main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chicago Cubs

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Strilo , Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    All this talk of Zambrano leaving if he doen't get a better deal frightens me. Even with Hendry making outstanding moves this offseason I will forever hate him if he lets Big Z slip away. A little emotional? Yes but the Cubs haven't seen a pitcher as outstanding since Fergie Jenkins or a young Greg Maddux...

Zambrano is right in asking for more money especially since the overrated Zito got a 126 million dollar deal but he's doing this at the worst possible time. If it need be I say spend most of Hendry's 08 season spending money goes to keeping Zambrano a Cub.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Not a good time to ask, no, and it is a lot of money he's asking for... but given how the market's looking, he'll probably be worth it. Still, can the Cubs afford a deal like that? Especially after this past offseason?

3. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I see him getting a one year deal and renewing his contract midseason

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah for sure the Cubs cannot lose Zambrano. No way.

5. Shiva

Shiva Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2006
    There is NO WAYthat the Cubs can afford to loose Big Z! Get started on working out a deal with him right away! The sooner the better!

6. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Well Big Z has said he intends on staying with the Cubs so we can sleep easily.

In other news...

MESA, Ariz. -- The good news on the first day of workouts for Cubs pitchers and catchers Thursday was that Mark Prior and Wade Miller both threw off a mound. The bad news was that Kerry Wood was sidelined with an injury.
    Wood bruised his right side when he fell out of a hot tub at his home Monday night. He'll be sidelined four to five days. His ego was hurt more than his rib cage.

"I'm just getting ready for Spring Training, feeling good," Wood said. "I [got out of the tub] and landed on my stomach and my chest and didn't feel too good. It's that time of year for me."

Wood, limited to four starts last season because of shoulder problems, had been throwing well the last two months leading up to the start of camp. This was not how he wanted to start Spring Training.

"I've got six weeks to get ready," he said. "I feel like I need 2 1/2 [weeks]. I was ready to go. I'd like to show people I'm ready instead of getting ice packs and people asking me questions. I am ready to go, I will be ready to go."

Wood would've thrown on Friday at Fitch Park, but instead will be sidelined at least four days. Because of Wood's past rash of injuries, the headlines will likely be, "Here we go again."
    "Let's not get into that," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. "Things happen, that's all. That's why you have six weeks here. Things aren't done in one day or one week. We've got plenty of time to get these guys ready to play. What you want more than anything else is that everybody is healthy. If not, skip a day or two until you're ready to go."

Prior and Miller definitely looked healthy when they threw 30 pitches in the same group as Carlos Zambrano, Ted Lilly, Scott Eyre and Will Ohman. Both are coming off seasons in which they were hampered by injuries.

"They both threw the ball well, they really did," Piniella said of Prior and Miller. "It'd be like signing a couple more free agent pitchers [if they're ready]. These kids are good. Let's keep them throwing and keep them healthy and keep them working."

Damnit I hate Kerry Wood and his breakable body. Who wants to bet this sidelines him for a month or two...

[image=http://content.ytmnd.com/content/9/b/c/9bc6d5021b0ca5883c5a4bdfd691eb9a.jpg]

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    You know, I just saw "Kerry Wood injured getting out of a hot tub" and couldn't stop laughing.

It really is getting comical at this point.

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The bad news was that Kerry Wood was sidelined with an injury.
    Wood bruised his right side when he fell out of a hot tub at his home Monday night. He'll be sidelined four to five days. His ego was hurt more than his rib cage.

It's a joke at this point for sure. Still I couldn't even crack a smile on reading this, I was so annoyed.

9. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Kerry Wood is the Cubs Carl Pavano.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

10. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    At least Prior is taking his spring training seriously! He wants to prove that he deserves to be in the starting rotation, and is planning on using Spring Training to prove that he is back in the form that allowed him to win 18 games his first full season.

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, I am not all that thrilled with Prior either.

12. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    If you're no thrilled with Prior, and not thrilled about Wood, then what about some of the young pitchers that have a shot at making the club? I know that Sporting News states that one of them should make the rotation this spring.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Admittedly I don't know too much about them, what with school and work and being out of the country all last year.

14. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    Rich Hill is the one that seems to have the best shot at making the rotation. He pitched very well toward the end of last season, including a complete game shut out in his last start of the season. He showed a lot of skill and impressed a lot of people. Also Mike Marshall is expected to get a serious look again this year. He threw a great game in his first start against St. Louis and did well, despite being hurt at times. Add to it that he is a lefty, and there is a very good chance that he will either be starting, or working out of the bullpen when spring training is overwith.

15. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Rich Hill is all most guarenteed a spot,Piniella seems pleased with him. Sean Marshall needs some work,I can definatly see him making the rotation just not this year.

The wonderkid Ryan O Malley should be given a shot. He pitched 8 shut out innings aganist the Astros but was sidelined with an injury in his second game. The scouts seem to be pleased with him.

16. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Zambrano and the Cubs reached a one year deal and a multi-year contract should be reached before opening day.

Good,I was scared for a few days. Zambrano is the best player the Cubs have IMO.

17. Shiva

Apr 4, 2006
    Well, now that Carlos is signed for the rest of this year, its time to look over the starting rotation. In the #1 spot, we have Big Z. #2 is supposed to be Lilly, #3 is probably going to be Jason Marquis, #4 is the rookie Rich Hill, with the #5 spot up for grabs between Wade Miller and Mark Prior. Lets also hope that the SI jinx does not hit the cubs this year, since Lou Pinella was featured on the cover! And we know what has happened in the past to players who have been featured on the cover!

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Whats the over/under on combined innings pitched between Wood and Prior this year?

19. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Soriano was on the cover as well [face_worried]

20. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Mark Prior surrenders four hits and three runs in 1 and a half innings.

Hey Lou don't Wade Miller or Neal Cotts look a little more tempting?

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    When was this?

22. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Yesterday aganist the Seattle Mariners

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well it's a little early to be sounding death knells but yeah that doesn't look good.

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Spring Training, results dont really matter that much. I'd rather have a pitcher have bad outings in spring training than the actual season.

25. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Well I just hate Prior. I personally like the idea of Cotts being promoted to starter. Lou thinks it's a possibility and has said "I wouldn't mind having three left handed starters in his line up at all"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.