main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Cheerleaders in sport

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jun 15, 2014.

?

Cheerleaders in sport

1. Yea

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Nay

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Jesus ****ing Christ, Al. You're on the shelf below bezeel and Ender Sai. Have a word with yourself.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't know how saying "Yes, I watch cheerleaders at games" turns into people telling me "you masturbate at public sporting events" and "It's like when soldiers used to rape comfort women" because I sure as hell wasn't the one who brought those topics up. Watching cheerleaders does not equal that.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just can't figure out what your argument it is. it seems to be either "objectification of women is okay because i like it" or "objectification of women is not okay but i like it". in either case not a very strong or well thought out position, and one that you're rightfully being taken to task for.

4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Objectifying women is objectifying women.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What tom said. You're too casually ok with it. You say that cheering is good, but honestly, are you also saying American fans are too stupid to know when to cheer unless a young lass yells at them? Do you laugh only when the laugh track in a sitcom says to laugh?

The biggest sporting events in the world draw cheers without a squad. And honestly, until you've been surrounded by tens of thousands of Brits singing "Swing low, sweet chariot" in harmony (that'll be your Welshmen carrying that tune then) you've never seen waht "atmosphere" is.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Because someone enjoys seeing cheerleaders at a game does not mean in any way, shape, or form, that they would endorse a horribly violent act like rape. It's jaw dropping people would go down that route. I cannot believe someone would actually toss around terms like that when you're talking about, "hey, the cheerleader is pretty and it kills time in between plays". And then that leads accusations of public masturbation and condoning the rape of comfort women. This is a thing that actually happened. How the hell does that work?

I'm not saying that at all. One of the things cheerleaders do is encourage the spectators to cheer. Cheering would go on with or without them. But if their actions cause more fans to cheer at the sporting event which in turn causes the team to win, that's a benefit to what the cheerleaders do.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    So do you think there should continue to be cheerleaders or not?

We understand there's a theoretical benefit. The players might also perform better on drugs, but we don't do that either.

Adam of Nuchtern and harpua like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Points to note:

1) That's an away game, on the other side of the world. The home team is in gold jerseys.
    2) There are no cheerleaders
    3) They won.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I would not be so presumptuous to say that I should decide if there should be cheerleaders or not at a sporting event. That's up to the people who run the event. I don't mind it and I think it does actually have a benefit to the sporting event in question. Some people hate it and think it has zero effect on the sporting event in question. I'm not offended by cheerleaders at a game. What's offensive is when people start saying if you condone it then you condone these other horrible things. It's an uncalled for personal attack.

I absolutely agree that winning can happen without cheerleaders. Never said it can't.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    An entire stadium sings an Oasis song, and you're telling me there's a single reason other than sexual gratification for cheerleaders to exist?

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yes, getting people to cheer. I don't believe that objectification is the sole function of cheerleaders, however, I do agree that it is a part of it. They also get people to cheer. They're cheerleaders. People and jobs can involve being more than one thing.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So if a bunch of fat blokes did it, you'd still cheer?

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    But.... do you agree that people would cheer whether they were there, or not?

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

You can cheer, but not commit acts of VIOLENT SESCHUAL VIOLENCE OF A SENSUAL NATURE.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yes. Cuz I'm cheering at the sporting event. And I can also cheer along, or be encouraged to cheer, by cheerleaders. Fat dudes or hot chicks, it doesn't matter. The cheerleaders are a part of the experience, not the defining, singular, only reason for the experience. An element. Added spice.

Yes, people will cheer without cheerleaders present. the pretty cheerleaders can also cause more cheering amongst the fans as well. But cheering for the team to win will exist with our without the presence of cheerleaders. But their addition can also be a positive to the outcome of the game by encouraging more cheering from the spectators.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Thanks for clarifying and being honest with me.

[​IMG]

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So... being that fans would cheer whether they were there, or not, do you concede that the additional cheering is aimed at the short skirts?

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's not specifically just cheering for the cheerleaders, although some might be doing that. You can cheer for both the cheerleaders and the sporting event. A proclamation of "Horray!" does not specifically cover one or the other.

I am not going to a sporting event specifically just to see cheerleaders. There's a game on as well.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So.... do you have any other recreational activities, aside from looking at wimmens?

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Why? Are you asking me out on a date?

21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    All I know is that when I go to Knicks games I'm more interested in snagging a free T-shirt than looking at the dancers.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    ARE YOU GAY @POINTS GIVENS?

I mean, there's WOMEN TO LOOK AT. And if you stare at their bewbs long enough YOU WILL CHEER MOAR.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Don't do that.

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Are these shirts shot out of cannons?

25. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yep, I have two so far.