main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Cash - an elegant means of payment for a more civilised age.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Aug 29, 2017.

?

If there were only one of these two choices to pay for stuff, which would you prefer?

1. Cash

48.6%
  2. Card

51.4%
  1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The thing about cash is that you're probably not the only one who has touched it. It's toxic and bacteria-ridden, probably more than mildly radioactive. It's been colluding with the Russians. It doesn't have your best interests at heart. It spreads rumors about you, some of which are true.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Think about how many people handle your card each day.... it's no cleaner than cash,

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The average lifespan (time spent in circulation) of most US bills is about five years. They're touched by many different people during that time, often by multiple people per day. There's no way anyone has a credit or debit card that has been touched by that many people, especially since many places you swipe it yourself.

Anyway, for small purchases cash is fine, but generally I always use a credit card for convenience.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Lick your credit card.... I dare you.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Basically zero for me since the payment is done through either tapping or using my PIN. :p

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The other day I went to buy a space cake at the local coffeeshop, really one of the only places left where they just take cash. The customer before me was a super filthy homeless dude. I got his change.

Harps, does this happen with your card?

Ender Sai and EHT like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nobody touches my watch. [face_whistling]

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    A while ago I decided to simplify, and eliminated all need to cash or cards.

Being a professional shoplifter really is a wonderful thing.

harpua and DarthIntegral like this.
  9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

*touch* *runs away*[face_beatup]

Master_Lok and Sarge like this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No, but I frequently hand my card to cashiers who likely don't wash their hands after wiping their cracks.

SuperWatto likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I don't get charged for doing that here. I think that's an American thing.

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    The more I thought about it, the more I'd probably pick cash. Using cash, I know exactly how much I'm spending, it easy to loose track of when just handing a card over, as experienced from how my ex spent money. Also, easier to put a limit on things. When I go to a convention I want to buy everything, and by deciding to use cash I can set a better limit. Even when I use a card, say in a restaurant, I will not tip via a card. Cash only. Cards can come in handy, but so can cash.

As to the cleanliness debate of card vs cash, cashiers also handle everything you buy anyway, as does the stocker in a store, the bagger as well and who knows where their hands have been. Just wash your hands.

Edit: as to being charge when using the debit card, it's only recent, this year, but yes looking for a different bank, though probably a credit union instead.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    They're not evading tax. They're offshoring profits by treating them as repaid loans to a company domiciled usually in the Republic of Ireland, where they pay 15% tax on them.

Pls get it right.

Except it's England, where they have industrial relations laws.

SuperWatto - more #Americentrism.

Same!

I mean, it can't do what yours can, but...

EDIT: @Healer_Leona, there is also the fact that tapping for payment treats it as a credit transaction, meaning it won't register as being a debit until the merchant posts the transaction to Visa/MasterCard. Meaning strictly speaking, your cash balance is not always, in real time, correct. That's also worth bearing in mind.

SuperWatto likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Mine tastes of ketamine

DarthPhilosopher and Harpua like this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Took you 2 years to find that out.

Darth Punk and harpua like this.
  16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The only good reason to use cash is to help the merchant avoid the credit card companies extorting fees from them for every transaction.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, I've heard awful things about AmEx. I've never used it.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I cannot for the life of me work out why anyone would use an Amex card.

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

I'm talking about the cash I carry on me. It is most exact.

Ender Sai and Juliet316 like this.
  21. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    The only reason anyone I know has an Amex is because Amex teams up with various professional bodies like Law Societies and offers its members 'pre-approved' cards. So for example when law graduates leave Uni and get their first jobs they are issued with a practicing certificate and an invitation to join the Law Society. You pretty much just sign an extra form with the membership application and you receive a pre-approved Amex card with your certificate of membership. Most graduates in their first jobs earn sweet **** all so a pre-approved Amex credit card is like a gift. Until you use it and get arse ****** by all of the fees. Amex is quite evil.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    They're all evil.

23. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Been running into more and more cashless situations.

I understood during COVID...but it is time to return to cash.

A farmers market should not forbid transactions in cash. No one peddling veg from the back of an old truck with out of state plates needs to swipe my card information into their phone.

Deciding to go to a high school football game should not require me to establish an account with a ticketmaster-like service.

Heck...even car repair shops, who will let you pay by cash or check, still want a credit card on file.

Life was easier when cash was king.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    it's taken me 3 years to get a paper bank statement .