main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CAN IT BE!!!??? Insider 96: The Imperial Issue

Discussion in 'Literature' started by 000, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    darth_shpdyr or something like that- It not that I am comparing or what not, but the premise for the magazine really sucks. No EU content, no good articles or short stories for that matter. And yes, I'll be one of the first ones to say it, after what I read on that magazine about the live action series, I'm just not thrilled. First its 100 hours episodes, then all of sudden we shoot up to 400, and now we are talking about maybe 2 years of deep, dark character driven stories, then we are going to branch off with some of the characters and create more 12 to 15 episodes each. This is sounding alot like the post ROTJ era to me. Great plans for the Ewok TV movies, then they became too expensive to make then we go straight for the animation that was done very well, but ....they cancelled the show.

2. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    How exactly is 400 episodes supposed to work anyway? Assuming standard 22-26 episode seasons, that's about 20 years of episodes. Is George Lucas kriffing insane?

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've noticed it's Rick McCallum who's often cited as naming off these figures. He's even claiming now that this show (or the other one) could expand into 4-5 different series in the future.

I like Rick and all, but seriously... it's like he's still on that power rush he got making the Prequels.

4. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    This is as old as the ANH-radiodrama.

5. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Concerning the current state of the Insider....

I'm still sore that I came on too late to read History of the Mandos. Don't suppose anyone has a scan of that or anything, do they? :( Anyone got an old issue that they're crazy enough to sell for cheap?

6. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    This TV series thing is going to make life interesting...somehow I doubt that it'll go on for as long as ol' Rick thinks it might. It's hard to sustain ratings for that long a period. Though they might be able to make it up on DVD sales, who knows...

I went ahead and bought the magazine...for purely egotistical reasons. ;) (That Q&A section...nice to see it in print and all... :D )

TC

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I do find it interesting that Rick says they're aiming for shorter 13-16 episode-long seasons, and planning to spinoff characters from the first 2 or 3 seasons into their own shows so you'll eventually have 5 or 6 smaller shows running at the same time. That could be how they're planning to reach a huge number of episodes in a short timespan, while focusing the budget onto a fewer number of episodes to raise the overall quality.

There's actually one really great tidbit of hope and reassurance for EU fans in the Death Star novel interview article- it mentions that the book focuses mostly on the latter end of the station's construction through the events fo ANH, and only touches on it's earlier origins. Which is great news, since it alleviates the concern many fans had that a completely detailed telling of it's entire history would open it up to the possibility of being contradicted by the Live Action series. Now it seems it's structure will allow the Death Star's history to continue to be somewhat malleable to any future retconning the series might require.

8. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Still, we should keep in mind that we'll continue to see prequel-sized continuity issues with every season of the TV shows. We'll have to brace ourselves, but this show should be pretty cool.

TC

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Naturally- but I think Death Star, had it gone into specificly detailed early history of the construction, stood to be most conflicted with, whereas the rest of the Dark Times era is a lot more open and less rigid, since it seems the EU's only been giving the first year or two after ROTS to play with so as to give the LA show some room.

10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Heh. That's the only issue of Insider I've got.

And I'm keeping it. [face_devil]

Sorry. Abel content > Cash.

11. DarthAskey

DarthAskey Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2007
    I got my copy today and it's by far the best since Titan took over.

I know a lot of people are complaining about the lack of EU stuff but I'm guessing there are factors as to why it's not there to the degree that some fans demand.

Firstly - it's the 30th anniversary! Maybe once the year is out the focus will shift away from ANH.

Secondly - Maybe there are issues with continuity that Lucasfilm is keen to keep a firm eye on. With the TV show on the way, perhaps they want to keep things tidy and not muddy the waters with established facts rather than speculation. It's fun to speculate, of course (happens on here all the time!) but they might be keen to control things so speculation doesn't become fact.

It's funny that some people are moaning about there being more Star Wars on the way! How can the TV show be anything other than a good thing!

I quite liked the message from the Emperor -- it was quite chilling!

Greg

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The answer was given by TalonCard above:
    Still, we should keep in mind that we'll continue to see prequel-sized continuity issues with every season of the TV shows.

These are continuity issues that could be avoided with the right attitude, but won't be.
    Hopefully they'll create another new category of canon: TV-canon.

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    They already have. T-canon.

14. DarthAskey

DarthAskey Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2007
    But..but...but...that's no reason to dread the TV show. I just don't get how you can think ill of something that is still at such an early stage.

Sure there might be continuity conflicts but so what if it's an exciting story, well told? I'm sure fans can sort out any issues.

G

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    For TFN: continuity > content

For the rest of the sane population in this world: content > continuity

16. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    No, for the sane population, content and continuity can coexist equally without either having to be sacrificed for the other. That's sanity.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Oh, I thought that was just for the cartoon.

18. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm not sure if it's been confirmed for the live action (or, really, if it's even been confirmed for the cartoon), but it's certainly ready and waiting for it.

19. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Why didn't anyone tell me that it's my Conan Antonio Motti question that gets answered?

Woot! AFAIK, first time my words have been printed in a national for-profit publication.

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Sounds like they're basically going for a Buffyverse kind of thing, but upping the scale a bit.

21. Dussan

Dussan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2007
    Imitating anything Joss Whedon has done is a good thing.

22. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Instead of answering, I'm going to post this completely (and I mean completely) irrelevant "Pearls Before Swine" comic strip I recently found among my old effects:

[image=http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/abelgpena/PearlsBeforeSwine.jpg]

I'll have an announcement to make shortly.

I think you mean most fanatical.

There are currently certain issues with Vader's Legacy appearing in its original form. However, I have reason to believe everyone's patience (including mine) will be rewarded. In the meantime, there's some pretty cool (and I mean cool) stuff coming up.

Abel

23. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    While we're on this completely (and I mean completely) irrelevant tangent, I think the people in the last panel are simply unrealistic. I mean, the cartoonist has shown to his readership that he's capable of very good work in the past, and with the newspaper that carries his strip under new ownership, and with those new owners repeatedly demonstrating across the board that they're not interested in quality comics, I think the people in the last panel must surely know where the fault lies - and it ain't with the cartoonist.

Doesn't mean they LIKE seeing their favorite cartoonist hamstrung like this, of course, but I guarantee that they'd be aware of it. At least the ones who appreciate comics, at any rate.

Still, even a hamstrung "Pearls Before Swine" is a marked improvement over a "Mary Worth" any day of the week. The people in the last panel should be glad they're getting it, and should also be mailing the newspaper to tell the editors that they should give the cartoonist more of a free hand, so that he can have the opportunity to make the sorts of comics they REALLY want to see. They should point out which comics have been good in the past, and even point to past letter columns where the old editors take note of the widespread positive response to the comic.

Hmm, on an unrelated note, I'm reminded that I have a letter I need to write.

Ooh, we like announcements!

You imply a disparity where none exists. ;-)

I had a hunch "Vader's Legacy" might have been in limbo long enough to need a revisiting. Alas. :-(

And by cool, you mean totally sweet? ;-)

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Really makes an aspiring cartoonist rethink the appeal of the situation. I'm certainly not buying any more newspapers with Mary Worth strips in them, and I'm of a mind to write the United Feature Syndicate and say so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.