main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chicago Cubs

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Strilo , Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiva

Shiva Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2006
    Just remember, when Baker took over in his first season, the Cubs DID make the right moves and got within 5 outs of the World Series! MMIRACLES DO HAPPEN!

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    All right I'm sorry I sort of overreacted. Yeah I think the Cubs will do better this season,especially if the team stays healthy

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    For sure, injuries have plagued the team lately.

4. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    If Lee was healthy last year the team would have been a contender

5. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    I don't want to rub it in to you guys, but what must've sucked was having the Cubs wax the Cards in the season series this year and have the Cards win with such few wins overall. If the Cubs had a healthy Lee and a competent Wood & Prior, they could've made things interesting. :p

6. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    I hate to agree, but I must. Lack of decent pitching, both starting and relieving, killed the Cubs last year. Now, two of the starting spots are filled, and one bullpen spot has been filled. The question is, how healthy will the pitching be, and can they do the job needed to take the Cubs to the NLCS and beyond?

7. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    If the Cubs had a healthy Wood & Prior they wouldn't be the Cubs.

8. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    But take a look at what happened 3 years ago when both Wood and Prior were healthy! The Cubs came withing five outs of making the World Series. Now, Wood will be in the bullpen, and Prior hopefully will be in the rotation. If they can stay healthy, then the Cubs CAN contend! After all, look at the rest of the NL Central: Cardinals have to resign 80% of their starting rotation, Brewers and Reds have too many youngsters to make up their minds on where they want to go, and Houston may not have Pettite and Clements for all of next year, plus the fact that they are turning GREY! That leaves the Cubs with a decent shot at the NL Central title in 2007.

9. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    It'll be a three way battle between the Cubs/Cards/Astros. It looks like many will still put their money on the Cards but really a healthy Lee is as good as Pujols and Zambrano had a better record than Chris Carpenter. The key to a successful season for the Cubs is to have zero or minimal injuries and two more great starters. Rich Hill has shown he can rise to become something great, now we need at least two more SP's. The question I pose to Hendry is why not bring back Good ol # 31?

[image=http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAHA150_8x10-2006PitchingAction~Greg-Maddux-Posters.jpg]

We need to see ol Mad Dog back in Cubbie blue and not Dodger blue...

Really the Izturis/Maddux trade was one of the worst trades ever to occur in Cubs history

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    For sure. Maddux always was one of my faves.

11. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Looks as if Hendry is putting all of his energy in pursuing Blue Jays pitcher Ted Lily. Not a bad choice IMO. He's a left hander which is all ways good to have. The starting rotation seems to look like this...

Carlos Zambrano (Right Hander)
    Rich Hill (Left Hander)
    Wade Miller (Right Hander)

We need two more or else Mr. Glass part 2(Mark Prior) will have a place in the starting rotation

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Wait who is Hendry?

13. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    You've been away from Cubdom for a long time my friend...

Jim Hendry is the beloved and despised general manager of the Chicago Cubs.

14. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    Well, the Cubs won't get Maddux back, as he signed a deal with San Diego. BUT, they did get a solid lefty from Toronto who should help out in the Rotation. That gives them Zambrano, Hill, The newbie, and Miller. Should be a decent rotation.

15. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Yes but Miller is still a bit iffy because of that devasting injury and Prior is out of the question. Maddux signed with the Padres huh?

16. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    Word is that the Mad Dog signed with San Diego, because he has a home in that area, so it makes sense that when he is in SD, he can spend time there with his family. And word is that the Cubs are also looking for one more starting pitcher (Zito perhaps?) and another left handed bat as well.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well... neither I nor my mother have ever heard of this guy. But then neither of us pay attention to the business side of things as much. The players on the field and the manager and stuff. That's what I care about.

18. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Zito would be absolutely outstanding but he would be far too pricey IMO and Hendry spent most of his money. Out of the free agents left I would pursue the Rocket...

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Too bad. I am a Zito fan overall.

20. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005
    I can't believe Glavine and Lilly will be collecting the same salary in 2007. Even at 40 I'd take my chances with Glavine ten times out of ten. Lilly is a flaky, mediocre pitcher blessed for being a lefty.

21. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    If and when Clements comes back, he will probably pitch for Houston again. And while the new lefty may not be the greatest in the world, he WILL help out some of the younger pitchers. And you never know what move the Tribune company will come up with next.

22. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    I'm a life-long Cardinal fan (it was a great year) :) So I root for the Cardinals and whoever is playing the Cubs. That being said, I too love the rivalry between the two teams. I always make it to a couple of games a year at Busch when the Cubs are in town.

It's even better when I can get bleacher seats - the ribbing that goes back and forth is classic!

I've found that 99.9% of the Cubs fans that have come down to the games have been great, a lot of fun to share a cold one with!

I've never made it to a game a Wrigley, but it's on my "things to do before I die" list. That's great stadium.

If I make it up there this year, I'll post it here before coming. Maybe there's some Cubs fans that would like to meet up for a frosty one before the Cards hand your arses to you.

Sorry, couldn't resist a little smack talk for you Cubbies!

Oh yeah,

GO CARDS!!!!!

Take care!

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    *closes the door behind Shoey*

:p

24. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    Well, it looks like you can pretty much write off the Astros. Andy Pennat signed with the Yankees, and more than likely Clements will as well. So, it looks like the Cubs and the Birds for the Central title this year. GO CUBS!

25. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Yes it looks to be a two way battle but let us not completely throw out the Reds, Adam Dunn is still outstanding and he still poses some competition

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.