main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Child of Mandalore - The Story of a Mandalorian Warrior - COMPLETE at last

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    A scream of rage sounded out, an animalistic shriek of pain and loss. Vaguely, Kyri wondered why her throat hurt, and why that woman would not simply shut up and let her mourn her son in peace.

:_| That says it better than any description of pain and loss.

2. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    That absolutely broke my heart. I think I went through half a box of tissues. To lose a child...it's every mother's worst fear. I like how they were able to help each other heal and can now talk about their son and remember him and that they realize Pendar isn't a replacement for him but a different child to love for who he is.

3. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Oh Kim that was so heartbreaking. I didn't go through quite that many tissues, but I did use up several.

4. NightBrother

NightBrother Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2006
    THis is one of my first posts at the site, but I must say...This story....very moving.Especially the last post. I applaud you!=D= =D= =D=

5. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    With a cry of anguish, Ghee gathered up their son into his arms and rocked him. His deep, harsh sobs filled the hut. Kyri held Torka?s hands in her own, knowing she would give anything to pour her own life force into the tiny, exhausted body. Torka was too tired to fight anymore, he had given it his best but the time had come for surrender. He was a Mando, after all, strong to the last. He opened his eyes one last time, but awareness had already fled and he looked at them blankly. She could only hope that some small part of him knew they were there, that they had not left him alone. They would never leave him alone.

[face_worried] god...like you picked out one of my own nightmares...:_| I'm speechless.

6. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Wow! What an amazing story. I'm loving the glimpses of Mandalorian culture, and the nobility of your characters. Beautiful stuff. Please keep it coming! :)

7. WWERVD7

WWERVD7 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2006
    love the story great charecters can't wait for more

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    JadeSolo That was hard to write, for personal reasons. [face_plain] But I'm glad it worked.

Gina Yes, I wanted to make it very clear that they didn't see him as a replacement for their lost son, but as a unique person. [face_love]

Layren Thank you for reading! :D

NightBrother Thank you for reading, and welcome to the forums! [:D]

correllian_ale It IS a nightmare, and very hard to write. :_|

raisedbywolves That's been a lot of fun, doing the research!

WWERVD7 Glad you liked it!

I have NOT forgotten this story. It's just that recently "Real Life" has gotten incredibly stressful and busy. Once we all settle into our new routines, I'll update this story again. Thank you for reading, and I promise it won't be too long before I put another post up. I just want to make sure I post something decent, not just throw something up here so that I can say I've updated. [face_batting]
    Thank you all for your patience! [:D]

9. WWERVD7

WWERVD7 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2006
    can u add me to the PM list

10. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    WWERVD7 Will do! :D

[b]Chapter 9[/b]

It was a fine morning, the sun was shining brightly and the gentle breezes brought in the scent of the sea from far away. Pendar walked quietly at Ghee?s side as they wandered through the forest, though the reason for the impromptu journey had not yet been explained to the boy. The warrior seemed to content to wander through the woods, stopping at various places to point out something of interest to his young companion. Ghee came to a halt and knelt down in the dirt, pushed aside some pale pink blossoms and motioned for Pendar to look closely. ?That is the kala plant, and see that pale root?? he asked.

Pendar nodded as he got on his knees beside Ghee.

?That root can be made into a tea,? Ghee explained, ?that is good for fevers.? He tapped the side of his head. ?Remember that, in case you ever get stuck planet side without supplies.? He grinned at the boy. ?It happens every now and then, and you have to be able to take care of yourself ? no matter what.?

The boy gave a solemn nod and Ghee found his lips quirking at Pendar?s earnestness. Ghee pulled up the little plant and brushed the dirt off the root. Then he took a little nibble and offered it to Pendar. The boy looked at him doubtfully for a moment, but when he nodded, Pendar took a healthy bite out of the plant before starting to cough and spitting it out on the ground, his eyes watering. ?That stuff?s horrible!? he accused. ?It burned my tongue!?

Ghee?s blue eyes twinkled with good humor. ?And it?s also a good strong spice for food,? he added. ?Very hot.?

Pendar merely stared at him for a moment and then shrugged, an impish smirk on his face. ?I?ll remember to keep some on hand,? he remarked as he leaned forward and plucked another kala root and tucked it into the small pouch he wore at his belt. ?You never know when a certain gundark?s food?s gonna need some spicing up,? he added with an innocent expression.

Unable to help himself, Ghee laughed loudly, disturbing some birds roosting in the trees above them. He ruffled Pendar?s hair, laughing once more at the boy?s disgruntled expression. ?I can see I had better be careful with you, cub,? Ghee said affectionately. ?You have claws.?

The two of them got to their feet and continued on their way, but before long, Ghee had stopped and pointed to small animal tracks going off to their right. ?Those are the tracks of the myllé,? he said softly. ?It?s small, but nasty. A swipe from their claws or one of their bites can leave you with a nasty infection that takes weeks to cure.? He lifted up his sleeve to show a trio of lines marking his forearm. ?That?s a gift from a myllé when I was just about your age.?

Pendar reached out and traced his finger along the scars. ?Did it hurt?? he asked curiously.

?Like hell,? Ghee said cheerfully. ?But the scar impressed Kyri when she first saw it, so I considered it well worth it.? Their eyes met and Pendar burst into a giggle and rolled his eyes.

They began walking once more. Pendar glanced up at Ghee and asked, ?So how long have you known Kyri??

?All my life,? Ghee answered as he plucked a leaf from a tree as they walked. He put it to his lips and a shrill, sharp whistle erupted. He looked down at Pendar, who had stopped and was trying to find a similar leaf. The boy gave a soft cry of triumph when he found one and he placed it against his lips and blew hard. All that emerged was a sickly, wet blast of air. ?It takes time to get the knack of it,? Ghee said.

?How long have you been married?? Pendar asked as they ducked under a low-lying limb.

?We got married the summer we turned seventeen,? Ghee answered. ?Our families scolded us for taking so long, especially since they decided that we should be together when we were still in our cradles.? He laughed and shook his head at the memory.

?So you must have been married for a [i]long, long[/i] time,? Pendar said with a note of awe. ?Maybe more than thirty years!?

Ghee gave a bark of laughter. ?We?re not quite [i]that[/i] old, my b

11. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    My favorite chapter so far!! :D [face_love] Loved the "father-son" bonding here as Ghee passed on his knowledge to Pendar. They seem so at ease together now. But I hope this chapter with all its warm fuzzies isn't just a set-up for a major bit of angst. [face_shame_on_you]

?To be honest,? Ghee looked around him as if fearing that Kyri was standing behind him, ?No, not really.? Then he grinned. ?But Kyri knew, and she convinced me.?

Pendar nodded emphatically. ?Kyri?s good at convincing,? he agreed.

[face_laugh] And some day, Pendar will meet a girl who's good at convincing him! :p

12. WWERVD7

WWERVD7 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2006
    really good chapter it was worth the wait

13. correllian_ale

Jun 20, 2005
    ?Did you always know that Kyri was going to be your wife?? Pendar asked thoughtfully.

?To be honest,? Ghee looked around him as if fearing that Kyri was standing behind him, ?No, not really.? Then he grinned. ?But Kyri knew, and she convinced me.?

-Geez! Women, always so sure of themselves they are. :p

I really love how every chapter is another layer of bonding between Pendar and his new parents. The fact that Ghee, is able to juggle the delicate balance between a good father and dedicated warrior is impressive, despite him being Mandoa.

Another fabulous chapter Mama V!

=D= =D=

14. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    wow, an AWESOME fic!!! I LOVED it so far!!!!

Please add me to the PM list!!

I loved how he is always keeping his eyes open (pendar that is)

Tntornado

15. NightBrother

NightBrother Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2006
    Wow! It's pretty interesting to see how Pendar's bonding. I guess the little guy is going to turn out fine, as long as he doesn't tamper with a certain gundark's lunch! ;)
    I've GOT to see that in the next post!

NightBrother out....

16. -DarkScorpion-

-DarkScorpion- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2006
    I Love this story ever since i came across it coz i LOVE mandos and this story shows thier softer side

Oh and can you add me to the PM list??

-DarkScorpion-

17. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Gina That's when he'll KNOW it's love! [face_laugh]

WWERVD7 Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

correllian_ale The more I read about that culture, the more I learn how devoted they are to family. That's what inspired this little tale. :D

TnTornado Thanks! I hope you like the rest of the story!

NightBrother [face_laugh] He's sneaky and afraid of nothing, that's for sure!

-DarkScorpion- Thanks! I'm flattered you like it, and I'll PM you.

18. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Chapter 10

Pendar was quiet on the way home, his expression pensive. Ghee let the boy think about what he had learned, and contemplate the new perspective he might have gained on the village and those in it. The Mando?a were not an easy people to get to know, but Ghee knew that Pendar would be accepted without reservation if he chose to remain and be part of them. There were times when he was certain the boy would voice his desire to remain, be a part of their family, and then he would see something in the boy?s dark gaze that said he was not quite ready. When the time is right, he reminded himself.

Kyri was waiting for them when they arrived home and her welcoming smile made Ghee grin. He noted how her eyes took in every detail of Pendar?s appearance, making sure there were no fresh cuts or scratches, or even insect bites for her to treat. Pendar walked by her with a friendly wave, leaned in to whisper something, and then went directly into the hut. Ghee walked up to Kyri and wrapped his arm around her lean waist. ?He?s fine, Kyri,? he whispered. ?Don?t coddle the boy.?

She pulled away, obviously insulted. ?I wasn?t coddling, I was just checking,? she said defensively. ?You go climbing up in those trees and have no idea of what?s crawling up there with you.?

Ghee leered at her. ?You can crawl up there with me, far away from everyone else in the village,? he said huskily. ?Then you won?t be so quiet?? His expression was lecherous, but his gaze was warm and tender.

?Hush, you,? she scolded, looking around to make sure that no one had heard his words. A fiery blush warmed her cheeks and she bit her lip, but when she looked up at him, she winked. ?I think your voice carries farther than mine!?

Ghee laughed loudly, drawing several pairs of eyes. Lifting Kyri up in his arms, he kissed her soundly, earning calls of encouragement from his friends and giggles from the women.

?Put me down!? Kyri shrieked, hitting at his shoulders.

?What?s in it for me?? he asked thoughtfully as he dangled her above the ground.

Kyri looked down at him and laughed. ?If you put me down now I won?t put this kala root in your stew tonight,? she promised. Then she reached down to the pouch on her belt and withdrew the root.

?That little cub!? Ghee said, half admiringly and half exasperated. ?He?s got quick hands, doesn?t he?? he asked as he lowered her to the ground.

She nodded and grinned. ?You?d best remember that unless you want to spitting fire for a week!? Kyri rested her head on Ghee?s broad chest. ?He reminds me of you,? she murmured, and then she looked up and their eyes locked. Her head tilted. ?How is that possible??

Leaning down, Ghee placed a tender kiss on her lips. ?Because it was meant to be, he was destined to come here to us?to make us?complete,? he said softly. ?Don?t you feel it, too??

Nodding, she sighed with content. ?Yes,? Kyri replied. Then she looked troubled. ?Do you think he?ll feel it, too, one day??

?He?s wrestling with his past right now, my love,? Ghee answered. ?He must decide if he?s being disloyal to the parents who gave him life if he lets himself feel at home here, give his heart to us.? He smiled slightly. ?It is a big step for a man to give his heart, whether to a parent or a woman,? he said solemnly. ?Don?t hurry him; he must work through this in his own time, in his own way.?

?I bow to your wisdom,? she teased. ?Though I still reserve the right to use that kala root if I have to!? With that warning, she slid from his embrace and entered the hut, leaving Ghee staring appreciatively at the sway of her hips.

?And damned if you won?t!? he whispered as he watched her disappear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning as Kyri prepared the morning meal, Pendar joined Ghee as he went through his normal routine, which on this particular day, included a swim in the brisk river that ran near the village. Pendar accompanied him, his eyes still sleepy, but his step quick and lively. As Ghee stripped down to a pair of shorts, Pendar stuck his

19. WWERVD7

WWERVD7 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2006
    great chapter I really love the father son realatinship that is begining to develop

20. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    really really good update MommaVader - the bonding going on is really good, and I love the interaction between Kryi and Ghee!

I also like the way Pendar phrased his question - he phrased it so good that I was taking it a different way = meaning he meant to hurt Kryi, but I'm glad it wasn't that way.

All in All an awesome update!

TnTornado

21. correllian_ale

Jun 20, 2005
    You're EVIL VaderLVR, always trying to make me all glassy-eyed!!![face_worried]

Very beautiful sentiments in this chapter, and I too liked the father/son bond thats developing.

=D=

22. -DarkScorpion-

-DarkScorpion- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2006
    Absolutly LOVED it [face_love] wonderful bonding and the kala root and the river was VERY Funny

keep up the VERY good work =D=

Post soon or....[face_beatup] ;)

oh and i think i found a error

?You?d best remember that unless you want to spitting fire for a week!?
    it should be
    ?You?d best remember that unless you want to be spitting fire for a week!?

23. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    I have just found this wonderful story. I love it. Your character's seem so real with all emotions, thought and action. =D=

I look forward to more wonderful writing.[face_dancing]

24. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Somehow I missed a post. Ahh well still here reading! Excellent work on this fic, I just LOVE your OC's.. you always create such wonderful fics with well-rounded meaningful characters. =D=

25. Roain_Xantos

Roain_Xantos Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    <----Big Mando Fan

I am absolutely loving this!! :D

-Roain <><

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.