main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ON Carleton Students?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by ForGoodOrForAwesome9, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForGoodOrForAwesome9

ForGoodOrForAwesome9 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2004
    I just moved to the Ottawa area, and am curretly attending Carleton University. Anyone from Carleton on the JC? Are there any nerdy-SW type clubs here?

Better yet, anyone from Ottawa U that hates us Carleton folk? :D

2. Mokitty

Mokitty Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2002
    I don't think there's much SW activity in Ottawa... sadly our town only seems to come alive in about the last two months before a movie comes out, then dies about 3 weeks after its release :p

A few people have talked about trying to get something started in the last year or so, but as far as I know nothing's come of it.

And to the other question, I'm not in either univ. right now but I hope to be sommmmmedayyyyy.

3. ForGoodOrForAwesome9

Jul 29, 2004
    That's really too bad. I assumed a big(ish) city like Ottawa would have a lot of organized people, who'd want to get together a bunch. Or at least have some sort of online community.

So you're from Ottawa? Was there ever any kind of groups here?

4. Agent_Jaid

Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 21, 2003

Nicooooole... you never told me more about Carleton!! :p Tell all!!

5. ForGoodOrForAwesome9

Jul 29, 2004
    My dear friend Agent Jaid!!! Who should so come to Carleton so we can start our own SW type club!!! :D

Carleton is awesome. The campus has everything you ever need, so you don't have to go wandering around a new city in the few weeks whenever you need milk, or Cosmo or a textbook. The buses and O Train in Ottawa are great too, very cheap and easy to understand. It's about a 10 mintue O Train ride to Walmart, Loblaws, Winners, Staples, Michael's and a Root's store. And it only costs a toonie to get there and back again!! And because it's in Canada (read: a former British colony) we have lots of nice British boys here! And you get to listen to them speak... British..... rrrright.....

Oh yeah, the education's pretty good too. :p

6. Mokitty

Mokitty Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2002
    Yes I am from Ottawa. Some people had a meeting or two around the time Episode 2 came out, and some got together to see the movie on opening day. Unfortunately I couldn't attend any since I was working insane hours at the time.

But about a month after the release, everyone seemed to just sort of... disappear....
    Some may still be gathering outside of here but I haven't seen anything online about any gatherings or posted at either of the Comic Book Shoppes (as a Star Wars fan, if you're new to the city, you may want to acquaint yourself with these two stores-- there's one on Bank Street near Somerset and another on Clyde near Merivale... they're pretty much THE stores for nerds in the city...), so if something is going on it's not being very well advertised.

As for prior to that I'm not aware of any group but I'm pretty young so I may have just missed the boat back in the day. :p

I expect the activity will start up again around March of next year, and everyone from Ottawa will start coming out of the woodwork, posting here, and meeting, and talking about trying to start a FF chapter. Until then... :/
    I dunno what to do. As far as I can see there are only three people from the Ottawa area who post on these boards with any kind of regularity lately, they being you, me, and VaderFanForever.

In any case I'm glad you're enjoying Carleton's campus, it is really beautiful, and I hope you get to enjoy the rest of our city too! :D

7. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Maybe I should start posting again... it has been a while.

8. BOBBY_GRIEVOUS

BOBBY_GRIEVOUS Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2004
    Hey, I go to Carleton U. First Year Law student... Renfrew House, the most kickiness rez here, well maybe not?? lol. I dont use the JC that often, I never been into these threads before, then I see Carleton Students and I get all excited....

The campus is pretty awesome and I find I am really close to all the stores and places I need to go to get my Star Wars Merchandise, whether it be the Comic Book Shoppe or Silver Snail... Walmart at South Keys or Billings Bridge Zellers... This city has all the spots to go.... but I find collectibles are harder to come by here, back home it is easier to get stuff. Here you have to fight for it.

9. Relm

Relm Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2002
    Hi! Decided to drop by and see how the boards are doing.

Yes, we tried to get a Fanforce going a while back there, but it died out as Ottawa tends to do. S'all tragic, really. (For one thing, my friend who worked at the Comic Book Shoppe on Bank Street moved to Montreal, and I moved to Waterloo. Hence the not being active at all.)

I was at Ottawa U before coming out here, and no, I don't hate Carleton. ;)

10. Dudemeyster

Dudemeyster Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2004
    I'm probably going to Carleton next year :)

Already live in Ottawa, it's pretty much an easy next step :p

11. Starlight-Pixiedust

Starlight-Pixiedust Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2004
    I don't go to Carleton but I live near it. I wish we could something going even if it was just a couple people.

12. DarExc

DarExc Jedi Master star 1

Jan 27, 2002
    I go to Algonquin, I'd be interested in a Star Wars club.

13. JediCourier

JediCourier Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    I was in Ottawa until University started for me in Waterloo a couple years ago, though I still go up there on holidays and such with the family. :)

I know my brother's hoping to go to Carleton...unrelated since he's not really a SW fan at all.

14. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    Hello all!!! This is Elijah a.k.a. VaderFanForever here!! I see that there is growing interest in an Ottawa Fan Force club. I have been wanting to do something like this for a while now. If I could get at least 6-8 people that REALLY want to do this, I would look into getting a club started...with your help!! We could meet at certain places and meet each other, and chat, and talk Star Wars! If this sounds good to you, please either post here, or PM me personally. As I said, I would love to get something going again, and not just because there is a new movie coming out in 81 days...who's counting!

I hope to hear from you soon!!

15. Hudson1138

Hudson1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 7, 2005
    hey guys im from Ottawa, I currently attend Ottawa U! and i dont have anythin against carlton! lol

16. Dudemeyster

Dudemeyster Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2004
    I got accepted into Carleton yesterday! See you all next year :p

17. Lil_Miss_Amidala

Lil_Miss_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Hey! I just finished my first year at UOttawa, studying history!

18. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Look at that... ignore the Ontario forums at my own risk I guess.

I'm a Carleton student too. I've just returned home to Toronto for the summer though. Anyhoo, I'd be interested in something if anything got going after September. Actually I still have my place in Ottawa over the summer so if there were any events I might time one of my visits to coincide.

I tried to get a FanForce started in Ottawa years ago, but there was always too little interest from too few people to get it to really work.

C'mon Ottawa...

19. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    Grande Poobah...check the FanForce Ottawa post!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.