main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Canto Bight

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ubraniff Zalkaz, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I keep seeing people complain about the Canto Bight section of TLJ. What I'm not understanding is why people don't understand the significance of Finn and Rose going there?

whostheBossk and Vicarious Fan like this.
  2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Because there is no significance?

3. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Since that's a question, no, there's a lot of significance to this section of the film.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  4. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    You mean the out of place social commentary on arms dealing and animal rights?

5. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    Vegan and animal rights spiel... just what you want in a Star Wars movie.

Lobot_the_Jedi, DominusNovus and D'an like this.
  6. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    No.

(sigh)

No.

7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Canto Bight might have less to do with the film narratively, as Finn and Rose's plan with DJ ultimately fails aboard the Supremacy, but that entire subplot is intentioned to develop Finn, essentially going from a selfish deserter to a committed member of the Resistance/Rebellion.

8. ByteSizeRick

ByteSizeRick Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    In order to desert something you'd have to first pledge your loyalty to that thing, no? Also, Finn as coward who learns to believe in something was the arc of the previous movie. Being most generous Canto Bight is a retread. Least generous it is pointless. In all cases it ends with political commentary with roughly the subtlety and thought put forth of a children's book.

9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    There's that element. The Canto Bight section of TLJ does a huge amount of world building.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  10. JDN21

Nov 17, 2004
    Canto Bight was about a guy who only met with the Resistance a couple of days ago and helped them out big time. When he tries to leave to go about his business, he gets threatened, guilt-tripped and brainwashed - almost in to suicide.

11. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    No, that wasn't really the arc of the previous movie at all. In TFA Finn went from someone who just wanted to run away from everything to someone who cared about Rey but very little else. He didn't go to Starkiller Base to help the resistance, he went there to rescue Rey, he said so himself. Hence Han's speech about people counting on them.

In TFA Finn is still relatively selfish in what he fights for. He fights to get Rey back safely, but ignores the general picture. In TLJ he learns that you can best save and protect those you care about by creating circumstances in which everyone is save. This is where he truly accepts his role as a rebel who chooses to fight for the cause.

12. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    To me, none of that stuck out. So why exactly is it a problem, and why wasn't it a problem in the previous films? Are those messages wrong?

13. JDN21

Nov 17, 2004
    Were you asleep during the Canto Bight scenes then? (wouldn't blame you). The political agenda stuck out like a sore thumb, and Star Wars isn't the place for High School level political commentary.

14. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    In my five viewings so far, I haven't fallen asleep at any point. Was the problem just having too many such messages from one place?

15. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    I agree, but I'm not sure why you would come to that conclusion about the Canto Bight scenes.

themoth likes this.
  16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It was basically an incredibly naïve and border-line "after school special" attitude on class, while ignoring actual realities.

Not to mention that we're apparently supposed to cheer what Finn and Rose did despite the fact that, if anything, they just made things worse.

It was a waste of time plot-wise, and just really preachy. The previous films showed the "unaligned people making money" idea without having to beat you over the head with it.

17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    No, they are not wrong but the whole sequence with it's topic was so overdone (they could have even inserted flashing text elements to underline it a bit more) that it felt out of place.
    Further - and that is my main issue - is, that those fools freed animals and left the kids behind.
    Imagine Finn or Rose saying :"Wanna come with us?" to the broom boy and later you see the scene with the boy using the force to grab something (Why not having a black FS girl?).
    A new character would have been placed for 9 and the whole CB sequence would have even made sense storywise.

whostheBossk and Pete Ren like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thoroughly enjoyed Canto Blight. I’m adamantly opposed to any sort of for-profit military industrial complex so that’s part of the reason why I enjoyed it, plus I’m an animal rights person, and I enjoyed getting the introduction to Blagge.

My only issue with it is that it seemed like too much of an opportunity for Rose to lecture Finn and get him away from trying to find Rey.

19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Also it's ridiculously out of place given the situation. The "HISHE" video was right on the money here. When a plot line is The Resistance literally running for their lives with the FO right behind them, time is of the essence, and Rose and Finn are trying to save them, this isn't the place to take a massive detour to preach to us about war-profiteering, or have Finn and Rose waste time with this little stunt that, if anything, will just make things WORSE!!

Rian, in this context, I don't care. That's the thing, he has all of these ideas that just don't flow together coherently.

It also makes Finn and Rose look REALLY bad.

20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    To me, I know why they did Canto Bight. For one thing. Without it, you just have the enclosed space chase, the rural Ahch-TO and the barren Crait.

One thing the OT did was expand the confides of the alien galaxy, beyond Rebel bases and Imperial ships.

That's why we got Mos Eisly, Bespin, Jabba's hideout and Endor.

Same thing in TFA with Takodona. (Too bad Hosnian Prime was cut).

Without them, the movies seem too claustrophobic.

The second reason was to give Finn an adventurous locale for his Hero's Journey. It's the departure into the "Unknown World" for his hero's Journey. Before he makes the return to his "Known World" on the Supremacy.

Makes sense. In TFA, Rey's "unknown worlds" were Takodona and Starkiller base.

Finn's were Jakku and Takodona.

Since Rey gets to have Ahch-To as her "Unknown World" in the continuation of her Heroine's Journey in TLJ. It's only fair that Finn gets to have one as well. Otherwise he wouldn't be undergoing a Hero's Journey.

21. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I dug it. The designs are excellent, the guards in particular. I also think the initial instrumentation is a variation on the Cantina classic, like the band playing is covering a classic song.

22. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    I disagree. It fits quite nicely. The Resistance was in a dire situation and this was a hail mary pass.

cerealbox likes this.
  23. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    And yet, he did help the Resistance at SKB before he rescued Rey. He wasn't primarily motivated by the Resistance's goal, but only because he thought it was hopeless and they would lose. TFA Finn was not selfish. There is nothing selfish in wanting to escape to live life by his own terms. Choosing not to sign up was never a selfish thing. Regardless, the plot is still a retread. Finn goes from fleeing to suicidal sacrifice for others. It's just that in the movie that blatantly copies the other movie, the plot has to be contorted to fit the retread because Finn hadn't signed up, hence there was nothing to flee from.

Troopa212, eko32eko7 and JDN21 like this.
  24. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    It is just a side quest, like Star Wars always has. In this case, it is important for 1) character growth for Finn, Rose and Poe (who allowed them to go there) and 2) to create the issue of DJ hearing the plan and telling it to the FO.

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  25. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    I was fine with the Canto Bight subplot. Yeah in the end the plan failed but that's the point. Plus John Williams' music is great. The music reminds me of a Mario Kart level.

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.