main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Canadian Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Duck, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The only time I haven't voted NDP was when I was living in BC and voted for May in 2011. Besides that the ridings I've voted in have had NDP incumbents. Not this time. I still can't forgive my fellow Haligonians for voting out Megan Leslie last time around. Were she still in office voting for her again would be a no-brainer.

Most people I talk to aren't tired of the Liberals. I think most of my friends would be happy with a permanent Liberal government. And only partially because of the pot.

If it's a Liberal minority government where the opposition can get some policies through, like Douglas did with Pearson and like Layton kinda did with Martin, then I might sleep better at night.

The Munk foreign policy debate on the 1st will be these three again.

If only someone would run a campaign on making every vote count and ending first-past-the-post...

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

2. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Megan Leslie would have been an excellent NDP leader. I was so unbelievably shocked she lost her seat, it really showed the strength of the strategic Liberal anti-Harper vote in 2015. The NDP was the first casualty that night.

I voted for Layton in 2011 but for May in 2015. I thought Mulcair would make a great first New Democrat PM, but my local Green candidate was better and I preferred the Green platform. I'm leaning Green for 2019 as well, but we'll see which candidates the parties put in my riding and how the leaders do in the next debates. I've felt alienated by the NDP for a while, but still do not want to completely close the door due to my membership and great party history. So we'll see...

I've only ever had Liberal incumbents anywhere I've lived. My MP now is Dominic LeBlanc, whose seat is one of the country's redder riding. I feel a lot of movement in youth breaking away from the Liberals and getting more interested in the Greens and NDP. Because of all the promises Trudeau broke. On the climate, on Indigenous issues, on electoral reform, etc.

"2015 will be the last election under F-....Oh. Oh."

Rew likes this.
  3. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Leslie would've been a tremendous leader. When Leslie and Peter Stoffer weren't getting reelected I knew it was going to be a very bad night for the NDP, and was it ever.

If I were the unscrupulous type and I lived in your riding I would be campaigning so hard for LeBlanc right now in hopes of some of that sweet, sweet patronage.

I'm glad you're seeing movement left in the youth. The thirtysomethings in my life just go with Justin because "Really, you know there isn't any alternative."

4. Empress Shatterpoint

Jan 5, 2013
    I'm a young millennial so my friends are disproportionally in their twenties. They went Liberal by a landslide last time round but I'm expecting a real division of party choices this time. I have noticed that people in their 30s to 45-ish in my surroundings are much more likely to stay with the Libs though. So your observation pretty much matches mine.

One thing for sure, millennials will be the largest voting block in October. So if they bother to show up at the polls, they could decide this election. But will they?

5. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    So, (sad) news on the debate front; they're letting Bernier up on stage for the the two Leaders' Debate Commission debates.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/maxime-bernier-debates-commission-election-1.5285162

Also, this is interesting:

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/federal/2019/battlegrounds

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Bernier is going to take away some PC votes so at least it won't help them.

I got unsolicited paper mail from Justin Trudeau (even addressed me by my first name so fancy autoprinting) I didn't want or ask for so bye bye Liberal vote. Nobody send me anything dangit it's just a strike against you

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  7. Empress Shatterpoint

Jan 5, 2013
    The only riding where the PPC has a shot of winning is in Bernier's Beauce. As the incumbent and most known figure, he's got the advantage. But elsewhere, the PPC'll maybe take 2-5% of CPC votes and likely lead to Liberal victories in tight ridings. But the CPC is putting a popular pro supply management farmer in Beauce against Bernier, so it's going to be quite the race there.

Parties should only get invited if they have a minimum of one MP elected under their banners. Bernier was elected under the CPC, so IMHO he shouldn't qualify. And he has nothing of value to say anyway, it's going to be wasted time.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yikes

Would this be a campaign killer for Trudeau?

EDIT: he's doing a press conference now, very awkward.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  9. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Who's more miscast as Aladdin: Justin Trudeau or the guy from the live action remake?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Holy god damn how did this not come out before? Big yikes.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    was it supposed to be Aladdin as Prince Ali or something or Jafar? Anyway, if Trudeau is re-elected this is an end to his cosplay Halloween costumes for sure. I did like the Empire Strikes Back family, though.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    God so I've been looking at all the Liberals try to downplay this on Reddit. All of a sudden the woke libs are going "it doesn't matter what he did 20 years ago!" despite caring about it a lot when it's conservatives who get caught in black face

Darth Guy and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. Empress Shatterpoint

Jan 5, 2013
    Anytime I think this campaign can't get worst, it does.

I don't think this will stick to the end, but I expect to see a drop in the polls this week. Please please please, let there be a minority government...

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The news cycle does move very fast but this is a huge thing that seems like it'll stick. Literally all the other candidates have to do is "Hey, I've never been in blackface" and they'll automatically look better. Something like Trump's Access Hollywood tape seemed like it would sink him too but we Canadians are a bit more of a proper sort where this wouldn't fly and look bad in the eyes of other nations. Trudeau's every single stop is basically just going to be an apology tour for a month straight. The press conference already had him saying this nugget: "I've been more enthusiastic about costumes than is sometimes appropriate." Yeesh.

"Sorry about the mess, eh!" Indeed Very appropriate thread title.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Darth_Duck likes this.
  15. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    I have nothing to say that isn't an explitive filled tirade.

But I will say this: I feel terrible that Gord Downie wasted some of his last breaths praising this ****head in front of a national audience.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yikes. 2001. That feels like a long time ago and maybe it was long time ago, but it is also far, far too late to say that he didn't know it was racist at the time.

Canadians, what do you think about the Conservative leader making hay of it? Obviously, brownface is wrong regardless of the politics of who did it -- but do you have the sense that Scheer is being politically opportunistic, or is this a line that even they wouldn't cross?

(For example, if it were a Republican here making that condemnation, I'd hardly hear them over the sound of their tremendous hypocrisy).

17. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I loathe living in a world where intent no longer matters. It says we are no longer people, just a collection of acts.

SuperWatto likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I fully expect this picture to be plastered across PC TeeVee ads in about a week, I would be surprised if it wasn't

19. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    I would say Andrew Scheer has no room to say anything ever about anything based on:
    -Saying he will stand by any conservative candidates that have done racist/homophobic things so long as they apologize (a low standard that Trudeau has now passed despite, you know, obviously being in the wrong still and has no excuse for)
    -Speaking at an event headlined by white nationalists a few months ago
    -Leading a party that ran an attack ad featuring a black man crossing the border into Canada
    -Peddling fear mongering and disinformation about immigration and the UN
    -Hiring a corporate director of far right media source Rebel Media as his campaign director

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Rew and Lordban like this.
  20. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Trudeau just lost the election to the Conservatives with that makeup and that costuming.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-brownface-arabian-nights-1.5289165

Not only will the Conservatives pounce on this but Jagmeet Singh’s NDP will. Together the Liberals are done. I’m shocked this wasn’t vetted much earlier or leaked during the leadership race years ago to get it out there preemptively to take the sting out. Doing it a month before an election is a campaign killer and plays right into the narrative they’ve crafted of hypocrisy.

What’s more... left of center voters are the opposite of Trumpers not only in values but in how high the level of shame motivates. Left of center people tend to be more easily embarrassed and attack each other over who’s more progressive and up to date on social concerns. This type of thing leads signs coming off the yards on the left because voters are self-aware enough to not want to be tied to it. I know my MP candidate and she’s great and was considering a sign for her and Trudeau where I live but likely won’t now after this. If that’s how I feel others will be worse. The right is different in this regard. They take pride when their leaders slip up and dig in more and think it’s a sign that the media focuses too much on personal failings and not enough on policy.

The new Prime Minister of Canada will now be an anti-abortion, anti-LGBTQ, deep cuts, and tax breaks for corporations leader who works with mostly conservative Premiers now thanks to some really stupid and racially insensitive costume ideas.

Rew and heels1785 like this.
  21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  22. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    How did this remain buried back in 2013 and 2015?

23. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Sophie probably talked him out of makeup on that imbicilic India trip, didn't she?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  25. Empress Shatterpoint

Jan 5, 2013
    It's important to note here that the concept of blackface/brownface doesn't have the same connotation in French Canada than it does in English Canada. Many francophones are not aware of the US blackface history and so would tend to think of painting one's face black or brown as the equivalent of painting it blue. You can note the coverage difference with French and English media on this issue, it's very striking. The English Canadian media has always been more closely linked to America's than French Canadian media, resulting in different perspectives and cultural focus.

As a 27 years old francophone/Acadian from Atlantic Canada, I'll disclose to you I only became aware of this blackface phenomenon a few years ago, and that was from seeing breaking news stories from America about blackface and US campus Halloween "costumes". Otherwise I'd have stayed in the dark. So I have no trouble believing that a Québécois like Trudeau might have been equally disconnected from the American blackface phenomenon in 2001. We should also note that this modern focus on "disguising oneself as another race" became an amplified controversy around 2016. I doubt there was the same racial sensitivity in 2001.

The whole thing reminds me of the India trip. Which I found a lot worst since it was in official capacity.

As far as I can remember, this is the first brownface event of the campaign, and even the first since the years I've been following politics. So I can't really say if Scheer would remove candidates with a history of brownface.

Scheer and other leaders have been uneven in the way they judge candidates. They've all removed candidates with bigoted history, but kept other bigots. The Liberals themselves eventually removed Hassan Guillet, a candidate who posted anti-jewish tropes, despite knowing all along he had that history (it came out that they initially planned to wash the criticisms away with good PR). The Conservatives removed a Winnipeg candidate with anti-muslim posts but kept another in Ontario who had failed the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario vetting for anti-muslim past herself. And so on. So they're all hypocrites here. They suck at vetting, they suck at promptly removing candidates when things come to light, and they suck at being consistent in their removals. It happens every election and clearly they're not getting better at this. It's shameful and it disgusts me.

Lordban likes this.