main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch Captain Rex Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Devizz, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    With The Bad Batch coming along, I am sure this was not the last we have seen of Rex. It is also canon that he took part in Battle for Endor, I am guessing he might appear in live action too.

Thoughts?

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think we might see him with Ahsoka in the mandalorian or in her own show. in animation he probaly has a storyline in bad batch and comes back in a rebels follow up story.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I could see him maybe showing up in Mando although he’ll be old

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Rex might be old, but he's still the tough old soldier. I think he still look like his rebels look.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    He would be like 80 something though

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah but i think even then they make him look like in rebels, and maybe Ahsoka helped him with his aging problem.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Who knows anything is possible

8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    You wait he will be a very youthful 80 year old :p

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    He’ll be running a 3 minute mile just you wait

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Wonder how much of a role he’ll play. Do you all think he’ll appear in the first episode

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think he might appear at the end of the first episode, He'll probaly have decent role like he had in rebels.

12. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Well, we know he's there. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    It seems like the show will cover the earliest days of the Empire, so I'm guessing Rex will be occupied with the fallout of Order 66. Maybe he'll be trying to "de-program" the clones? This could be a storyline that explains why the clones were transitioned to Stormtroopers.

I liked some of the old EU lore around the Sormtrooper Corps, how they were members of a "Cult of the Emperor".

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  16. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Well it was more than a cameo, I enjoyed seeing how Rex is there to guide TBB. However I expected a little gruff or different edge look to him since we last saw him. And also he hinted at recruiting the boys but didnt actively ask them to join. I believe it's because the Rebellion is still developing.

17. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Rex did seem more assertive in this outing as a leader. He really ran the show with the Bad Batch. This is why I love Captain Rex, he is just such a cool guy. The fact that he went through so much agony at the end of the clone war. In spite of all that Rex is still following his moral compass and sense of loyalty by continuing to fight for the Republic by way of an early rebellion against the empire. That may be a coping mechanism as if he is searching for answers for why all those men had to die. It's a great throughline for Rex's character. It's the same sense of duty that draws him into the Rebellion once we get to Rebels.

Hah, careful what we wish for. Rex could be leading this early rebellion. They make some noise, Vader may be the one sent to make an example of them. They have a beautiful model of him now, ya know? Could happen to the Batcher's too, yeah there is Echo but it would be much more dramatic with Rex figuring it out. It is ironic Rex's moral compass and independence probably wouldn't have developed if Anakin was not an unconventional Jedi. Perhaps because of that Rex was able to be close enough to him and Ahsoka to resist Order 66.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

So how do you think he goes from this to that?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  19. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    A combination of things. More first hand experience of the Empire's way of operating, maybe a chat with Rampart or Yularen, Maul monologuing about Sidious' plan, etc.

Learning that he was created to bring about the Empire, and living in a galaxy unwilling and powerless to stop its expansion would eventually lead to him feeling like he does at the start of Rebels.

20. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Something to ponder... I think Rex is going through the phase of wondering why all those men had to die. As much as he is busy being the ideal soldier he is and still fighting for the Republic in his head. Rex might be searching for answers. I can only imagine this is going to end badly for everyone evolved including Rex to get him to a point where he has given up until Ezra and the gang comes along.

Rex is apparently part of an early bush fire rebellion which at first glance seems to fly in the face of what Rebels presented in "The Lost Commanders". It makes Rex seem like even more of a liar. After TCW's finale contradicted it I had a headcanon that Rex was referring to Fives' choice in the now infamous scene where Rex talks to Kanan about his inhibitor chip's removal. But "Battle Scars" all but proves Rex never understood Fives' warning until he had hindsight. I have faith that The Bad Batch is going somewhere more interesting with Rex. That's why I don't care.

Just maybe this Retconn is still in the works and those lines are going to take on new meaning and make sense in a different way as this series continues...

"The Jedi aren't the ones who betrayed us."

"I never betrayed my Jedi... we all had a choice."

"After the war, I questioned the whole thing. Why all those men died..."

Not exact quotes. What if these lines could be reinterpreted as Rex was never talking about himself or Clones? Rex could be referring to another, passing the blame to someone else who betrayed him very personally. But also betrayed his brothers leading to their turning on the Jedi and their deaths. I can think of a few of anwsers. Rex had a front-row seat to a number of bad choices throughout the final episodes of TCW.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  21. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Maybe part of Rex's change from The Bad Batch to that we see in Rebels has something to do with the Rebellion's leadership. Saw goes to the more extreme military when not seeing eye to eye with the Rebellion's leadership; well that's what is alluded to. Rex might have the reaction of "You know what, I give up".

22. Ash_Satine

Ash_Satine Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2017
    I think Rex goes into hiding because he learns about a secret.

I still think that Sabé is that contact behind Rex. Following the book, Sabé got information right after Padme's funeral. So she is in and will learn about the twins.

Rex will figure it out that the twins are alive and that Leia is with Bail. As survivor and friend to Ahsoka he would be a main target and maybe Vader's target. So he has to go into hiding. He would never withstand Vader during a questioning.

And I think Rex's hiding is one where he still get information. For me it never looked in Rebels as if he was completely out of the picture or didn't see anyone and Ahsoka for more than a decade. Sato's Team accepted him too easily for someone who was out of everything for years.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    With Cody coming back and The Bad Batch seeming to join Rex and his small clone Rebellion. I think like Ahsoka in Rebels season 2, he be given a mutch larger role.

24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Only a few more hours now until the Bad Batch season 2, two episodes premiere. I hope we see little bit of Rex. See him contact them for a job. And trough the season they get more involved with Rex and his rebel faction that might also be part of Bail's faction. And we see Rex ally himself with his former friend Saw Gerrera and see early rebel factions working together. They seemed pretty good thight when they reunited in Rebels season 3. Hope we see more of Rex's crew of allies he already working with, Bail Organa being his political ally.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    whostheBossk likes this.
  25. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    So this should hold true for season 3. I expect to dive more into the early cells of the Rebellion which will include Rex and Ahsoka. I would like to see a different side of Rex now that he's been on his own and hiding for a while now. Obviously it would include Cody, Gregor and some other clones who retracted. (Wolffe?, Thire?)