main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration III EU News

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    I believe that there are going to be some major announcements made at C3 in regards to the EU, post NJO series title, etc...

The panel with LFL / Del Rey is most likely happening right now... just wanted to start a thread where people can post news as it happens...

2. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I was just wondering when we were gonna start hearing some good juicy EU info from C3!

3. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    We should have news within the hour, fingers crossed. Plus Tim Zahn is speaking about the Outbound Flight novel tomorrow.

4. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I'm looking foreward to it.

5. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/C3_Continuity_Panel_for_EU_91612.asp

The Continuity panel at Celebration 3 just concluded. In attendance were Timothy Zahn, Leland Chee from LFL, Sue Rostini, Shelly Shapiro, Troy Denning, Aaron Allston, Pablo Hidalgo, and Dan Wallace. The most interesting piece of news from it was the title of Troy Denning's novel set between Episodes 3 and 4 - Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. They also mentioned the upcoming Coruscant Knights books. Though there are 3 books, it is not considered a trilogy. They mentioned that there are currently no plans for a book covering the Rise of Palpatine though there are two books left that are unassigned. There are 2 Old Republic books coming, one of which will be set 1000 years before the Battle of Yavin. It will cover the life of Darth Bane from childhood up to the comics. There are no current plans for a short story anthology though everyone seems to want to do one. There are also no Clone Wars era material in the works besides Darh Horses' Clone Wars Advantures #4. Pablo Hidalgo is working on another webstrip as well as Paul Ens and Tom Hodges. Timothy Zahn and Mike Stackpole are wanting to do a story detailing "The Reenlistment of Baron Fel", but no licensee is interested yet. Zahn also would like to do a story with a teenage Ben Skywalker. Zahn mentioned that he's doing a post-ANH novel featuring Mara Jade as the Emperor's Hand and Luke in pre-Jedi Knight mode. (The two don't meet.) More to come!

6. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Interesting that there doesn't appear to be anything planned that charts the rise of the rebellion between ROTS and ANH. Perhaps this is covered in the TV series?

7. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    The most interesting piece of news from it was the title of Troy Denning's novel set between Episodes 3 and 4 - Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

That's neither news nor Denning's book. :confused:

Hopefully, the "New Star Wars Novel Series" panel (about post-NJO stuff) currently going on now will actually yield more than two new pieces of information....

8. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    That's what I was thinking, it's the Wookie killer's book, not Dennings.

9. Kreuzader

Apr 23, 2002
    That report seems disjointed - there will probably be one at the official site soon with additional info and clarification.

Here's the blurb from Lucas about the TV series:

Not the first question, but probably the one most anticipated by fans was about the future of Star Wars on television. "You know we're doing a pilot television series now called Clone Wars," said Lucas. "Well we're going to take that and turn it into a 3-D animated version full series." Lucas described the episodes as being 30 minutes in length.

"We're also working on a spin-off series," he added, "with some characters who have appeared before that will be a live action series. We're probably not going to start that for about a year. Like on The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, we want to write all the stories for the entire first season all at once. I'm going to get it started, and hire the show runners and all of that, then I'll probably step away." Even host Jay Laga'aia had a hard time concentrating after that news.

Elaborating on the television series' setting in the chronology of the saga, Lucas explained that the idea currently in development takes place between Episodes III and IV. "There's none of the main characters from I, II, and III (or IV, V and VI for that matter) in the..." he stopped in mid-sentence. "Well, actually, that's not exactly true now that I think about it. We haven't really started the TV show, so it's hard to answer. There's a lot of issues that are connected, but you won't necessarily see a lot of the people that are connected."

A fan asked the chances of exploring the KOTOR-era Jedi or the origins of the Sith on TV, and Lucas stated that if the television projects are successful, he would examine the possibility of moving elsewhere in the saga.

10. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    Those new tidbits are excellent. Thanks for posting them! :D

So, am I to take it that Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader is different to Luceno's story with the same half-title? It seems that they are different, which causes me to wonder why the same title will have been used twice. This is the part where Excellence comes in and adds another "Dark" title to the ever-growing list...

I'm looking forward to the Darth Bane book, and I'm sure that the Sith fans are happy about it, too. Coruscant Nights should be decent, if it's anything like MedStar, and Zahn's post-ANH story should be...well, interesting.

As there has been no new information on the post-NJO books, my skepticism has yet to be dispelled.

11. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    As there has been no new information on the post-NJO books, my skepticism has yet to be dispelled.

The "Continuity" panel took place an hour or two before a post-NJO-specific panel. I expect news soonish. :)

12. Kreuzader

Apr 23, 2002
    Ta-da

A panel recently closed at Celebration 3 which revealed details on the new post-NJO book series. In attendance were Aaron Allston, Sue Rostini, Karen Traviss, Leland Chee, Shelly Shapiro, and Troy Denning.

The title of the series was announced as being "Legacy of the Force". The era will be referred to as the "Legacy Era". The first book in the series by Aaron Allston will be entitled "Betrayal". There will be a hardback followed by two paperbacks, then that's repeated through the 9 books. The first is due in June 2006 with the others to follow every 3 months. The books will feature conflict stemming from "planetary interests that threaten peace" and Luke will be plagued by visions of "approaching darkness". Much of it will take place in the Outlands. The book covers a 2 - 3 year span and the main characters will be in their 60s which the authors referred to as "the new 40s".

Returning characters will include all the majors plus Tenel Ka, Wedge, Saba, and the female Sith from the Marvel comics. Hobbie, Tycho, and Corran Horn will also have roles. It was also hinted that Anakin may return as a Force ghost. The biggest surprise was that Boba Fett and the new Mandalorians will play a major role in the series. Karen Traviss' book seems to be the one he will be most prominent in. Also look for new characters along the way as well as the heroes being in constant jeopardy. (They dodged questions on if there were more major character deaths.) The "New Jedi" from the previous books will now appear as "maturing Jedi" in their 20's. Also look for the mystery of Vergere to be resolved and a "cicrle" with the prequel era.

The authors and editors dodged questions on if the Sith will reemerge, if we'll se Ben piloting a strange starfighter (ala Luke's vision), or if Jacen has a romance. They said they are forbidden from covering the Whills or Yoda's race by mandate from Lucas. There are also no current plans for more Solo children. With the story still being written, they haven't decided if there will be an Imperial presence in the book. The authors also revealed that they had their first meeting on the series in November and have been corresponding closely on the plot ever since.

A few other items of interest emerged. Troy Denning revealed that Kyle Katarn has a role in Dark Nest as well as the Chiss. Raynar will reappear in the book as well. He's just been MIA, not dead. You will also see the rebuilding of Coruscant and the restoration of the government in this book. Denning also resolves Leia's status as a Jedi.

13. TogashiAikune

TogashiAikune Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2004
    Oh god this is the worst news I've heard today Zhan and his Mary Sue together again. And worse he'll probably work in some way to include his other Mary Sue Thrawn.

14. TogashiAikune

TogashiAikune Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2004
    Yes, Yes, YES!!!! Lumiya and Kyle finally getting there due and appearing novels!!! This makes up for that Zahn tidbit. Thank you Vishnu.

15. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Dark Lady Lumiya and an Allston hardcover! Wizard! =P~

16. TwiLeksRokMySox

TwiLeksRokMySox Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2004
    Where's Excellence to say those two will never appear in novels?

I, personally, am elated, shocked, and awe-struck. This just keeps getting better and better. Lumiya...finally getting what that character deserves: exposure to the masses.

17. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
  18. Mike-Sunrider

Mike-Sunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2003
    Meh Lumiya. A female rip-off from Vader :(.

19. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Lumiya's back! [face_dancing]

But I see no mention of Danni, but Tenel Ka is mentioned. That plus them avoiding the "does Jacen have a romance?" questions gives me a bad feeling. :(

20. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    King Jacen of Hapes :D

21. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    The term "Mary Sue" should really, really be banned from this site.

Anyway, hopefully they'll give Lumiya a new outfit. She looks pretty stupid in her current incarnation.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    HOLY ****. I never thought they'd bring Lumiya back. :eek:

23. Talz

Talz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Answers about Vergere! YAY!

24. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    King Jacen of Hapes

[face_sick] Dear God no!!!!!

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think Jacen would be one to accept such a position.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.