main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration V rumors by Steve Sansweet

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by pwinklespi, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Try this. The company that is going to run Celebration Japan is out of Texas. I think this is a test run to see how they do and if successful, Lucas lets them tackle CV.
    I personally want them to have a Celebration every other year in the U.S, I'm already having CIV withdraws.

2. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    Echo is back...Nice to see you back on this board...lol

I agree completely, the sudden urge to stand in long lines for Star Wars something, is weigh heavily on my shoulders. I always feel, each year, that I need some sorta Star Wars fix...lol.

I imagine in a couple months we will hear a more solid answer. But, my ear is to the floor, listening for the sudden stamper of AT-AT's moving into a different city.

Celebration V....I love the sound of it...lets make it real....NOW!!!

3. JayTee_Erricck

JayTee_Erricck Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    I loved both the Celebrations I went to (C3 & C4). Granted, C3 had certain things against it like the biting cold, rain AND many of us fans stood in line in all that but, still, I had a grand ole time. [And it was my FIRST Celebration!] To me, the positives easily outweighed the few negatives (in my humble opinion, at least).

I made some great friends at C3 - fellow Star Wars fans, of course - who I still keep in touch with to this very day. Same for C4 (even though it wasn't that long ago).

I, too, look forward to the Celebrations & experience withdrawals. Perhaps, however, I speak for the poor people set. The round trip flight, hotel stay (even shared) & other expenses really add up. [I made a costume for C3, then another for C4. Even if I DIDN'T make a new costume for each Celebration, it'd STILL be a pricey event.]

Three (3) years in between Celebrations is a welcome time-period for me since it gives me time to recuperate financially & prep once again for the big event.

Just my two credits.

May the Force be with us.

Jay Tee Erricck
    http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com

4. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Sounds good, Jay :).

I think they just want to stick to the "every two years" format. When you think about it, three years in between anything is a long time :).

My take, and this is definitely a personal one, is that we are losing beloved SW actors all the time (man, how I miss Michael Sheard. What a true English gentleman). The longer between conventions, the higher the risk that someone I'd really like to see will be gone. I know that something like that can happen in a day at any time, but still...

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    *pops in*
    But it was three years between teh movies - we lived!

I hope they make some serious rumblings soon as I'd need to find ways to cover my shift (yeah, we have to bid for our vacation time or find people to cover and my few floating hols are precious.)

I'd also have to decide on whether I wanted to get positive space on a flight or what (most likely).

6. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    But maybe not those actors I was speaking of.... [face_worried]

Well, at least now that Steve has mentioned what's in the works, hopefully we'll have some firm answers soon.

7. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Thanks
    I missed you guys too. I'll be around for a wile [:D]

8. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    Another Indiana Star Wars fan! Nice to know there is some out there!

9. NabooPop

NabooPop Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2000
    Howdy all, have been away for too long.

I dunno Grumpy, much as I'd like it to be close by for me, the thought of having to tote a light saber and a submachine gun doesn't appeal to me. :(

Seriously, for all the folks unfamiliar with it, Baltimore has the highest crime rate in the country and I would worry about all the SW fans from lower-crime places who aren't used to it wandering into bad parts of town.

10. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah... the city isn't a fun place anymore, is it? I still manage to get down there once and awhile though. The Inner Harbor is nice. Pwinklespi and his wife came down last summer and we went to a comic convention. I yelled at his wife.. it was pretty funny. I'm sure he'll reply with a recap. He certainly brings it up whenever he can. LOL! I'm not sure the convention center in Baltimore would be large enough. It's not terribly small but I don't recall there being conventions there of that size. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd also be concerned about number of hotels. There are only about 5 or 6 big ones that I'm aware of and a few of those are quite expensive.

11. NabooPop

Jun 19, 2000
    My other thought was Washington DC since there are the Smithsonian museums and all the other stuff down on the Mall for folks to check out if they haven't visited before. But DC is almost as bad was Bawlmer, crime-wise.

12. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Hi, NP!

Yeah, re Baltimore's center, you're probably right about TPTB being concerned about the crime issues.

Size-wise, the DC convention center is great, but the location is probably a concern. And by location I mean just its being way out on the east coast. Ditto for Baltimore. But either one would be fine with me.

13. NabooPop

Jun 19, 2000
    I've been to C2, C3 and C4 and to be honest, I'd have to rate C4 in LA the best even though it was furthest away for me. Rooms were available and for reasonable rates (at least considering the location) there were multiple airports to fly in and out of (one advantage Washington would have BTW, with Dulles, Reagan National and BWI) and of course the weather was perfect.

And BTW I never got a chance to say "thanks" for the great job you did here providing advice and help to all those who sought it in the months and days leading up to Celebration IV. Pat yourself on the back!! That's another difficulty with Baltimore - the Maryland FF has struggled despite the valiant efforts of the few active members.

14. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I long for the day when the title of this thread gets updated from "rumors" to "official". ;)

- Justin

15. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I think DC is terribly confusing to get around. You'd think it would be easy but I've gone down there a ton of times for various concerts and I've almost always gotten lost.... and you don't want to get lost in certain areas of DC. LOL. Then again, I'm a little slow when it comes to directions so maybe it's just me. Baltimore is easy enough to navigate your way around in.

16. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Midwest or East Coast would be really good for me, especially if they do it in New York or DC.

17. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Gotta love NYC... I'd be up for that. So many things to do there too... and some great places to eat!!!

18. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    The best thing that I took from the Sansweet quotes was the fact that he would like to have a Celebration year in and year out (both international and domestic).

It has always been a "fear" of mine that the Celebrations would end after C6 if you follow the "one Celebration per movie" line of thinking.

But based on the growing attendance numbers, and Sansweet's (and a cast of others) willingness to help coordinate future Celebrations, I think I can finally put that fear to rest.

And that puts a HUGE smile on my face. :)

- Justin

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    2009 seems almost absurdly soon, given that it's still just rumors and I believe we were hearing definite news about C4 at this time in 2006. But, if it's true, awesome.

20. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Yeah, I distictly remember hearing the official confirmation, and then waiting around for a while before we could make hotel reservations - which could be made no earlier than a year in advance.

21. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I just went back through this board, and the date for C-IV was officially "confirmed" (that is, people were posting "yippee" posts LOL) as of May 26, 2006. I took over as the mod about two weeks later, so yeah, we are pretty much right on schedule for offical news for C-V in 2009 :).

22. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Wasn't someone saying, that CV, if held in 2009, would be in the fall and not in the spring/early summer?! If so, then thee is plenty of time to make the announcement.

Coming from Europe, I hope it will be in a city with lots of other stuff to experience as well.
    L.A. was great for this. I was there with 4 friends and we were there for 2 weeks seeing three themeparks and some of the city as well.
    I hope to be back for CV but I also hope for an interesting place to do some sightseeing.
    Nothing bad said, but some citys are more interesting for sightseeing than others, I am just hoping for one of the more interesting.[face_dancing]

23. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000

My biggest plausible one (since I doubt Ewan would ever come) is Frank Oz. I would SO love to meet that man.

24. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Agree 110%, Miana. Meeting the man behind everyone's favorite "little green friend" would be a true gem indeed.

My wife absolutely LOVES Yoda, and to have the opportunity to meet Mr. Oz would be the top highlight of her C5 experience.

- Justin

25. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    No, can't say I've read this anywhere. It's always been held in the Spring, around the time that the movies opened, give or take a couple of weeks. I can't see them switching dates, unless TPTB really have their hearts set on a particular convention center, and there are no free dates until later in the year. But it would be a big surprise to see this happen. And if it's in the fall, that would really impact the school year - not that it doesn't at the moment, of course :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.