main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Horror Candlewood

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by SirakRomar, Apr 6, 2018.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: Sheriff Jack Collins
    Sheriff’s Substation, Candlewood

See the report and the apartment? Who the hell did he think--

The Sheriff would have laughed in the man’s face over such a ridiculous request if not for that familiar nagging that had called his attention to Carver’s mannerisms in the first place. He was now fairly certain of what he had observed – the way the man worked through the clues to present his theory, that same systematic approach he had seen in so many others throughout the years, and the comment about the gun. He was apparently a decent shot if he offered to teach Jane. There was even a trace of arrogance behind his veneer, the same kind that always managed to raise Jack’s ire. The man was sitting here under the hot lights, and yet he was still trying to maintain control and give direction. Some things never ceased to amaze him.

If only his evaluation didn’t make so much damn sense…

As much as it pained Jack to admit it, the man had even made a fair point about his own oversight in understanding Jane’s reasons for pursuing such a fleeting relationship. He had only assumed the worst in Ethan’s actions, but in this case, they seemed justified.

Dammit, he inwardly cursed. Maybe Anna had been right about Ethan all along.

Jack drew in a deep breath to cleanse his mind of that thought and stepped forward, his expression grim. He pressed his hands against the edge of the table and leaned forward to scrutinize the man under a hard stare. “So, you wanna help, huh?” A mirthless smile touched his lips and he shook his head lightly. “Who are you? That was one hell of an assessment for someone who just strolled into town to enjoy an extended vacation.”

TAG: @DarkLordoftheFins; @SirakRomar

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Police Station

John loooked at the Sheriff and almost gasped out. He realized this was the point of no return. Two words and three letters and he was back. After month of hiding, he would be back.

Maybe this was the universe way to wink at him and tell him he could not stop doing what he was good at, only because he made a mistake. But this mistake had cost lives. One in particular. Two. He remembered all to well, how Jacob had collapsed, how he had aimed and returned fire ... at a damned 15 year old attacker. An effective shot they called it. He had said this later before the internal affairs. I entered the room and my partner was down. I aimed and was able to land an effective shot."

John finally suppressed the gasp and sighed instead. Jane had chosen him that night to stay with her. Probably it had saved her that night. But she had chosen him to get involved. Many open questions remained and he knew he would never be able to look into the mirror if he did not get answers. He hated the idea to become involved, but there was no half-involvement and he hated the idea of not having done anything to save that woman even more.

He took the leather etui from his pocket where he had kept it for weeks now and looked at it. The weight had an calming effect on him, also he despised what it stood for. He took a second and then opened it, showing it to the Sheriff and his deputy.

"Special Agent John Carver, FBI." He said and knew he had just silently sworn to save that woman, if this was anyhow possible.

Tag: @HanSolo29, @SirakRomar

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    IC: Miles Rayburn
    Miles's Apartment, Candlewood

Miles had tried everything, yet still he found himself somehow in possession of the Masters girl's parcel. Here, sitting in his apartment at seven o'clock in the evening, watching it lie undisturbed on his small dining table. He couldn't seem to concentrate on anything else. He tried watching television, tried reading a book, tried playing a video game, tried calling his parents and only got a quick 'In a movie,' text response. But there was a constant presence there in the apartment with him, a presence that wouldn't leave him alone and that he simply couldn't ignore.

There really was only one option left for him, and Miles didn't like it. He'd have to open up the box and find out what was inside. The curiosity that had been clawing at him since earlier in the day had only gotten progressively worse as the hours passed and his attempts to rid himself of the package had failed again and again. He needed to know what continued to entice him in some strange, almost supernatural way.

And so, standing there in his kitchen barefoot wearing a pair of grey athletic shorts and a Seattle Mariners tee shirt, Miles stood over the table and took the parcel in his hands. He looked at the label again, read Jane's name and address for the umpteenth time. He knew he'd be breaking the law with what he was about to do, but he simply had no other choice. If he was careful, he'd be able to put everything back the way it was and Jane would be none the wiser when she eventually got it. No one would have to know a thing.

And so, sliding his finger beneath the flap of the cardboard, Miles began the careful task of revealing that which beckoned him.

Tag: @SirakRomar

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001

Jack pushed away from the table and slowly rose up to his full height, his gaze never leaving Carver’s face. It felt as if someone had lifted a heavy burden from his shoulders, and he smiled – he had been right in his assumption.

FBI.

It had been a long time since he had last dealt with the feds on an investigation, back in his early days as a narcotics officer with Bellingham PD. From what he could recall from that experience, it had involved a lot of hand-waving and bravado, but they had also brought invaluable insight and resources to the case which otherwise would not have been available to them. In the end, they had been the key to bringing a swift and satisfactory resolution to the incident before things could get too far out of hand.

Could Carver have a similar effect with the Masters case?

As Jack mulled over that question, he realized that his presence here also raised other concerns, such as why no one from the bureau had bothered to contact his office to inform him of their activities in the county, which fell under his jurisdiction. They were usually on top of things like that, unless…

Was it possible John Carver wasn’t working in an official capacity? Or maybe he was simply telling the truth – this was all a vacation for him.

“We don’t see you boys out here too often,” he reflected with a wistful grin. “But I guess the rugged beauty of the outdoors attracts all types, huh?” He scoffed slightly and stood back a bit as he shifted his weight. “Under normal circumstances, I’d be inclined to make a few phone calls to, uh...verify a few things, but you’re not here on an official assignment, are you?”

He trailed off and allowed his words to hang in the air for a moment. While he didn’t really expect Carver to answer that question directly, there was a stern look in his eye that suggested that he took this sort of thing very seriously. Jack wasn’t the type of guy to cause trouble for the feds, but he didn’t like being sidelined either, especially when they were operating on his turf. He was all for cooperation.

After a while, he waved his hand dismissively. “Hell, we’ll worry about that later. That girl is our first priority, after all...and I'm just glad you're here.” He angled a brief glance at Ethan before nodding toward the door. “In fact, I think you just earned yourself a peek at the report.”

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Mayor's Office, Candlewood

The Professor followed the invitation and took a seat. "Thank you. A very idyllic town you have here and very friendly people indeed." He smiled. "I will come straight to the point. I am a Professor for archeology and the Colombia University. My special field are the Native American tribes of the Washington state and I have recently followed a number of leads here or to be more precise to the hills, which I believe were important religious sites for the native tribes. I found a cave up there, which was so far unknown. Inside I found significant artifacts hinting, that the Indian tribes might have had a far superior knowledge of math to the usual tribes we know. I plan to write about it and bring a full project to the caves to explore, evaluate and verify my findings." He smiled. "I wanted to inform you on this and ask for the cities support for my project. Actually I am fully funded, but could use support with logistics and things like this. Also it will bring you some attention ... positive attention probably and I wanted you to be aware of that."

He seemed relaxed and almost happy. Enthusiastic. He pointed at the map. "The cave is right here, near the cliff at the Brownback mountains." It was close enough to the observatory to be possibly on it's grounds James realized.

Tag: @ConservativeJedi321

The Archives, below Townhall

Roberta turned and smiled.

"She wanted to see material on the observatory. Especially on it closing down. Said she wrote something for the local news? Wanted to spread her wings a bit into journalism?" Roberta smiled. "So sweet that girl, bribed me with a coffee to help her."

Julia knew of course Jane had never had intentions to do "journalism" and hated Ruth Maddows the local self-declared "press".

Tag: @JediMasterAnne

Miles flat, northern district

The first thing he realized was, it wasn't a package from Amazon. It was a box reused by using glue to pack something up. Someone wanted it to look like an ordinary book delivery.

He could easily open it though by unfolding the box and inside was a book. But not a printed modern hardcover or paperback. It was bound in brown leather and looked ... old and used. It smelled ... strange. Somehow familiar, but not like a book exactly. It was almost creepy how ordinary it looked ... probably because it did not feel ordinary. It felt ... satisfied? The brown leather was rough and aged, the paper yellowish.

There was a note attached to it.

Be careful Ms. Masters some books want to be read. NS

The handwriting was crude and done in a haste, obviously.

The door rang so loud it almost hurt. "Miles? Ready to go?" Kyle's voice was like reality breaking into the small world of Miles and the book.

Tag: @Reynar_Tedros

Sheriff Station, Candlewood

Ethan looked at the FBI ID for a long moment, but kept his mouth shut. When it came to the report he intervened. "We will have it by the evening. Our deputy is just writing it up. But I can get you what we have so far." He sighed. "Good to have you, Special Agent."

Tag: @HanSolo29, @DarkLordoftheFins

6. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    IC: Julia Wilson
    Archives, below Town Hall

There were so many things wrong with Roberta’s answer that Julia couldn’t decide which part sounded the strangest. Aside from the fact that she despised Candlewood’s best-known reporter, Ruth Maddows, Jane wasn’t into journalism at all; she wouldn’t be writing anything for the local paper. So why would she tell Roberta that she was?

And what was so special about the observatory? Julia couldn’t remember having ever gone there; it had shut down when they were just kids, probably around the time they’d first started school. And as far as Julia could recall, the observatory had closed after falling into disuse and obsolescence following the opening of newer, larger observatories nearby. There wasn’t any mystery or story to pursue there, so again, why would Jane be looking into it?

“Did she say exactly what she was writing about?” Julia asked, going along with it. “Why the sudden interest in the observatory?”

TAG: @SirakRomar

7. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Miles's Apartment, Candlewood

Miles stared at Kyle dumbfounded, a vacant expression on his face, mouth half open. It was like he'd just been torn from a trance, and was still in the process of coming back to reality.

"Kyle?" He said, confused at first. And then it clicked. Crap. He'd completely forgotten about their plans that evening after becoming engrossed by the book and the hold it had over him. "Fuuuuuudge, it's seven o'clock isn't it." Miles looked down at what he was wearing, the athletic shorts and the Mariners tee shirt and the lack of footwear. He rubbed a hand through his unkempt hair. "Give me a minute. Come in."

Miles turned on his heel and left the door open for Kyle to enter and glanced over at the book sitting on the kitchen table before he headed back to his bedroom and into his closet. He kept all of his nicer shirts hung up on the left side of the rack so it didn't take him long to find the black polo he always fell back to whenever he couldn't decide what to wear, or in this case, when he was in a hurry and needed something he knew he'd look decent in. He yanked it off the hanger, as well as a plain white tee shirt to wear under it, a pair of socks, and a pair of blue jeans off the rack on his right. He thought about his hair, and grabbed the Mariners hat off his shelf.

"Sorry man, I totally lost track of time," he called out to Kyle as he pulled off his lounge clothes and put on the white tee and the jeans and the polo and sat down on his bed and pulled the socks over his feet. "You left your satchel at the coffee shop, by the way. I set it on your case back at the office." He put on his hat and walked into the bathroom and applied some deodorant under his arms and sprayed some cologne on himself and rubbed it in, making sure everything was presentable in the mirror. He then walked back into the living room of his apartment and grabbed a pair of brown shoes from the floor near the front door and sat down on his couch to put them on and lace them up. "Okay, I'm ready. You ready?" Before Kyle answered, Miles again looked over at the book on the table, and wondered if it would somehow find its way into his possession again after he left. He prayed to God it would not.

8. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Police Station

John shrugged. "I am not here on business at all, Sheriff. Even FBI agents go on holiday." It was close enough to the truth, John decided and put the badge back to his jacket. "Also I guess having a look at the flat might help. I was there a day ago. Any significant changes I would recognize." He sighed and nodded. "Thank you anyway. I will try to be helpful." He gave the Sheriff a bitter smile. "Meanwhile I suggest someone talks to her Boss, again. He was jumping to the conclusion something was wrong pretty quickly. I think he knows more than he told me this morning." He sighed and smiled. "Been a while since I worked missing persons. Let's hope I still got it."

The Deputy pointed out the report was still in the making. "Sure, send a digital copy to my hotel and I will go over it over night." He smiled how quickly he adjusted to the reality he had tried to escape.

Tag: @HanSolo29, @SirakRomar

9. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    James Power
    Townhall; Mayors Office

"Natives that can do math?" James contemplated the mans words. It just seemed so simple. Though James wasn't an expert on the subject. As odd as it may be, the professor certainly made this discovery out to be a bigger deal than one might initially think.
    Particularly as this was the third mention made of that specific territory today. Simply bizarre, James thought.

"As it happens, I'm afraid in the coming days that very land might not be owned by the city. For reasons I am not sure of, a pair of private actors have indicated a keen interest in that observatory, and the land surrounding it."

He paused briefly, not making it obvious how strange this all seemed to him. "The town council intends to discuss this sale at our next meeting."
    The mayor tapped his hand thoughtfully on his desk. For whatever reason several different parties wanted to get at this property, and Croft in particular seemed desperate to get at it. This Fallon person, seemed the least suspicious of the bunch, perhaps he could get some real answers out of him. "I hope you don't mind me asking, but is this research worth any material value? These individuals seem fascinated by the area, and I would like to know if there might be any ulterior motives, in their want to purchase it."

Tags: @SirakRomar

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    HanSolo29 likes this.
  10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001

There was something in the way Ethan relayed the information about the report that rubbed the Sheriff the wrong way. Was it irritation? Distrust? Jack cast a sideways glance over at his deputy and studied him for a long moment, but said nothing. Again, it was something he would bring up later when they were alone and he could speak candidly.

"Also I guess having a look at the flat might help,” Carver suggested with a sigh. “I was there a day ago. Any significant changes I would recognize."

Slowly, Jack turned away from Ethan and nodded. “That shouldn’t be a problem. If you wanna ride along, I can swing by the apartment complex on my way back through town. Or, hell...Ethan, are you heading out that way?” he directed at his deputy, raising his brow expectantly.

"Meanwhile I suggest someone talks to her Boss, again,” the younger man continued. “He was jumping to the conclusion something was wrong pretty quickly. I think he knows more than he told me this morning."

Jack wasn’t going to argue with that. He had noticed the same pattern when Ethan first mentioned that Eddy had been meddling around the café that morning. From what he could gather, his questions had been very specific to Jane’s case, perhaps even bordering on personal. How did he know about Jane’s relationship with John? And why would Jane only tell her boss and no one else? It sounded very suspicious.

“I’d like to talk to the man myself,” he said quietly under his breath and glanced down to check his watch. “What time is the library open till? I may have to track him down at home at this point.” He pressed his lips together in thought. “Actually...Anna’s in the area, ain’t she? Maybe I’ll give her a call and have her hold ‘em till I get there.”

11. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    ooc: Sirak asked me to post her update. She is without internet for a day or two ... the one for Miles comes later @Reynar_Tedros

"Observatory? Yes, I saw those ruins." The Professor leaned back, now obviously concerned about this development. "Any chance I could meet the buyers?"

He looked at the map and when the Mayor asked about the material value he shook his head. "Ancient cave drawings are certainly priceless, but there isn't exactly a market for them. You know?"

He thought about something. "Vegetation is pretty thick up there. The ground is uneven and when it rains it becomes really nasty to even walk the path up there? What does anyone want with those hills, if you don't mind me asking? There isn't even a road in a mile radius." The Professor leaned back and gave the Major of Candlewood a long look.

Roberta raised her brows. "Yeah, I asked her. She said she is interested in the circumstances it closed down. Said something like 'the official version is not what really happened there' you know?" Roberta laughed. "Looks like your friend goes after pulitzer with a bit of investigative journalism." Roberta shrugged. "So I need to archive this years yearbooks from CPS." The stood for Candlewood Private School. "Maybe you ask her, I allowed her to take all the stuff with her at home. She was meant to bring it back today, so if you call her please remind her of that, will you?"

Sheriff Station and Kennedy Street and Library, Candlewood

Ethan nodded. "I take you there Special Agent. And I think you got another hour before the library closes up. You should get him if you hurry Sheriff." He sighed. "But Anna needs to write this report, I am afraid." There was a little, friendly edge in his tone. The reminder that he should not be judged lightly for personal feelings ... as they all had those. It also revealed, which was little surprise, that he had recognized "the thing" his friend or Boss had for Anna.

Half an hour later the Sheriff parked at the Library. He found Edward Roberts at the front desk, looking up at him as he entered. "Hello Sheriff, what can I do for you?" He asked and then before the Sheriff could add another word he added. "You are here about Jane. Are you? Please tell me she is okay."

Ethan Wilson opened the flat of Jane Masters with the key he had got from the reception. "You should know I know her. She is actually a friend of the family." He said to John and looked at him. "I know ... makes me hardly objective. But I think we need every man on the case, do we?" He opened the door and let John in. He handed him a flashlight he had taken from the car. It had a powerful beam and cut the darkness of the room. "The power was cut from the central control in the cellar, we did not turn it back on. We also took a lot of stuff as evidence. I got the protocol here." He handed him the paper.

Tag: @HanSolo29, @DarkLordoftheFins

12. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Miles flat, northern district

Kyle laughed. "Man, I am ready!" He winked. He was again in an excellent mood. "And yeah forgot the back." He shrugged. "My pills were in there, but I guess it isn't terrible if I take them tomorrow. My doc told me I don't need them anyway. They left the flat and as Miles locked it he felt relief. The book was inside. It was nowhere near him and safely locked away. Kyle laughed. "C'mon man the girls are waiting."

Kyle had his Jeep renegade outside. He struggled to pay the monthly rates for the back beauty of a car, but loved it to much to free himself of the burden. "Rob is with them already. We had a slight change of plans, man. We do a picnicking in Brasil!" He referred to the beach two miles away from Candlewood people referred to as "Brasil" for reasons long forgotten.

A few minutes later they arrived at the parking lot of the local supermarket and Robert was grinning at them, leaning against his old VW bus and with him were the three girls. They were beautiful indeed. Kyle had not promised too much.

As they got out Robert came over and gave both a very manly hug. "Guys, there you are!" He turned and the three girls approached. "Kyle you already know Samantha and Carly and this their friend from Germany ..."

"Laura." The girl said and extended her arm to Miles. "Nice to meet you guys!"

[​IMG]

From left to right: Samantha, Carly, Laura

13. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    James Power
    Townhall; Mayors Office

James nodded carefully. He wasn't sure how much he wanted to reveal, even as the Professor did not appear to be deceitful to him.
    "Charles Croft claims all he wants to do is renovate the building." He sat back in his chair and shrugged. "A tourist attraction like that could benefit the town, but as I said he seems unusually interested in this property."

He grabbed a sticky note off his desk, and began writing. "The other one is a lawyer representing some big New York firm. They want to build a resort there, which I find much more believable."

Looking up he raised his eyebrows to punctuate his curiosity. "Still, seems awfully coincidental to me."
    The Mayor handed him a sticky note with a date, time, and location on it. "Both parties are expected at the meeting. If you want to discuss this matter with them, that would be the best time I think." He offered a small smile. "Even if the sale goes through, perhaps you can work out an arrangement with one of them to work on the land."

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    HanSolo29 likes this.
  14. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    Archives, below Town Hall

Julia didn’t know what might be wrong with the “official” version of why the observatory closed, but everything about this was giving her a strange feeling. First Jack and Ethan called asking about a lover that Julia hadn’t known Jane had had, revealing in the process an incident Jane hadn’t told her had happened. Now Roberta seemed to be under the impression that Jane was putting together some story for the news that Julia didn’t think Jane would ever write.

What was going on with her friend?

"So I need to archive this years yearbooks from CPS." Roberta’s voice pulled Julia back out of her thoughts. "Maybe you ask her, I allowed her to take all the stuff with her at home. She was meant to bring it back today, so if you call her please remind her of that, will you?"

“Um, yeah. If I hear from her, I’ll remind her.” Considering that she didn’t actually know what had taken Jack and Ethan to Jane’s apartment, Julia didn’t want to let on that something might have happened to Jane. “Thanks again, Roberta.”

As she headed out, Julia wondered if she ought to tell Ethan or Jack about what Roberta had told her about Jane. There wasn’t anything inherently suspicious about Jane suddenly deciding she wanted to write something for the news, but it was odd. And Ethan had asked her to let them know about anything unusual, and about anyone Jane had met with lately. If anything, at least it would help them fill in their timeline a bit, and she could ask them to check for the archives’ material.

Once outside, and upon confirming that her phone had a signal again, Julia dialed her husband’s number.

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    The Library, Candlewood

As Jack wheeled the Chevy Tahoe around to the front of the library and parked near the main entrance, he slumped back in his seat and issued a heavy sigh. He didn’t get out right away, but instead, stared for a long moment at the two-paneled glass doorway that invited guests into the quaint building. He needed to clear his mind; Ethan’s parting words continued to repeat in his head on a constant loop, giving him some doubt. Was he really that transparent about Anna?

A scowl crossed his features at that thought, prompting him to lightly pound the steering wheel with his fist. His frustration over that foolish schoolboy fantasy was palpable, and yet...after the way he treated Ethan throughout Carver’s interview, maybe he deserved the scrutiny. Who was he to chastise his deputy for putting his personal feelings on display when Jack was waging war with his own emotions? In that context, Ethan’s point was well made.

Damn him, he cursed under his breath as he reluctantly pushed open the truck door and stepped out into the humid evening. The heat wasn’t quite as oppressive as earlier in the day, but it was bad enough to make him second-guess his decision to wear his hat. In the end, he left it behind on the front passenger seat.

When he entered the building, his eyes immediately fell on the man attending the front desk. Edward Roberts was about Jack’s age with a full beard and sporting a distinctive tweed suit. How anyone could wear tweed during the summer months was beyond him, but Jack kept those thoughts to himself as he nodded his head in greeting.

Eddy returned the gesture with a friendly smile. "Hello, Sheriff, what can I do for you?" The man’s lips parted with apprehension before he quickly hurried on. "You are here about Jane. Are you? Please tell me she is okay."

Jack raised his brow curiously, his elbow now resting casually on the edge of the counter as he surreptitiously studied a pile of books that awaited processing. So, no introduction was needed. The librarian had jumped into that almost too easily.

“We’re looking into it,” Jack replied cryptically, picking up one of the books and turning it over to glance at the back cover. “As I understand it, she never showed up for work today? Not even a phone call?” He frowned a bit and sighed. “I find it surprising that your first instinct was to run down to the Ocean View and ask for help from a tourist.”

Setting the book back on the pile, he inclined his chin and met Roberts’ gaze. “How do you know John Carver?”

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  16. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    John Carver
    Jane Masters flat

John went through the protocol and the flat. He looked at the Deputy when the man confessed his personal involvement and nodded. "Tell me." He sighed, as he was not in such a different situation. The scent was strange here. A hint of something that smelled like disinfection fluid or something like that. "They cleaned the place up." He said and looked at the Deputy. Certainly not the Sheriff. "Was it Jane? Or was it someone else?" He asked and he knew this was a cause to worry. "A bottle of wine, two glasses and only one used. The second one was probably for me. She sat here, watched Netflix according to the protocol on her tablet. Send me the message. 2300. She was still okay at eleven." He looked around. Looked at the protocol again and then remembered what was missing. "Papers and books. She had work with her at home. Old stuff, looked like it had been ten to fifteen years old." He pointed at the small table. "She had it here on the table. A medium pile of papers. Maybe a hundred pages. Two books which looked like they were pretty new. I did not check what they were. Felt I was not invited to snoop around." Something he regretted now. "They are not in the protocol and they are not here." He sighed. They needed to find out what she was working on. "Send your Sheriff a message. He shall ask Edward what she was working on."

He walked over to the window and looked out. Then he wandered from room to room. This was one level above ground. He opened a window just to see if they could be opened. There was no sign of a struggle here. But there was little furniture in the corridor. If it happened there ...

Tag:, @SirakRomar

17. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007

"I am leaving in a few days to research some Indio connection. Maybe if you give me their names, I could talk to them tomorrow. It is a matter of some urgency to me." He smiled and his eyes begged. Then they suddenly changed.

"The observatory is above the cave, isn't it? I saw lights up there the night before yesterday. I camped up there and ... was woken up by strange noises. Then I saw there were lights on the hill. Like really strong flashlights." He shrugged. "Dunno if that is important."

Ethan needed to rings before taking the call. "Hey Honey, how are you?" She could hear he was still tense. "Sorry about earlier, Jane was embarrassed and asked me to keep the incident two weeks ago confidential. I respected that." He sighed on the other side. "Anyway, took enough of your precious time. I appreciate your honesty with me."

Library, Candlewood

Edward looked at the Sheriff and then he looked around to make sure nobody listened. Of course nobody did. The morning newspaper reader were all gone except one sitting at a desk twenty meters away. And nobody else spend time in a library on a hot summer day. Especially not a few minutes before it closed down.

"Not a word. No messages either." He shrugged. "I was not seeking Mr. Carvers help, I simply hoped she was with him. I know she was ... intimate with him. Two nights ago I believe. Good for her. She was too long alone, you know?" He sighed. "I overheard her talking to a friend about it. Carver. I figured out who that was and asked him ... I had lot the impression he wanted to help. Told Deputy Wilson already. He seemed not very concerned." Folding his arms he looked almost ashamed. "I am pretty fond of the girl, you know? A little too fond, probably. Is she okay?"

The message arrived from Ethan. Ask in the library what she was working on. She took work home. Papers are gone.

Tag: @HanSolo29

Kennedy Street, Jane Master's Appartement

All the windows could be opened. "Wasn't her cleaner." Ethan said. He followed the FBI agent through the flat.

Ethan nodded about the papers and send a message to the Sheriff as requested. Just when he had done so, his mobile vibrated. "My wife. Guess you can handle this?" He gave the set of keys to John and went out. "Hey Honey, how are you?"

Tag: @DarkLordoftheFins

18. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    Outside Town Hall

It took a couple of rings before Ethan picked up, and Julia instantly picked up on the strain in his voice. "Hey Honey, how are you? Sorry about earlier, Jane was embarrassed and asked me to keep the incident two weeks ago confidential. I respected that.” He sighed. "Anyway, took enough of your precious time. I appreciate your honesty with me."

“Don’t worry about it,” she reassured him. “I know you can’t always tell me about these things, it just blind-sided me a little. And apparently it wasn’t the only thing Jane didn’t tell me about.

“I wanted to tell you, Roberta said that Jane was at the archives a few days ago, she borrowed some material about the old observatory. She said Jane told her it was for a story for the news, but journalism’s never been one of Jane’s hobbies, and you know she can’t stand Ruth.

“I don’t know if it has anything to do with whatever’s going on with her now, it may be something or it might be nothing, but I just thought it was odd, and I figured I’d better let you know in case it helps.

“And Roberta said that Jane was supposed to return that stuff today, if you come across it; I know if it’s evidence you have to seize it, but if that’s the case I’m going to let you tell Roberta that.”

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Candlewood

"Brasil?" Miles repeated as he sat in the passenger's seat of Kyle's Jeep, watching the different shapes of the trees as they streaked by through the windows, the straight and narrow road unchanging. "Hell, man. A picnic on the beach with you, Rob, and three girls I've never met? At night?" He reached over and turned the vehicle's air conditioning up a notch. "What kind of nightmare am I living in?" He looked down at his black polo shirt and expensive blue jeans. "I'm not even dressed for the beach."

Miles was nervous, and that nervousness made him a little excited. At his age and with his career, it was easy to fall into a lull, a pattern of contentment. Tonight was an anomaly compared to his usual nightly routines, and he knew it'd be good for him. But still, Kyle could've eased him in to this whole socializing thing. This was the equivalent of throwing him into the deep end.

A few minutes later Kyle pulled into the parking lot at the local supermarket, where Miles spent every Sunday shopping for his groceries for the week. Robert's familiar VW bus was parked there, its owner leaning against it with a satisfied grin on his face. It didn't take Miles long to realize why he looked so happy. Beside him stood three of the most beautiful women Miles had ever laid eyes on. He wasn't sure if his heart was beating at an undetectable speed, or if it had stopped completely. "I'm gonna ******* kill you," he told Kyle before they got out of the Jeep. For the first time in what seemed like forever, he'd completely forgotten about the book.

Robert came over to the two of them and greeted them both with a big hug as only he could. Miles noticed the three girls approaching and he felt like a thirteen year-old at the middle school dance all over again.

"Kyle, you already know Samantha and Carly," Robert said as he introduced them. "And this is their friend from Germany..."

"Laura," the girl on the right spoke up, and extended her hand to Miles, to his surprise. "Nice to meet you guys!"

Miles pursed his lips together in a friendly smile and took Laura's hand in his with a soft grip. "Miles. Nice to meet you." He considered commenting on how well her English was, but thought better of it. Better to be too quiet than too talkative. He'd let Robert fill that role.

20. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    James Power
    Townhall; Mayors Office

James nodded in understanding. "Of course, as I stated one is Charles Croft, the richest man in town. He shouldn't be hard to find. The Lawyer, I believe her name is Sidney Barnes; and I'm not certain where she is at the moment."
    He felt around in his pocket, and produced the card she gave him. "But I do have this, hopefully It will help you."

"As for the lights.." The Mayor steepled his fingers in front of him. "I honestly don't know. Croft said he had explored the area recently, but I don't think he specified a date. This is a tourist town professor, it may just have been some kids looking around." He didn't really believe that, but couldn't rule it out. With three parties now interested in the Observatory, it seemed quite likely one of the other two had decided to go exploring.

He offered a wane smile, before giving his somewhat rehearsed statement.
    "As long as you're in Candlewood, be sure to have a look around. There are plenty of opportunities for a good time."

HanSolo29 likes this.
  21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    The Library, Candlewood

There was something about the librarian’s manner of speech that Jack didn’t like. Some of his comments were in bad taste, particularly when discussing Jane’s relationship with Carver. What kind of boss celebrated an employee’s intimacy so openly? It was odd. And then there was his assertion that he had grown quite fond of Jane, perhaps a little too fond. Jack narrowed his eyes and studied the other man’s face. What did he mean by that?

Ignoring Eddy’s continued attempts to get him to reveal Jane’s situation, Jack decided to switch gears and focus on another piece of information he found rather strange. “You mentioned a friend,” he began with a slight edge to his voice, his gaze remaining firm. “And that it was through a conversation you overheard with this friend that you found out about Jane’s relationship with Mr. Carver. Where did this take place? Did you know this person?”

A slight vibration at his hip interrupted his train of thought, and he cursed quietly under his breath. Jack gave the librarian a sheepish look before reaching for the iPhone he had clipped to his belt. “Uh, sorry,” he murmured as he glanced down and quickly read the text that illuminated the lock screen. It was from Ethan:

Ask in the library what she was working on. She took work home. Papers are gone.

Jack stood back and sighed. Papers were missing? It sounded so insignificant, but maybe it was enough to give them a lead. At the very least, it could prove that she didn’t flee the apartment empty-handed after all. And if so, what was so important about those papers that she would grab them over her purse and cell phone?

“Actually, let’s move on for a minute,” he continued, clipping the phone back to his belt. “What about research? Is that something Jane was into? Can you recall her working on anything in the last few weeks, maybe something you were helping her with?”

22. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Sidney Barnes and Robert Smith
    Motel Room

Robert Smith was an elder man in a fine and expensive hand tailored three part suit. He smiled at Sidney as he heard her report and nodded. Smiling and nodding was always a bad sign. Even over Skype she got that feeling. Sitting at the small cheap table in her room she tried to make a good impression while reporting about her failure to secure the land quickly. "Maybe we should look at an alternative."

"Our client wants no alternative. He wants this land. Costs are fully covered by him." He said in a calm voice.

Sidney had to swallow. "Sure, I can try to find another route, but ..."

Robert raised his hand. He had been known to do this, when he knew what his associates were about to say. It got him the nickname "The Seer".

"Sidney, our biggest client wants something and he has given us the Carte Blanche to get it. Whatever resources you need, you have them. But get us this land. You hear me?" His voice was cold now.

"Certainly." Sidney replied. The carte blanche? What was so important that they were ready to throw these kind of resources at it?

"If you are not up for this job, I can send Miles." Robert Smith added then. Miles was a bloodhound and Sidney's biggest rival for a potential partnership. She nodded and then shook her head.

"That won't be necessary. How ugly can I play this?" She wanted to hear the confirmation of the mission as she understood it.

"As ugly as you want. We already have someone on the ground there who will contact you soon to give you some additional insight into this." Robert only said.

Sidney felt her hairs in her neck rise. They had someone "on the ground"? This was not a hostile tale over of a public listed company? It was buying a piece of land. Or was it?

"Robert may I speak freely?" She asked.

"Always."

"What is so important about this land? If there is something going on beyond a hotel project it would be good if I knew to protect the interested of our client."

Robert laughed. "Same thing I told them. You know what they answered? Get us the land or we find some lawyers who can. Hades means business here Sidney. Play hard, play dirty ... but win the goddamned game. I will play out some political jokers to put a little pressure on those local politicians." Sidney shook her head.

"Let us save the joker for later. I can handle this." She would not look as if she needed help on this. "The Mayor will sell. I promise."

Robert smiled. "That's my girl. I told Hades I have the best for the job, so show them I am right. They have also tripled our success bonus. Just in case you need any motivation to bend some rules."

"Thank you, Sir." She said and Robert smiled and killed the connection.

Sidney leaned back and fought this feeling in her stomach she was used by someone. The Mayor was new on the job. There had to be someone around who could put some pressure on him.

combined, obviously

23. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    IC- Lazarus Reeds
    Streets of Candlewood, In front of the Harbor Hotel
    Lazarus listened intensely as the Professor wandered down the road, some astronomy doo da, Lazarus had never studied that stuff. The professor ended his lecture with the words "With a 3% Inaccuracy".
    Lazarus looked to the Professor.
    "The only thing I understood was make me the biggest tech company, and that is all I need, you can't have called me hear just to tell me that, is there something you need me to do?"
    TAG- @SirakRomar
    (OOC- Sorry for the quick post and long delay, had a lot of stuff to do

24. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    On the way to Brasil

Robert was full of energy as always, jumping a few times up and down before taking lead again. The talkative part was naturally taken by him. "So, beautiful girls, three ugly guys, beer is cold in my van and I got a bottle of JD and some Coke for those ..." He made a deeper voice ... "... who like the adventure of getting totally wasted. I drive there, you drive back Miles! Shotgun!" He laughed, proud of this brilliant strategic move. "I can drive." Samantha smiled. "I don't drink anyway."

Robert spread his arms in his over-theatralic gesture. "Not drinking? Guys we got a nun here!"

Samantha smiled. "I can assure you I am anything but." She winked at Rob and he raised his brows. "Hear hear!" Laura and Carly laughed. Even Kyle had to. He was more relaxed than Miles had seen his friend in a long time.

"Okay, let's divide the bounty. That means you ladies. I am kinda macho guy!" Again everybody laughed. "Laura, you join Mister Kyle and Mister Miles. Sammy, I need you as my co-pilot to discuss this nun thing. Carly? You wanna join us or the guys?" Carly laughed. "I will lay down in the van and enjoy the ride. Like a good bounty." Again a round of laughter.

Laura did not say anything, but climbed into Kyle's Jeep. They were soon on the way. Laura did not allow a prolonged silence, but confidentially started a conversation. "Is it true you guys are not allowed to drink before 21?" She asked. Kyle looked at her in the rear view mirror. "Yep. When do you guys in Germany are allowed to drink?"

"Soft stuff like beer with sixteen." She said and smiled.

"What?!?" Kyle looked at Miles. "We were born in the wrong country. Well I was. You don't like beer anyway."

Laura looked at Miles. "Me neither." She smiled. "What are you guys doing for a living?"

The road was leading out of Candlewood now and onto one of the smaller roads which had a few very good viewpoints ... a scenic route as the signs said. For now it was woods to the right and left and Kyle put the lights up to see a bit more.

The Professor took the card, thanked the Major and left actually early. They had scheduled an hour for him and he was gone after half the time. With Grace in the committee and Mike working to prepare the council meeting this left the Major time to go through his numerous emails and messages.

Nothing really exciting was there. Only people rescheduling meetings or trying to get one together. Most people who served in the cities many committees had dayjobs. Many had kids. That made it a bit hard to get everyone together. Only one message stood out, especially today. JMA85@gmail.com had written him an email with the subject: OBSERVATORY.

It had been there since 02:33 in the morning. The reason why it had popped up only now was that it had been classified spam until someone ... probably Mike who also served as System Admin ... had picked it out and forwarded it. When James opened it, the mail contained only three words.

DO NOT SELL

No attachment or further info was in it.

"Hey Dad." His son had to be a reborn Ninja, as his ability to sneak up on his Dad were unrivaled. "Mike said you're free. Got a minute?" He asked and sat down in one of the chairs, smiling at his Dad and wearing his jacket from the Candlewood Private Schools own soccer team, the sharks.

In front of the Archives, below Townhall

Ethan was silent for a moment. "This could be very important indeed honey. Very important." Ethan sighed and then spoke again. "Journalism really sounds like a bad excuse. Honey, I hate to tell you this, but you should know. It could be ... bad." He was fighting to find the right words. "We got help now by a guy from FBI. But the more we learn ... you can remember hearing anything about Jane? Anybody she had contact with or who talked to her? Anything that can help us to reconstruct her last days would be helpful."

Library, Candlewood

Edward obviously was a bit tense when it came to this friend. "Yeah, I accidentally overheard them when I was sorting a few books. Of course I know who she was. Chloe Barnett. The killer's daughter." That was what people called her behind her back. The daughter of the last murderer of Candlewood. The Case that might have pushed the Sheriffs predecessor over the edge and made him commit suicide. "Jane told her something about having established a connection that might help her. Then she laughed and told her she had something going on with John Carver." He smiled. "Chloe asked since when. Jane answered yesterday. Chloe asked for how long. Jane's laughed and answered ... yesterday." He shrugged. "You see, I personally think he might be a little too old for her. I mean maybe she liked older men after the thing went down with Miles Croft. If so she never indicated ... anyway. Chloe Barnett. The friend was Chloe Barnett. She came here that day and talked to her. She was here several times last week."

He was talking and talking, as if he tried to avoid further questions. When the work came up he seemed almost grateful.

"Research? No. She is good with people. Especially guys. I mean, they like her, she doesn't give a damned about them. But you would not believe how many of the young lads started reading to get their books from her. Anyway, no she does no research. Not that I was aware of."

Tag: @HanSolo29

Motel, Near Candlewood

It took an hour before it knocked at her door. An Afro-American man with a brown leather jacket stood there, holding up a file. He was in his late twenties probably. "I am George. They send me to look into this, may I come in?" He smiled. "You don't like fancy, do you?" He smiled and handed her the file.

"Maria Burns. She is the one who will be the decision maker. Leads the tourism board and from what I found out it would be hard to act on this without her. She is not a fan of selling out the town though. So you might need to do a bit of bribing there. Also included what I could find on Mr. Croft, the other interested party. He is a local power. Maybe he can be paid to withdraw his offer. He had money, but not so much he doesn't want more of it."

Tag: @TheSithGirly

Streets of Candlewood

The Professor sighed and shook his head. The boy had inherited the money, but not the brain of his father. "Well, a bunch of Indios make up math stuff that makes all your supercomputers look like child's play. You wanna find out how they did it?"

Tag: @Master Vo'Un'Var

25. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    IC- Lazarus Reeds
    Streets of Candlewood

"Well, a bunch of Indios make up math stuff that makes all your supercomputers look like child's play. You wanna find out how they did it?"
    Lazarus freezed at these words, If he could find out how they did this and used it for his company... well, now he saw why the Professor had called him over for it.
    "Tell me what I need to do, and I'll see if I can pull it off"
    TAG- @SirakRomar