main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Canadian Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Duck, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    This is kind of ridiculous. "Even if no one is offended, it's still offensive."

I'm not defending the guy, btw. I just don't care about this and think it's odd how so many SJWs shout racism and offensive when the people that these situations are often pertinent to don't care in many cases.

I understand why it's offensive in US culture. But I don't think this case warrants the accusations of racism or whatnot.

Darth Smurf and Lordban like this.
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Your country isn't so much better about race than the US.

God I hate when Canadians think their history is perfect.

3. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Which is not the point Ezio was making at all.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Canada, as do most Western countries, has it's own history of blackface.

And even if it didn't, it has a history of colonialism and slavery and genocide and the oppression of non-Europeans. Trudeau's portrayal-- playing a Jamaican stereotype, playing an Orientalist caricature of an Arab person-- is still clearly treating people of color as less than him. And it matters because he continues following that mindset.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Rew and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  5. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    This matters to people who aren't SJWs? Interesting.

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes yes, saying "SJW" over and over invalidates all reasonable arguments.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Here's another thing: calling everything racist also helps undermine real acts of racism.

It seems to me that the vocal majority of people who find racism in everything aren't even part of the groups they're claiming offense on the behalf of.

Also, what minority groups are genuinely offended by this? Are your minority friends or family offended?

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I can imagine Jagmeet Singh is genuinely offended. Liberal politicians have said it's wrong, though of course they also have to tout their leader's diversity bona fides.

And while anecdotal evidence is really stupid, yes, I do know a couple of people of color who are offended. Not many people I know even pay attention to Canadian politics.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yes, Ezio, it matters that the leader of my country engaged in acts that suggest my race is a lesser one, as Guy said.

Perhaps you're not aware, and I don't blame you since you're in the US, but the leader of the NDP party, Jagmeet Singh, is a brown man.

Ah yes, all those black people in BLM are definitely not black!

starfish, CT-867-5309, Rew and 6 others like this.
  10. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Perhaps I'm not as sensitive as others. I've experienced racism first hand, both in Canada and the United States. This event from decades ago doesn't seem malicious enough or relevant enough to irk me.

But I'll concede that others obviously feel differently.

However, as I understand it, BLM was based on drawing awareness to police brutality towards a specific demographic. Comparing that with this is absurd.

11. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I don't think it was malicious either. But it was stupid and ignorant. And it's part of an ignorant pattern, from the blackface rendition of "Day O" in high school, to his full black-bodied video, his Arabian Nights get-up, to his India trip where he was just way to comfortable cosplaying his way around the country. Sure, there was no makeup that time, but there was an ease at which he just stepped into the aesthetic of another culture. There's this cluelessness that still hangs around him.

I think he's sincere when he apologizes. I think he mostly understands how he's hurt people seeing these pictures. You're not one of the hurt people, Ezio, but anecdotally, I do have some pretty hurt friends from a number of backgrounds. I also have a bunch of friends who don't give a flying **** about this, or who are fauxtraged by this. And I have a lot of friends defending him. I'm mostly annoyed at his stupidity. I was 13 and he was 29 in 2001. I knew better, he should've known better. He could've owned up to this sometime since becoming an MP, turned it into a learning moment, but he didn't and now this is the election.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and Lordban like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It’s the casual disregard and the fact that you can literally don another race as if darkening your face was a costume theme that makes it a problem.

But if it were just about a costume, it wouldn’t be an issue. It’s becsuse of the racist history of black face throughout the Western World. And don’t say it’s just an American thing. You can go to Europe and find an entire trend of black and brown facial features used in art and decoration to mean savage, uncivilized, or comical.

We don’t think it’s a big deal because we are used to that kind of racism. It’s normal. But it’s still racism. We say we live in an equal society but we don’t. Equality under the law is nice. But racist attitudes have impacts on real people. It’s not just that someone feels offended.

Though? PS? Being racially offensive is still wrong.

And yes, this is all part of a politically-motivated leak to damage a candidate during an election. Obviously. That doesn’t mean we should ignore it.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - we get the occasional 'black face' story in the press here (also someone dressing as a Nazi for a party). I'm white, so not a person of color. However there's a different between doing stuff like this twenty years ago and doing it yesterday. I'm sure we all did stuff when we were younger that we'd be ashamed of now. But that long ago we didn't have Twitter or FB for someone to call us out on it at the time.

Lordban, Juliet316 and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He was like 28, wasn’t he? He wasn’t a child.

The issue wasn’t that he didn’t think hard enough about getting caught, the issue was that he did it at all. In 2001.

Is it disqualifying? I’ll leave that to the Canadians. But is it bad? Yes.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Give him a break. The Jazz Singer had just come out!

DarthTunick likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I mainly just think this is one of the many, many reasons Trudeau can be a toolbag, frankly.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm just gonna go ahead and say here that this isn't a question of "sensitivity." To imply that people who have a problem with this are somehow sensitive and you're tougher is insulting to be very honest and feeds into this idea that calling out racist stuff is somehow weakness. It's not.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Entirely shocked that white progressives don't care about a progressive idol doing something racist.

21. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I got a sign for my local NDP candidate and volunteered to drive people to vote on election day.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    People forgetting that Trudeau is the government they're protesting

[​IMG]

24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He is a talented actor. He should be in a Star Wars movie.

25. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017

Why an insurance broker?