main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Is it? Leia is going to be a plotpoint no matter what they do. This way you get it out of the way right away and provide an emotional starting point for all these characters to build upon - Poe losing his mentor, Kylo losing his mom, character arcs that are already going to be addressed in the film.

(Plus if she dies at the beginning of IX and there is a time gap, which there almost certainly will be, that leaves plenty of room to expand her story outside the movies but still within that timeline)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I agree with you on your last paragraph.

I just don't agree with the first.

I see Leia dying before the events of IX, and we see characters talk about it. (Like in the opening crawl.)
    But not show her being killed.

jaqen likes this.
  3. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Having Leia off screen finding potential Jedi gives her something important to do that has impact on the future of the galaxy without having to see it all unfold on screen and without having a direct impact on the immediate conflict of Rey vs Kylo. It's like taking Leia out of the immediate battle and saying that her character is playing the "long game" and helping secure the future of the galaxy by finding young force sensitives. With the Rebellion baton passed to Poe, what else would Leia do anyway? This is the perfect solution. She's in tune with the Force enough to sense Force Sensitives, and she's wise enough and a good enough leader to figure out how to recruit these potential Jedi to the cause.

A mention in the crawl, and one scene of dialog mentioning her mission, and it's all covered. Maybe Leia and Kylo communicate telepathically in some way, or in a dream. JJ just needs to figure out how to work Leia's physical appearance into one of the final scenes as resolution. It can be done.

Killing off the Leia character would be a mistake. Episode IX ends the Skywalker Saga, leave one good Skywalker alive at the end of the movie!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    KSennia likes this.
  4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    If Leia is killed off I highly doubt we'll see it happen onscreen.

5. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Right. It's a matter of taste because of real world events.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Exactly.

And it's redundant. Audiences already saw Leia's "death" in TLJ. The shock of Leia's Force moment was rooted in audiences just assuming, naturally, that seeing Leia floating in space was the end. This was the way they were handing Carrie's death.

But then the hope. The surprise that Leia lives on. She seems to survive everything, including even the passing of Carrie.

I don't see JJ and company repeating that moment onscreen, without Carrie, and without the hope that came from TLJ.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The only way I could see Leia dying on screen is something like

"Where is General Organa's ship again?"
    "Right out the window, see?"
    *BOOOM!*
    "yikes!"

I mean, I sure it'll be scripted better than that, maybe General Organa's ship being destroyed and we get the emotional impact of that.

On the flipside, we've already seen Leia survive a ship explosion into space so maybe we wouldn't believe that she's dead(!)

8. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    They've already set up that "space save" that she did in TLJ will have ramifications.

The strain of doing it took years off her lifespan. Plus the novel mentions the radiation she got when she was in space.

I believe they're setting it up that she's slowly dying, but it will take a few years.

Enough for her to get the Resistance in order, make peace with herself, and die before Episode IX.

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Huh, now I'm wondering if they'll explain her absence by saying that she's gone to some far away planet to seek medical treatment which she either won't get for some reason or it doesn't work, or she lied to the Resistance when she said she was going to seek treatment and went off to die on her own terms.

10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Well, considering they have to explain the situation in some way because Carrie died in real life, I actually don’t mind this. They could have a time jump and some dialogue explaining she passed away peacefully, before restructuring the Resistance. It would be tasteful if done correctly.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    cathiecat and cerealbox like this.
  11. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think they missed a huge opportunity in TLJ, if there was some way to have given Leia the scene Luke had through clever editing or cgi, it would've been far better for the story going forward. I can imagine what theatres would be like had Leia sat on a rock on Crait, the Rebels race aboard the Falcon, Rey notices she hasn't followed them and walks back down the boarding ramp followed by Poe, Finn and Rose. Rey shouts out to Leia but she doesn't respond. Then as Leia watches the horizon she fades away and becomes one with the Force.

And there wouldn't be a dry eye in the audience too.

seattlemusicnerd and KSennia like this.
  12. droid_j

droid_j Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2018
    I totally agree with this. They just have to rearrange the plot a bit.

themoth likes this.
  13. KSennia

KSennia Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I see no reason why Leia needs to die just because Carrie passed away. They have so many other options available to them. Leia is away on a mission that the movie doesn't focus on. There are so many clever ways to digitally recreate someone, anything from using old footage to what they did in Rogue One. I've seen many good suggestions in here. The only options I don't like are death and recasting, unless it's voice acting since Leia has been voice acted by others since the new Hope radio drama days. But if they could use Carrie's voice in nine I would still prefer that.

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    There are people in their feelings over Leia doing a simple Force pull.

I don't think they'd ever have Leia go from novice Force user to disappearing Jedi. If Leia's at the level where she can Force ghost instantly, then she's at the level where she could've faced Kylo herself. Why would she be looking for Luke at all then? She just would've taken his place as the Rebellion war hero Jedi that she thinks the galaxy needs.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    11-4D likes this.
  15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    After all the disasters (Han, Ben, Luke, etc.) Leia had (what we learned so far from the ST and the novels), I am wondering why it is Luke who is sitting on Ahch To being broken. I'd rather see Leia there being grumpy and drinking green milk.
    However, she is obviously mentally a very strong individual.

jaqen likes this.
  16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    OMG Carrie would've played the hell out of a cynical, reclusive, sardonic Leia who, after a lifetime of loss, was just so over it.

Hell Carrie could've made a one woman show out of that premise.

17. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Imagine the green milk scene and the expression on the face played by Carrie. Priceless. Especially her interviews afterwards.

jaqen likes this.
  18. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Does it need explaining? Sometimes leaving it a mystery can be the best solution. She's still the war hero who led the Rebellion in defeating the Empire, she's still the hero who formed the Resistance to stop the evil FO and she'd still be the Resistance hero who led them in destroying SKB and leads them to safety after the FO tries to wipe them out. She is and always will be the daughter of the Chosen One and that cannot be ignored.

KSennia likes this.
  19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I will not be able to unimagine that.

You legit, for the first time ever, have me kinda wishing Leia was the one on the island. I mean Rey wouldn't have lasted long. She would've pleaded with Leia to rejoin the fight, but one long, sarcastic monologue from Leia, complete with deathstick hanging from her lip, about all she'd given, sacrificed, for the greater good, and how it all lead to nothing but loss, would've left Rey apologizing for bothering her before immediately leaving in the Falcon.

20. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    If she would have been the one catching Kylo and Rey in the hut, she'd have said:
    [​IMG]

21. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    You bring up a great point. Leia chose a different path. She had force abilities, and it was great that we finally got to see them more than her sense of clairvoyance in ESB. But I actually don't mind that she never became a Jedi in her own right. She had chosen a different path of service that provided so many benefits to others in a different way. While she was the daughter of the Chosen One, she became a servant leader much along the lines of her adopted father Bail Organa. She was willing to lay her life down in other ways and helped bring peace to the galaxy following the battle of Endor.

I've seen a lot of fan art with the roles reversed and Luke was the diplomat and politician and Leia was the Jedi. I think it would have been just as rich of a story.

But for me, Leia has always been the Sacred Mother--even long before she became a biological one. She took the entire Rebellion (and Resistance) ultimately under her wing. As Bail said in RO, he trusted her with his life. She did not follow the Chosen One's path, but she brought peace and unity in her own way and will strive to do it until her last dying breath which will unfortunately likely be in IX.

22. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Maybe Leia's death is caused by the long space exposure in TLJ?

23. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    I wonder with JJ being involved now instead of Trevorrow whether he would try to dissuade KK in her decision to have no CGI Leia, he could argue that it denies him a huge piece in wrapping up the story's conclusion. To conclude the trilogy without Leia when everything seemed to be going in the direction of mother saving son, is going to be difficult and I can see JJ at least trying to reverse the decision.

24. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
  25. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Encuentro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.