main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can Obi-Wan ever have a romantic relationship???

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by QuantumRaven, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuantumRaven

QuantumRaven Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2004
    Can Obi-Wan ever have a romantic relationship???

Hey everybody. I hope you all had a nice Christmas (for those of you that celebrate it). Anyway I haven't posted anything for a few months, but once again I need help. For those of you that have forgotten I am making my own Fan Fiction of all 9 episodes of Star Wars, re-written for how I would have liked them to be. Anyway this time I am having problems with the much loved character Obi-Wan Kenobi.

In episode 2 I am thinking about putting him into a romantic relationship with Adi Gallia (a Jedi Knight the same age as him in my Fan Fiction). Now I know what most of you will say. JEDI CAN'T HAVE RELATIONSHIPS!!!!!!! I know this, but I was hoping to use the same idea that was used in Lucas Arts video game 'Knights of the Old Republic'. For those you who haven't played it, two Jedi characters become romantically involved because they share a bond. A mystic bond of the force, where their paths are linked. That is a very simplified version, but the idea is there. Now I was thinking of a similar thing for Obi-Wan and Adi.

I thought it might be an interesting plot development, because Adi will be captured at the start of the story by Darth Maul (yes he does survive. No Dooku!). Anyway Obi-Wan approaches the Council and asks permission to rescue Adi. To cut a long story short Yoda and co are against it (too dangerous plus the Jedi have their hands full protecting a Senatorial conference), but Mace Windu and several other support Obi-Wan. Yoda finally relents, allowing Kenobi, Windu and any several others find Adi. It later turns out Adi is bait, to lure some of the most powerful Jedi away from the Republic and kill them (using a General Grievous like character), while Darth Sidious puts into action his plan to destroy the Jedi.

It would also be interesting to see how Obi-Wan's relationship contrasts Anakin's, one being open and supported by the Council, the other in secret.

Any ideas, suggestions are most welcome.

2. Darth_Suzi

Darth_Suzi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2004
    It all depends, really. If its dealt with correctly, any romantic relationship can work in a fic, as long as they have motivations, romantic feelings, etc. I tend to think that romances with Old Republic Jedi tend to be more interesting, for the simple reason that they're forbidden.

Now, Obi-Wan is a special case. I don't pretend to be an expert--I'm not a huge fan of Obi-Wan romances, since in canon he lived in a desert for twenty years. No long-lasting relationships in sight there. However, since you're doing an AU, it's a bit different. However, for Obi-Wan, it depends on where he is in his life. The Obi-Wan of TPM and AotC is a very by-the-books Jedi. By RotS, I have a feeling that will have changed quite a bit, for various reasons. In your AU, if he's drastically different then it is possible to have him in a romantic relationship. I can't see him as he is in AotC actively pursuing one, though.

It could be interesting, however, if you did do the bond thing. (I can't play KOTOR, so I don't know precisely what you're talking about, but I get the general idea.) Since Obi-Wan and Adi Gallia are both very...Jedi-ish...Jedi, for lack of a better word, it would be interesting to see them forced into a romantic relationship that neither of them wants, because they don't want to break the rules. Assuming, again, an AotC-like Obi-Wan. [face_thinking]

Sorry if I was terribly unhelpful.

3. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    Adi is way too old for Obi-Wan

it's Adi's Padawan, Siri Tachi, who Obi-Wan gets involved with. And yes, Obi-Wan's romantic relationship with Siri is cannon. There's a new book coming out next year to prove it.

I believe it was called "Secrets of the Jedi" or something like that and it spans three generations with lots of flashback and flashforward type story telling engines... it looks like my kind of book.

4. QuantumRaven

Aug 12, 2004
    Well the joy of creating your own Fan Fiction is that you can change anything you like. I had planned to have Adi Gallia the same age as Obi-Wan, but I will look into her Padawan and see if I want to change it.

To answer the other post, yes Obi-Wan will be very by the book. That is why the force is forcing them together, even though both he and Adi fight their feelings. Obi-Wan's mission to find Adi is the first time he allows his emotions to get the better of him.

The whole point is that because of the will of the force, Obi-Wan, Windu and several other powerful Jedi are kept out of the major massacre of the Jedi, and are able to return and aid the Jedi in escaping Coruscant at the end of episode 2.

Later in episode 3, Obi-Wan and Adi will have accepted their feelings for each other. This makes it sadder when she is killed. At the moment I am not sure who kills her. If Darth Maul kills her, it only adds to the pain as Maul also killed Qui-Gon, creating a vendetta between Maul and Obi-Wan (dark side). If Anakin kills her, it may make the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin more interesting, with the reader unsure if Obi-Wan is fighting for revenge.

5. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Well, the cool thing about fanfic is that you can do whatever you like. I personally have written Obi-Wan in a relationship, married even. If it's done well, it works. He's a very by the book, studious, staunch Jedi in canon, so going the AU route is probably best. But, as was said above, I think Adi is way too old for Obi-Wan. Siri Tachi, Adi's padawan is Obi-s age and would be the better candidate for a romantic relationship with him. But it's your story, don't let us tell ya how to write it. :)

6. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Quite simply? No. He's too into the ideas of the order to have a romantic relationship.

7. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    In my version of the GFFA, which is meant to be be at least plausibly canon, Jedi can sort of have romantic relationships, the way they sort of have parent/child relationships in the Master/Padawan bond. The idea is that you can love another person, but your devotion to the Force has to come first. In fact, in an ideal Jedi relationship, both parties encourage the other to make the Force their first priority. A Jedi "romantic partner" is actually something closer to a friend/spiritual adviser/coach. People in such relationships can be very close to one another, just as Jedi friends or Masters and Padawans can be very close. However, unlike in non-Jedi marriage, the focus in Jedi "romance" is never on the relationship itself. Rather, the focus is on drawing both partners closer to the Force. Think a slightly warped version of marriage, as between fanatical Puritans who are more interested in their religion than in each other, or a "platonic romance" as in "Brother Sun, Sister Moon."

I think it actually works rather well with Obi-Wan, since he's such a loopy Jedi fanatic that he can actually love someone a great deal and yet still have his duty to the Force be his first priority.

8. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    My response to Adi being way too old.

[Cody in his best Short Round voice] Maybe he like older women [/shorty] :p

9. QuantumRaven

Aug 12, 2004
    Hey all. Thanks for the posts. I love how what ever question I have (no matter how stupid); people are always willing to give me their opinion. Thanks a lot. After my initial post I wrote a few pages of my Episode 2 script involving Obi-Wan learning about the bond he shares with Adi. After reading it through I decided that my initial thoughts were not a good idea.

I wanted a story line that rivalled Anakin and Padme, where Obi-Wan/Adi fought their feelings while Anakin actively pursued his. Sadly it ended up making the Anakin/Padme story seem less important. I have decided to remove any aspect of an Obi-Wan/Adi relationship so that I can contrast Obi-Wan stern devotion to the Jedi with Anakin's disregard of the Jedi Code.

As a final point I didn't know that Adi Gallia has a Padawan learner. After reading a bit about her in the unofficial guide, I have decided to kill off Siri Tachi at the start of Episode 2. Don't know if this will be unpopular or not.

10. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    [Cody in his best Short Round voice] Maybe he like older women [/shorty]

LMAO! Nice. :p

I think it's fine to have Adi in there, so long as you make it clear from the very beginning that she and Obi-Wan are the same age. But then, I kinda like that Mrs. Robinson aspect. [face_laugh]

As far as Obi-Wan and romance goes, I agree with ophelia. I don't think Obi-Wan would necessarily deny himself those romantic feelings, be they for a Jedi or non-Jedi, but he would definitely put his devotion and loyalty to the Jedi Order first and foremost. That, I think, is what really drives a wedge between him and Anakin.

11. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Obi-Wan cared for Siri very much and if things were different (i.e some people had not died to leave Obi-Wan alone with Anakin) I think they would have pursued a relationship. Jedikma, writes a Siri/Obi-Wan relationship very well. It's believable.

So, Obi-Wan (imho) would pursue a relationship if he were truly, deeply in love. But he would never let that jepordize his place in the Order. It would most likely be the sweet and caring sort of love instead of the burning, passionate kind. :)

I highly doubt this has made sense seeing as how I stayed up all night playing video games. (And I usually HATE video games. :p ) But it was Star Wars so how could I say no? :)

12. jmenk421

jmenk421 Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2004
    A couple of thoughts here:

Given that both are Jedi and highly tuned to the Force, perhaps they would have no need for a physical romantic relationship. It would still be highly intimate, but would involve sensing and (for lack of a better term )manipulating each other with the Force. Think very personal mind tricks - or the pool scene from Cocoon. (That's a stretch, but you get the idea. No one has to touch each other physically to be fulfilled.)

The other thought I had stems from a really old Merlin trillogy written by Mary Stewart. In the first book, a young Merlin falls in love and is in a romantic moment with his intended. He discovers - almost too late - that in order to retain his powers, he must remain chaste and ignorant of physical love. Always thought that would be an interesting premise for a Jedi fic, but very hard to keep that PG-13.

13. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    In my opinion Obi Wan is human and as such is prone to human feelings. I think this makes Obi Wan a very interesting character as if he ever fell in love (siri in sotj) then it would be at odds with everything he ever believed in. His reaction to falling in love would be different from Anakin's as it is alien to what he knows. I think Obi Wan should find someone to love even if it is short and sweet. It makes him seem more human. If he falls in love with a Jedi as the story here proposes then at least he is with someone else who understands how difficult it would be. If he fell in love with an outsider it could be said that she would not understand his hesitancy as much.

14. Viola_Telcontar

Viola_Telcontar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 14, 2004
    I had the idea of comparing a relationship Ani/Padmé with Obi-Wan/OC (in my story Siri), too, but decided not to post it. It is very seducing to show a way things could have worked out for Anakin and give an example what it might be. You see I understand your struggle...

If it works for you post it. If you feel a little uncomfortable post it and ask the audience what they think. If the readers are annoyed change it. If you feel very uncomfortable don't post it. You are free to do what ever you want. If you think gravity is annoying you are free to create a world where it doesn't exist. That's the fun about fiction! Change the laws of nature. Change time and place. Change what doesn't feel right. The limit is just your imagination.
    Your problem (as I understand it) is not to let Obi-Wan have a relationship, but to stay in character. That is really difficult as most of us have learned the hard way. It all depends. What does your muse say? What about your feelings? Is it necessary? Where to draw the line? Is the character still recognizable? How far can you go?
    I only can say try it. Take your liberties. Free your mind...

Viola

15. QuantumRaven

Aug 12, 2004
    But does a relationship with another Jedi make Obi-Wan a hypocrite. How can he tell Anakin not to pursue a relationship with Padme when he is doing the same thing? Do the Jedi condemn Anakin for his romantic intention towards Padme? Is it because he is too young, just a Padawan, or perhaps because Padme is not a Jedi. Would the Council say that a Jedi cannot have romantic involvement, unless it is with another Jedi. Does the Jedi Council have that sort of power, to limit their Jedi and control their emotions? What happens if a Jedi breaks the rules (If the Jedi Order wasn't destroyed, what would they have done when they found out about Anakin and Padme).

Secondly the problem I had in my story was that Adi (Obi-Wan's romantic interest. And she was the same age as him in my fiction) had gone missing while on a dangerous mission, and Obi-Wan wanted to rescue her. In fact Darth Maul had captured her, as a way to draw Obi-Wan away from the Republic. Now I doubt the Council would approve of Obi-Wan risking his life on such a dangerous mission, assuming Obi-Wan's judgment was impaired due to his feelings. Obi-Wan can't defy the Council. That?s not his style. When I wrote part of it, it just seemed that he was torn between the Council and his emotions. It just made him seem compromised, and unable to make rational decisions. Anakin should be the irrational one, defying the Council for love. Obi-Wan must be the one who stands true to the Council, trying to remind Anakin of his obligations to the Jedi, and ultimately represent everything Anakin hates about the Jedi.

16. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Anakin should be the irrational one, defying the Council for love. Obi-Wan must be the one who stands true to the Council, trying to remind Anakin of his obligations to the Jedi, and ultimately represent everything Anakin hates about the Jedi.

With that, I think you've answered your first question. It's much more dangerous for Anakin to pursue a romantic relationship because he's not as in control of his powers and emotions as Obi-Wan is. In AOTC, he was willing to break off pursuit of Dooku in order to rescue Padme. While that is completely understandable, it goes against his committment to the Jedi Order, which is what Obi-Wan is constantly reminding him.

Obi-Wan is much more serene - he could probably handle putting a committment to the Order ahead of any kind of romantic relationship obligations. But like anyone else, he has his darker side, and the interesting question is where his breaking point would be. At what point would he ignore the rules and run off to save a loved one? That might be something you want to bring up in your story, if you want a reason for why Obi-Wan would go after Adi.

17. QuantumRaven

Aug 12, 2004
    Hey I guess I did. The Jedi Forum has helped me out once again. It is interesting to find out what Obi-Wan's breaking point really is. I think that he would only act against the Jedi Council if he thought that he was acting in the best interest of the Jedi. That is why he decided to train Anakin against Yoda's opinion. He thought that Anakin would bring balance to the force, and would help the Jedi in the long run. It was Obi-Wan's arrogance that made him think that he was better than the Council, ignoring the threats of Anakin's dark side.

Somehow I cannot believe he would ever go against the Jedi for private reasons, such as his love for another unless there was a higher purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.