main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The importance for the narrative should be the deciding factor, not sentiment.
    [​IMG]
    The build up has to be fulfilled.

Avilos likes this.
  2. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    My thinking exactly.

I think some kind of Leia and Ben/Kylo scene is essential. Whether flashback or present time it needs to be Carrie Fisher to be genuine. Many actors have been digitally deaged.

I really do not see the benefits of Billie playing her Mom in a flashback. They would still have to change her appearance. There is a resemblance but not that close. Plus she is much younger than Carrie even in Return of Jedi. Is there much difference of Billie being a stand than what was done in Rogue One. Sentimental at most. I could theoretically image her as Leia in a flashback if we never see her face. But that would have to be true for anyone else in the same flashback. Or she would seem out of place.

Django Fett likes this.
  3. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I've never seen that shot of Lupita & Carrie, I certainly hope they repurpose it. I honestly don't mind them altering scenes, characters, outfits, etc to meet the demands of the story, so long as Carrie's not a CGI character like Tarkin - that would feel off, but they should absolutely use every bit of footage at their disposal.

4. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    BL is 26 (almost 27). If we're talking about a hypothetical flashback to a conversation Leia and Luke had shortly after RotJ, they could get extremely close with BL imo. It's an option if they absolutely needed the scene and didn't have something filmed (which they might have filmed from TFA anyway, though I'm not a fan of deaging in general). It would be more in the spirit of honoring CF than what was done in R1 (and yes, huge difference), and it would look more organic. I doubt they would do it, but if the rumor is legitimate then I feel it's a better option than an overlay.
    FWIW, my first thought on seeing "stand-in" was literally just that, BL standing in for Leia in scenes with the other actors, just as a physical presence to simulate where CF will be added digitally.

5. dingleborder

dingleborder Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2019
    Another photos I don't think has been posted before:
    https://scifi.stackexchange.com/que...-these-images-from-the-visual-dictionary-from
    [​IMG]

Also some interesting context from the scene we saw in the trailer:
    https://www.slashfilm.com/general-leia-in-star-wars-episode-9/
    This definitely could explain Oscar Isaac's comments about Leia being gone. A goodbye at the beginning, and then Leia's scenes operate (mostly) independently from the trio.

6. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    Fascinating stuff! The important thing I s Carrie’s dialogue and closeups. All scenes are shot from multiple angles. That scene if used would certainly still be Rey and Leia. But everything else could change, Daisy could have shot a new version of her reactions and lines.

If so someone would need to represent Leia off camera for the other actors. Maybe that is what Billie does. Not actually on camera as Leia.

All this raises the question of how comfortable Billie would be playing Leia in anyway? That is a huge burden for her to carry in addition to her loss. We will find out. It’s a big difference of her playing another character, she already has before, and being Leia. Lot of emotions and expectations. Fans are so judgmental already.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  7. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Yeah there's questions of how comfotable/awkward it all is but I guess they've worked it out whatever they do.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  8. dingleborder

Apr 14, 2019
    From her social media posts, interviews, etc. it sounds like Billie was very close with her mother, and is very supportive of what they're doing with her role in the film. I'm sure she's willing to do whatever she can to do something awesome to honor her mom's legacy. It would've been so easy for her to sit the film out and quietly approve it. But no, she's actively involved in the process. If it were me, I would do whatever it takes to honor my mom properly.

9. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    They simply meant that Carrie as Leia would not be fully recreated digitally like Tarkin was for Rogue One.

Of course some CGI will be used in order to get Carrie's outtakes from TFA and TLJ to fit seamlessly into newly shot footage for IX, and thats perfectly respectful as much as it is necessary to get real Carrie performances into the movie.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  10. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    Nothing to add that hasn’t been said. But the above photo of her addressing her troops... I love this small detail Fisher always did as Leia... notice her hands in a slightly raised clenched fist. She did this in Star Wars and Return of the Jedi. It’s just a small detail that I always loved.

11. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, hope they repurpose that scene for something here, even if they do have to digitally mix up the background to indicate it's somewhere else. Generally I don't love that greenscreen background look (hate it even), but this'd be a situation where there's a good reason for doing it. Just try to be as sparing with it as possible and make it blend as best you can with the physical/practical look of the rest of the movie.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Her addressing the Resistance is likely something that can be easily repurposed, perhaps with some slight dialogue changes. This could even be the lead up to the Warhammer scene - which I hope they use. I simply think anything with Carrie shouldn't go to waste. I'd happily buy an extended edition of TFA with all the cut scenes featuring Carrie, if they're not going to be used in ROS.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They're going to re-purpose scenes of her character from The Blues Brothers into this film, to show what happens to Kylo Ren and his followers.

14. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Kylo gets shot with an RPG, eh?

Sinrebirth and Django Fett like this.
  15. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    "I hate Iridonian Nazis."

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I can't wait to see the Fanboys footage and how they use it.

17. dingleborder

Apr 14, 2019
    Depends on the background. Sometimes a green screen is used to insert a background or location from a practical set, not always a CGI creation.

18. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Well, yeah, but it always looks a little off even then. That being said, I wouldn't mind it here. Every-other blockbuster you see nowadays uses greenscreen background for stuff they could have just shot on location, so whatever, using it for an actual good reason like repurposing previous footage they've shot of Carrie I wouldn't mind one bit. That's what the tech's supposed to be for, stuff like that, not just "we shot the movie in L.A. but there's a scene in Paris so let's just throw some stock footage on a greenscreen behind the actors" type of thing. A little prequels-esque digitalness is more than tolerable to me if it's a practical necessity to make use of some Carrie stuff. Even then, the tech's come a long way in recent years so it'd look better anyway.

The-Clone-Wars likes this.
  19. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    At this stage and because of real life, I don’t really care what it looks like if it means as getting as much Carrie Fisher in the film as possible as closely to the original intended story arc. I’ll be pretty forgiving of CGI even if it looks like those prequel films. Just give me badass Leia, and a lot of it please.

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The scene of Leia and Rey from the TROS trailer does seem to have a pretty fake-looking background, but I imagine they’ll be improving that for release.

21. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Honestly, my lizard-brain didn't even notice any background alteration in that trailer shot. Odds are they did probably mix it up, the rational part of your head knows that but it didn't even really occur to me while watching it. Obviously hard to tell from a two-second quick-cut shot, could look worse in the actual film, but if the trailer's a legit indication of how it looks it'll be more than fine. I'd rather they do it than just have to cast the previous Carrie footage to the void and no use it.

22. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    Regardless, I hope they selected scenes that fit the narrative. Just honour the story and Carrie at the same time. Hopefully, they will be able to make it look convincing. Also, I hope they don't use already cut shots that are all over social media and the net. Find that would be a little jarring and take you out of the movie. Fingers crossed it works out well.

23. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    So, really, it's all about Kylo? Doesn't matter if Leia gets to see the Republic she sweated blood and was tortured over restored because it's all about Darth Emo. Because that seems to be every post in this thread - how is she going to deal with her son. I hope it's at the end of the Skywalker saber.

24. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    They've treated the OT cast as rather ancillary in my opinion. Kylo's ultimate fate in this final chapter is of course important, as he might be the last of the bloodline, but I'm honestly more interested in how Leia's story ends. I'd much rather see her character help restore the Republic than only help to redeem her son - the story should be more encompassing and resolve galactic events outside of the family drama as well. Without Carrie, it might prove rather difficult to tell the story they may have once intended. I do think the widespread acceptance of this episode among fandom depends on how they treat the character of Leia though, considering Han & Luke are gone. I'm honestly hoping we see them all together, even in a flashback, to correct that omission in the previous ST movies.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So many RPG's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.