main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, Driver has the talent to manage it.

Darth Smurf and Iron_lord like this.
  2. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I'd like them to recycle this:

[​IMG]

wobbits, teamhansolo, sethg and 2 others like this.
  3. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    ^ I think that scene is the closest we have to a lock for Leia in IX. It's a complete scene that was cut and not even shown on the Blu-ray! We don't know much about it, other than the lightsaber hand-off, but given that it includes Maz (and Maz is confirmed for IX) it seems likely, but it'll be easy to change Maz's words/performance to match however they need to massage this scene into IX because most likely the context of it will have to be altered at least slightly.

teamhansolo and laurethiel1138 like this.
  4. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Hopefully they have found unseen footage of Leia that could work her interacting with Kylo Ren.....but I suspect it may only be Leia in one flashback & 1 or 2 scenes with her at a new hidden base........

teamhansolo likes this.
  5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    There's all kinds of moviemaking magic they could work. But I also have wondered this-if the scenes we see with Leia are basically all flashback scenes. I'm eager to see what they do with that footage.

jaqen likes this.
  6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Yeah can't wait to be honest - Leia coming back makes me want to see EP9 more than ever....

7. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    If they are never face to face, JJ can definitely have Kylo and Leia talk to each other telepathically through the Force. There's no doubt about that. How that is set up and why that communication takes place is another story. But it could easily be the case of Kylo doing most of the talking (maybe he's the one who reaches out to her) and Leia responds with two or three lines, something shorter but that makes sense. All ADR and shots of the two characters with their eyes closed or looking contemplative.

jaqen likes this.
  8. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    I don’t think they’ll be used for flashbacks, there’s really no reason for flashbacks based on her physical appearance in FA, TLJ. They want and need her for the current story. Not saying there won’t be a flashback to maybe a time Han and Leia leave Ben with Luke. I imagine they’ll definitely repurpose the Max, Leia, lightsaber scene... perhaps Max repairs it and gives it to Leia as a symbol of her family. I imagine a bulk of her scenes will be reaction shots of her at an isolated location communicating to Rey, Finn and Poe through transmission, with a lot of ADR work. And then a Kylo confrontation in the manner posted above. I think she’ll have the unedited ponytail and maybe simply keeping her in the jumpsuit and black vest.

9. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    I agree there is no benefit of flashbacks of Leia looking how she did in TFA and TLJ. Those scenes were cut out. That means they did not happen in their original context anymore. No matter what they will be repurposed in someway. Whether in the past, just a guess 3 years before episode 9, or the present tense of the next movie.

To do so would me they would need to be presented as lost moments in the films. Problem is they were cut for a reason. Even the Leia and Maz scene can only work if it’s altered to be later and different.

The point of all of this work, and it will not be easy, is to show that Leia is still alive after The Last Jedi.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    DarthHass and jaqen like this.
  10. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    Oscar Isaac Talks Carrie Fisher's Posthumous Return to Star Wars: It 'Made a Lot of Sense'

'Star Wars': Oscar Isaac says Carrie Fisher's still 'with us' filming 'Episode IX'

11. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Same here. I mentioned in the other topic Maz handing over Luke's rebuilt lightsaber that Leia will use in a confrontation with Kylo would be a great way to repurpose this scene into the story.

teamhansolo likes this.
  12. Scruffy nerf

Jul 11, 2015
    That would actually be amazing. As much as I complained about it back in 2015, I’ve never been so happy about a scene being cut... to now being potentially used in a thrilling manner.

teamhansolo likes this.
  13. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Not saying Leia could or should do a lightsaber duel or even some talking and brandishing of the Luke lightsaber, but it could be done. Just look what Lucas did in AOTC and ROTS with putting Christopher Lee's face onto the stunt double's body for two full duels, and that was over a decade ago.

It's confirmed Fisher did the full body scan thing, and the "mary poppins" sequence in TLJ utilized that for a CG Leia already.

I think Maz will be shown to have repaired Luke's lightsaber (and Rey has made her own), and Maz goes and delivers the Luke lightsaber to Leia, who simply keeps it as a memory of her brother. I don't think they'll put her in a duel, but it is possible!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  14. Scruffy nerf

Jul 11, 2015
    I agree. It’s just as effective if Leia receives it as a symbol and it brings and solidifies her relationship with Luke and Vader. And is more reflective, tying all nine films together.

If they bring her into a Kylo scene, which I imagine is the plan in the final act, it’ll be without a weapon and softer. And probably after Rey and he have had their huge lightsaber duel.

15. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Love it! Also the lightsaber has been used very effectively this trilogy as a symbol of Vader/Anakin's legacy. Leia receiving the lightsaber and maybe handing it off to a redeemed Kylo would be an amazing moment tying the whole family together across the 9 films. It would give Leia the chance to act as the steward of the Skywalker legacy a bit and would be a great way of paying off her lineage reveal in ROTJ.

I understand why people think Leia hasn't been particularly well utilized in the ST, but I think their overrarching plan of making Leia *the* legacy character for IX and the one to ultimately redeem Kylo (cause, come on, we can pretty much assume this was the plan) was IMO a well-thought out way to make her important to the skywalker drama and pay off her character more.

16. Johnny Trujillo

Johnny Trujillo Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2016
    I dont post often, but I have a theory of “reversing” the handoff of the lightsaber. Please don’t destroy my thought. What if JJ used this Maz/Leia footage and played it in reverse for a scene.

So they are change it to a flashback scene of Leia handing Maz the lightsaber sometime in the past, thus explaining how Maz actually got it in the first place. A tribute to Leia, showing that she sparked the transfer from The Skywalkers to a new hope, Rey.

17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Rey has the saber. Why would Maz and Leia be handing it off?

I don't get the obsession with reusing this one scene.

Darth Gummybear likes this.
  18. Johnny Trujillo

Nov 27, 2016
    Jaqen. You are misunderstanding me. There is rumors that this story will go into the past (flashbacks or whatever). If JJ does take this ‘explore the past’ route, then they should reverse play this footage and have Leia hand Maz the LightSaber (in a scene that took place months/years before the force awakens). Maz then takes the Saber to her castle/bar with the promise to leia that she will give it to a rightful person that the LightSaber draws in to it. Eventually when Rey does discover it, Maz insists that this must be the “chosen” person that Leia had foreseen. It fits perfect as well as explains how Maz got it!

19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s a nice-looking scene.

20. Johnny Trujillo

Nov 27, 2016
    I mentioned using the Leia /Maz lightsaber footage played in reverse. I want to take this idea one step further....

This could also be how Rey’s big heritage reveal is played out. Putting the lightsaber exchange at the END of the movie. One final flashback......

This scene takes place in the past, as a flashback at the very end of the movie:

Leia :“Maz, I have a very important job for you. Take this lightsaber with you. Someday someone will seek it out. Please ensure that this rightful person takes the lightsaber”

Maz: “Of Course, Leia. I will do anything for you. But, why? What did you foresee?”

Leia: “That lightsaber belongs to Skywalker family.”

Maz: “ So your son, Ben- will come for the saber ?”

Leia: “No, not Ben. The person that will be drawn to the sword is his sister**.”

END SCENE

**I know ‘sister’ may be far fetched. But the surprise reveal can be anything or anyone that fits the story....
    “....his sister”
    “....the new chosen one”
    “....Kenobi’s bloodline”
    “....the person who will bring balance”

Just my thoughts.

21. Johnny Trujillo

Nov 27, 2016
    And the scene plays smoothly and looks like Leia is handing the Saber to Maz perfectly......
    ( 0:57 to 1:02 mark on this video ).....

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I like this idea that JJ was so forward thinking that he put a scene from Episode Nine in the first TFA teaser.

23. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I feel the lightsaber scene is essential - incorporating it as filmed or in reverse gives added potential to Episode IX. I'd love to see Maz repair it and return it to Leia. Ideally, I'd like the character to wield the saber for the final film, but not in a violent combative way. If they have a deleted scene or some magic to put her in a shot with Ben, I'd like her to simply ignite it and disarm him with the Force - ending the confrontation without a fight.

24. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    The backward trailer! That was great! Thanks for the laughs. Chewie were home and Luke's lines sounded like German or some foreign language. But yeah I see that the handoff could work, although I think it looks a bit sudden.

25. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    But if so, that scene could only take place just a few years before TFA, after the breakup with Han (which was less than six years before TFA). Since it's a reused scene, Leia will look as old as in the ST. Would at least explain why Han was surprised to see the lightsaber at Maz' castle in TFA.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T580 mit Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.