main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN "Cap'n, I'm fallin' apart!" Scotty has alzheimer's...

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by DarthMule, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=492&e=2&u=/ap/20040707/ap_en_ce/people_doohan

'Scotty' Has Alzheimer's, Agent Says

Tue Jul 6,10:21 PM ET

By MELANTHIA MITCHELL, Associated Press Writer

SEATTLE - James M. Doohan, the actor who played Scotty on the '60s "Star Trek" TV series, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, his agent confirmed Tuesday.

Doohan, 84, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's "within the last couple months," agent Steven Stevens told The Associated Press.

He said Doohan is in the beginning stages of the disease, a progressive neurological disorder that afflicted former President Ronald Reagan, who died June 5.

Doohan also has suffered for some time with Parkinson's disease, diabetes and fibrosis, the latter due to chemical exposure during World War II when he was a soldier in the Canadian military, Stevens said.

He lives in Redmond, a suburb northeast of Seattle. A telephone number wasn't listed, and a call to his son, Chris Doohan, of California, wasn't immediately returned Tuesday.

Stevens said he last saw Doohan in January in Los Angeles when the actor made a cameo appearance in the upcoming horror film "Skinwalker: Curse of the Shaman."

"He didn't have any energy and he seemed very frail. But as soon as they yelled `action,' he was the same old feisty Scotty," said Stevens, who has represented Doohan for 28 years.

Doohan's career spans more than 50 years, but he's best known for his role as the USS Enterprise's affable chief engineer, Lt. Cmdr. Montgomery "Scotty" Scott, in the original 1966-69 "Star Trek" TV series.

He's also appeared in several "Star Trek" movies.

Doohan has lived in Redmond for almost a dozen years with his wife, Wende. They have a 4-year-old daughter and two older sons, and Doohan has four children from a previous marriage, Stevens said.

Doohan is scheduled to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame Aug. 31.

He plans to attend a three-day "Star Trek" farewell convention, Aug. 28-30, in Hollywood, Stevens said. All surviving members of the original Enterprise crew are scheduled to attend, including William Shatner, who played Capt. James T. Kirk, and Leonard Nimoy, who was Mr. Spock.
    ----------------------------
    I'm not a Star Trek fan by any means, but Scotty is coooool, cap'n.
    ~Kev

2. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    That's sad to hear about the best chief engineer in the Fleet!

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Parkinson's disease, diabetes and fibrosis.... and Alzheimer's to boot? That poor man really got a raw deal.

4. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Parkinson's disease, diabetes and fibrosis.... and Alzheimer's to boot

Sounds like Life's "given him all she's got!" and yet he keeps on ticking...maybe Capt. Scott is a Terminator ;)

5. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    All those years in the mechanical rooms of the Enterprise, probably intentionally and accidentally inhaling space ship fumes, got to him it seems.

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Nah. If I had to guess one single culprit it would have to be the carcinogenic fumes from Shatner's horrible acting. Man, the EPA should've slapped down a ban before it was too late.

7. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Aparently a lot of it came from his years in the service, just not at Starfleet.

Ya gotta love the guy who taught us all how to overestimate the completion time on jobs at work!

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, then we know that Starfleet wasn't a government-funded organization, that's for damn sure!

9. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    The guy was still having sex at 80. I don't think he's done all that badly. Its terrible about the alzheimers though.

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OK... That was too much information for me, Leslie. Now I have this horrible image in my head of a geriatric Scotty crying out, "Ah can't tek much more of this, Cap'n!"

11. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Personally, I'm wondering how Katriel is so knowledgable on the sexual habits of the former stars. 8-}

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Leslie is laden with knowledge of the stars. Now, tell us all about Shatner's toupee.

13. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    My aunt lives in New Mexico and was married to a rancher there who died at about 90 years old earlier this year. They have a 15 year old daughter.

And you can do the arithmetic. I prefer to think about it as little as possible....

Moving on to toupees, we once got a misaddressed parcel at our office. My brother was working for us at the time, and opened it.

What was inside was a wig.

But this was no ordinary wig. It looked - no joke - exactly like an old, heavily used, grey mophead. Christ only knows why anyone would want to wear anything that looked as freaky as that wig. I'd rather have gone around bald than let it come within spitting distance of my head.

14. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    Wonderpants "But this was no ordinary wig. It looked - no joke - exactly like an old, heavily used, grey mophead. Christ only knows why anyone would want to wear anything that looked as freaky as that wig. I'd rather have gone around bald than let it come within spitting distance of my head."
    ---------------------------
    Ever been bald in the dead cold of winter? brrr...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.