main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can we have an "Official girl/guy I need help dating/crisis" thread in the JCC?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by The Mentos® Strikes Back, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Mentos® Strikes Back

The Mentos® Strikes Back Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2000
    That place is littered with every-other member's sob story thread/advice asking thread... can't we just throw it all into one nice neatly contained thread?

2. The Mentos® Strikes Back

Apr 4, 2000
    Or maybe even an entire new forum for this so its all in one place. I can imagine everyone talking about their problems and everyone replying to specific situations all in one thread.... nightmere!

3. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    While I agree that there are too many threads, there are not so many that they can't be ignored. Also, some are interesting but if there is one long thread, I'm never going to read them.

4. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

see below ;)

|
    |
    |
    V

5. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    one day mentos will have a problem and noone will read it becasue its all in one long thread [face_plain]

6. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    It's a nice idea, but it'll never happen.

7. Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof

Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 19, 2000
    Actually, we've been talking about just this (and a few other ideas to improve the JCC) in the mod squad over the past few days. There should be an official announcement about it in the mod update later today.

8. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Don't be so sure it won't happen.

9. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Do we really need this? It's not like these dating crisis-type threads are every other topic on the front page.

10. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "Do we really need this? It's not like these dating crisis-type threads are every other topic on the front page."

No, but aside from movie topics, there are probably more dating advice threads than anything else. And I've noticed that there are a couple of users who continually start new threads each time something new happens in their love life. At the very least they could just confine all of their "news" to one thread.

Amazing.

11. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    It just amazes me (no pun intended, AmazingB) how people can ask total strangers on the Internet for advice about private issues. :confused:

12. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Actually, it's very easy, Daughter_Of_TheForce. Although I personally would not do it.

The internet is anonymous. You're not asking friends who may judge you and spread rumors. You're asking strangers, no online friends, for advice. You can hide behind anonymity; no one will ever know whether you took their adivce or not, and since we do all come from different backgrounds, there are people who offer good advice.

Were I to ask for help online, I would never consider it serious, but perhaps it would offer an angle I hadn't thought of.

Also, it's a place to release your problem; to vent. That solves a lot, IMHO

I think what AmazingB proposed is a very good idea. People who continually start multiple threads about their love life, should be limited to one.

13. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    it's good when we can come to the JCC and ask for opinions. It shows that we value the comments and thoughts of our fellow posters. Each person's circumstances are unique. lumping everything into one thread would confuse issues. wouldn't having a separate forum be unnecessary? there aren't THAT many of these threads, and if you don't want to read it, just scroll past it, just move along, move along. :D

14. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

I still don't understand the logic of asking lots of Star Wars Fans who are posting on a Message Board, about Romance and Life and etc etc.

Surely, you should go to "AgonyAuntsforum.com" or whatever?

I mean, If I need to know the name of the third guy killed in ANH, I go to The Jedi Council, Obscure nostalgia question, tvcream.

See the pattern?

UKS

15. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    the problem isn't people asking for love advice and whatnot. the problem is that these threads are getting ridiculously extraneous. as Amazing said, there are people who start multiple threads about their own inability to deal with the opposite sex. i would think that one person needs one thread. i think one of the reasons that so many different people are starting these types of threads is that it's becoming a "monkey see, monkey do" type thing. a person sees other people starting threads to ask for advice and so they figure they might as well start their own. also, many of these "love problems" are very trivial and could be combined with other peoples threads. i mean, i'm sorry but i don't think a "a girl talked to me today. what do i do?!" type thread is gonna significantly change anyone's life. those kinds of threads should definitely be combined. as for a "love forum" i think it would only work if teh GrippZ was in charge of it. i hear he's a real don johnson. [face_mischief]

16. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    This all seems to go back to the "Cleanup of the JCC" discussion. From what I have heard, there is discussion on this in the MS, so I hope that we will hear what the "official" word is.

Oh, and just so you know, I vote for "The official love advice thread, your questions answered by GriffZ" to be the title of any "dating advice thread" ;)

17. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    I would rather have a forum about it than one thread. One thread guarantees that everybody's stories/questions/etc. will get lost and/or ignored. Plus, though the different threads ARE all about relationships, they are all just different enough that I think it would be weird to try to stuff them all in one thread.

I, personally, don't mind them, though I am getting a little tired of the "Help! I'm 11.5 and I've never had a girlfriend! Am I completely hopeless?" But I'm not as sick of those as I am of 3/4 of the responses to a thread being "You are if you're asking a bunch of Star Wars geeks on a Star Wars message board."

18. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, we shouldnt start a forum for dating threads...that ridiculous.

Ariana is right about the official thread...the problem with one official thread is that people will post, but it might get ignored amongst the other members asking for help.

However there should definitely be a cap on these threads. One member shouldnt be allowed more than one thread.

Mind you, if the mods are going to do something about it, it had better be as a part of a bigger policy that doesnt single out only one or two trouble areas. There are a lot of things that need to be cleaned up...while annoying, this isnt one of the big problems there.

There should be a policy instituted that takes care of many problem areas, of which this is just one....this should come under redundancy, whereas the overall policy should include redundancy, social threads, spam, and moderator conduct amongst other things.

19. The Mentos® Strikes Back

Apr 4, 2000
    I will never, never create such a thread... If I want advice on love, I've got friends I can talk to face-to-face. That's my choice, this forum is yours; each to their own.

20. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    too many threads? mods/mgrs/admins can lock them for redundancy.

21. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    I think we need a new board for the discussion of "I have 5000 posts." In the last three or four weeks, I have personally seen nearly 2, and that's one to many.

22. V Wing Fighter Pilot

V Wing Fighter Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    I agree with The Mentos® Strikes Back, its really getting nuts seeing all these "I cant get a date" threads.

23. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I agree that you can't start a new forum on for these, not only is that just plain stupid considering this is a SW message board, but if you keep taking stuff out of the YJCC its just going to turn into 100+ pages of spam.

I hope to see what the MS has planned for this soon. The whole thing is starting to get pretty ridiculus. You've got posts on how many posts you have, you've got posts on what people are watching on TV, heck I'm suprised you don't have any threads on what color the bugger someone just picked was (why do I have a feeling there is going to be a link for that somewhere down the page :p ).

If we start an offical relationship thread can we get one for "I'm so depressed" too. You see what four or five of those a week. The only advice is "it will get better".

24. Redundancy

Redundancy Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 11, 2002
    These threads are starting to get annoying. It wasn't as bad when there was one per week or so, but recently there seems to have been at least one per day. I am anxiously awaiting the administration's solution to this problem.

Redundancy - isn't a love counselor, so don't ask him for advice
    King of Everything Redundant

25. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    In the last three or four weeks, I have personally seen nearly 2

Nerf, you sound like a camelspotter. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a thread called "ArtMaul's Love Jungle" or somesuch, which was set up for love advice(or more correctly, was a continuation of "Kozzai asked out Padme!!!!!", and went on from where that left off)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.