main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Horror Candlewood

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by SirakRomar, Apr 6, 2018.

1. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Ocean View Café, Candlewood

He stared at the mobile as if he expected it to jump at him, but decided to simply let it vibrate. "Rebecca?" He instead asked and the woman arrived at his table. "Don't you wanna take it?" She asked, pointing at the mobile phone vibrating.

"No." John said bit smiled politely. "Holidays are Holidays, you know?" He looked at his coffee that was still half full.

"Has anybody asked about me?" He asked Rebecca and then looked st his mobile. "Forget it." He sighed.

Rebecca smiled. "Sure."

John kept her from going back tot he other customers. "Where can I get good grilled meat?" He asked. Rebecca looked at him, then she wrote something down on her pad and handed it over. "Best in town." She winked and went back to work. Leaving John with a phone that had finally stopped ringing.

He almost missed the Sheriff and his cute deputy leave the cafe in a hurry. John had the feeling this was about Jane. He would better prepare.

Tag: @SirakRomar

ooc: Will be away for a day or two ...

2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    James Power
    The First Candlewood Yacht Club

As James finished his meal, Croft was drawn away from the table to talk to Anthony Burton. This might be their best opportunity to discuss the deal with his predecessor.
    "So, what's on your mind Sam." James prodded delicately. The older gentlemen glanced over his should, apparently to be sure Croft was out of hearing range.
    e. "This is a very good deal. But a bit too good and a bit too urgent for my taste." James mentally sighed in relief. If Sam had been certain of any questionable motives he wouldn't be stating his belief in a speculative format, "He asked me to talk to Maria Burns. He summoned us here and now he offers money. One wonders why someone is so eager to acquire what are basically a bunch of ruins with a great view."

"What do you think? He wants to do something else with it?" Grace questioned, clearly encapsulated by the idea that there were ulterior motives.
    "Maybe he thinks there's some buried treasure in the area." James joked.

Sam ignored his quip, and responded directly to Grace's inquiry. "Makes no sense. He could wait for election year. He can make reelection really hard, you know? I know. I said no to him once and found myself in retirement."
    The Mayor finally put on a more serious expression. "He doesn't want to come off as threatening." James and Samuel had been political rivals, they desired to take the town in different directions. Of course Sam had flatly refused Crofts request, so he had probably figured the former mayors opposition would be more open minded to the deal. Making that offer during an election year could easily have been seen in a hostile manner, in a way James certainly wouldn't have taken kindly too.
    "This way it seems more genuine." he thought aloud. Before dismissing the idea mentally. He couldn't jump to conclusions.

"Someone should go up there and have a look." Sam spoke, referring to the old lighthouse. For whatever reason the thought made James uneasy. Still, he conceded his old rival wasn't wrong. If there was evidence of foul intent (And that was a big if), that would be the most likely location where evidence of it was to be located.
    "We were not exactly friends, James. But if you want me to help out on this one, I could do a walk today. Day is still early."
    He hesitated, but ultimately nodded his head. As the current mayor of Candlewood he couldn't just go up there at a moments notice. "It would do the town a great service. If you don't mind." James smiled weakly, before taking the last sip of his water.

Tags: @SirakRomar

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    HanSolo29 likes this.
  3. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Ocean View Cafe, Harbour

Chloe smiled gratefully. "Thank you. And clear." Chloe smiled and pushed the book towards Julia.

She quickly stood up. "Please let me know what your Dad says." She forced herself to smile once more. "I owe you."

Julia's Dad would be at the bookstore. Where else would he be? And despite the whole story around the book and his former owner, he would love it.

A message arrived at John's mobile. It was Albert. He had tracked him down.

CLEARED OF ALL CHARGES. CONGRATS. YOU SHOULD CALL JONAH. BEST AL

Jonah Crawford was probably Jonah. Head of Seattle Office.

Tag: @DarkLordoftheFins, @JediMasterAnne

The First Candlewood Yacht Club

Sam Lawrence only nodded and looked over to Croft. "Do not underestimate him James. He can make the life of a mayor very difficult. He has seen many of us come and go and still sits on his throne." Sam looked at Grace and James and smiled so everybody else would think they would do small talk.

The rest of the dinner went by without any disturbances. Croft returned and an exquisite dinner was served before he showed his perfect manners again to say his goodbye.

Outside Grace sighed. "Sam is right. Deal is too good to be true, but God knows we could use the money. Croft knows that." She shrugged. "Let us talk to Mike and ask him what we can claim as value without getting into trouble with the auditors."

Mike was Michael Manners, the treasury chief or simply said accountant of Candlewood. He had served under the last three Mayors and had remained a remarkable neutrality. Everyone agreed, that the town was much easier to govern because of him and his knowledge of finances.

"Then we got this Archeologist at noon. He leaves tomorrow, so we need to meet him today. Infrastructure workshop at two about the harbor bay renovation of pier 5. I can handle those, so you can prepare for School Council at sixteen hundred." She smiled. "Then we can actually take our paperwork home and have an early evening. Or we approach the Sheriff about this deputy thing. I think Candlewood could really use a dedicated deputy who is taking over duties in winter." She sighed and checked her mobile. "Tomorrow I'd say I do real estate commission and you talk to the coast guard guys. We got a sea monster now." She smiled. "And we should pull an hour out of our schedule to talk to Sam about what he found."

She went into the car and began typing messages.

Tag: @ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  4. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    IC: Julia Wilson
    The Ocean View Café, then the Bookworm, Harbour

“I’ll give you a call,” Julia said as Chloe headed off. She wrapped the book back in the cloth Chloe had brought it in and tucked it into her bag. She couldn’t say why the book gave her such a weird feeling, but the sooner it was out of her hands, the happier she would be.

John the book hound was still reading at his table, probably the same book he’d bought last night. Jack and his fellow officer were gone, so probably they’d gotten a call-out. Julia would have to catch up with the sheriff another time; she made a point to ask after his girls whenever she saw him.

She asked Alice for a cup of coffee and a muffin to go, and decided to just walk the short distance to the store from the café, rather than drive. The weather was nice, and she could eat her breakfast along the way.

Don Thatcher was at the register when she entered the shop, checking out a customer. Julia quietly waited until the shopper had gone before she went around the counter. “Hi, Dad.” She greeted him with a hug, then pulled the book from her purse. She glanced around to make sure no other customers were near before removing the book from its linen wrapping and setting it on the counter. “I brought something for you to check out.”

TAG: @SirakRomar

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: Sheriff Jack Collins
    Jane Masters’ Flat, Kennedy Street 61b, Southern District

Jane Masters had vanished.

It sounded ridiculous using those terms. A person simply didn’t disappear into thin air; there was always a logical explanation. The Sheriff maintained that mindset as he listened to the security guard’s account. As he looked from the open door to the hallway that led into the apartment itself, he frowned. Again, he was overcome with guilt when he considered the circumstances leading up to this incident. Was it possible they could have done more to prevent this from happening? The fact that she had tried to contact him again late last night did not bring any consolation...

He clamped down on those thoughts and focused his efforts on the task at-hand. Maybe they would get lucky and discover that this was just one big misunderstanding. It was summer, after all, and it wasn’t unusual for folks to travel. Perhaps Jane Masters simply wanted an escape. He had to hope for the positive outcome.

Nodding slowly, he finally acknowledged Palin. “Alright, a few things,” he began in a firm voice. “There's only two entrances, right? Since you know she didn’t leave, I take it you already reviewed the surveillance tapes? I wanna have access to those...starting with the last 24 hours. If I need more, I’ll let ya know.”

Jack pursed his lips and glanced back toward the apartment, his forehead creased in thought. “And what about the power? Is this the only unit affected, or is the whole complex experiencing problems?” He stepped closer to the open doorway. While he didn’t mention it directly, he suspected foul play. Someone could have easily tampered with the circuit breaker. He would need to check it...just to be sure.

Of course, he was also reminded that he would need to track down the mailman and question him at some point as well, but that would have to wait till later. One thing at a time...

As Anna went back to the truck to gather the forensics kit, Jack decided to get a head start and ventured slowly into the apartment to have a quick look. The first thing to hit him upon crossing the threshold was a strong odor. It burned his nose with its intensity, and he coughed lightly into his sleeve. It had the sting of ammonia; the same pungent smell one would expect to find in household cleaners. Had she been tidying up, or had it been used intentionally to cover up something more ominous?

Before he could fully process that information, the Sheriff came across her cellphone and purse lying forgotten on a table near the door. That was pretty damning in its own right. He stared at them for a long moment, half-tempted to start sorting through her contacts, but ultimately refrained from touching anything. It was best to wait for Anna to catch-up with the equipment.

6. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Jane Masters flat, Kennedy Street 61b, Southern District

Anna wandered into the flat and looked around. She spotted the mobile and purse and cursed silently. "iPhone, we need to find the pin." She sighed and handed the Sheriff his pair of gloves. The flat wasn't that big. "We have no cam except the one at the front door, Sir. I will have the file with your office before you get there ." Palin said as if this was obvious. With the crime rate of Candlewood surveillance actually seemed a bit paranoid. "But only two entrances, Sir. One alarm secured and one I am sitting right in front of." He began wandering after the Sheriff. "And I can't remember anyone ever having problems with power, Sir. New house. Runs like a Swiss clockwork."

Anna went to the kitchen. "She left the fridge open and her ice melted. Doesn't look like she wanted to be away for long." She pointed out and looked around.

The living room was small but packed with cupboards and books, who basically build her walls. Every free spot had books. In the midst there was glass table with two glasses and a half emptied bottle of red wine. One of the glasses was unused. The other was almost empty. Except this there was an iPad on the couch. Anna took of her gloves and touched the screen with the palm of her finger to not leave fingerprints. "Locked, but Netflix is open." The bedroom had a perfectly made bed. There were some pills next to the bed. A mild anti-anxiety pill. Often used to ease the sleep. A sleeping mask. A book next to the bed, Anna went to the bathroom. Going through people's thing was always part of the job. Yet, Anna obviously still felt bad about intruding the privacy of another woman. She returned from the bath and held up something. "She took the pill, always in the morning. Today's pill is still there." She sighed and looked around. "Also she was seeing someone. Half empty box of condoms. The toothbrush is dry." Anna stepped to the Sheriff. "Honestly? The fridge is strange, otherwise I could not rule out she got a booty call and was so nervous about it she forgot to lock the door."

Indeed there was neither a sign of breaking and entering nor violence here. Not any obvious one though. What was missing was an explanation for the smell. Nowhere was any kind of cleaning equipment to be seen and certainly not anything giving the flat this smell.

They checked under the bed and found only shoes, the cupboards, her cosmetics, all in perfect order and ready.

There was a small balcony. Cigarettes, an empty ash tray and a lighter were out there. Second floor, it wasn't that high but well protected against views from other balconies.

Anna was obviously unsure how proceed and made use of the Rookie privilege to let her Boss decide what to do next.

Tag: @HanSolo29

7. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    James Power
    The First Candlewood Yacht Club; Parking Lot

The rest of the meal went without a hitch, and the Power's left shortly thereafter. As James was grabbing his car keys out of his pocket, his wife finally opened up with her thoughts on the deal. "Sam is right. Deal is too good to be true, but God knows we could use the money. Croft knows that."
    He knew she was apprehensive about it, and understood where that concern was coming from. "Perhaps. I don't want to assume. When all the facts come together, then I'll make my decision." James preferred to see the best in people. The towns well being was his primary concern. If Croft was working on a hunch, as they were, then he wasn't worried about letting him take the risk. If there were more definitive reasons he so badly wanted the land, they would have to reconsider accepting the offer.

"Let us talk to Mike and ask him what we can claim as value without getting into trouble with the auditors." James unlocked their car, and got in the drivers seat. "Agreed."
    "Then we got this Archeologist at noon. He leaves tomorrow, so we need to meet him today. Infrastructure workshop at two about the harbor bay renovation of pier 5. I can handle those, so you can prepare for School Council at sixteen hundred."

"Yes, yes." James put the key in the ignition, and pulled out of his spot. "Then we can actually take our paperwork home and have an early evening. Or we approach the Sheriff about this deputy thing. I think Candlewood could really use a dedicated deputy who is taking over duties in winter."
    "I'd rather not fall behind. If the Sherriff is available I'll find time to talk to him this afternoon." He couldn't imagine why the Sherriff wouldn't have at least a little time to talk to him. Things had been so peaceful lately, he figured the man would want something new to deal with. Besides the occasional bar brawl, or drunken vagrant.

Finally she pointed out the final detail they had to deal with. "And we should pull an hour out of our schedule to talk to Sam about what he found."

"Of course there is that as well. With any luck, nothing of interest will come out of his investigation."
    The car ride wasn't long, they came upon the town hall only a few minutes later. As James parked a new concern came to his mind. "Hopefully with all the excitement going on we can still make time to be with Max." He used the term 'excitement' in a very sarcastic manner. But it was a valid worry of his, in the year since he had been elected mayor they have had less and less time to spend with their son. He feared their relationship might grow distant. The recently turned seventeen year old spent his days attending school, afternoons hanging with friends, and nights either playing games or sleeping. Power honestly wasn't sure which, even on the rare occasion they got home at a decent time, he almost immediately picked up a book, or turned on the TV to watch the news before going to bed.

A brief look of guilt flashed on Grace's face, as she realized what he was talking about. James couldn't allow that. "It was my decision to run for mayor. I knew if I won I'd have less time to spend with him. We just need to manage our time more carefully going forward."
    She nodded, and they got out of the car entering the building.

Immediately they walked up the steps, and into the office area looking for Mike Manners. He should be in by now, but James still knocked on his office door out of respect.

Tags: @SirakRomar

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    HanSolo29 likes this.
  8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001

As Anna returned from searching the bathroom, Jack met her halfway and raised his brow to indicate the object she now held in her hand.

"She took the pill, always in the morning,” she explained with confidence, now showing him what was clearly a pill case. ”Today's pill is still there."

He angled his chin down to glance at the floor and slowly shook his head. “That means this happened sometime during the night,” he said somberly. What he left out of his statement was the fact that her last action could have been calling his office. That was a little too close for comfort…

After conducting their tour of the apartment, the Sheriff stood back with his hands on his hips and sighed. It was going to take a moment to process everything, but his initial thoughts were pretty consistent with Anna’s – he wouldn’t be surprised if Jane Masters had run off on some little tryst. It happened more often than some people cared to admit. Plus, it made sense with the evidence that she had been seeing someone. Maybe they decided on a whim to skip town.

The only problem was her discarded phone and purse – why leave those behind?

And then there was the power outage, the fridge…and that terrible smell. Something wasn’t adding up.

Issuing another sigh, he turned to address Palin. “You said no problems with the power, right? Where’s your circuit breaker?” He inclined his head to take another glance around the apartment. “I wanna start there.”

Before the security guard could react, he stepped next to Anna and started to issue instructions, now fully in control of the situation. “Start collecting everything you can,” he stated, gesturing as he spoke. “The wine glasses, pill bottles, fingerprints...you know the drill. If someone was here with her, I want a positive ID.”

Jack hesitated for a moment, his gaze straying back to the iPhone. With the lock feature enabled, their chances of obtaining any data from the device were slim. It was essentially worthless to them without the PIN. While he recalled reading an article where it was possible to trick the touch sensor by using the victim’s fingerprints on a clay model, it probably wasn’t worth the time and resources.

The purse, on the other hand...

He started to reach for it with his gloved hands, but paused when he caught another strong whiff of that pungent odor. The Sheriff’s face screwed up with obvious disgust.

“And what the hell is that goddamned smell?” He pursed his lips and angled his gaze back toward the kitchen. “Did you check inside the fridge?”

9. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Character Sheet, Sirak-approved

Name: Sidney Barnes
    Appearance: comes with first post
    Biography: Sidney was born with ambitions. Her parents came from rather ordinary backgrounds and lived a life of missed chances for greatness ... or so they thought. Not missing those chances was what they basically incepted into her thoughts before she was even born. They loved her, they were not unecessary hard on her, allowed her to play and see boys ... but anything but being best disappointed them. Sidney did not disappoint them very often. First to read, first to walk, best dancer, best at school, scholarship for two of the best universities in the US, she picked Havard Law School. She passed the bar among the best 10%, choose a lawfirm in New York that allowed quick rise through ranks and is since then working feverishly on getting the partnership. Her ambition knows no boundaries. Her ambition is all she has and is. Well, until recently she met a bartender she actually liked. He has softened her up a bit, but nevertheless she jumped at the chance to take a special assignment by the biggest client of her company, an multi-billion investment firm that made major investments for Arab family offices.

A bit of a surprise was the target. So the job brought her to Candlewood, Washington, Middle of Nowhere. She had originally considered it a prank, but her boss only laughed and told her he was happy not to be the only one. It wasn't a joke.

So she got herself a plane to Seattle and rented a car with an up-to-date navigation system. The drive was actually beautiful. She was a city person, but not blind to the natural beauty. She could not help but recognize the region was slightly underdeveloped, which is why she wondered about the real background of her mission here.

10. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007

Anna shook her head. "Not the fridge." She said and smelled it too. Looking around she then nodded and began removing plastic bags from the forensics kit to begin collecting anything that could be considered evidence. "I think it is equally in all rooms with s little less in the bedroom. Someone seemed to have cleaned up and I would say no longer than five hours ago or this must have been a lot cleaner he used. Also I saw her cleaner, which is perfumed. So it isn't hers." The smell was obviously a piece of evidence that was going to vanish pretty soon. "Where do you keep the cleaning stuff?" She asked Palin. "We don't. The cleaners bring there own stuff twice a week." John replied.

John Palin nodded and turned to leave the flat. "One circuit by the emergency exit in every level and one central one in the cellar. If tenants wanna turn of power they use the one on their floor. Already checked, wasn't the one on her floor. Central circuit of her flat seemed to have flipped to off. Left the one in the cellar on off so you can see for yourself though." Palin lead the way to the cellar, which was secured with another key and then slipped down there to a long floor with iron doors. The inhabitants lockers. At the end of the floor was a slightly larger door with a "Maintenance, authorized Personal only" sign now open. In it was a small private Server and a larger central control panel hanging st the wall with all electricity circuits of the complex. The power switch was turned to off for one apartment, which had to be Jane's. The apartments were numbered differently than the actual apartments. Palin cleared his throat. "Sheriff, just wanted to be discreet about this one. Guess I know who might have visited her. The other day she smuggled a man in. Only saw him leave the other day, but old Ms. Cannery from next door complained about loud noises at night, if you know what I mean." Palin coughed. "When I say smuggled in I actually mean I have no idea how he got in within me seeing him."

Through the radio the Sheriff could hear Ethan's voice. "On the scene now. I will help Anna." Of course Mara had called him. Ethan and Jane's wife were actually friends. He would take this personal. It had been him checking on her when she had reported a potential problem and it had been him coming to the conclusion there was none. It wasn't hard to imagine how tough this would be on him, if this turned out to be the worst case scenario.

Palin pointed to the door. "Was locked when I found it." He said.

The Bookworm, Harbour District

Her Dad smiled at her when she came in and then send the customer his way. He enjoyed his hug and then went back to the counter. Actually so early the day the customers were not so many so they were among each other.

As devout the book on the desk he carefully unraveled it and then raised his brows and looked st her when he gave it a first glance. "Wow, where did you get this one?" He asked and picked the up turning it in his hands. "Binding was handmade, I'd say 19th century. Bull leather. Beautiful work, look at the lines. These things usually last forever. Looks like it was done yesterday, also the book itself was used quite frequently." He opened it up and raised his brows again. "Some English, mostly German. Lot of drawings." He looked up to Julia and smiled. "Where did you get this beauty?"

Tag: @JediMasterAnne

The Townhall

Considering how small Candlewoods townhall was, it was often remarkable how Mike Manners managed to hide in it's corners. Today Power was lucky though. As he was invited into Mike's bureau the man was buried in calculations. Calculations he had obviously made on paper and which he quickly grabbed and then looked up at his Boss. "Mayor, what can I do for you?"

Grace outside was probably thinking about the conversation they had.

Tag: @ConservativeJedi321

11. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    The Bookworm, Harbour

She watched over his shoulder, smiling at his enthusiasm, while he appraised the book, admiring it the way an art collector admired a favorite masterpiece.

"Where did you get this beauty?"

Julia’s smile fell away. “Yeah, about that.” She looked around again, just to be sure no one was listening. It was early in the day, so there weren’t any other customers. Even so, she kept her voice low. “Chloe Barnett contacted me this morning, asked me to meet her. The book was her father’s. She didn’t say where he got it from or how long he had it.

“She wants to know if it would be worth selling. I guess she needs the money, but she offered to split it fifty-fifty. And for whatever reason, she wants it kept quiet, so don’t call anybody you don’t have to, okay?”

She paused a moment, before she added, “Honestly, something about it just feels weird to me. Chloe was acting kind of strange about it, and I worried at first that it might have something to do with…that day, but she says not. I just don’t get why she doesn’t want too many people to know about it.”

12. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    IC: Miles Rayburn
    Streets of Candlewood

Miles figured the small remainder of his route would go by smoothly after that strange occurrence at Jane Masters's apartment, and on paper it did. But he couldn't shake the ominous feeling he got from that parcel, the aura it seemed to emit. It was an uneasiness he couldn't recall ever feeling before, and he didn't like it. He found himself wishing he'd just climbed back upstairs and put it back by Jane's door where it belonged.

When he came to a stop sign, his phone buzzed. He turned over his wrist and glanced at his smartwatch and read the message from Kyle. COFFEE?

Kyle had a knack for inviting Miles to things he didn't have a particular interest in. Beers. Coffee. Etc. But he usually obliged anyway, because the conversation was almost always stimulating. So he gave a quick response - Sure, be there in five - and headed towards the nearby coffee shop where his own route met his friend's. He wondered if there was something particular occupying Kyle's mind today.

13. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007

Her Dad looked up and then smiled a sad and sympathetic smile. "Really? You can't?" He asked and let the book rest for a moment, to think about what she said. "For ten years every time she showed up everybody thought about what her Dad did. If she buys a coffee, the girl whose father killed her mom buys coffee. If she goes to the gym, it's that girl going to the gym. I was surprised she stayed here. She will never be free of her Dad here. But now she sells a book that belonged to her Dad? People would talk. Everywhere. Everyone." He nodded. "We should be discreet. For the sake of the poor girl."

He opened the book again and looked at it. "It is not a rare book, it is a historical document. Can be priceless to the right collectors or museums. Or just a piece of old junk. Depends on it's historical value. Written mostly in German, I'd say. We need to find someone who knows German." Her Dad of course did not consider google translate an option. He loved books and he hated the internet, considering it the natural enemy. He leaned forward and looked at the first page. "Dated 1869, that is before Candlewood was founded. Author is J F K. I think we can rule out the President of the USA." He laughed a little. Then he looked up at his daughter. "The lumberjack colony was the only thing around here at that time. If it is from around here. But ..." He turned the next page and someone had skillfully painted a rough map of the bay and hills around it. "... I'd say it is." He went through the next pages. Symbols were there. Dots connected by lines. Texts. Pictures of stones. More pages with dots connected. "Well, looks like a notebook." Her Dad looked at Julia and gave it a thought for a moment. "You know what? We need to find out who has written this. You got plans? Or would you be up for a trip to the city archives? Maybe you find out who this JFK is."

Balzac Café, Near the Candlewood Private School

Kyle was already there and except him it were mostly students of the nearby school. The Balzac was for the school people. But Kyle claimed the coffee was the best in town and it happened to be the café exactly at the spot where their routes crossed.

"Hey there, I got you one." Kyle knew he was not into coffee but seemed to consider it a matter of courtesy to buy his friend one. "What a day? Is it?" He smiled and gone seemed to be the moody Kyle of the last few days. Kyle waited for Miles to sit down and then leaned back and looked around. Then he leaned forward and whispered. "I think there is a FBI investigation going on, right here in Candlewood." He said. "I think they go after the rich scumbag Croft!" He laughed. "What are you doing with that package man?" He then asked and pointed to Miles arm. And there it was ... a package. He could not recall having taken it, but obviously he had. It was the one for Jane Masters, of course.

Tag: @Reynar_Tedros

14. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004

The Bookworm, Harbour

Julia listened with interest as her father gave a few more details of the book, though she had to roll her eyes a little at his suggestion that they track down a German interpreter. His disdain for the internet manifested itself in various ways, but at times she felt he was being just a little ridiculous. She could see how he felt that it hurt the business, since so many brick-and-mortar stores were shutting down as more and more people did their shopping online, but the Bookworm didn’t even have a website. And in a way, Julia felt that by not at least creating an online presence, her dad was just letting the competition win. But to him, creating a website and taking the business to the world-wide-web was giving in.

That was an argument for another day, though. At the moment, they needed to focus on figuring out this book. And aside from just disagreeing with her dad’s anti-internet attitude, finding a translator seemed unnecessary to her. And she had just pointed out that they shouldn’t bring in anyone who wasn’t necessary. “Well, I don’t know anybody who speaks enough German to be helpful, and I also don’t think it’s necessary. If you really don’t want to use the internet, maybe there’s an English-German dictionary at the library. We might even have one in stock here.”

She didn’t know what the symbols were, and the dots and lines—were they constellations, or had the author been trying to map a route? And the initials, besides matching a U.S. president who lived nearly a century later, didn’t mean anything.

“You got plans? Or would you be up for a trip to the city archives? Maybe you find out who this JFK is."

Normally, she’d let him handle most of the research and contacts, but between the desire for secrecy and the fact that he was working, she didn’t mind stepping in to help. And the sooner they figured out the mystery, the sooner this strange book would be off their hands.

“I don’t want to be carrying this thing all around town, if it could be valuable, so how about we keep it locked up in your desk in the office? I’ll take some pictures on my phone of some of the symbols and any English text, so I still have something to work with.”

She was already fishing her phone out of her purse. As she turned it on and unlocked it, she noticed a new message from Ethan: something had come up, and he’d had to go back in to work. No mention of when he’d be home, but if it was important enough to call him in, it was probably going to take a while.

Julia frowned, sighing a little bit in disappointment. So much for having some time to themselves.

“And my day just opened up, so I can go look around the archives for a bit.”

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001

Anna’s insight continued to impress Jack. It had only taken her a few short minutes to properly assess the situation and come up with a running theory on the nature of the odor. Not only was it evenly dispensed throughout the entire apartment, but she also confirmed his suspicions about the source being a household cleaner. She even took it one step further and deduced that the cleaner had not belonged to Jane Masters; it was likely brought in from the outside. For a long moment, Jack could only stand back and study her intently. It took some effort just to keep the dumb grin from spreading over his features.

It wasn’t until the security guard answered a question about the cleaning schedule that Jack found his voice. “So, you contract them out?” he asked evenly, referring to the custodial crew. “Assuming your records are up to date...” he trailed off for a moment and raised his brow; he didn’t want to insult the man, but it was amazing how many times he had seen a business owner fail to retain the proper paperwork for all of their employees. That was a separate legal matter he hoped to avoid in this instance. “Can you provide employee schedules for everyone who has access to the building for cleaning purposes?”

As John Palin turned and started to lead him out of the apartment to show him the main circuit breaker, Jack paused beside Anna to issue some last-minute instructions. “Hey, I want you to swab around and see if you can capture some samples of that cleaning product. You...did a good job back there.” He offered her a wan smile, almost as if he was reluctant to hand out praise so readily. In truth, he felt obligated to uphold his stern reputation while on duty; it had taken a lot for him to extend that compliment to her.

As if to emphasize this point, he gave her a solid squeeze on the shoulder to show his appreciation before moving away to follow Palin.

Down in the sub-level, they passed through an extended hallway lined with lockers on either side before coming to a maintenance access door. Beyond the doorway, Palin pointed out the main circuit panel and how someone had switched the breaker assigned to Masters’ apartment to the ‘off’ position. At first glance, there were no other signs of tampering; Palin explained that the door had remained locked the entire time.

Placing his hands back on his utility belt, Jack turned to regard the security guard with a sigh. “No forced entry or signs of a struggle,” he noted coolly. “So, whoever came down here had a key. If I had to guess, I would say one of your own maintenance workers.” He canted his head and flashed a small grin. “You can add them to the list.”

"Sheriff, just wanted to be discreet about this one,” Palin said as he cleared his throat, seemingly distracted. “Guess I know who might have visited her. The other day she smuggled a man in.”

Jack narrowed his eyes and shifted his weight, clearly becoming agitated by this news. He silently urged the man to continue with a small inclination of his chin.

“Only saw him leave the other day, but old Ms. Cannery from next door complained about loud noises at night, if you know what I mean." Palin coughed. "When I say smuggled in I actually mean I have no idea how he got in without me seeing him."

In that moment, Jack’s radio crackled to life with the sound of Ethan’s voice, announcing his arrival to the scene. This drew another frown from the Sheriff. He didn’t intend to call him in, but he could certainly empathize with the man’s reasoning. As the one who had personally investigated Jane’s initial call, he had a lot riding on this case. Jack only hoped that he would refrain from making it personal. That could turn disastrous for all of them. Nevertheless, Jack acknowledged his presence by giving a single ‘click’ over the radio.

Clearing his throat, the Sheriff returned his attention to Palin. “You got a description of this guy? I don’t wanna make assumptions, but maybe there’s a connection. If she discovered a way to smuggle this guy in without anyone noticing, it's possible she utilized the same method last night to escape.” he surmised with a shrug.

Brushing a hand over his chin in thought, he stepped back to study the basement walls. “You sure there’s not another way out? What about down here? Do tenants have access to this level?” He nodded toward the lockers. “What about for those?”

16. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    James Power
    The Townhall

"Good morning Mike." The Mayor nodded politely, as he entered the door and closed it behind him. "As a matter of fact, yes there is a fairly urgent matter I would like your advice on."

He briefly contemplated how to put it. "If you don't mind, I would like to keep this between us for the time being. I intend to inform the council at our next meeting, though I don't want this leaking beforehand. Last thing we need is some teenage activists outside our door protesting a story they've heard third hand, and likely wouldn't even fully understand..."
    Fearful he was beginning to ramble, James got to the point after a short pause.
    "You know the old observatory, near brownback hill? Well, Charles Croft just expressed interest in buying it from the town. I know he made the same offer to my predecessor, in fact he seems almost desperate to get at it... but I'm seriously considering the offer. I wanted your input on its value. From what I know it hasn't been much use over the last couple decade, and the town could use the money..."

The Mayor trailed off, briefly wondering if he was trying to convince Mike, or himself. Ultimately he just left it their, and looked to the other man for input.

@SirakRomar

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    HanSolo29 likes this.
  17. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Balzac Cafe, Candlewood

Miles entered the coffee shop and saw that Kyle had gotten there before him, sticking out like a sore thumb in his postal uniform amidst the kids from the private school nearby who frequented the place for its free wi-fi and comfortable lounge chairs, dressed in trendy clothing, faces absorbed by the screens of their phones.

"Hey there, I got you one," Kyle said as he pushed a cup toward Miles as he sat across from him at a small table near the front door. Miles could tell that Kyle's mood had lightened since the night before at the bowling alley, yet still he wondered what had plagued his friend's mind. "I think there is a FBI investigation going on, right here in Candlewood," Kyle whispered, leaning forward. "I think they go after the rich scumbag Croft!"

It didn't take long for Miles to remember who Kyle was referring to. Charles Croft was considered the richest man in Candlewood, as he owned a couple hotels, the fish factory, and a bunch of shops and real estate. But he never remembered hearing anything about questionable practices, though it hardly surprised him that a man of such influence would fall afoul of the wrong people at some point. Before he could respond, Kyle inquired, "What are you doing with that package, man?"

Miles looked down at the table where he definitely didn't set the package that he definitely didn't take out of his mail truck and definitely didn't bring in to the coffee shop. Yet there it sat. Staring at him once again, like it had been since he first put his hands on it. His head started to spin, and he closed his eyes tight to make it stop. "Uh..." was all he could muster for a moment. He opened his eyes and looked at the package and back at Kyle. "Sorry. Been having headaches today," he lied. "I was actually gonna see if you wouldn't mind taking it back to the office for me, if you're done with your route." He pushed the parcel across the table to Kyle. "I still have a few more stops to make, and the girl it belongs to might come looking for it soon, so I wanted to get it back to the office as soon as possible, you know, just in case." Miles wondered if the package would... leave him alone, for lack of a better phrase, if Kyle took it with him. But for some reason, he had a sinking feeling that it would somehow end up back in his hands once again, just like it always did.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  18. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007

John Palin shoot his head. "Only people with keys are the reception and the spokesperson of the tenants, Mr. Winter." He looked around. "Everyone can go to the cellar and has a key of course, or they could not get to their lockers. And sometimes we don't lock the room, because ... why would someone do something there ... but when I came here earlier it was locked and like this."

He sighed. "The guy? Just saw him for a second. Slim, tall, blonde and handsome. Looked like a city person." That description fit about two dozen men the Sheriff had seen lately. Ethan appeared in the door. "Hey." He sighed and looked around. "Anna got me up to speed." He just said and turned to Palin. "Who was handsome?"

Palin shrugged. "An overnight guest who recently stayed with Ms. Masters." He sighed. Ethan raised a brow. "Jane? One night stand? Doesn't sound like her." Ethan eyed the Sheriff, he knew the potential victim better than anyone. Then he held up a box of pills, labeled Cortizone 0,3. "She has bad hayfewer and suffered from asthmatic attacks for a few years. She wouldn't go anywhere without those." He told his Boss and friend and then looked around. "Two exits. Alarm did not ring for the emergency exit?" Palin shook his head. Ethan nodded. "Just as it did not go of the night she called because of the potential ... you know. No security cam at the back entrance. What about the cellar exit? It was locked?" Palin nodded. "We do not even have a key for that one." He sighed.

Ethan nodded and looked at the Sheriff. "I can ask Julia if she knows anything. The two are still pretty close. Maybe Jane told her something about the new guy in her life. A breaking, a new man, now she vanished? Can hardly be a coincidence."

The radio cracked once. Then Anna's voice came from it. "Boss I found something."

Her Dad nodded and gave her the book to let her do some photographies. He himself welcomed a customer meanwhile. When they both were done, he returned to his daughter. "Try to identify Mr. JFK and look what you can find about 1869, also I doubt there is a lot to find about the time before the founding of the company." He sighed. "And the dictionary is an excellent idea." He smiled and send her daughter on her secret mission. It was obvious he was thrilled and happy with this new quest of their family.

The Archives, below Townhall

They lower levels of the townhall had once been the cities library and nowadays served as the city archive. It still was looking like the old library though with reading desks amidst lines of endless bookshelfs. Roberta Mandelson greeted Julia, she was an elder Afro-American lady who was managing the archives for the city. She was usually only there until noon, but today she obviously made an extra-shift. "Hey Julia, my second visitor today. I need more people to handle such enthusiasm for old stuff, if you people keep coming here line this." She laughed and pointed to a desk nearby. A man in his late forties was sitting there with hundreds of documents spread on the desks around him and he studied them, making shots of each. "Big one. Professor." She winked. Then she turned her attention fully to Julia. "So what can I do for you, hin?"

The Townhall

Michael Manners almost laughed when he heard about someone buying the observatory. But once he understood this was a serious chance, he grew absolute serious. "We certainly can use the money, would give budgeting some air to breathe, I'd say." He opened a file on Hisbollah computer and looked at the numbers. "Well, you seen it? It is a rotting abandoned ruin nowadays. So I'd say whoever buys it needs to spend a million on renovation and another half on getting the area repräsentable again. Forest has begun to claim back the land." He sighed. "But I think we can push the value of the land, giving it an A classification and declare it a prime spot. It is quite a bit of ground the observatory is coming with. If we get Morgan from the county to play along I'd say we can call up 2,3 million? Maybe half a million for the building? If Croft is willing to pay, he has the money. I am sure of that." Mike leaned back.

"But why does he wanna buy it? I mean last time he tried that he wanted to build a hotel there, but pulled out when he saw the costs for roads and stuff." Suspiciously Mike shook his head. "You know someone researched the facility lately? Had a request form the county coming from Seattle. Someone tried to find out who it belonged to." Mike shrugged. "Can't have been Croft. He knows."

The door opened and Angela looked in, the secretary at townhall. "Mayor, you got an visitor. Just wanted tinker you know. Some big shot Lawyer from New York." She smiled and was about to leave.

"We are not getting sued, are we?" Mike asked and Angela shook her head. "No, I don't think she is one of those lawyers."

Tag: @ConservativeJedi321, @TheSithGirly

Kyle laughed. "Sorry man, I know how headaches are. Want some pills?" Kyle took the package from Miles and looked at it. "Sure, I can take it back." He put it into his bag and somehow Miles felt almost physically unwell as he saw it vanish in the bag.

"Well, you need to do something about the headache, because you got plans for tonight. I mean I got plans for you. Remember Robert Brown? My pal from the army? We were trying to double date those two girls working summer in the Candle Inn. Finally we made it, but guess what ... there are now three of them. German friend is visiting them. Cute little thing. Oh and she speaks English just fine. So, pal ... we need your help. We desperately need your help. And we were saying we have a beer, so I know you are free." He laughed. "Are you in?"

Kyle was suddenly in a very good mood considering how brooding he had been the last days. But his hand suddenly lay on the bag with the book and also he probably did not consciously realize it, the hand had not left the bag since the book went in there.

19. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    Archives, below Town Hall

After carefully combing through the book for unique symbols, drawings, and anything written in English, Julia took it upon herself to take the book back to the store’s office, where she placed it in one of the desk drawers. She bid her dad goodbye and, after walking back to the café for her car, made the trip across town to the archives.

She’d been here a few times in the past, sometimes with her father, sometimes doing research for him by herself, like now. There weren’t usually many other people there, and today there was only one other person besides Roberta, the archives’ curator.

"So what can I do for you, hin?"

Julia had to be careful how to phrase her request—she would be digging around down here for days without help, but she didn’t want to give away too much. “Research for Dad again. Is there anything down here from before Candlewood, say 1860s or -70s? Possibly with German origins?”

20. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    James Power
    Townhall

"We certainly can use the money, would give budgeting some air to breathe, I'd say." James nodded in concurrence. "Well, you seen it? It is a rotting abandoned ruin nowadays. So I'd say whoever buys it needs to spend a million on renovation and another half on getting the area repräsentable again. Forest has begun to claim back the land." He sighed. "But I think we can push the value of the land, giving it an A classification and declare it a prime spot. It is quite a bit of ground the observatory is coming with. If we get Morgan from the county to play along I'd say we can call up 2,3 million? Maybe half a million for the building? If Croft is willing to pay, he has the money. I am sure of that."

"If this sale goes through I'd rather start with the highest offer possible. Under normal circumstances I'd expect him to try and barter us down but, he seems unusually interested in this property..."

"But why does he wanna buy it?" Mike went on. "I mean last time he tried that he wanted to build a hotel there, but pulled out when he saw the costs for roads and stuff." Now that was something he hadn't been aware of. "You know someone researched the facility lately? Had a request form the county coming from Seattle. Someone tried to find out who it belonged to. Can't have been Croft. He knows."

James was about to inform him Croft had promised that his desire was only to renovate the building, but the door opened interrupting him. It was their secretary. "Mayor, you got an visitor. Just wanted tinker you know. Some big shot Lawyer from New York."
    This was odd, though He did not say anything.

"We are not getting sued, are we?" Mike responded, seemingly in a joking manner, though James couldn't help but think 'gee I hope not.' If things went south with this deal; however, they most certainly could use someone with legal experience. "No, I don't think she is one of those lawyers." Angela answered.

James raised a hand halting the conversation momentarily. Turning back to Mike he spoke cryptically. "I have someone looking into the motives. Hopefully this turns out well."
    Finally he bowed out, so he could follow Angela back to the front entrance, where the young women was waiting.

"Hello. James Power." He greeted her, introducing himself with a winning smile, he offered to shake her hand, "I'm the mayor of this town. Who do I have the pleasure of meeting?"

Tags: @SirakRomar, @TheSithGirly

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    HanSolo29 likes this.
  21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001

Jack had a notepad in hand and was scribbling notes while Palin gave his account about the inner workings of the complex and Jane’s mysterious suitor. So far, everything seemed pretty straightforward. Even his description of the man – tall, blonde, and handsome – was vague. The Sheriff would be hard pressed to identify him using those parameters; he could be literally anyone in a sea of faces.

In fact, the more he heard, the more he suspected that this wasn’t an abduction at all. He was becoming more confident in Anna’s suggestion that Masters had fled on some kind of lover’s rendezvous.

But that’s when Ethan poked his head into the cellar and brought doubt to that theory.

After expressing his disbelief over Jane’s rumored affair with the handsome stranger, Ethan produced a box of cortisone pills and explained that she would never leave home without them due to her severe allergies. While it wasn’t solid proof that some heinous crime had occurred, Jack had to admit that Ethan probably had a better understanding of Jane than anyone else present; they knew each other on a more personal level. That kind of insight could prove invaluable to the investigation...but it also posed a real danger. He only hoped his friend could tell the difference between the two and would keep things in perspective.

With a sigh, the Sheriff continued with his note taking, making reference to the failed alarm, the lack of a security cam at the back entrance, the locked cellar exit…

"I can ask Julia if she knows anything,” Ethan offered after a moment.

Jack looked up from the notepad and raised his brow curiously, silently urging him to continue.

"The two are still pretty close. Maybe Jane told her something about the new guy in her life. A break-in, a new man, now she vanished? Can hardly be a coincidence."

“No, probably not,” he concurred with another sigh. “But I don’t want to jump to conclusions either.” Biting his lower lip, he took another long look around at their surroundings as he considered Ethan’s suggestion. He was hesitant to bring Julia into this, but if she knew something that could help the case...

The Sheriff nodded slowly, making up his mind. “I trust you’ll keep it between the two of you, so go ahead and ask her. But...” He raised his hand and pointed the pen he was holding at his deputy, clearly coming to his only stipulation. “I prefer to do this together. If we can work that out…I’m sure Julia won’t mind. Hell, we’re due for one of our dinner dates anyway.”

The radio crackled again before the younger man could respond, and Anna’s voice filled the small space. "Boss, I found something."

Jack inhaled deeply and exchanged glances with Ethan. “Alright, I’ll be right up,” he said into his handset. Turning, he started back up the way they had come at a brisk pace, placing the notepad back into his breast pocket as he moved.

“Looks like we caught a break,” he murmured over his shoulder.

22. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Balzac Cafe, Candlewood

"Sure, I can take it back."

Miles mentally breathed a huge sigh of relief at Kyle's response to his request, physically only nodding his appreciation. As his friend took the parcel and placed it in his satchel, Miles felt a brief, mild wave of nausea come over him, but it subsided and he didn't think much of it.

"Well, you need to do something about the headache, because you got plans for tonight. I mean I got plans for you. Remember Robert Brown? My pal from the army? We were trying to double date those two girls working summer in the Candle Inn. Finally we made it, but guess what... there are now three of them. German friend is visiting them. Cute little thing. Oh and she speaks English just fine. So, pal... we need your help. We desperately need your help. And we were saying we have a beer, so I know you are free." He laughed. "Are you in?"

Miles raised his eyebrows and laughed at his friend. "Man, you don't let up do you? First Janine back at the bowling alley, and now this German girl I've never seen before. Maybe I like being single." He grinned and shook his head at the lie, took a sip of his coffee, winced and set it back down on the table. He still didn't like coffee. "But yeah man, I'll come. When and where?"

23. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007

Ethan looked at Jack and then followed his Boss upstairs. "Jack, you are always welcome for dinner and bring the two young ladies, too." He grabbed Jack's arm and looked at him. "But seriously, we never had any truly bad missing person case. Old Canner we found dead in the woods and a few runaways ... a few drunk tourists drowned in Martin's Beach after the harbour festivities. But if this is the real deal ... they teach us the first 24 are the most important. Let me call her." He looked very serious. "We are talking about identifying a suspect, right?" He took out his mobile as they arrived at the flat and they entered quickly. "Over here!" Anna yelled. She was in the bedroom. "First we got traces of male ... fluids on the bedsheets. Took a probe. But I found this." Anna pointed at a box in front of her. The initials S&W were clearly visible and inside was ammo and a cleaning set for a gun. "The gun is gone and she doesn't have it in her handbag. That one I ckecked. A .38 detective revolver according to the papers. She had no gun registered on her name, checked already." Ethan raised his brows. "She leaves her mobile, purse and id, but took a gun?" Ethan sighed. "Jane hates guns." He went over and looked at the empty box. "Especially because her father loves them so much." He looked at Anna. "Please check if Edward Masters has a .38 registered." Anna nodded and left for the car.

"She called yesterday when I was on tour. Wanted to speak to you she said. Jack she was afraid. Otherwise she would never have got a gun. Shall I put Julia on speaker now?" He asked Jack and his look clearly implied that "no" was not an answer he would accept.

The Archives, below Townhall

Roberta laughed and nodded. "Honey, in that time everything around here was German. The town wasn't even here. They had a lumberjack camp up at brownback hills." She had a southern accent and lead the way between the book shelfs. "German lumberjacks. Migrated from Munich in 1865 or something and arrived here at 1867. We got not much on them, but I believe we store some material of their church. I mean, ain't no town but they build a church, ya know? Crazy Germans." She laughed and was at the right shelf taking out a huge book.

"Their leader was a man of faith, actually. So it wasn't that surprising they build a church." The voice came from behind. It was the Professor who had sneaked up on them and raised his hands as an apology now. "Excuse me, but I could hardly not hear your conversation. My name is Professor Fallon and maybe I can help. I have been researching the early settlements of this county myself."

Kyle clapped his hands to celebrate his little triumph. "That's my man! That is MY MAN!" He leaned back and compared to the night before he was indeed strangely enthusiastic. "I pick you up at seven and we meet them at half past at Alison's for dinner. From there we improvise." He laughed. He downed his coffee and grabbed his bag. "So see you at seven." He gave him a thumbs up. "And regarding FBI, I think it is time someone looks into those rich scumbacks." Kyle probably hated them for no other reason than they were rich. He put his jacket on, putting the back next to Miles. "I remember when his son broke up with that poor girl. Was right before I ..." Kyle stopped mid-sentence as if he suddenly realized he had stepped too close to a cliff. He had almost mentioned his service. Something he religiously avoided. "Well, heard he was a true ahole. Thought he could do anything because he is rich." Kyle shrugged. "Seven." He then repeated and grabbed his coffee.

Kyle walked out of the bar and went back to his post-car. It was only then Miles would realize the bag next to him. Kyle had forgotten it. How could they both not have seen this? It had been right between them. Inside was the package for Jane Masters, of course.

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001

They had just reached the top of the stairs when Ethan grabbed Jack by the arm to stop his forward progress. The Sheriff turned and started to protest, but stopped himself upon seeing the concern reflecting in his friend’s eyes. He was clearly shaken by what happened and insisted on calling Julia immediately. He emphasized his point by reminding Jack of the old standard that the first 24 hours were the most critical in any missing persons case.

In response, Jack bit his lip and momentarily diverted his gaze. He knew that; of course he knew that. But maybe he simply didn’t want to believe it had really come to that. He had grown so comfortable with his daily routine that sometimes it felt as if Candlewood existed in a bubble; the serious crimes that happened up in the big cities, such as Bellingham or Seattle, didn’t seem possible here. That was probably why he was so adamant to believe that Jane had merely fled town with her new boyfriend. It almost seemed absurd to consider other possibilities.

He realized that he had become lax. It was a disturbing thought that made him feel ashamed of wearing the uniform. Fortunately, all it took was a solid dose of reality to shake him from his false sense of security.

Turning back to his deputy, the Sheriff parted his lips to speak, but was interrupted by Anna’s urgent cry. The look he gave the other man said it all – they would continue this in a moment.

When they re-entered the apartment, they found Anna in the bedroom taking samples. She announced that she had found some bodily fluids on the bed sheets, but the main reason for her concern was actually a small box with ‘S&W’ engraved on the lid. One look at the contents made Jack suspect that the initials stood for ‘Smith & Wesson’, even if it did seem too obvious. The box contained a gun cleaning kit and some ammo, but the gun itself was missing. Anna went on to explain that the ammo belonged to a .38 revolver and that a quick search revealed that it wasn’t registered under Jane’s name. In fact, according to the records, she never owned a gun at all.

"She leaves her mobile, purse and id, but took a gun?" Ethan sighed, clearly perplexed by this new development. “Jane hates guns...especially because her father loves them so much.” He paused and looked directly at Anna. "Please check if Edward Masters has a .38 registered."

As Anna hurried from the room to carry out her task, Ethan turned his full attention back to his boss. "She called yesterday when I was on tour. Wanted to speak to you she said,” he uttered quietly.

Jack nodded with a small sigh. “Yeah, I know.” He gestured lazily in the direction Anna had gone. “Anna told me this morning.”

“Jack, she was afraid. Otherwise she would never have got a gun.” He paused to let that sink in.

“You sure she was the one to take the gun?” Jack asked solemnly, bringing his hand up to his chin in thought. “Maybe someone used it as a form of persuasion to get her out of the complex.” He shrugged. “Of course, it was pretty stupid to leave the box behind, but who says criminals need to be smart?”

Ethan wasn’t deterred. When he continued, his gaze turned icy cold; he wasn't taking ‘no’ for an answer. “Shall I put Julia on speaker now?"

The Sheriff pressed his lips together and returned Ethan’s hard stare. He didn’t appreciate the other man’s tone, but in this instance, he couldn’t argue. His deputy had raised a good point, and he would be foolish to ignore it. Waving his hand casually, he gave him permission to carry on.

“Go ahead.”

25. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    Archives, below Town Hall

She followed Roberta down the rows of shelves, listening carefully. The German lumberjack colony had been established just two years before the date in the book. Given what Julia had been able to make out of the book, she thought it was possibly a land surveyor or explorer’s observations, which would make sense if it had belonged to one of the colonists over in the Brownbacks.

She was about to ask Roberta if she could see the material they had from the old church, but was interrupted by the professor. "Their leader was a man of faith, actually. So it wasn't that surprising they build a church." Julia hadn’t even heard him join them, and she jumped slightly when he first spoke. Perhaps he realized that he’d startled her, and held up his hands apologetically. "Excuse me, but I could hardly not hear your conversation. My name is Professor Fallon and maybe I can help. I have been researching the early settlements of this county myself."

Much as she wanted to keep her project as discreet as possible, Julia quickly realized that he might be useful. And if he was researching the same area and time period, they were going to have to share the archival materials anyway. As long as he didn’t ask too many questions about what she was doing the research for, they shouldn’t have a problem.

“Who was the leader?” she asked, inviting him to elaborate further.