main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Andor Official "Andor" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Outsourced, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    If you're gonna post here, you have to be open to the possibility that you could be challenged at any point in time. As long as that's all done constructively, it's good, but nonconstructive responses like yours don't do anything but cause trouble.

So maybe instead of talking back at someone, try reasoning, and maybe you'll come out better from the experience. Otherwise we're gonna have a bad time. Concern trolling is a thing, and we don't want to go down that road. :)

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Depends on the story. But a spy thriller, like a police procedural, can have a lot of longevity due to the complicated and interesting mysteries it presents. So I could see 5-7 seasons happening, if it’s a hit. Or even 8.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think 5-6 seasons is usually the sweet spot for most shows. After that things tend to go down in quality.

CISMestizo likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    yeah loook at GOT. altough it started downhill since season 4.

5. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    5 seasons - would that be 5 years of work? - each season the same length as the first Mando season. I hope it doesn't go into high time-investment territory so that the storytelling s tighter, has the serialisation feel, and makes it far more accessible for a re-watch. Just like Mando.

Intrigue and paranoia are front and centre with this one (at least, I hope) if it is or eventually becomes a spy/saboteur/freedom fighter story.

If Cassian has a (rumoured) sister this could add a personal element as to why he does what he does. She doesn't need to die. In fact, if she survives into Rogue One, that'd add to his tragedy.

He also has that line about "being in the fight since he was six" (paraphrasing) which could be used to "fill some of the gap" in Jyn's story (i.e., the "time-jump" from being collected by Saw to imprisonment on Wobani) which would add to their similarities and recognition of each other in Rogue One.

Maybe more seasons if there's an overarching...arc but I hope the stories aren't all about the Death Star. A final lead in to Rogue One would be ok.

Hmmm... The more I think about this series, the more I talk myself into thinking it could be really exciting. High hopes now. Even with no news. :)

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d strongly argue that GoT suffered from a rushed conclusion, not an extended one. An extra season or two would’ve likely made Dany’s progression/ digression much more organic, for example. There is no sweet spot. It just depends on the story being told. The only rule should be “take as much time as needed to tell a good and believable story.” That could take one season, or it could take six or eight. Or whatever.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Strilo and El_Machete12 like this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Isn't The Walking Dead on, like, season 49 or something? When shows go on for too long, I do tend to zone out. That's why I will always prefer feature films as a medium. I like the one-off aspect of films. Some TV shows just demand too much from the viewer. I don't know, maybe I have commitment issues. :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    11 i think it's as horrible as it began only worse.

Krueger likes this.
  9. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    I do like limited series', though. Or whatever they're called. Just small shows with a few episodes that basically tell a complete story and call it a day. I guess I like them because they're more like films. Thrilled that the Obi-Wan series will be like that. I thought Watchmen was brilliant. And even though I did love GOT, even I felt it went on for too long. I liked the new Creepshow, too.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, shows like Breaking Bad, The Americans, Better Call Saul that tell a single story over a limited number of seasons are far better IMO than things like The Walking Dead that drag on forever and start to become bland and uninteresting. I think it’s far more likely The Mandalorian and Cassian will the former not the latter.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Probably the same as the Mandalorian so 5 seasons

12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed with the single story preference, as that can keep things from getting too flabby. But within that single story, the ethic should be to tell a good story, not to aim for a numerical sweet spot. I’ve seen brilliant shows, like “Show Me a Hero” and “The Night Of” pull that off in just one season. But then I’ve seen shows like Game of Thrones that should have had 10 seasons, instead of 8, to tell that story better. So it really just depends on the nature and style of a story. Some benefit from marinating for a long while, and others are stir-fries. And yes, I did just use that terrible cooking analogy. And I‘m not going to apologize.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  13. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Still look upon Rogue One as a mistake on Disney's part.
    It was a good movie but just because the main cast wasn't expected to survive that doesn't mean they shouldn't have.
    Remember there is a sequel potential as mentioned in ROTJ with how many bothans died providing this information that turned out to be deliberately leaked.
    I still look upon Rogue One as the Guns of Navarone and still wish they'd plan for their own Force Ten from Navarone!

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No way. Rogue One is a nearly perfect movie, and everyone dying heroically is central to that perfection.

Aah Fisto, EHT, fizzbin and 2 others like this.
  15. Hopeless

Oct 28, 2006
    I disagree but that's the point we see things differently.
    It was better than Solo but far from perfect.
    I'd rate it under the OT but amongst the Prequel Trilogy certainly not beneath them.
    Anyway until they release a trailer you never know they might be able to pull off a few seasons with this despite this.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    Killing off the main protagonists in RO was the right thing to do, IMO. Obviously, yes, in the real world we all know why none of those characters are in ANH. But in-universe would have been more problematic, I think, and would have created a ton of questions. I mean, wouldn't have Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor been central to destroying the Death Star after having stolen the plans? IMO, it just wouldn't have made sense if they survived. Plus, I genuinely think it makes RO all the more powerful and stronger to have had them sacrifice themselves at the end (not just Jyn and Cassian, but all the characters). Killing them all off was the way to go, IMO, for a number of reasons.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Bor Mullet and Sudooku like this.
  17. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    I wouldn't bat an eye if a season ended with a lead-in to Rogue One, and then another season is announced and it's revealed that Jyn and Cassian survived the blast because of [reasons]

Hopeless likes this.
  18. Hopeless

Oct 28, 2006
    This I would love to see happen despite most appear to not understand why they have a higher chance of survival than Captain Phasma did being locked in that disposal chute within a soon to be blowing up Ilum Base.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  19. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    I would not be astounded, if it would had but two seasons only, see Resistance. But with an inclusion of many other popular side characters in respective arcs you could come to five seasons easily.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Cassian is nothing like resistance tough.

21. Hopeless

Oct 28, 2006
    Good.
    I thought that series was a shame.
    Liked the way they established the other pilots being involved in contests inbetween missions.
    I'm more inclined to compare this with Star Wars Rebels except no Jedi involved so we can learn what Tarkin meant when he said the Lothal Rebels being disinclined towards violence unlike the other rebel cells.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Strilo likes this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    This is the adult version of rebels like Rogue One. Where we see the brutal side of the rebellion.

lovethedarkside, Sudooku and Hopeless like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    There is absolutely zero way they survived. We literally watched them be incinerated. What are you basing this “higher chance of survival” on?

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    In the split second when the Death Star blast begins to envelop Cassian and Jyn, we cut away before we heard Admiral Raddus bellow "I say we LIVE!" and swept in and retrieved them.

25. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I thought Resistance was absolute garbage. I much prefer something like Rebels without Jedi, etc. I'd like tone more like Rogue One.