main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Captain America - Speculation and Discussion ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2006
    You can't have a Captain America movie without the Red Skull. You just can't. Even the crappy '91 movie realized that (though they kinda forgot the part where he was German.....). It would be like starting the Superman franchise without Lex Luthor - just a bad idea.

In regards to the costume, a tweaked version of his 'Ultimate' costume could work, or maybe they could just go with the retro soldier outfit he had in the first issue of Ultimates.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If it were to become a series then the first could be set in WWII with the Red Skull and all sorts of Hitler-esk mayhem ending with Cap getting frozen as he does in the comics. The second flick would be his revival, possibly by S.H.I.E.L.D. since it would be a Captain America flick rather than an Avengers movie, with the Red Skull coming back as well.
    If it is held to one movie ten the first half hour or so would be WWII with the rest being in modern times. With a series you'd have more room for some origin as to his Super Soldier treatments and training, though that can be done with well placed flashbacks otherwise.

3. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Presumably they'd want to do more than one movie and if so thats probably a good idea. First movie set all in World War Two, Second movie him being reawakened, then a third to wrap up the series. But they never seem that far sighted they'd probably try to cram it all into one movie.

4. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Panther???? that is a great idea. Very MJS (guy who did Bablyon 5)..make it a continuing storyline. You don't see that very often.

5. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Well its Vaderlaments idea but I agree with him the first should be all World War Two dealing with his back story, fighting Nazis, then you can move into the present day with the other movies. If they did it right it would be a pretty epic trilogy.

6. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    Your right..gotta give credit where it's due....BUT you both are on a good track. I think that is a pretty fantastic idea, and I think it works..

we can get Hasselhoff to play Nick Fury if S.H.I.E.L.D. pops up. [face_laugh][face_laugh]

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [face_shame_on_you]

8. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    That would be good for continuity, but if we're following the ultimate line, than Nick fury should be played by SLJ.

9. Cannon_Fodder

Jul 25, 2006
    I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent here and say that's a bad idea. Part of Cap's appeal is that he's a man out of time. I mean, no one really cares what Rip Van Winkle was doing before he went to sleep, right?

Plus, there's no guarantee of a second film, so the best bet would be to place Cap in the 21st century fairly quickly, after a WWII prologue at the beginning of the film.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    But his point of view would hit home with the audience if a decent amount of screen time is devoted to his WWII adventures.

11. Cannon_Fodder

Jul 25, 2006
    What's constitutes a decent amount? The prologue at the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring is only some ten minutes long, yet it immediately involves you in the backstory of the Ring.

Bogging it down too much in WWII will slow the movie, especially since, as I stated above, a lot of Cap's appeal is the 'man out of time' aspect.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    If it were a single movie I'd make it 2 hours and 15 minutes. The first 30 minutes would be WWII, his last mission in fact. Otherwise it has to be at least two movies with the first being set all in WWII and ending with his freezing.

As much as Cap's character is a "Man Out Of Time" which you are very correct about, he is also a man of WWII, it's where he started and it's where film makers should start.

13. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    You wouldn't be the lone voice of dissent.

I don't much like the idea either. 10-15 minutes max.

14. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    The problem with Superheroe movies is that the makers often try to cram to much into the first movie. World War Two is probably the defining moment of Captain America, is it fair to only give it 10-15 minutes?

15. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    I agree....maybe I'm just projected what I would like to see. WW2 (and perhaps the Avengers) is what CAP is closely identified with; and let's face it..there would be no doubt who the bad guys would be. Not too many people these days can argue over what the Nazi regime was all about then.Trying to find a bad guy for CAP these days would be tough...your would be sure to offend SOMEONE!!

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i like the idea of the 1st movie being origins and WWII with the ending of him being frozen and in the sequel him being awakened in the present

17. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I wouldn't mind too much if it was entirely WWII. It would be an interesting take on a superhero movie to set it during the time when the comic was first being written. All of the one's recently have all been set during the present, yet they have histories that span back decades.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's too bad Fox isn't making this film- it'd be great if they could slip Hugh Jackman into like one scene as an unnamed canadian soldier or something...

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Isn't it retconned now that Wolverine and Sabretooth served with Cap in WWII? That would be cool to see the actors that played them in a Cap flick.

20. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    That would be pretty cool.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at.

22. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    That's a great idea.

23. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Cap is awesome. Bruebaker's current run on the captain america comic is amazing.

I would love if jms wrote it. He did just get a big movie deal, maybe now he'll start getting the big jobs he deserves.

MArk valey from boston legal could play cap.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I've never watched Boston Legal so I looked up Valley. I think he looks like a Steve Rodgers. I assume he can act. Now he just needs to put on some muscle. As I said before Cap might be Arnold Schwarzenegger sized but an actor doesn't have to be, but he needs some bulk.

[image=http://www.screencaptures.net/v/valley16.jpg]

What does he sound like? I ask because Cap has a super commander's voice. In fact, as described in a Daredevil storyline in the 1980's he has a "Voice that can command a god...and does" at which point some order Cap yelled out was answered by Thor to summon up a rainstorm to put out a fire.
    I would say Ed Harris has a voice that would be Captain America's voice. If he had hair I'd say he could play the part. I have no idea what shape he's in, he could be getting a bit too old for it even if he did have hair.

25. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    Not familiar with this guy..but I must say..He does have the jawline...and looks like he may fit the role...and these days with all the personal fitness trainers in Hollywood...I'm sure he could bulk up some.

Now the voice??? I'm sure that's something the producers would overlook....unfortuneatly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.