main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Chandrila Surprise (post-NJO / Jaina, Jacen, Jag, et al / Holiday Fanfic Contest) COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Lex, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Title: Chandrila Surprise
    Author: Darth_Lex
    Timeframe: post-NJO (two years after TUF)
    Characters: The Solos, the Skywalkers, and the Fels
    Genre: Drama, Humor
    Notes: three-part short story for Winter Holiday Fan Fiction Contest
    Keywords: NJO, J/J
    Summary: Two years after the peace with the Yuuzhan Vong, the Solo twins arrive at Chandrila for a holiday family gathering. Each bears a secret ? will they be revealed?

Disclaimer: Lucasfilm owns all the rights to Star Wars. I don?t. No infringement is intended or profit to be made by me.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

** Chandrila Surprise is now in the TFN Fan Fiction Archive! You can find it here. :cool:

** Chandrila Surprise won Best Canon Story (Beyond the Saga) in the Summer 2004 Fan Fiction Awards. Thank you to everyone who voted for me! :D

Spoiler Warning: This story takes places two years after the final NJO book, The Unifying Force, and therefore includes some brief references to the way the series concluded in that tome. If you haven?t read TUF yet, then those would be spoilers for you.

Author?s Note: For my entry in the Winter Holiday Fan Fiction Contest I decided to go outside my usual patterns ? both by writing a canon story rather than an AU :eek: and by taking a crack at characters I don?t normally write. ;) All the credit goes to TKL and Red for instigating me to try my hand at Jaina and Jag and the rest. The story benefited from a very helpful beta-read by TKL, the true master of these characters ? Thanks! :D

The story has three parts, the first of which is posted below. Hope you enjoy it.

Chandrila Surprise

Part One

The candle in the window could be seen in the distance, a beacon of warmth and welcome to the weary travelers. Trudging through the shin-deep snow, the twenty-three year old woman rubbed her gloved hands over her face in a fruitless attempt to bring some feeling back to her frozen skin. The small rented villa still looked to be awfully far away up the sloping hill. ?Let?s walk, you said. It?ll be fun, you said. It won?t be so bad, you said.?

Her dark-haired, green-eyed companion reached out and patted the top of her head through the thick hood of her parka. ?I?m sorry. I thought we should stretch our legs after being cramped up in the shuttle for so long. I did not realize it was this cold.?

She swatted the patronizing gesture away. ?Uh huh. Right.?

?Really,? he insisted. ?I?m sorry.?

?You?re just enjoying watching me suffer.?

?No,? he said. ?It was an honest mistake. I had no idea northern Chandrila was anything like Csilla or Hoth. If I had, I never would have asked you to do this.?

?Yeah, well, it?s not really your fault, I guess. I suggested we meet at the Gold Beaches on Corellia. Nice and warm. But does anyone ever listen to me? Nooooo.?

He took her hand in his. ?You know your father is still not completely comfortable returning there.?

?I know. My point is,? she grumbled, ?just because this was a winter holiday back on Alderaan three decades ago doesn?t give my mother the right to freeze us to death. It just doesn?t.?

?Of course not, sweetheart,? he said. ?But you know this will mean so much to her, to have her whole family together for a few days. It?s been too long. Let her make some new, happy memories.?

She shot him a stern glare, her brown eyes flickering in indignation. ?Do you have to be right all the time??

The corners of his mouth curled up into the tiniest of smiles. ?It will be good to see your brother,? he said, ignoring her question completely. ?And I know my mother is very excited to see you again.?

With a gr

2. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    First reply! WOOHOO!

Of course you are welcome for the aid of my red pen! ;)

I really have to say this ranks right up there as one of my all time faves. [face_love] (Of course, I cheat because I know the end! :D )

Your handle on Jag and Jaina are right on, and Jacen - well you seem to have mastered him.

Love the title - BTW!

So your tempting to the dark side is complete I fear. You will never be the same for it...

Oh and one part, my dear friend ----->

She shot him a stern glare, her brown eyes flickering in indignation. ?Do you have to be right all the time??

Of course as beta I can't comment on stuff like this, but you know my opinion on this matter. THEWOMANISALWAYSRIGHT! :p

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Bwaahhhahhahahh! Loved the surprise as to who Jacen was with at the end of the first post! :D

Great bantering w/ the twins and their mates. Good to know even after the hell of the Vong that they still know how to bedevil and annoy everyone else around them :p

Great start! :D

4. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    WOW!!!! Lex what a suprise :D I never expected this ;) Great post :) People with talent will write everything :) ( that's why I wrote one letter so far :p )

Waiting for tomorrows post :)

5. Reesie

Reesie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    Ooh nice. I need new stuff like this so I can feign working.

6. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    I love it! [face_love] Awesome! Thank you, dear Lexie. More flowers for you. [face_love]

I'm still getting caught up on a lot of missed posts, but I just had to respond to this one.

Jag and Jaina are perfect. :D

That's J/J all right. :D

With a great act of will she swallowed her anger at his tender condescension. ?So, should we tell them??

He blinked, then patted his free hand on his hip. ?I have my blaster.?

?Set to stun, I hope.?

He paused. ?It is now.?

She smirked. ?My father isn?t that bad!?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Perfect!

And Jacen - ?I suppose I do need to improve my sense of humor.?
    Haaa!!! [face_laugh]

Great stuff! You're now officially an NJO writer, dude. :p

More! More! More! [demanding-voice] ;)

7. -Trickster-

-Trickster- Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 2003
    Oh my, this story rocks! I can't wait until the next post! Hrm...if this thing is still open, I might have to scramble and write my own story for this contesty thing. *contemplates* Oh, and I must concure with TKL- The woman is always right. ;) Great story though!

8. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    This is awesome Lex!!! :D I really love your portrayal of the characters so far! [face_love] Hmm... wonder what they have to tell.

*agrees with -Trickster-* If this thing is still open I might give it a stab... sounds like some fun! :)

9. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    He paused. ?It is now.?

:D [face_devil] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

I'll chime in and add to the compliments on character mastering! Looks like another treasure to add to my favorites :)

I love it Lex!! Eagerly awaiting the next two parts!

10. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I love it!

11. Zara_Rose

Zara_Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Grape kool-aid for Lexie! Hear, hear! I'll keep reading.

12. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Great Job!!!!! i love it!!!

uppidety

13. Jags_Scoundrel

Jags_Scoundrel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2003
    Lex, what can I say except: LOVED IT!! The banter between both couples had me giggling and snickering the whole way through. Can't wait for the rest! :D

14. Darth_Lex

Nov 17, 2002
    Nothing like some great feedback to make the new guy in these parts feel welcome. ;) Thanks for reading, everyone.

TKL: Thanks again for the great beta, my friend! :D Your handle on Jag and Jaina are right on Nothing to say to that other than - [face_blush] So your tempting to the dark side is complete I fear. ?It is your destiny. Join me and together we will rule the Beyond the Saga Forum!? :p THEWOMANISALWAYSRIGHT! :eek: Are you challenging Jag?s masculinity? [face_laugh]
    PLJ: Loved the surprise as to who Jacen was with at the end of the first post! Thanks! I thought that might draw some people in. ;) Jacen?s musings on the subject are to come? Good to know even after the hell of the Vong that they still know how to bedevil and annoy everyone else around them Exactly! I wouldn?t have written them otherwise. But that have that irrepressible Solo humor that I love. :)
    Chimpo: I never expected this You?re welcome. :cool: Thank TKL and Red; they?re the ones who hassled me into writing this. :p
    Reesie: Ooh nice. Thanks! :) Hope the distraction was enjoyable.
    Red: More flowers for you. Thank you. Such high praise from a student of these characters is very humbling. Jag and Jaina are perfect. :eek: [face_blush] Wow. Thanks. Perfect! Poor Han. Everyone always picks on him. Hero of the Rebellion reduced to this? :p You're now officially an NJO writer, dude. I guess I am, huh?
    -Trickster-: Oh my, this story rocks! I can't wait until the next post! Thanks for reading, and I?m glad you liked it. :)
    J&J: I really love your portrayal of the characters so far! Thanks! :) They?ve been a lot of fun to write. Hmm... wonder what they have to tell. You?ll find out in the next two parts, I promise. :cool:
    Shinar: Hee hee! That was one of my favorite lines too. [face_mischief] Looks like another treasure to add to my favorites Uh oh. *gazes anxiously at raised bar* Hope I can meet your expectations! :D
    Jedi_Liz: Thanks! :)
    Zara: Glad you liked it! :D Mmm, grape Kool-Aid? Mmmm?. ;)
    JAGSGURL: Thanks! ;)
    Jags_Scoundrel: what can I say except: LOVED IT!! Works for me! [face_blush] ;) The banter between both couples had me giggling and snickering the whole way through. I haven?t been writing much humor lately in my fics, so this was a very welcome change for me. Glad you liked it.

Part Two will be posted tomorrow afternoon.

15. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    Lexie!! :D

It is now. LOL [face_laugh]

The banter was great for both couples. And I had a feeling you were going to suprise us with Tahiri (yea!!! [face-grin] You all know how I feel about Danni & Jacen. ) I can't wait to see how this developes! And it looks like I won't have to wait long. :D

16. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Great job.

?Let?s walk, you said. It?ll be fun, you said. It won?t be so bad, you said.?

?just because this was a winter holiday back on Alderaan three decades ago doesn?t give my mother the right to freeze us to death. It just doesn?t.?

I love it! It's funny and happy and no one is dying! (Not that I'm complaining about HAD, which is indescribably wonderful).

You know, if you're trying to ruin my education, you're most definitely succeeding. 'Cause you know what I'm supposed to be doing right now? Writing a script for my screenwriting class and an essay for one of my other classes. Cripes. At least I get to go home for holiday break on Friday. And I'll have you know I set my alarm a half hour earlier so I have time to read your post tomorrow.

17. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Are you challenging Jag?s masculinity?

Um honey, you know the answer to that question :p

18. Darth_Lex

Nov 17, 2002
    TahiriSoloFan: And I had a feeling you were going to suprise us with Tahiri I know this wasn't the Solo you had in mind for her, though... ;) You all know how I feel about Danni & Jacen. Ah, yes. The wet noodle. Her name appears in the next post, BTW. Just so you know. :p
    karebear214: It's funny and happy and no one is dying! I know! Isn't it shocking? [face_laugh] You know, if you're trying to ruin my education, you're most definitely succeeding. [Monty_Burns] Excellent... [/Monty_Burns] :p Have a good holiday breat!
    TKL: ;)

Next post up momentarily!

19. Darth_Lex

Nov 17, 2002

Chandrila Surprise

Part Two

After an enthusiastic round of happy greetings the family finally took their seats at the long table. The soothing aromas of the scented candles tickled Jaina?s nostrils as she sat down between Jag and Mara. Luke and Ben were across from Soontir, Syal, and Wyn Fel, while Jacen and Tahiri had places opposite she and Jag. Jaina chuckled when she realized Leia had taken the chair at the far end, putting Han closer to her ? apparently playing the odds that her father would be better behaved with Jag than Soontir. Not such a bad idea, in theory.

Leia raised her goblet of wine. ?It has been thirty-two years since I lost the only family I?d ever known,? she said with an undeniable tone of sorrow in her voice, ?and found the beginnings of my own. These moments when we can all be together are rare for us now ? so I thank you from the bottom of my heart for joining us here, in memory of Solstice Day on Alderaan and as we build a bigger family for all of us.?

Soontir raised his glass next. ?To those we love,? he said simply, ?whom we miss each day.?

Jaina reached beneath the table and squeezed Jag?s hand, and he squeezed back. It was difficult to believe it had been almost seven years since Chewie?s death, nearly five since Anakin?s, and similar lengths of time since the loss of Jag?s siblings. She set her glass of water down and clasped her hands in front of her on the table. She was just about to say something when her father preempted her.

?Okay, enough melodrama for one day,? Han said. ?Look, I know it?s tough to get us all together like this ? the fact that we haven?t been able to do it since the wedding speaks for itself. But even if it?s only once a year, I think we should keep doing this.?

?I?d like that,? Luke nodded from Jaina?s left, next to his sister. ?I?d like that a lot.?

?We all would,? Syal added with a smile. ?It?s a tradition we can all look forward to.?

?Speaking of the wedding,? Wyn Fel put in from her spot next to Jacen, ?you never did tell us how you convinced Jaina to marry you so soon, Jag. I think it?s about time you confessed the truth.?

?I don?t think so, Wyn,? Jag chuckled. ?Nice try.?

?Why not, Jagged?? asked Syal with a mischievous grin. ?What is there to hide??

Jag took a long drink of wine from his goblet ? and didn?t say a word.

?You know, I?ve been wondering the same thing myself,? said Mara slyly from Jaina?s side. ?Tell us, Jag. Please??

Jag sighed deeply. ?I?m not going to be able to get out of this, am I??

?No,? said Wyn, Syal, Mara, Leia, Tahiri, and Jaina simultaneously.

?I?ll admit it wasn?t an original tactic,? he finally said after another long drink of wine. ?Sorry, Father, but I borrowed a Rebel strategy.?

Soontir bolted upright in his chair. ?You didn?t!?

?Why do I get the feeling,? Han muttered under his breath with a scowl, ?that I?ve just been insulted??

?Not at all,? Jag said smoothly. ?In fact, it was your classic maneuver that finally worked. I simply offered Jaina a choice. She could marry me without a fight, or she could spend some time getting to know the indigenous flora and fauna of Dathomir until she capitulated.?

Leia laughed. ?You can?t be serious!?

?Oh, he?s completely serious,? Jaina laughed too. ?Stuncuffs, a couple of ysalamiri, and a destroyed comlink can be quite effective at putting a stark choice to a person.?

?Jacen deserves part of the credit,? Jag said quietly. ?I don?t know if she would have listened only to me.?

---

Jacen felt the gaze of everyone at the table fall on him ? and smiled innocently. ?What??

Luke raised his eyebrows. ?Is that why you borrowed the Jade Shadow? You said it was for a rescue mission.?

?It was. From a certain point of view,? Jacen smirked. ?I was rescuing my sister from herself.?

?Right,? his twin scoffed. ?The only reason I needed rescuing was because you were an accomplice in my kidnapping.?

?Wait a second,? Mara interrupted

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Grumbles and grouses...

Damn that was fantastic. You certainly know how to pack in details and rip out your readers hearts at the same time.

Loved Han's lines. Jag and Jaina were funny too, but I really loved your characterization of wounded Jacen. I think you just shined on bringing him to life.

So if J/J are married, what is their surprise? [face_mischief] [face_mischief]

(Wahhhhhhhhhhh! ;) )

21. Zara_Rose

Zara_Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I'm not exactly a supporter of Jacen/Tahiri, but your writing is very good. I'm intrigued to see how you'll finish it off tomorrow. Melikes!

22. Jags_Scoundrel

Jags_Scoundrel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2003
    Lex, brilliant, once again!

?Not at all,? Jag said smoothly. ?In fact, it was your classic maneuver that finally worked. I simply offered Jaina a choice. She could marry me without a fight, or she could spend some time getting to know the indigenous flora and fauna of Dathomir until she capitulated.?

?Oh, he?s completely serious,? Jaina laughed too. ?Stuncuffs, a couple of ysalamiri, and a destroyed comlink can be quite effective at putting a stark choice to a person.?

Now there's a fic that's just begging to be written! (Hint, hint!)

Already looking forward to post #3!

23. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

GREAT SIMPLY GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Great post! :D

[face_laugh] Jag was pulling a Han! [face_laugh]

Loved how you showed why Jacen and Tahiri together... sometimes I just wonder but I really like the way you write them together. [face_love]

25. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Nice!

Yes, Mom. Really. I?m fine. Look, I?m eating. See??

Ahh, the holidays, that wonderful time of year when all your relatives stuff you full of food. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.