main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chicago Cubs

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Strilo , Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Nice thread,very nice thread. :D

I've been a Cubs fan since I first began to think for myself. My family members are all Sox fans except for me, in fact my Mom got White Sox World Series champs T-shirts for my family and when she gave me mine, I said this is going straght into the drawer and it's never coming out:p

I'll say my favorite current Cubs player is Carlos Zambrano,yes his attitude isn't the best but he's an outstanding pitcher.

I've been to two Cubs games in my life, one at US Cellout Field and another at Wrigley,they won both of them.

I don't believe in curses I believe in excuses.The Tribune needs to sell the Cubs and the rumored buywers include Donald Trump and Mark Cuban who make George Steinbrenner look like he's carrying pennybacks.

I see the Cubs doing better this year. I see them being a play off contender for the first time since 03

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I knew you'd like this thread, Mike. :D

3. Shiva

Shiva Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2006
    I have to admit, I have been a Cub fan since the early 1970's! I've seen players like the Ruschel Brothers, Sutter, Mark Grace, and many others come and go, but no matter what, I still root for them. They are my team, and I love the friendly feud between them and the Cardinals (If anyone asks, I WILL deny that I said that!) LETS GO CUBS! And the people say, Chicago, Chicago, Chicago Cubs. Chicago, Chicago, Chicago Cubs. THE CHICAGO CUBS ARE ON THE AIR!

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's a great post! :D

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Surprised nobody's broken it in this thread yet, but sources say an 8 yr/135 mil deal between the Cubbies and Soriano is all but done.

Lou's first big sign, this'll make people happy.

Make that now "agreed to."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2668465

6. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Jimmy Hendry is on the right track,he's signed the right people. Now he needs to work to get more starting pitchers

7. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    I think that Hendry would like to promote more from within, or via trade, than free agency. And while Soreono would be a nice fit, its hard to find good quality starting pitching without giving up good young pitching in return!

8. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Though I live on the south side, I am a Cubs fan. Which is difficult because my best friend is a sox fan. Which in turn really sucked when they won the World Series. :mad:

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That makes me very happy. I think that's a good step myself. And I agree with drac. The Cubs now need to strengthen the bullpen.

10. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Tell me about it, It was like dying and going to hell....

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Sort of makes me glad I don't live in Chicago. :)

12. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Ex-Suns, Diamondbacks owner interested in Cubs
    November 22, 2006
    BY DAVE CARPENTER Associated Press

Add Phoenix sports executive Jerry Colangelo to the growing list of potential bidders for the Chicago Cubs if Tribune Co. puts his hometown baseball franchise up for sale.

Colangelo, chairman of the NBA's Phoenix Suns and former owner of both the Suns and baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, said Wednesday he has had preliminary discussions with unspecified other people who share his interest in buying the Cubs.

He declined to say whether he had spoken to Tribune Co. or the Cubs about his interest, but said ''you can speculate that.''

''If in fact the Cubs become available, and that's a big 'if,' I've stated that I would have great interest,'' he told The Associated Press. ''I'm just trying to keep my options open at this point, that's all.''

Colangelo said he had spoken with two different groups of prospective bidders. However, he added, ''I have my own interest, not necessarily tied to any particular group.''

The 67-year-old Colangelo grew up a Cubs fan in suburban Chicago Heights, Ill. A four-time NBA executive of the year and member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, he brought major-league baseball to Arizona in 1998 as managing general partner of the Diamondbacks, who won the World Series in 2001.

He told WSCR-AM on Tuesday that owning his hometown team would be ''quite an exciting possibility'' and would represent ''coming full circle.''

Tribune, under pressure from large shareholders disappointed with its sagging stock, has said it hopes to decide by year's end on a strategic overhaul that could include selling the entire company or certain assets. Those assets also include 11 newspapers, led by the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times, and about two dozen television stations.

Tribune has reportedly told buyers it would focus first on a possible sale of the entire company before the sale of individual pieces.

''I think everyone is awaiting what they decide to do,'' Colangelo said. ''What I've been advised is that may come down early in December.''

Tribune spokesman Gary Weitman declined comment.

Don Levin, a Chicago businessman who wants to buy the Cubs, said he believes after talking with the company last week that the Cubs aren't for sale ''right now.''

''The Tribune corporation would like to sell itself, and whoever buys it might sell some of the pieces,'' said Levin, owner of the Chicago Wolves minor-league hockey team. ''I remain firmly interested.''

Another prospective ownership group includes 15 investors, among them Tom Begel, chairman of Chicago-based TMB Industries.

Speculation that Tribune plans to sell the Cubs has intensified with the club's offseason spending spree, including agreeing with outfielder Alfonso Soriano this week on an eight-year contract for $136 million -- fifth-richest contract in the history of Major League Baseball.

Also, several reports have indicated that the company told bidders for the entire company that their initial offers were way too low.

Analysts have estimated that the Cubs could fetch $600 million or more. Tribune bought the team in 1981 for $20.5 million.

Shares in Tribune fell 13 cents to $32.34 in afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange. The stock traded above $50 as recently as 2004.

[face_praying] Please let this be true!

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    colangelo would make a great owner/operator for the cubs. i'd be thrilled to see him get the cubs, make them a winner and then flatten the diamondbacks at some point down the road. the current ownership group treated him like dirt.

he's highly tuned into the fans and he has a passion for both the game and for winning. the suns teams amassed one of the best overall records in basketball during his tenure as owner, and of course the diamondbacks won it all in 2001.

14. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    The only question I have is this: If the cubs are sould, will they remain in Chicago, or will they be sent to another city?

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    are you kidding?

there's as much chance of the cubs being moved as there is of the tampa bay devil rays winning the next ten world series.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I think the chances of the Cubs being moved are somewhere way 0%. Not going to happen.

If it did, it would just be wrong. Which is why it won't happen.

I'm still waiting to see if the Cubs make any other moves besides Soriano, because he'll help, but he won't be enough.

17. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    Well, don't forget that infielder/outfielder they got from Texas, and the reliever that they got from the White Sox. Its a start, but they still have a long way to go.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The Cubs are a legacy team. They would change cities just before the Yankees left New York.

19. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I hope billionaire and Mr Dallas MAvericks,Mark Cuban gets the team.

20. Go_White_Sox

Go_White_Sox Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2006
    Are the Cubs going to be good this year?

21. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    Its hard to tell. The catching department and the infield look solid. The outfield still needs to have at least one hole filled for the upcoming season. But the pitching is where the weaknesses are at. There are only 2 starters confirmed for next year, and even with the help of this new pitcher from the White Sox the bullpen needs to get organized. We shall have to see what moves are made during this stovetop season as well as once spring training gets started.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Considering the username... is this a trick question? What do you think the regulars of the Cubs thread are going to say?

23. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Your obviously looking to start trouble with that username in this thread.

24. Go_White_Sox

Go_White_Sox Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2006
    I mean no disrespect. It is just a simple question. :)

25. Saper

Saper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2006
    Youre a disgrace to your cousin. [face_plain]

:p

All I have to say to Cubs fans is one thing:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/Fettscape/Untitled-2copy.jpg]
    I'm so sorry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.