main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Chewie and Leia...The aftermath???

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BrahmanBob, Dec 18, 2015.

1. FollowTheLight

FollowTheLight Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2015
    Agreed - first time I saw the film I thought if anything Chewie under-reacted, but second time I found his howl and Rey's scream extremely moving.

As regards the lack of 'a moment' between the two after their arrival back at base, I'm going with the theory that it would have been distressing for both of them and Leia, as the commanding officer, couldn't be seen in such an undignified condition in front of her troops. I'm sure Chewie loves her really and in time his life debt to Han will be transferred to Leia - can't see him ever forgiving Kylo though ... Kylo is a dead man walking if Chewie gets his hands on him

2. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Beside the fact Chewie was focused on getting Finn the help he needed I suspect that he blames himself more then Leia for Han's death and just could not face her.

3. GutWrench

GutWrench Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2015
    It was a WTF moment for sure. It actually blew my mind the second time I watched the film. Leia doesn't even know Rey at all and she goes straight to her for a hug. It's sloppy writing and directing for sure. I think the hug was done to keep people guessing Rey's liniage. The cost was huge tho as people are now going WTF? JJ will suffer for this forever unless it has a very good explanation in the next film.

4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Jeez, Chewbacca wasn't upset with Leia and blaming her. There can be a problem with them not encountering each other just for a particular shot, even though he was initially occupied with Finn. The shot showing him sitting by himself really showed the impact.

5. Airseven

Airseven Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2013
    Leia would have at least quivered her lips if her lip muscles were able to move. I also think she whimpered although it sounded like a mannish growl.

6. astinus4

astinus4 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    Were more scenes shot but edited out of the final cut? If the rumours of Carrie Fishers performance are true that could explain it

7. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Unkind. You'll get old someday too if you are lucky.

CairnsTony likes this.
  8. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    [face_laugh]

9. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Its no different than never seeing anyone go to the loo.

They consoled each other offscreen.,a simple enough explanation.

MattOrgana likes this.
  10. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I don't understand why we didn't see any interaction between them but by the same token, we, the audience, don't need to see every single interaction between everyone. That being said, I think Chewie was 1)Too overcome with grief to deal with it on a conscious level and 2)Wanted to make sure Finn got the medical help he needed if for no other reason then to make sure Han didn't die for nothing.

Or, you know, it could just be lousy screenwriting on the part of JJ and Kasdan.

11. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    To be fair, Chewie did try to kill her son. It would've been awkward.

SaintKenobi1322 likes this.
  12. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Chewie goes with that woman that called him "so brave" and was flirting with him... They live happily ever after.

13. Wolfgang187

Wolfgang187 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 8, 2002
    Watched it again for the 2nd time and for the second time, it remains my most hated moment in any Star Wars movie. Every time I hear Jar Jar now, I'll be able to say, "Star Wars gave me something dumber."

Even if Chewie isn't ready to talk or is actively mad at Leia, he could've waved her off if she approached and we would've got it. Its sure a lot better than both long time friends just walking right on by about a foot from each other with out so much as a nod.
    The best thing to do would've been to just remove Chewie from those few frames. Once you see him walk off the Falcon, you know where he is. No logic in showing him pass her without her even noticing.

14. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    No offense intended, but thanks for the laugh. Seriously if this dumber than JarJar to you, then most films must confound you.

15. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    We have no idea how the Han-Leia separation affected Chewie either.

Like in many cases, people often take the side of their friends during their friend's break-up or divorce. The more loyal and devoted the friend, the more irrational and steadfast their loyalty will be during the divorce.

And let's not forget Chewie didn't hesitate to shoot Han and Leia's son after he killed Han. Chewie aimed to kill too, Leia be damned.

Chewie could have a deep resentment toward Leia for years before we see them all reunite in TFA.

16. Wolfgang187

Wolfgang187 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 8, 2002
    They don't, its just an INSANE oversight

17. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Shrug, it makes perfect sense to me given the circumstances. It certainly doesn't rise to the level of insanity to me no matter how you look at it.

yodarulzall and CairnsTony like this.
  18. GutWrench

GutWrench Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2015
    In the novelisation it reads Chewy going with Fin all the way to the medical bay. Chewy is not mentioned again until he is inspecting the ship before he,Rey and R2 leave to find Luke. It's a hole in the plot, bad writing.

19. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    They marry and have puppies?

20. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Leia is closer to someone she barely knows, the curse of writing a Mary Sue character.

21. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/c...ast-will-return-for-eighth-film-a3139911.html

Does this mean anything? Is Han Solo going to return in flash backs or was he only meant to appear dead? Perhaps there's something larger inconspicuous
    going on. When Kylo stabs Solo , it almost looked like to me that they might of been communicating through the force. Maybe some how Han survived the fall. Kylo could have stopped his decent, and prevented him from splattering on the ground below if he really wanted.

Sologal likes this.
  22. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I think we are supposed to understand that Chewie was pre-occupied with getting Finn medical attention. However, having him pass right by Leia in the shot without any sort of look was a bit of an oversight. If they had framed it so we didn't get a good view of them crossing paths I don't think it would have been as strange...

Valairy Scot likes this.
  23. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    So the gist of what most of you are saying is: Chewie should've reacted when he saw Leia? A terse nod, or a small growl her way to show that he acknowledges that she's there? Just a quick one as he was currently trying to get help for Finn?

Just...something other than passing by each other like they've never met before?

Valairy Scot likes this.
  24. Airseven

Airseven Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2013
    Is it not enough to say that in the last 30 years, as Leia and Han grew apart, so too did Leia and Chewie? They may have no affection for each other. 30 years is a long time, so not sure why people are critiquing this from only the fanboy perspective.

25. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015

Well, Leia gave him a big hug the first time she saw him. So clearly there is some sort of affection there.

MattOrgana likes this.