main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Casting call!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Mastadge, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    This thread is to cast your favorite SFF characters -- or to discuss casting choices.

For example, while Christopher Reeve is the best Superman to date, I think Phyllis Coates from the old Adventures of Superman show is still the best Lois Lane.

Which Batman is your favorite so far?

Who should play Wonder Woman?

And don't limit it to comics? Would you have cast LotR characters differently? etc. . .

2. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    While I think Teri Hatcher did a decent job in Lois and Clark, I will always see Margot Kidder in that role, from the movies.

3. LadyWhilla

LadyWhilla Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    I liked Christian Bale the best as Batman.

For the LOTR trilogy I can't think of anyone else in any of the roles. Jackson did a great job of casting for those movies. Although if Alec Guinness were alive I think he'd have made a good Gandalf as well.

4. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    the original casting for ganaldf was none other than james bond, that is right, sean connery, he was also offered the role of morpheus in The Matrix movies. He turned them both down because he said he did not understnd them

5. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I for one am glad he turned them down - he's one of my all time favorite actors but those would have been strange roles for him IMHO.

6. Ace_Venom

Ace_Venom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    Sounds like someone's got a limited imagination. o_O

I thought Christian Bale was a good Batman. I really don't know who would make a decent Wonder Woman. But I will say that Ben Affleck was not good for Daredevil.

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I saw Kelsey Grammer done up as Beast in a promo still from X3, and I thought he really looked the part.

8. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I saw him too. I guess Beast in the real world is a little odd. [face_plain]

Since they've (sort of) adapted Miller's Batman Year One to film for Batman Begins, it seems only natural to plan on doing his masterpiece The Dark Knight Returns. Shocking as it may be, I think an older, grayer, bulkier Michael Keaton would be perfect.

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    So I really, really want Nadia Bjorlin formerly from Days of our Lives should be the next Wonderwoman. The girl is drop dead gorgeous (she's 1/2 Swedish and 1/2 Persian) and she's very talented. She's tall and very athletic. She's also a relatively unknown actress (other than to soap opera fans) and could be hired CHEAP. She's also a trained opera singer and should've been the one that they hired for Christine in Phantom of the Opera but that's another problem entirely...

She's mid-20's and looks very mature for her age and would perfectly follow the footsteps of Lynda Carter.

Here's a couple pictures of her:

[image=http://www.days-sites.com/photos/bjorlin10.jpg]

My idea of what she might look like as Wonderwoman...gotta love Lynda's 70's hair :p

[image=http://webzoom.freewebs.com/padmeleiajaina/Artwork/Nadia%20as%20Wonderwoman.jpg]

10. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Christian Bale was a good Batman, but I really really like Batman Forever. I'm a Val Kilmer fan. His role in Spartan is probably one of my fav movies of his though.

11. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I love Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and Patrick Stewart as Prof X in the X-Men movies.

12. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Wonder Woman - Morena Baccarin, hands down.

13. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Individually, best casting of late has to be Christian Bale as Batman. I think he managed to make a lot of people take Batman seriously again after the previous one.

On the other hand, the best ensemble cast in a sci-fi movie I've yet seen has to be the X-Men. Of the major players in X1&2 I don't think a single one of them could've been bettered. Hugh Jackman, IanMcKellen, Patrick Stewart and Halle Berry in the same film? Added to which, in X2 the guys playing Iceman and Pyro really come into their own, and they're great. I can't wait to see the new additions for X3.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    And to think people hated that Jackman was cast as Wolverine because he was too tall!

15. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I like the X-Men movies and I think that Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellan did great jobs, but the others I think were only passable. I don't think Halle Berry, Famke Janssan or James Marsden owned their roles or brought their characters to life. They did well enough, but you could replace them with other people and it wouldn't be a big loss.

16. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Yeah, those characters were definitely support, so the actors didn't have much chance to own the roles. Professor X wasn't in it that much, but who else on the planet could play him other than Patrick Stewart. His male-pattern baldness makes him a shoe-in. (is that how that phrase is spelled? Or is it shoo-in?)

For LOTR, the only change I'd make is having all four hobbits the same age. Isn't Samwise supposed to be considerably older than Frodo?

17. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Patrick Stewart is Professor Xavier. It's that simple. There isn't anyone else in the proper age bracket with the look, or the sci-fi chops to pull it off. I wouldn't have gone with Ian McKellen for Magneto though. I would have gone with someone like Connery, or maybe Burt Reynolds, but the fact of the matter is that there isn't really anyone in the proper age bracket to play him.

And I understand the arguement against Jackman for Wolvie. Wolverine, as a short guy, has something about him that connects with a lot of people. He's a perpetual underdog, even when he's the obvious smart bet.

18. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Actually, Frodo is the oldest of the four.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I was kind of put off at first with him as Magneto, primarily because of his smaller size, but let's face it, there really isn't any one who looks like the Magneto of the comics. McKellen pulled off the role brilliantly though and to go a bit off topic, I didn't mind that much the change of Magneto being a Holocaust survivor. It gave the character a clear motivation to hate humans and act the way he did (and gave McKellen far more to work with than most of the actors, with the exception of Anna Paquin did). You could see from his POV that he saw the same thing happening in the present as had appened in WWII and was determined not to let that happen. In doing so, he inadvertently became what he hated by trying to perform the very same actions that scarred him: Exterminating an entire race.

Okay let's move on from that long - winded paragraph. :)

As for Jackman, yeah I heard those arguments too when X - Men first came out. I do think however that Jackman captured the essence of the Wolverine character, which was brooding, sarcastic, and violent with an unflagging loyalty to somebody once he deems them worthy of his trust as he did with Rogue(and to some extent, Xavier) in the first film. The film version may not necessarily be the underdog anymore, but the essence of the character is still there thanks to Jackman's protrayal.

Which once again proves a point: Minor changes in casting pre - established characters (especially from book/comic to TV) can be forgivable if they keep the essence of the character and/or add an extra dimension to the character (Michael Clark Duncan's Kingpin in Daredevil). Jackman proved that in X-Men.

20. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    As far as I'm concerned, the Batman characters are more or less owned by the actors who played them in "Batman-TAS" (not to be confused with the current series). The show featured a great combination of character design, scripting and voice acting.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Caesar Romero, but Mark Hamill utterly nailed the Joker character.

21. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    You know who has the potential for a great Batman: The Dark Knight Returns?

Harrison Ford.

Perfect role, considering where he's at in his career.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Maybe I know a little too much about comics sometimes but when I heard some guy named Hugh Jackman would play Wolverine I thought, "Ok, is he 5'3" tall and very muscular?" No, but when he first sat at the bar after the cage fight, lit up a cigar and placed on elbow on the bar I thought, "OMG, now that is Wolverine." It was perfect. I wondered what they would do with the hair, toning it down a bit was fine.

23. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    If for some reason a young Dooku was needed for a TV series, I think Andy Garcia (like the Ocean's 11/12 version) would be pretty good.

[image=http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/995/andy8004ko.jpg]

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Leonardo DiCaprio should have been Anakin. :)

25. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    you knwo what, I tend to agree, it is easy to put him down, but he really is one of the best actors in hollywood

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.