main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Niagara, ON *** Celebration 3 ***

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Woofer, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    I'm just wondering if there are any plans in the works for either FanForce Canada going in together for a block of rooms or other get together events planned?

2. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    YoungJediNiagra where are you guys planning on staying?

We are still thinking of the hotel right across the street from the con (can't remember the name). It will be more $, but...it's right across the street.

I'm just wondering if there are any plans in the works for either FanForce Canada going in together for a block of rooms or other get together events planned?

I know John (Woofer) wants to get as many as possible in/on the sam floor of a hotel, but with the number of people going it may be hard to plan for other than a big push for people to stay at one place and get them to pay asap on their own.

As far as "events"...
    One evening will be the FanForce Party for Chapters Globally.
    Plus I'd like to do a Canada only gathering (maybe rent another hall at the hotel?).
    (and then for Mike, Seb, and myself... the RSA's/GSA's may get together for a dinner somewhere)

3. Jedi_Squire

Jedi_Squire Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002
    I will be going for sure. However, I am not sure what days I will be there due to the fact that I am not sure what my schedule will be. Worst case, I can only be there for the Sat and Sun. Best case, all of the days.
    I do think that getting the hotel right across the street is the best way to go. $ or convenience? I pick convenience.

4. DaDarth

DaDarth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    The one across the street from the Con is the Westin. It is more money but I really don't want to deal with the traffic and i guess they have a sky tunnel that connects right to the Con. It will be so much fun with out the pain of traveling in each day...

5. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Great! So we already have some cool Canadians staying at the same hotel we are! Awesome!! :)

6. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    WOOHOO!! :D Just booked our room. One less thing for me to worry about. Looks like the Westin will be the place to stay this Celebration!!!

7. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Ok, since no one responded to my question I take that as a no.

So....what do you have to do to book a room?

8. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    Justin, there are some from the club that want to get together and share a room and save money. If I understood correctly, John was one. I am sure some other "students" feel the same. Unfortunately for some, Celebration is a far ways away and they don't know where they will be at that time. Lots of people want to go, but whether or not they can is a different story. You need someone with a credit card to reserve a room and then arrange with people to share the room and split the price. You can see by reading the thread all the people who are interested. Don't know if that helps or not.

9. legoman

legoman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 14, 2002
    I am definitely going, and would like to share a room to save some money.

10. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    The $ facts:

I'm assuming most of you are looking to spend around $40 (USD) max per night. If you are looking to stay at the Weston you are looking at 5-6 people per room.

Prices may differ due to beds and avalibility.

11. SamwiseGamgee

SamwiseGamgee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Gah the prices are looking deadly but I dont want to miss this for anything...looks like I am back to sleeping on the park bench. Anyone wish to join me? :p

12. DaDarth

DaDarth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I wonder if they will have a C3 exclusive Mini Bust?

13. Jedi_Squire

Jedi_Squire Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002
    Steph and I were both saying the other night that we both plan to go, which days we will be able to attend is still up in the air. However, we do not mind sharing the room with 5+ people. We know that we will not be in the room much anyway, so why spend a fortune to get a private room.

14. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Hey I don't mind flooring it! Or a bed rotation....is there a legal limit to how many can stay in a room...as in can we cheat a little or no?

So about 160 USD the whole time? Thats not Horribly bad!

Are we taking a bus down still? I think its a good idea...that or a Large van or two.

I really am looking forward to this...I hope I can afford it :)

15. SamwiseGamgee

Oct 25, 2003
    heh if i can get a space in a room for about 50 bucks i will sleep in the shower if necesary. I just want to go.

16. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Sorry James, I already called the Bath tub 8-}

I am planning to go to this, But I think Debby got it right on, Right now I am still a stundent, There is no way for me to be certain where I will be April 2005. Right now all I know is that if all goes according to plan, I will graduate next Decemeber and Certified to work sometime next January, Which does give me a few months to find a decent Job and save up enough money to go, Assuming my parents aren't pushing me out the door by this point ;)

The only costs that I can see for myself personally, will be for the transportation, Gas Money? Food, and also paying for the room, and I am definately up for sharing a room with others, In order to bring down the cost of this trip, and therefore making it more do-able :)

17. SamwiseGamgee

Oct 25, 2003
    Sorry James, I already called the Bath tub

Your point being? [face_mischief]

18. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Crash space should be easily available

If you go with the attitude that the room is where you store your stuff and grab a few hours of sleep then having say 6 people in a room is not a big deal.

Bring sleeping bags is all.

I'm going to wait a bit on the room myself. The block rates haven't been set yet, and according to the reports Hyperspace/Official Fan Club members should be getting a better rate than that even.

Yes it is good to think ahead and start to budget now, but its not like you need the money next week. The earliest they'll be announcing the block rates will be in May probably, so by then all the hotels that are participating in the special rate packages will be set up by then.

As far as early planning goes, I think I'll send in my membership to the fan club and Hyperspace now so that when they do announce the prices that part will be secure.

19. SamwiseGamgee

Oct 25, 2003
    Just as long as I am not paying like $250 a night like some are talking. I would love to sleep in a tight cramped corner as long as i get to go.

20. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Hey, why even bother renting mulitiple rooms? We can all learn to sleep standing up 8-}

21. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Well lets say the room rate is $160/night (which is what I believe was the priciest rate for C2)

Now if you put 4 people in the room, that works out $40/night per person, min stay would be 3 nights (Thursday, Friday and Saturday night) so $120 in total for the room per person.

That will be probably the largest expense of the whole trip.

Of course you can do the math based on 6 people, and I was aiming at the higher end of the room rate scale as well.

Basically if you can budget the room expense the rest should be fairly easy.

22. SamwiseGamgee

Oct 25, 2003
    Transportation is another issue I have become concerned about. What is the plan with that? I have heard down the grape vine that there is talk of a bus.

23. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Well I assume I'll be driving down myself, its not as far as Atlanta at least.

I think as far as getting a large capacity van that depends on the numbers of people showing an interest.

Heck, maybe Chris can borrow a tractor/trailer and we can do up the inside all nice with couches and TVs!! :p

24. SamwiseGamgee

Oct 25, 2003
    Well currently I am trying to talk pepper into this. He is reluctant because of the price but wants to go, due to the fandom, which surprised me. If so then I may be able to talk him into taking the not-so-big red machine done which means we may be able to fit one, possibly two more people in. Have to see though...its a little far away from then.

25. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Its well over a year away still. I'm not sure why everyone is so excited about it this early.

I wish we had more excitement about events happening this year. Look at the Calendar post. There are lots of local conventions and a potential charity event plus we'll have the release of the original trilogy on DVD this fall.

If you want to get excited about stuff, why not spend some of the energy on something a bit sooner and more local?

A lot of the C3 details are stil not finalized by the organizers. Heck its the people running GenCon, they have a large convention in Indy they need to run this year still before even they can get really serious about C3 I bet.

Its nice to see the interest and all, but apart from thinking budget and some general ideas about rooms and transportation, we don't need to confirm everything right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.