main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Canadian Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Duck, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Haha I always love it when Trudeau gets exposed as a fraud. It doesn't happen enough. Too bad it benefits an even worse person.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah that's the only bad part of this. Because the Shadenfreude for poor pretty rich boy is amazing..but the election going to conservatives is not.

3. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I feel bad for him, that as a 29-year-old man living in Vancouver he didn't have a single friend. Because if he had had a single friend they would've told him "that's a bit much, Justin."

I still see the Liberals winning a minority. Trudeau is good at apologizing and now he gets to do that for a week. He's going to cry on camera, talk about learning and his fans will eat it up and the on-the-fencers will adore his sincerity. I think this makes for a far messier and dirtier campaign than I would want, with a lot of moral posturing and grandstanding that will take focus off issues.

Plus I think the PPC are going to pull more votes from the Tories than the polls say (I think they take up to 5% of the vote, nationally if Bernier has a good couple debates. Bernier on stage is more reasonable sounding than Bernier on Twitter).

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 and Rew like this.
  4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Maybe we should be more like them.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Thanks, I appreciate the context. I suspected there would be some extreme hypocrisy there but without actually knowing Canadian politics...

Basically.

BigAl6ft6 and Joystick Chevron like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Talking head crisis management Yankee folk opines:

“Every time there’s a corporate apology, 100 per cent of the time – not 99, 100 per cent of the time – it’s deemed to have been mishandled,” he said.

“Race is the cyanide pill of crisis management. It’s really, really rough to get out of.

“With Twitter culture, no matter what you do, there’s no way anybody will be satisfied with it.”

Trudeau’s ability to recover from the scandal, Dezenhall said, may hinge on the fact that a large portion of the voting public is “tired of this stuff”.

“People put themselves in situations and ask themselves, ‘did I do anything stupid when I was younger?’ – even though he wasn’t actually that young.

“There is something to be said for underscoring the difference between doing something profoundly stupid and whether there’s a track record of bigotry… and with him, I don’t think there is.”

Anyway, I wasn't voting Liberal so doesn't change my vote aside from being embarrassed that Trudeau may represent Canada on a national stage really (if he is re-elected, which I highly doubt now). But main reason I wasn't voting Lib anyway was the candidate in my area is Bob Bratina who was Mayor of Hamilton for years and then kicked it up to Fed and I didn't like him as Mayor (almost lost mah football stadium dangit and the new one could have been closer to where I live if not for him!) anyway and dude, give me a break from all of you, really.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  8. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    So I'm not really following this closely, but why doesn't Trudeau just say "okay, I did some stupid crap when I was younger...I'm sorry, it's not going to happen again" and just be done with it? That's a plausible, human-sounding apology isn't it?

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    that's basically what he's been saying for 24 hours going on probably a month from now at every public appearance.

Darth_Duck and Rew like this.
  10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Because he's part of cancel culture and they cancel people for doing the same stuff.

Live by the woke, die by the woke.

DarthTunick likes this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I have no idea what cancel culture is.

heels1785 likes this.
  12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    That's for the best but stay off Twitter to be safe

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The point shouldn't be that he's a hypocrite. The guy put on brownface to dress up as Aladdin when he was 29 years old in 2001. (I like how the photo is in black and white so it makes it a lot easier for stupid apologists to proclaim it was A Long Time Ago.) I turned fourteen in 2001 and I knew that was a ****ed up thing to do. It was long taboo at that point among people with any sense. Teenager? Fine, teenagers do stupid things. He was a grown-ass adult and he's done this **** seemingly a thousand times.

He also is clearly still that person in important ways. Would a guy who's learned from his racist past treat the First Nations the way he has? Would he be supporting the Saudi massacre of Yemenis? Would he be happily fueling the Canadian petrostate and contributing substantially to the climate crisis that will impact that developing world in a much bigger way than it will impact rich white Canadians (at least at first)? The guy who put on brown and black makeup when he was younger doesn't care about brown and black people.

But he let in a few thousand Syrian refugees so he's alright I guess.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  14. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Don't get mad at me, I'm not the thousands of liberals in /r/onguardforthee (sjws come up with the cringiest names for things) defending him

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Eh? I'm not mad at you. I know you aren't defending him.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  16. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Maybe...but if he's smart he should act like he does.

17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I really don't get why rich white people love blackface so much like holy ****

Point Given likes this.
  18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    usually it's because they are racist as ****.

Darth Guy likes this.
  19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Thanks for mentioning that subreddit, Vivec. I now hate those people. The line of argument is "The Conservatives are worse!!1" Yeah, no ****.

Lord Vivec and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    This guy really, really likes pretending to be another race.

Indian dances
    and boxing gloves without laces
    racial stereotypes and brown paint on faces
    promises, promises attached with strings
    these are a few of my favorite things

Maybe that’s because corporate apologies and crisis management are artificial, phony, insincere, guiltless, and cold blooded, just like politicians. People don’t want crisis management. People don’t want speeches or scripts, they want something real. A corporation put into a human body in a suit is incapable of a real apology, because it’s not a real human being.

Something like this, but with 1000% more remorse.

The problem is Trudeau can’t make that promise after his trip to India. This was completely predictable after that. We all should have known. To paraphrase Chappelle, he cosplays another race all the time. He’s probably doing it right now.

21. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    I hope either May or Singh brings up Trudeau going against First Nations children in court in order to keep underfunding them on reserves and his ongoing selling of arms to the Saudi in one of the next debates. His active neglect of Indigenous peoples and role in the Yemen genocide demonstrate how he prioritizes corporations and government revenues over racial justice.

Trudeau and Sheer have lost the moral authority to govern with their actions over the years. But as long as Canadians remain stuck in the strategic voting mentality (holding one's nose to vote Liberal to stop a Scheer government, holding one's nose to vote Conservative to stop a Trudeau government), we'll keep voting for these **** traditional parties and we'll suffer the consequences. I don't know what it's going to take for people to consider the Greens and/or NDP en masse in order to have better governance...we have better options in our multi parties system but we're wasting them because older generations are stuck in the binary Lib-or-Con prison. No wonder the youth is uninspired...

22. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    As a Canadian born with a brown face, I've been reading this thread to see why I should be offended. But I'm not offended. I don't think I really care about this.

But this makes me think of something one of my friends once told me--it seems that sjws concerned about race aren't really representative of the supposedly offended races, but are simply trying to accumulate sjw "points" (kind of like that theory proposed by Aziz Ansari in his recent Netflix special).

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I don't know about Canada's history with white people in blackface/brownface, but here in the US, there's a very extensive, and unfortunate history with it. Cliff notes version is that blackface/brownface in the US has traditionally been used to mock black people and other people of color. It has heavy connotations with racism for those of us in the US, which is why it sparks such outrage when a person, especially a high profile person is discovered in blackface/brownface.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Just fyi, you don't need to feel offended for something to be wrong and offensive. I don't feel offended about this but that doesn't mean it's not wrong, hurtful, or offensive. I think there's a misconception that people need to be "TRIGGERED" or whatnot due to chuds constantly saying people who call anyone who calls out bigotry as being triggered or offended. But it's not the case. What is the case is that blackface is wrong and offensive, even if nobody is feeling personally offended.

25. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Going to give an outside perspective.

And born and raised in a rather different (and francophone, not anglophone) culture, I had no idea "blackface" was even a word, let alone used to describe something perceived as racially offensive, when I turned thirty-six in 2017.

Obviously, I have now processed how blackface is perceived, but the offensive character of the act is never going to resonate with me - it's an intellectual concept, for me, not an emotional one, which brings in a different perspective still. And speaking of which...

This hits close to home. And to speak blunt, unvarnished truth: these stories coming out about Trudeau going blackface (and apparently brownface / yellowface / etc.) haven't been brought up because of some need to make Trudeau atone for his past. This is an election campaign.

Or even more bluntly: we're reading and watching Trudeau in blackface because someone else who doesn't give a damn is benefiting from it, and using those foolish enough to refuse to give them satisfaction.