main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Horror Candlewood

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by SirakRomar, Apr 6, 2018.

1. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Michael Ahura
    His Shop

Michael raised his brows as Mr. FBI asked the thing about a book. He returned Julia's smile, but was too smart to intervene.

The man was smart and whatever he was doing here, he was smart enough to doubt his own conceptions by now.

Tag: @SirakRomar, @DarkLordoftheFins

2. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    Carl Monroe
    Candlewood

Carl did not interfere with Agent Dunn and the girl, but instead dipped his finger into one of the many barely touched coffee cups. Cold. He looked around and realized this was like they had all vanished into thin air. No sign of panic or a fight. No sign of any disturbance. As if they had got up and left ... just like that? Or they had vanished into thin air. But people did not vanish into thin air.

Finally he went over to Barclay and took the mobile from him. "Chloe Barnett." He said and saw she had actually a pretty dark history in this town. Her father killed her mother. Then himself. Ten years ago. Of all people in Candlewood she seemed not to have vanished. This was already the strangest investigation he had ever been part of.

Tag: @SirakRomar, @Jedi_padawan_leigh

3. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Michael's Fishing Shop

Julia looked at Carver and then at Michael. "I sell a lot of books. I don't remember. Why are you asking questions instead of arresting this man?" She was strangely calm as she put it and took one step back from the two men and looked over her shoulder as of she was looking for another door.

Tag:, @LordTroepfchen, @DarkLordoftheFins

The Cabin in the Woods

"No, it isn't." Julia said and turned to Miles. "Do you guys feel it? There is a slight wind here. I think there might be an exit, actually."

The sound behind them had ceased. The Monster seemed not to follow them. Or it was very silent while doing it.

Tag: @HanSolo29, @Reynar_Tedros

Ocean View Café, Candlewood

"I ... I got a car. Not much traffic I assume. I will be there in a few minutes." Chloe seemed to regain some strength from the idea of actually meeting people. "I get on my way." She said and killed the line.

Barclay sighed. "Okay, anybody got a theory what happened here?" He asked and looked at Carl. "Actually it looks like we got five thousand missing persons cases here. Will do hell of a jump for our statistic if we solve them." He looked around. "The coffee and cake is here. Half eaten. Half drunk. Did they get up, went out in good order and that was it? Why? Did someone ask them too? Did Chloe Barnett miss the call?" He shrugged.

"How shall we proceed?"

Tag: @Jedi_padawan_leigh, @Lawbreaker

4. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Streets

"Really? You sold it to me yesterday." John lowered the gun and turned it a bit, not yet aiming at her. But now ready to point it at any of both. "You remember the genre? Or any other book you sold me? Anything? My name probably? My payment method? What credit card do I use?" He eyed her. Was this the mass psychosis? Had Julia Wilson developed a split personality? Was that even possible? Or likely? This was Jane Masters best friend suddenly not remembering anything as it seemed. Waiting for an answer he silently hoped she would know the answer.

Tag: @SirakRomar, @LordTroepfchen

5. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Michael Ahura
    His Shop

Michael raised his hands to signal he had no intentions to become violent. "This is not Julia Wilson. She does not remember anything. Inner she can't even remember her husbands name. Can you?" Michael knew he had to make the FBI man believe him, as unbelievable as it all was ...

"This will happen to more people. Maybe to all of us. For certain to everybody who touched these ..." He pointed at the pages still on his desk.

"In the center of the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes." He quoted the book everybody was so eager about and smiled. "She knows what I talk about." Looked at Julia he lay his head aside. "Do you?"

6. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    ooc: Combined with SirakRomar

John Carver
    Michael's fishing shop

Julia frowned and looked at Michael and then at John. "Listen to him, this is non-sense. I am Julia Wilson. You know me ..." She took another step back and then another, slowly bringing a few extra-feet between the FBI Agent and her. Then her eyes slowly moved to the right where the coshgels for the fishers were put.

"One book. Or your husband? Tell me the name of your husband?" The gun now slowly moved into her direction and he followed her on step. "Stay calm. Julia. What is the name of your husband?"

"I ... I think I should see a healer ..." Julia said.

"A healer? You mean a Doctor?" Jack now was fully focused on her. Something was indeed wrong here. "Julia, I think I need to get you to the police station and ..."

He never finished the sentence as she turned and ran. Jack raised the pistol and aimed, but why would he shoot an innocent woman? Because she was behaving strangely?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  7. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    James Power
    Home?

With a shake of his head the mayor let out another sob. "My wife, no. This can't be. How did this happen? Why us?"
    Politics were messy, he knew that when he ran for office. But it was inconceivable to him that anyone would go this far, be this cruel, just to get their own way. This was incomprehensible to him.
    "I.. I just don't know. I don't understand." He held his head in his hands, trying to center himself. How could he go on without Grace? "Maybe.." he shook his head again, trying to put some logic to all of this. "Maybe, it's a message. Crofts messenger said my wife would die if I didn't sign the place over to him. It is possible..." James felt disoriented, sick, and angry. Steadying his feet, he crossed his arm in an attempt to regain some sense of composure. "It's possible that when she died the kidnapers assumed the threat didn't work, and..." The sick feeling returned to his stomach, and he averted his eye's. "they disposed of her."
    That was the logical reason. But it just made him more frustrated.
    Taking a moment to be sure he wouldn't lose his lunch, they mayor stepped towards the window and sighed.
    "You're the cop Ethan. I don't even know how she got here. But whoever did this needs to pay!"

Tags: @SirakRomar

8. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Carl Monroe
    Candlewood

"It makes no sense. Carver would have called or left a message of something like this had happened. No, I'd say ... this is a classical Sherlock Holmes thing. If you eliminate all possible answers, the impossible might be the one left. They vanished. All at once. They had no time to pack or finish their cake." Carl looked at Malorie. "This is creepy. No doubt. But I am open to any ideas you guys got."

He wondered what to do next. "Barclay, I think Carver had a room in the local hotel probably. Care to check? Maybe he left us a hint there. But please be careful. Stay in contact and report every few minutes please."

Turning to Malorie he sighed. "We two have a chat with Chloe. Maybe she can give us some insight what happened here." He took out his mobile. "Meanwhile I request some data. She who uses electricity, phones and maybe get an aerial view of the town."

This was one strange revelation from becoming a case for the national guard, he thought.

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: Sheriff Jack Collins
    Underground tunnel, The Brownback Hills

As suddenly as it had begun, the insistent clawing of the Beast had ceased. All that remained was the steady echoing of their own footsteps as they traversed the hollow cavern. After their harrowing escape, the silence itself seemed deafening and maybe even a little unsettling. It was enough to momentarily break Jack’s concentration, and his feet shuffled to a halt as the hand that held the flashlight wavered perceptibly. He dared to glance over his shoulder, half-expecting the Beast to appear from the shadows to end their flight once and for all, but when the path remained clear, the Sheriff finally allowed himself a sigh of relief.

But it was only a brief reprieve. Laura’s voice sounded from beside him, causing him to visibly jump with the sudden intrusion.

Dammit, Jack...get ahold of yourself!

“Do you guys feel it?” she asked softly, seeming not to notice his agitation. “There is a slight wind here. I think there might be an exit, actually."

Inhaling deeply, Jack raised a hand and ran it slowly over his face to regain his bearings before angling his chin as if to listen. From his vantage point, he didn’t hear anything out of the ordinary, and certainly not anything to indicate the passage of air. Usually there would be a whistle, or perhaps a slight reverberation…

Wait.

There was nothing to hear, but...she was right – he could feel it. It brushed gently against his cheek like the probing fingers of an intimate lover, and then it faded away again on the currents. It was strangely reassuring, and he heard himself exhale heavily. For the first time since coming across the cabin, Jack felt a spark of hope.

“It’s coming from somewhere,” he agreed with an enthusiastic nod, “I don’t think this place is isolated.” With the flashlight leading the way, Jack set out to follow the wind to its source. If all went well, hopefully they could be back in town before breakfast. Rose and the girls were probably worried.

TAG: @SirakRomar; @Reynar_Tedros

10. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    IC: Julia Wilson
    ???

"It has taken over your body," Jane explained. "It has taken over you, because my body is dead now."

So technically she wasn’t dead, but if Jane was here, too, then Julia was forced to question just how long that would last. And what was “it?” What had…possessed her?

If it had taken Jane first, was that what had killed her?
    Then—there it was again. Apparently even here was not safe from that sound.

But of course this place wasn’t safe from it, Julia realized; the sound came from this place. Specifically, it came from the hovering objects.

“Jane, what is ‘it?’ What are those, and where are we?”

TAG: @SirakRomar

11. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Michael's Fishing Shop

Julia stared at John for a moment ... and then she smiled. It was a smile that almost did not belong to her, so strange it looked.

"So what will you do now? I don't remember anything. Amnesia. You wanna arrest me for amnesia?" Julia asked and offered her hands to be handcuffed.

Below the Hills

[​IMG]
    They took a few more steps and suddenly the cave opened. A strange green light gave them sight of a giant cavern in front of them. It was impossible to say where the light was coming from. But before them was a long abandoned underground structure that was certainly not natural.

"What ... is that!" Laura gasped and at first they probably thought she meant the cave. But a few meters away from them a creature of the size of a dog slowly crawled down one of the half collapsed pillars.

[​IMG]

Barclay had just left when and old Dodge came to a full stop in front of the Café and a young blonde woman in jeans and t-shirt jumped out.

[​IMG]
    Chloe Barnett

Chloe almost ran into the Café and was visibly relieved to see someone else. "Thank God, you are really here! I ... saw nobody on my way here! Nobody!" She said with a voice that was almost hysterical. "What ... happened? Where is everybody?"

Power House

Ethan looked at James and then he seemed to come to his senses. "First thing of all, please leave without touching anything unnecessary. This is a crime scene now." Ethan looked at the kitchen and then followed the Major out. "I don't know. It is Croft. He is a bastard, but this ... is the work of a full blown psychopath. But you are right, we need to take him in. And we need to be careful. Whoever did this is a very dangerous man." Ethan gave it some thought. "Maybe the Shooter? He could have stopped here to ... then he went to townhall when he realized her would not find you here." Ethan looked at the house. At this moment the SUV of Deputy Anna Mason parked at the front door. "Anna! We got another murder. Was just about to report it. It is the Majors wife." Ethan suddenly flinched.

"What? I ... I let John know." She was just about to grab her radio, when Ethan covered his ears. "Do you hear that? That sound?" He asked the other two. Anna exchanged looks with the Major. "Major, please Move away from Deputy Wilson."

Tag: ConservativeJedi321

Somewhere

Jane gave her the saddest smile anyone had ever giving her. "I can only guess. Kramer wrote in metaphors a lot, but I remember the bit about the Dreamer.

"In the center of the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes of it's unspeakable slaves." Jane looked up at the floating thing.

"I think we are close to this center of all infinity. And these creatures are the native inhabitants of this world. When certain constellations of the stars appear they can reach out all the way to earth. That is what is in the cave and that is what the book says. They created a calendar when the stars will be right and worshipped these things as Gods." Jane passed her friend. She pointed to the sky and there was nothing but darkness. "A black hole. Maybe the black hole. The one that was created when the universe was created. It soaks in the light of the stars."

Jane turned to Julia. "I don't know what it is they are doing, but I know how it will end. Hiermit always ended. Candlewood will vanish. Everyone inside the city will vanish and never be seen again."

Before them suddenly raised another of the strange creatures above the edge of the cliff they were standing on and it was giant in size. The gnawing sound that came from it was deafening.

[​IMG]
    Tag: @JediMasterAnne

12. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    James Power
    Not Home

Wearily the mayor nodded when he was told to leave, this was not his home anymore. "I.. I need to call my son. Max. He has to hear this from me." With a subtle nod he took a step down the steps. More than anything he was speaking to himself, even as Ethan called out to Anna he mumbled. "I can get us an apartment for tonight. Maybe move in with my parents until this blows over..." shaking his head James dismissed that idea. They will surely want him to be safe, but he couldn't just leave Candlewood. He had to be strong, he was still the Mayor here. With any luck Croft would be behind bars soon, surely it would be difficult for him to interfere from prison...
    "Major, please Move away from Deputy Wilson."
    The words spooked him out of his line of thought.

"What?" They were half way to Anna's car, though James managed to take one step back his confusion, and remaining disorientation halted him from immediately taking further action.

Tags: @SirakRomar

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  13. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    IC: Malorie Dunn

Agent Monroe gave Agent Barclay some instructions to search for the illusive John Carver, suggesting that he investigate the nearby hotels to see if there was any evidence of their fellow agents presence. As Barclay left, Monroe turned to Malorie to address her "We two have a chat with Chloe. Maybe she can give us some insight what happened here." Malorie nodded softly and watched as he took out his mobile phone. "Meanwhile I request some data. She who uses electricity, phones and maybe get an aerial view of the town."

Malorie was about to respond, when the cafe door opened abruptly and a young blonde woman all but ran into the room. Her face was a mask of panic, but once her eyes fell on the two remaining agents, the mask slipped and her expression fell into one of visible relief, albeit short lived. "Thank God, you are really here! I ... saw nobody on my way here! Nobody!" She said with a voice that was almost hysterical. "What ... happened? Where is everybody?"

Malorie walked over to the fretful young woman, as she did so, she quickly made a few mental notes about the newcomer. Height, appearance, any distinguishing features. She looked to only be a couple of years younger than Malorie herself. The female agent kept her body language open and unthreatening "Chloe? I'm Malorie, we spoke on the phone" she said calmly, trying to help put Chloe’s mind at ease. Turning back briefly towards Agent Monroe, she gestured in his direction. "This is Agent Monroe, The agent in charge"

She looked back at the young woman and wondered how to answer her questions. In truth the agents were just as in the dark as she was. This was far from the domestic terrorism report that had brought them rushing here. Letting out a soft sigh she placed her hands on her hips.

“Truth be told we were called out here for another incident entirely, we’re not sure what’s going on… Oh, hang on..." She added as she walked over and removed some of the abandoned plates of food and drink from the nearest table and placed them on the next table along, leaving a clear surface. Indicating the seat, she led Chloe to sit down and sat down herself on the chair opposite "Take a seat, gather your thoughts. If there’s anything you can tell us, no matter how small, we may be able to help you work out what’s happened here”

TAG: @SirakRomar @Lawbreaker

14. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Michael's Fishing Shop

Julia had a point. What could he do? Arrest her? He did not even have handcuffs and she had committed no crime. Problem was he was pretty convinced she would ...

And the old Native American New something about it.

So what would he do? Let her go? Like the law demanded it? Take her in for questioning? Nobody was there to question her. They were all drowned in the various simultaneous crimes.

"Do you have anything to tie her up?" He asked the shop owner. "I think this is less a legal matter and you are quite unlike Julia, I am the one FBI agent who is not concerned about loosing his damned job."

He now pointed the gun at her. "And please don't run. I like Julia. I would hate to shoot her in the leg." He took the mobile from his pocket and sighed. Then he called Anna. "Anna, I have taken Julia Wilson into custody, please report back to the station ASAP."

15. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Michael's Fishing Shop

Julia lay her head aside and then she slowly began to walk towards John.

"There is no way you are gonna stop it. Taking me means nothing. We are many now." She smiled and opened her mouth. A gnawing sound escaped it as she pulled down her jaw so hard, it seemed to almost break. There was no way this sound could escape her throat. There was no way this was a sound any human could make.

When she stopped her head slowly turned back and her mouth closed.

Michel kept on hearing the sound though. A gnawing, as if it came from behind him.

Chloe did indeed calm down and lowered herself into the seat. "I ... don't know. I was up late yesterday working on the house. Fell asleep over an old bottle of red wine I found on the cellar. Then I woke up and ... everybody was gone. Nobody picked up the phone. Nobody at the shop. Ringed at my neighbors and they did not open either. Nobody on the streets. I thought of there is anyone anywhere it would be here. So I made the call, after trying police and the hotel." She shrugged. "I ... my brother yesterday told me he hears strange things around here. Like a gnawing. I send him home. That was about the strangest thing that happened to me lately."

Ocean View Hotel

Agent Barclay entered the hotel and took a look around. When he was sure he was indeed alone he took out his mobile and sat at the old fashioned couch. Getting out his cigarettes he drew an ashtray a little closer and lighter the cigarette while taking a deep breath. On the other side the phone was picked up immediately.

"Barclay. I am on location now. It is worse than expected. Yes. They seem to be gone." He leaned back. The other person was talking now. "I recommend immediate containment, Sir. Seal the city off. Right now." He sighed and took another breath from his cigarette. "Yes, understood."

Police Station

Farlow put his rifle on the nearby desk and sighed, sending a quick report to his partner.

NOBODY ANYWHERE. NOW AT POLICE STATION.

Then he went over to the front desk. The secretary had obviously taken a lot of calls, as the post it's on her desk showed. They were all times and names and little notes. She had sorted them into two groups. People who missed someone, most of them teenagers. The was on the left. Twenty five of those. And those were only the ones who called the police. On the right were people who reported hearing strange noises. Why they called the police about it was a mystery though.

Farlow made a foto of the desk and then his head snapped up. There was a young woman ... a teenager really ... standing there. Red blond hair and steel blue eyes looked at him. "Hey there. I am Agent Farlow, FBI." He tried to be as unthreatening as possible. The girl only stared at him.

I am Alexandra Collins, I am looking for my Dad. He is the Sheriff." The girl calmly said.

Power House

Anna was drawing her gun, as the voice of John Carver came over the speaker of her car. He had Julia Wilson in custody. Ethan stepped a step away from the Major actually. Slowly he lowered his hands from his ears. "My wife, why has he taken my wife into custody?" He looked at the Major. Then back at Anna. "It is alright, the noise is gone. We got a body in there, Anna. Another body. Please, put the gun back into the holster and let us forget you ever did that, okay?" He looked at the Major. "Major? Get Max pleased We need to talk to him, too." He then looked back at Anna. "Please." He said. "I do not even have a gun." Anna stared at him. "Major, you stay right there. Ethan, please step away. Final warning!"

Tag: ConservativeJedi321

16. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Michael Ahura
    His Shop

Michael nodded at the suggestion to get something to tie her up and was just about to grab some ropes, when she showed her true self ... or the closest thing she could show to her true self while playing the body of Julia Wilson like a meat puppet.

And there it was ... the sound. It had returned. After all those years since he had broken free of it, it had returned.

"No, no ..." He mumbled and looked at the FBI agent. He knew something. He would be their best chance. The man had made the right call, he was fighting this and he was loosing, because he did not even know what it was he was fighting. Not that all he had learned over the years had helped them in the end.

"Listen, Sir. It is happening ... we knew it was happening, but we hoped we could prevent it. But we can't. It is different this time. It is worse." He shook his head and stepped closer to the Agent. "There are things trying to reach this reality to ... we do not know what they are actually wanting. But they come. They came before. And they are a murderous and cruel force that will kill each and every one of Candlewoods inhabitants. Each and every one of them!" He sounded like a madman probably, but he knew he had to tell him as much as possible before he became one of them.

17. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Michael's Fishing Shop

Julia made this bizarre movements and this inhuman sound gurgled out of her. John stepped back as she came closer and something inside of him told him to shoot her right away. End this before it revealed any more of it's nature. She appeared to be not human, but how? How could a human appear not human? She had claimed they were many now and could not be stopped. Crazy talk. The feeling of invulnerability was a classical sign of psychological disorders.

When she ended her little show she began circling with her head and the Native American began talking. He said something about creatures from beyond that tried to invade our world and kill everyone and ... all this classical talk of a paranoid delusional. But what had John just seen? Julia?

Did the man talk about "them trying to stop them"? What exactly did that mean?

"Jane Masters, was she one of them? Did you try to stop her? Or shall I ask ... did you stop her?"

John could work months with the BAU through the man's and Julia's psyche, dig up the truth ... but he felt he did not have the time to do so. These delusions were not entirely unfounded. They were having a core of truth to them. It had happened before as the Doctor told him. The death toll in the city clearly showed it happened again. There was something going on, that made these people behave this way ... something the psyche of this man could only interpret an outside alien invasion. Mass psychosis? Maybe it was something in the fish or water. "And who are you? The people who tried to stop this? Was George England one of you? Is Ethan Wilson?"

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  18. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Carl Monroe
    Candlewood

Carl smiled at Chloe to give her assurance, but kept silent for now.

One survivor ... whatever it was she survived ... was always a little suspicious. He had to find out what happened here, but he was aware he had never had a case remotely as strange as this one. No radiation or chemical agent could explain any of this. Which was in a way reassuring as they were not wearing any protection against those.

But what had caused it? He was at the point where any theory was welcome. Hell, he could imagine what the tabloids would do with it. Alien Abduction! Ghosts! Mass hypnosis! Problem was, none of this existed.

He turned his attention to the only source of information available. Chloe. She seemed to have slept when everybody else vanished. Was that why she had not vanished? Had someone seriously made every inhabitant do his bidding and she had simply been asleep when this had happened?

Farlow reported that he had seen nobody and now arrived at the police station. Carl suddenly doubted his decision to send them all alone. Obviously there was no sign of violence around here, but they had nobody to check on them if whatever happened to Candlewood would happen to them. He send his partner a quick message to get back.

"Chloe, did anybody behave strangely lately? Anything suspicious or out of the ordinary that happened here?"

19. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Michael Ahura
    His Shop

Michael barely hear so loud was the gnawing in his ears now. It seemed to swallow the world.

But the FBI agent was a quick thinker. "We killed Jane. We had to. She was one ... of them. She wanted to die. We need to kill them all, don't you understand? They kill us or we kill them ..."

He covered his ears now with his hands. The sound ... this sound ...

"Sir, you need to shoot me." He finally accepted the truth. "Please. I ... will ..."

And just as suddenly as it had begun, it stopped. Michael slowly straightened himself and his eyes had a feverish glow. His mouth opened as wide as possible. Slowly. Until the corners of his mouth cracked and began to bleed. And a single long gnawing sound escaped them. A noise seemingly impossible the result of a human vocal cord.

He began to walk towards the FBI agent.

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: Sheriff Jack Collins
    Underground Cavern, The Brownback Hills

The low ambient light beckoned them forward; it filled the widening cavern with a strange, green glow that made the shadows dance in ominous patterns. It was easy to fool the eye, but it was still enough for Jack to see without assistance. And so, as he moved forward with slow, measured steps, he lowered the flashlight back to his side and allowed his eyes to adjust to the new surroundings. At first, the walls remained nondescript like the rest of the cave, but soon the ancient structure began to take shape until they were standing in the middle of what appeared to be the remains of a forgotten settlement.

But in the middle of the Brownback Hills? That...didn’t make sense.

A small gasp escaped from the Sheriff’s lips and he stood back, simply marveling at the complexity and sheer vastness of the place. How had something like this gone unnoticed? Surely, someone would have surveyed the land and marked this as an area of interest, especially with all the tourist activity in the area. Unless…

Jack immediately recalled Michaels’ warning about Croft. Had the man somehow known about this place? He certainly had enough clout in this goddamn town to make something like this disappear if he wanted to. But why do that? Judging by the craftsmanship of the structure itself, it held a certain cultural significance. They had laws protecting against that sort of thing, so why take the risk? Was this even what Michaels had been referring to?

"What ... is that!"

Laura’s startled cry broke into his thoughts, and Jack glanced up, his hand instinctively tightening around the rifle strap. “Good question,” the Sheriff mused, clearly assuming she had been referring to the ruins. He stepped forward and gestured with the hand that held the flashlight, the beam crossing the cavern erratically. “The best I can tell, it--what the…hell?”

His voice choked off with a sharp intake of breath as the light settled over a darkened shape crawling freely over one of the collapsed pillars. It was hard to judge size from this vantage point, but Jack estimated that it was roughly the height of an average dog. Furrowing his brow, curiosity took over as he steadied his hand and angled the light on the creature for a better look; he instantly regretted it.

The sight that greeted him was a thing of nightmares – with spindly legs protruding from a round body, and coarse hair covering its entire mass, it resembled a giant spider that had been exposed to radioactive fallout. But that was improbable, right? Extreme cases like this only existed in science fiction tales…

And yet, Jack wasn’t taking any chances. He had already witnessed a disembodied Beast rampaging through the forest...why not giant, mutated spiders?

Tucking the flashlight into his belt, the Sheriff placed a hand on Laura’s shoulder and began to lead her forward. “Go,” he ordered under his breath, his voice barely above a whisper. “Move quickly and don’t look at it, understand?” He started to move at an accelerated pace, glancing over his shoulder every so often to keep an eye on the arachnid. Not entirely trusting that this plan would work, Jack unslung the rifle from his shoulder and brought it to bear...just in case.

TAG: @SirakRomar; @Reynar_Tedros

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  21. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Below the Hills

Laura stumbled back and shook her head, as she saw the unspeakable creature which quickly dropped to the floor and stood still as if it hoped to be overseen. Then she felt the hand of the Sheriff and instinctively followed his lead, looking away and moving ...

"What is that ..." Miles pressed out behind them and his sentence was silenced by a cracking noise. Slowly Laura turned her head and if the Sheriff did not the same he was probably surprised by her high scream.

She saw Miles eyes and she saw his consciousness fade from it forever. Her gaze wandered upwards and saw the long chitin claw that had ripped through Miles skull with such power it had reemerged below his chin. Miles spasmed one last time, but that was not a sign of life. It was a grotesque reaction of the body to the contradicting remains of unfinished signals send by the brain pierced by the chitin spike. An uncontrolled reaction by a irreversibly damaged central nervous system.

From the tunnel they had just left the monster pushed it's 6 feet high body free and stood right there as it threw Miles body aside like a piece of trash.

[​IMG]

End of Chapter Three

22. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Episode Four: The Dreamers wake up

The dark influence spreads and Candlewood is not as empty as it seems

All over Candlewood

It was exactly 14:07 when people began to hear the sound. Not all of them. No. But many. More than ever before. And it was louder. Closer. More present. An unspeakable call from a place far away, answered by the shattering souls of all who were cursed to perceive it.

Johnny Langston had simply lost too much of his credibility to convince anyone. He had told the tall tale about the sea monster, that had amused anyone so badly ... now nobody was believing him.

"I tell you, it is not Alfred! It is NOT him!" He raised his arms. "He did not even know what my name was!"

Robert Farlow smiled from his boat and waved Johnny away. "Pal, get yourself some help. Man, a tale every week? Seriously, Johnny. Who will be willing to work with you if you keep doing things like this? Hm?" Andy, still wearing the bandage around his arm stepped next to Robert and kept silent. He just opened his mouth and a gnawing sound came from it. Robert almost fell as he stumbled away. "Andy? What the hell ..." He never finished the sentence as the hook pierced his skull, when Andy brought it down full force.

Johnny stared at the scene and turned around to run. He sprinted down the pier, but never made it to the land as a bullet hit him in the chest. Alfred Dirks, the elder unofficial leader of the fishermen loaded his hunting rifle through and aimed at the next fisherman, while Andy jumped over Roberts dead body of the ship to walk to the next, his blood soaked hook still in his hand.

Mike Weaver collapsed on the ground of his bar, where he had been refilling the fridge. The gnawing had become so loud, it was almost impossible to bear. "Are you alright?" Margret his wife came around the bar and knelt next to him. She was taken by surprised when he snapped up. "Mike?" She said as she realized this man looked different from her husband. It was probably her last clear thought, as his hands closed around her throat.

Edward Roberts kept on running, looking behind him, as he saw the two teenagers quickly gain ground. He had seen them kill the third kid in his library and he knew he would be next. Fleeing had been the only viable option. He just did not see the car, a beautiful old VW Beatle, which rammed him and Maria Burns pushing in the reverse to drive back and right over him, with hollow eyes and a mild smile.

Dr. Morgan Chandler collapsed on his desk, as the ginger haired Redding Wayne stabbed his small sharp knife into his back again and again. Outside John Palin screamed in pain, as a small girl bit the Kennedy Street concierge into his throat in the waiting room. The whole practice turned into a slaughterhouse as the various patients that had come in for their hearing problems turned on the other patients.

Samuel Lawrence lay down the hammer and leaned back. He felt his heart pounding dangerously, as the exhaustion began to take it's toll. The house was barricaded now. Every window and door secured. He had tried to reach Croft, but the phones were already dead. Then there was a knock on the door. He made it over to his revolver and grabbed it. "Get away!" He shouted. "This is Max Powers, my dead send me." The teenage voice came from outside. Had James figured this out? Had he send his son? He made his way to the door and opened the two locks and pushed the cupboard aside he had used to block it. "Max?" He asked and only saw now that the boy was covered in blood. He tried to bring his gun up, but the boy pushed him in with one powerful move and with a grin entered the house, raising the butcher knife he had been using all day.

Professor Fallon breathed heavy, as he stood over Dom Wilson, tied up and struggling his restraints on the floor. He could not believe the old man had tried to kill him ... screams. Outside were screams.

Kyle Chandler took another pill and went back to the window. His ears were bleeding, but finally there was silence. He looked out of his flat and saw a girl on the streets stabbing her mother with an icepick, as the woman stumbled away crying through her front yard. To him her screams for help were silent. Calmly he raised his M5 assault rifle, took aim and pulled the trigger. It wasn't the first girl he killed, he remembered. Tears run down his face.

Prof. Monroe left the hotel room and dragged the hammer after him, walking to the next room, knocking. "Lazarus? It is me." He said with a hollow voice and prepared the hammer.

Screams and shots filled Candlewood as death and violence spread through the streets.

Tag: All, Nobody

Michael's Fishing Shop

Julia's head suddenly snapped into the normal position. "Yes Michael. Tell him about Jane." She grinned. And then it happened right in front of their eyes. Michael changed. With a grin she looked at John Carver and slowly took one of the clubs from the cupboard, grinning at the FBI agent. "Told you, we are many." She just said and nodded to Mike as she came closer simoultaneously.

Chloe looked at the elder FBI agent. "You mean except the killing spree?" She asked him and then shook her head. "No, nothing." She shrugged. "I did not have that many social contacts here. I have a history in this town that ... is not easy to deal with. I kept for myself since my return. Except meeting a few old high school friends."

She was close to tears now. "Do you think ... they are all dead?"

Police Station

"He is not here. Nobody is here actually." Farlow raised his arms to show there was no danger. "Can you tell me what happened?"

The girl shook her head. "I was with a few friends in the hills all night and just returned and found the town ... like this? What ...?"

Farlow smiled. She had been lucky. "We do not know yet, but I assure you we will find out." He looked at his mobile and saw that Carl wanted him back. "Come, I bring you to the other FBI agents and you can tell us all about the last few days. Okay?"

23. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    IC: Julia Wilson
    ???

Jane tried to explain, but Julia was left with more questions than answers.

"I don't know what it is they are doing, but I know how it will end. Hiermit always ended. Candlewood will vanish. Everyone inside the city will vanish and never be seen again."

“Like the lumberjacks,” Julia murmured in realization.

One of the bizarre creatures appeared above them, emitting that awful noise, louder than Julia had ever heard it. She put her hands over her ears to try to block it out—she was already here, but there was no telling what else could happen to her. Though, Jane was dead, but still here; Julia suddenly wondered if she would know it if her body died, if she would feel anything.

“What does all this have to do with the observatory closing?” she asked, hoping Jane could hear her over the noise.

TAG: @SirakRomar

24. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Michael's Fishing Shop

This time he saw it happen. The sound the man heard, the horror and finally the demand to be shot.

Of course John did not shoot him, but when the old Native American suddenly raised and began to walk towards him he knew why he tried to get killed. He had tried to save John.

Julia took a club and began to approach him, too. "Stop there, both of you!" He yelled and stepped back. Gaining a few seconds was what he desperately needed. His gun alternated between the two targets. "I said stop!" He yelled with all authority he had. But they would not stop, he knew that.

In his mind he went through his options. He was not ready to kill another living being today. He was not ready to die either. If he had to choose he would kill them. But there were alternatives.

He prepared himself for the attack and flipped the security lever to armed.

25. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Michael's Fishing Shop

Outside a Lexus crashed violently into a passing Jeep throwing the smaller vehicle of the street and crashing into the harbor. Shots. There were shots heard.

Julia took this distraction to make her move and hurled the club at John. It was perfectly coordinated with Mike attacking the FBI agent by leaping at him.

Somewhere

Strangely enough the noise and Julia's voice seemed not to interfere with each other. Jane smiled sadly as her friend had to realize they were not really talking, because they were not really there. Not physically, at least.

"Exactly like the Lumberjacks, or the native tribes before them." Jane nodded and stepped a few steps back, looking up at the giant bizarre thing floating before them. The sound finally faded as the thing began to float higher.

"The Observatory. I never figured out the whole story, before they got me ... but Croft asked the same question. He hired me. I quickly found out the original version was BS. They did not close it, they hastily abandoned it over night. They fled from there. I just did not get why. Until Chloe nudged me into the right direction with this forsaken book. The Observatory is build on the top of the hills, right above the old Indian caves that have the calendar in it, which was build where the old vanished Utaka village was and which is build upon ancient ruins of caves below the hills build by God knows who long before humanity began to remember. It is the Stars, Julia. A constellation of stars is a matter of perspective. Up there is the spot from which the stars will perfectly align. And that happened ten years ago." Jane stepped to her friend now and looked at her. "The constellation was there and the scientists suffered the same you and I did. They heard things. Then they lost time. There was a murder. When they understood what happened it was too late. They put away those possessed into mental asylums and destroyed all traces of their work. Only one escaped them." Jane sighed and leaned forward. "Chloe's mother. Remember? She worked there."

Tag: @JediMasterAnne