main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Intentionally or unintentionally Leia would have easily had the most screen time of the OT cast across the new trilogy with her biggest individual role slotted for the last movie according to Trevorrow and Kennedy, however Fisher's death makes that a harder prospect now. I think ninewheels0 just counts whenever he sees someone on-screen talking or not with a stop-watch (I presume using the phone app; ninewheels0 has also done the entire Marvel CU and other TV shows). I did the same for TFA years ago with similar results but my methodology was more meticulous and I counted characters even if only part of them were on-screen, but I did not count them when they were inside vehicles and you couldn't see them like the exterior of the Millennium Falcon or a TIE Fighter flying around.

[​IMG]
    Star Wars screen time by minutes
    Star Wars screen time by percentages
    Star Wars screen time by averages

Atollon_Dweller likes this.
  2. Semoog

Semoog Jedi Padawan

May 4, 2019
  3. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Really cool shot of her there.

That environment really doesn't feel like Endor, pretty confident that shot's probably early in the movie, whether that's Yavin or somewhere new.

4. dingleborder

dingleborder Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2019
    Utterly incredible. If you didn’t known she’d been gone for 2.5 years, you really would think that was shot yesterday.

5. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    JJ in the article confirmed my suspicions. Whole new scenes are being built around her dialogue. This is not about green screen. The new footage of the other actors, including Billie, is being light to match her original footage. Than she is being added to the new footage with real sets.

Atollon_Dweller and Bor Mullet like this.
  6. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Fantastic - that image looks like something out of the concept art for the ST. Each new glimpse of Carrie makes me more eager to see this movie.

7. dingleborder

dingleborder Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2019
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...are-scenes-with-her-late-mother-carrie-fisher
    After reading this, I just have to say, God bless Billie Lourd. She's incredible for doing this.

8. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    That’s amazing.

9. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I wish I could like this post more than once...

10. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    This news of Carrie and her inclusion in the film bring tears to my eyes and I would love to see it but at this point in time the film doesn't hold enough interest in the story for me to get excited for the first time in my life.

11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    On the one hand, I'm sad that TROS is inherently compromised to some extent because of Fisher's passing, but I'm also happy that Abrams found a way to include her in the narrative that hopefully feels seamless. It wouldn't have felt right to pursue any other option.

12. Avilos

Sep 9, 2002
    Currently Carrie’s IMDb filmography lists her in “Rise of Skywalker” under archive footage, not on her main list of films as an actress.

How does everyone feel about that? Normally that is used for recycled footage that already has been seen before. Her role in this new film obviously was shot before her death it’s almost completely unseen to the public. Her last credited role is a film called “Wonderwell” which has not even been released yet.

It’s not a big deal but I think it should be under her main filmography. Maybe closer to release it will be.

13. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Just an observation here, but I wonder what exactly the reasoning is for having Leia usually dressed in dark colors in the current trilogy, when in the original trilogy she was usually in light colors? I guess it could be that she is in mourning, but she easily could have been in the original trilogy as well with the loss of her home planet and family. Maybe it could symbolize that Leia is no longer the tireless symbol of hope that she used to be, or maybe it doesn't symbolize anything at all and the design people just thought she looked better in dark colors.

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That kind of adversity and ingenuity also often leads to better art. The kind that wasn’t planned, but wrought from complications and the need to develop imaginative solutions. Hopefully that will contribute to a less polished or mainstream edge to the film. Give it some that ANH charm.

15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
  16. Avilos

Sep 9, 2002
    The tragedy of this all being necessary is beyond words. That Carrie and Leia can live on in this new movie though speaks to the magic of movie making.

I always had conflicted feelings about JJ. I do not love or hate him. Some of his ideas I like or others not so much. But if he can pull this off I have the deepest respect for him. I was glad he returned to direct this, if for no other reason, he worked with Carrie. It’s his footage that is being used from TFA. I do not think anyone had better knowledge to backward build this new puzzle than him.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  17. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    I imagine it was a practical reason from a costume design perspective. Leia is a super hero size zero and find a way to make Fisher as svelte as possible.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  18. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Think they've done any CG touchups on her face there, differentiate her a tiny bit from the original TFA footage? *Shrugs* Hard to say in the low-res, does maybe look like there's a little really-minor tinkering or whatever. Obviously nothing to the Rogue One level.

19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'd say this is more a case of finding the best solution out of a tragic circumstance. While I'm very thankful that the filmmakers found a seemingly miraculous solution to include her in TROS, I will always be curious as to what her fully intended role for the film was.

20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Hair looks a little greyer.

IlhamKamaruddin and Avilos like this.
  21. Avilos

Sep 9, 2002
    I noticed the added grey hair right away too.

It makes sense. This movie takes place after TLJ, rumored up to a year later. This was originally footage from TFA. They need to respectable and subtly show the passage of time. I imagine any changes were passed before Billie for approval first.

As others already said. Billie is such a strong women. It’s obvious she got it from her Mom. I never doubted she could be that strong. But I was worrried us fans were presuming she would do things to service this movie that are not our right to judge one way or the other. If she had decided to not do this I hope most of us would have respected her decision.

JJ saying that Billie touches hands with her Mother he obviously means her character. Confirming a Leia hand and/or body double.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    teamhansolo and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  22. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    I wonder just how hard it's going to be for me to keep my focus in the story when she first appears on screen. Knowing she's passed is definitely be a bit of a distraction at first. I just don't know if it will just be a brief moment of reflection, or a constantly consuming thought throughout the movie.

teamhansolo likes this.
  23. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    It was Trevorrow, so I didn't expect much. Bless his heart.

24. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    What was Trevorrow?

Sounds like before Carrie passed she was always meant to be a part of the third movie. So, predating Trevorrow, probably even Abrams.

25. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    There does seem to be more grey, her eyes look darker, and shes almost grimacing in the image above, giving her slight jowls - so she absolutely looks older. I'm not sure how to feel about it either, hopefully the low resolution image is the issue. If a year has gone by, I don't think she'd age significantly. I prefer she stay youthful, and grow stronger in the Force for this final installment.

As for the scene with Billie, holding hands, they could repurpose the Lupita (Maz) scene without having to use a double. Its also possible they have additional Korr Sella scenes which they could edit as well. To me, it sounds like JJ left a good deal of material on the cutting room floor, so hopefully they have options that don't require the use of a body double constantly.

teamhansolo and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.