main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Caprica - Galactica Prequel Is A Go(ner)!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Ulkesh2, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    According to the website/podcast called The Doctor And Mrs. Who the BG prequel titled Caprica is to start production two weeks from 3-6-2008. This prequel can be thought of as The Winds Of War meets Dallas meets Bladerunner. It is a family drama and socio-political thriller set fifty or so years before the new BG. It will reveal the breakthrough in A.I. research that gave the 12 Colonies the Cylon.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Nice! Do we have any details on casting or anything of that sort?

3. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Not yet, but I'm searching for more details.

4. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    I'm particularly watching Ain't It Cool News for fresh production news. But Dark Horizons, Patriot Resource For Battlestar Galactica and GalacticaStation.com are also good bets for more info.

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, I'd be skeptical about anything coming from podcasts or fan websites. Until I see something from SciFi, I'd treat this as a rumour.

6. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    Define Irony:

Sci-fi Channel pulling the plug on BSG only to then greenlight a spin-off.... Ugh... Go figure.

I love BSG so I hope Caprica becomes a reality.

D_M_S_L

7. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Just a slight correction. SFC is not pulling the plug on the current BG series. Rather the producers have decided that four seasons was plenty to resolve the main BG storyline. I applaud the producers for keeping true to the old saying - 'less is more'. Something Paramount/Trek fail to understand time and again. The Caprica prequel has it's own possibilities. So while yes it might be seen as SFC wanting to expand BG into a franchise. It seems a bit more planned and controlled by the creative people rather than the calculations of business execs. Caprica may start out as an angst-driven family drama and socio-political thriller, but I suspect it will evolve into the story of the FIRST Cylon War. If enough people stick to it.

8. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I wasn't aware of that. Do you have a link?

9. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Ron Moore has stated this numerous times in his blogs. The SciFiChannel has always said it was their decision, and they made it.

Peace,

V-03

10. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Yes SFC decided to leave it up to Ronald Moore and David Eick in terms of ending BG after the fourth season. SFC decided not to push them for further seasons beyond number 4. Is this not correct? Say what you will about SFC this trust in Ronald Moore and David Eick is a good thing. Ending something on a high note (at least we hope so in these pre-season 4 days) is always a nice policy.

Caprica has the potential to be more than a mere prequel. The dynamics of the 12 Colonies and the early Cylon servants is akin to the complexities of the Antebellum South. The relationship between the master population and slave population certainly will be one of the sub-plots for Caprica. As with the current BG the line between good and evil is not clear-cut. I'd imagine one of the engines of irony in Caprica will be how many in the audience will understand and back the Cylons when they revolt. Maybe we Humans had it coming for being so self-indulgent with our high-tech toys. As with the current BG this Caprica prequel will make us uncomfortable with our own national history, current events and tech innovation.

11. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks guys :)

12. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    For a bit o' fun until we get solid confirmation of Caprica production here is a bit o' speculation on how Caprica might flow - from opening mini-series 'pilot' episode to a second season. Ready? Launch!

- Caprica -

1. Opening Mini-series 'Pilot' Episode(s)

A civil war called the Third Colonial Conflict rages on both planetary surfaces and in the depths of space. The 12 colonies of humankind are in turmoil. The rogue colony world of Saggitaria represents one side. The colony world Caprica stands with her allies against the rogues. As with any war the need for better equipment and tactics breeds big business. Such is the case with the Greystone Institute of Science and Technology. In secret the CEO of GIST has sent a secret expedition to the lost homeworld of Kobol. There the expedition is to seek any info or lost tech that might give Caprica and her allies an edge over Saggitaria. The expedition gets more than it bargained for. A Faustian-like pact will be made between GIST and ancient Kobollian androids. Androids claiming to be THE Lords of Kobol. Whether delusional or not these androids do have the power to back up their claims. Soon GIST has what it needs to begin construction of a cybernetic army. A top-secret weapon system that might end the Third Colonial Conflict once and for all.

Somewhere on a planet or in space a member of the Adama estate does his/her duty for Caprica. This militarized family member is witness to the final battle of the Third Colonial Conflict. She/he watches as the newly created Cylon system puts down the Saggitarian rogues once and for all. The Cylon wins the day for Caprica and her allies.

Meanwhile on the planet Caprica a very young William Adama waits for his aunt/uncle to return from the front lines. Young Billy idolizes his militarized relatives. They represent action and toughness. Unlike say Billy's dad - Joseph Adama. A bookworm of a father - boring. At least to a young boy.

In the days, weeks, months and years to come the success of the Cylon system will be applied to the civilian marketplace. Everything - it will seem - will have some Cylon tech involved. A growing dependency on Cylon tech increasingly becomes apparent. Humans just love their high-tech toys.

Few realize that the Cylons themselves are beginning to think for their own self interests. Though crudely at first.

End Of Mini-series 'Pilot' Episode(s)

2. Season One

Time has passed and dependecy on Cylon tech has led to social corruption. Devoutly religious folk across the 12 colonies are by and large turning against the Cylon system. Ironically many household Cylon servant units are crudely embracing first philosophy - then religion.

Young Billy Adama has developed a friendship with a Cylon toy unit. The machine seems to really care for the boy. Meanwhile Joseph Adama never lacks for work. The social corruptions are ever present and on the increase.

Then at some point it happens a Cylon factory unit kills a human by accident - or was it? A lawsuit against GIST is filed. Joseph Adama will find himself defending GIST - at least at first. Until digging into GIST brings up some interesting questions.

Soon Joseph Adama finds himself changing his position on the case. He'll end up representing not GIST, but their creations. He'll lose the legal wrangling. He'll find solace in watching his son interacting with the Cylon toy unit.

The loss of the case and the razzing from fellow lawyers quickly seizes when GIST's CEO is killed by what appears to be a professional hit.

Meanwhile some of the Cylon servant unit embracing religion seem to find their God. It sparks in the Cylon system the need for independence from the human masters.

A verdict is reached in regards to the Cylon factory unit. It will be 'boxed'. Not only it, but the entire unit line. To a Cylon 'boxing' of a unit is akin to capital punishment. Humans are now seen as executioners. This thought is instilled and bolstered by the Cylon's newly found God.

In reaction to the verdict the CYlon system causes sweeping

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I like it. If we're going to show characters from the current show, I think we need to have a Baltar reference. Maybe Gaius's father played a key role in developing Cylon technology or perhaps we see him defending the Cylons in some way, perhaps arguing for their continued evolution, which is a sign of where his destiny lies.

The other though I had was that maybe Count Iblis could work as Gaius Baltar's father. In the original show, Iblis is credited with making possible for the mechanical Cylons to bring down the Colonies. By having Iblis develope Cylon technology in Caprica, he would serve a similar function and foreshadow Baltar's treason fifty years later.

14. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I like it, although I don't think bringing Kobol into it is a good idea, especially given the "search" for Kobol in the current BSG.

Otherwise, a solid plot, especially bringing Count Iblis into it.

Peace,

V-03

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. Any references to Kobol in Caprica should be totally mytho-religious in nature. It raises the question of how come the Fleet wasn't actively looking for Kobol if the Colonials have been aware of its existence for the past 50 years?

The other major criticism I have is with the developement of Cylon technology. I think development of the Cylons needs to occur in a different way. As it stands now, it sounds alot like Skynet, but with a different name.

16. Radical-Edward

Radical-Edward Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2002
    In Season 3 we learned that Baltar was a poor farmboy from one of the rural, repressed colonies. He fled the farm life to Caprica and pursued his education, even going so far as to change his accent to fit in.

I wouldn't mind seeing Iblis involved in the creation or militarization of the Cylons, though (just not under Baltar's father)

17. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Well, since they haven't included Iblis in the current BSG, I would love to see him in Caprica.

One of the most intriguing aspects of the character from the original series was Baltar's realization that he had the same voice as the Cylon Imperius Leader. That was a plot point that was never expanded, and I would love to see that expounded upon in Caprica, if possible.

Peace,

V-03

18. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    As much as I'd love to see more of BSG's history, I'd rather that SciFi pumped every bit of cash they have into the last half of Season 4, and then give us a 3 part mini-series to bookend the series. And give BSG the send off that it rightly deserves for being the best show on TV. Period.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Read my post again. I evisioned Iblis as being Baltar's father, not working for him. As for Baltar being from Aerlon, maybe he's illigitimate. If the Battlestar novels are any indication, sex addiction and pathological narcisism seems to runsin Baltar's family. Unity desribes an incident where Gaius walked in on his grandfather and three of his partners.

20. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Please take note that in my bit o' speculation the planet Kobol's location is not widely known. Greystone Institute of Science and Technology sends a SECRET expedition to the fabled origin of all 13 colonies. Where did Greystone get directions you ask? Most likely a mysterious benefactor serving the interests of a certain Kobol Lord fallen from grace...[face_devil]

My guess is the source of the Invisible Six/Invisible Baltar is a REVISED version of the Iblis entity (the clues are there from season one). Greystone makes a deal with an ancient Kobollian android that sparked a rebellion thousands of years before. This renegade android looks completely Human or not at will. Like the Cylon tech of the Second Cylon War ancient Kobollian tech can project illusion. Remember the Scrolls of Pythia stating - what has happened before, will happen again. And in a manner of speaking the dynamic of invented machines rebelling against their creators has/is happened again. A cycle of invention and rebellion is playing out with slight variations on the theme, but by and large the same tune is there.

Regarding the final five 'skinjobs'-

They are different from the other seven models. My thinking is that Tigh, Tory, Anders, Tyrol, and (?-Romo Lampkin-? or ?-William Adama-?) are replacements for real Human beings. At some point in the past each of these persons was abducted by various means. Each was replaced with an exact duplicate. These exact duplicates were created by ancient Kobollian nano-tech. Essentially they are proto-cylon 'skinjobs'. One of the stepping stones toward the other seven modern Cylon 'skinjobs'. So let's say we find out that a very young Billy Adama died of cancer after the Third Colonial Conflict ended. Maybe Greystone made Joseph Adama an offer. Greystone has the secrets to ancient Kobollian nano-tech. Greystone can give Joseph a restored Billy. Jump forward to the aftermath of the First Cylon War. A drunk Saul Tigh is abducted in a dark alley while Tigh's in a stupor. Again a Kobollian nano-tech duplicate is set in motion. Are you seeing my drift here? Each replacement is to find his/her path to the offices of power. To be in key positions for certain events.

A word about Romo Lampkin and real estate issues-

I strongly suspect him to be the final Cylon 'skinjob'. Or he might be the flesh/blood form of a revised Iblis entity. Maybe both. I seem to remember in my comparative religion class that in the Jewish tradition Satan translates as advesary. Further the advesary was portrayed as a kind of lawyer. Now think about that. The song 'Along The Watchtower' also hints at the legal bindings of plowing the earth and drinking of the wine 'dig my earth - drink my wine - not knowing what it's all worth'. Sounds like a round about poetic way of describing the struggle to settle the fabled 13th colony. Who gets to settle there and what will be the hidden costs. Like maybe another Faustian pact is being suggested. I think the main thrust of season 4's resolution will involve the letter of the law - the devil being in the details and all that. Lee going from Viper pilot to lawyer foreshadows this. Will he fail like his grandfather? Or succeed like his granfather? I'm only using Lee as one example. I don't mean to write like his character is the central focus. I know how this must read. But folks the new BG is a tricky show. It plays with suggestion and nuance. The clues are in the dynamics of the characters/plots/settings/props. Take nothing for granted or at face value. Caprica might be even more crafty and layered in context/subtext.

21. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Just a note-

Yes in Judaism Satan is viewed as a prosecutor (ala "Jack McCoy") who accuses mankind before G-d.

Your idea is really cool, but I like the beings of light as "ascended" (as they were in the original series) as opposed to being from androids.

More mysterious that way :).

Peace,

V-03

22. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we learn that FROM Baltar himself? I only ask because he has a history of...enhancing...his story-telling, if ya know what I mean....

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I dunno how this series is gonna work. I'd rather have had a fifth season of BSG. This Caprica series is a real longshot.

24. Radical-Edward

Radical-Edward Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2002
    It's also mentioned in the bonus features on one of the DVDs, and it was also on the Sci-fi channel main site back during Season 1. I think that it's been his backstory from the beginning.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    The other characters seems to accept it as truth when he says it too. If they thought he was lying, they wou;ld have said that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.