main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Before - Legends Child of Mandalore - The Story of a Mandalorian Warrior - COMPLETE at last

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I think Pendar's even smarter than Ghee thinks. All the questions he's been asking, feeling his way through the layers of Mando culture to see if he could be happy there, until all that's left is his decision to stay or leave.

I love the little devil streak in him. [face_laugh] Even if he never becomes a Mando, he'll be one hell of an enemy. :p

2. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    VaderLVR, You gotta update, its been a couple weeks, and we really need to know what happens to these people!

TnTornado

3. -DarkScorpion-

-DarkScorpion- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2006
    Are you there?!?!?

WE NEED A POST!

you waiting reader
    -DarkScorpion-

4. BroodingLion

BroodingLion Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2004
    Oh, wow... this is good. And I think I might learn a few bits, too, since I never got a chance to read that Insider article!

Might I be added to the PM list too?

Random question: about how much time has passed now, since Pendar's arrival?

5. TnTornado

Jun 10, 2006
    MommaVader, you needa update this! Its almost a month since the last update - are you forgetting about this??

TnTornado

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    WWERVD7 It's happening...slowly. :p

TnTornado No, he'd never hurt Kyri! :D Sorry, real life and a lot of on-going stories has made writing time scarce. But expect an update at LEAST once a month.

correllian_ale Evil? It took you this long to find that out? [face_skull]

-DarkScorpion- Thanks for reading, and I'll take care of that. :p And I'm posting now!

PRINCESSCAMBRIA Thanks! This is a new area for me. :D

Layren Thank you. [face_blush]

Roain_Xantos I'm glad! ;)

JadeSolo Won't he, though? [face_mischief]

BroodingLion At the time of the post below, he's been there now about six months or so.

[b]Chapter 11[/b]

The cool, refreshing weather of autumn gave way to the cold days of the winter season. Pendar found the climate to be mild compared to the harsh winters he had endured in his old village, and spent nearly every waking moment outside. Uldaas quickly grew accustomed to the chill, as the young seem to do, and joined him for endless hours. Soon, the boys were pitching snowballs at each other, using huts, trees, and even some of the larger warriors as cover. It was not long before the other Mando?a children joined in this game, and many others. Shrieks of childish laughter rippled through the village, and then there would be shouts of encouragement for whatever game they were playing at the moment. The boy fell into the role of natural leader, with even the children who had been born and raised among the Mando?a deferring to him in arguments. It was impossible to tell him apart from the other children, for they were all pink-cheeked in the cold, and wrapped in layers to keep warm, yelling as they played. Pendar came home every night, exhausted but happy, and fell into his cot after eating enough food to sustain two warriors.

Ghee and Kyri watched all of it with a growing sense of contentment. They stood quietly as Pendar received his first scolding from one of the warriors, who did not look happy at all to be wearing a white beard made of snow. The boy was respectful, but not afraid, and he did not look to them to ?rescue? him. He had done something wrong and gracefully accepted the consequences. By the end of the warrior?s lecture, however, Pendar was beginning to look a bit bored. When the big man was done, Pendar considered the situation for a moment and then murmured something so softly that Ghee and Kyri could not hear it. The warrior looked at the boy and then burst out laughing. Before Pendar ran off to join his friends, the man even reached out and affectionately rumpled his hair.

As Pendar ran by them, he flashed Kyri and Ghee and impudent grin and then joined the boys waiting for him. Kyri noted with amusement that he was greeted with numerous manly slaps on the back, as if he was a solider who had just returned from a particularly dangerous mission. It was, however, also a glimpse of the life he could lead if he chose to stay. Pendar would find it easy to fit in among them.

The warrior walked by them and clapped Ghee on the shoulder. ?A fine boy you?ve got there, Rendanali,? he said with a smirk. ?A bit high-spirited,? he added as he wiped the last of the snow from his face. ?But that?s a good quality for a Mando to have, I suppose.?

Kyri grinned at the man, a huge figure as tall as Cole and significantly wider. Not an ounce of it was fat, however, no matter how large he appeared. ?What did he say to you, Sem??

Shaking his head, Sem shrugged his massive shoulders. ?Told me that maybe I ought to consider I looked [i]better[/i] with a beard and he had actually done me a [i]favor.[/i]? He chuckled at the memory. ?That boy doesn?t fear anything, does he??

?Missing a meal,? Kyri quipped. ?That terrifies him.? The three of them looked at each other and laughed.

With every day that passed made the couple more certain that Pendar would choose to remain with them. However, until the boy was formally adopted in the simple, traditional ceremony, Kyri fretted over the possib>

7. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    There were just some things a man had to do for the women in his life, he told himself.

Oh! He's officially a man of the house now. He knows women have weird emotions, and he knows when to bow down to those emotions. :p [face_love]

What I like best about Ghee and Kyri is that they let Pendar come to his own decisions. It might be that he's old enough in most societies to make important choices, but that kind of parenting seems to fit in even more with the way you've described the Mandos. I think it helped him fit in even more.

8. BroodingLion

BroodingLion Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2004
    Ghee's quickly becoming my favorite. I just keep getting these images of wheels turning really really really fast in his head whenever Pendar says anything, and I really like the duality of that beside his external stoicism. Of course, this may just be due to the fact that whenever my wheels are turning that quickly, it's a little too obvious :p . But then, rapid adaptability is one of the hallmarks of a successful warrior.

9. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    Again...the banter between Ghee and Pendar is excellent=D=

?I wanna call Kyri mom first,? he said. ? You know women, they get all weepy about that sorta stuff and if she thinks I called you father first, she might get her feelings hurt.?

That was my favorite line. It pulled at my mommy heartstrings[:D]

Pendar is certainly wise beyond his years:)

Looking forward to more[face_dancing]

10. TnTornado

Jun 10, 2006
    MammaVader you gotta update more often, and this chapter is proof why!

I loved the relationship between the 3 main characters, and how Pendar is not only taking his place as a son in the family, but he is the village boys leader! Thats something I can see him doing, although I didn't expect it!

All in all a much needed update!

TnTornado

11. -DarkScorpion-

Jun 22, 2006
    [face_dancing] A Post!! [face_dancing] A Post!! [face_dancing]
    [face_dancing] WhooHOOO!!! [face_dancing] THERES A POST!!!

[face_laugh] LOL!![face_laugh]

:( Now that was just... Beautiful? :(

12. WWERVD7

WWERVD7 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2006
    good chapter

13. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    The cool, refreshing weather of autumn...
    -What I wouldn't do for a bit of that right now.:p

Ah, MamaV, and here I thought this story was going to be about big tough Mando'a warriors, yet most of the time...you get me all teary-eyed.:_|

The comment Pendar made to the warrior about the beard was cute, but his adult-like grasp of adult & female behavior was even more humorous; because its so true.

Another heart-warming chapter, I loved it!=D=

Thanks VaderLVR!

14. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    Congratulations to the winner of underrated.=D==D=

I bow to your surerior writing sills.=D==D=

15. GreenLightsaberGirl

GreenLightsaberGirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2006
    Wonderful story! hurry up with the next post!
    SaberGirl

16. -DarkScorpion-

Jun 22, 2006

:p now obey the great jedi master[face_laugh]

17. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    JadeSolo That parenting style seemed to fit their culture. Thanks for reading!

BroodingLion Ghee is a warrior, and he would use all of those skills even in everyday life. :)

PRINCESSCAMBRIA Pendar's had to grow up fast. [:D]

TnTornado Well, the second-to-last update is posted! :)

-DarkScorpion- I'm a sucker for maternal mushiness! ;)

WWERVD7 Thanks! :D

correllian_ale Pendar is incredibly smart, and that makes him a formidable opponent! [face_laugh]

Lea-El Thanks! I was shocked!

GreenLightsaberGirl It's here at last. :p

-DarkScorpion- I hear, I obey...eventually! [face_mischief]

[b]Chapter 12[/b]

[i]Six months later?[/i]

Kyri woke up slowly, for a moment forgetting the significance of the day. Then she smiled and stretched like feline, enjoying a great sense of satisfaction. Beside her, Ghee was already awake, his eyes wide and watchful. ?You didn?t even sleep did you?? Kyri accused playfully.

Ghee shook his head ruefully. ?I couldn?t,? he confessed. ?I tried, but?? He grinned and gave a shrug.

With a soft laugh, Kyri snuggled closer to him. ?I know how you feel,? she agreed. She sighed and closed her eyes. ?It seems like we?ve waited forever for this day.?

He wrapped a strand of her hair around one of his fingers, smiling slightly at how it seemed to cling to him, just as Kyri herself did. Ghee whispered in her ear, ?Happy?? Though of course, he knew she was, he felt the same joy radiating in his own body.

?Thank you,? she said simply.

?For what?? he teased, though his blue eyes glinted with amusement.

She rolled her eyes at him. ?Well, I?m not telling you again if you have such a bad memory!?

?Maybe for bringing you the perfect son?? he asked with a grin.

Kyri shook her head. ?Oh, he?s not perfect, not by a long shot.?

?Perfect is boring,? Ghee said with a shrug. ?That?s why I married you?you have so many lovely imperfections.?

?I?m not sure if I?ve been insulted or not,? Kyri murmured, pressing her lips to the pulse in his throat.

He groaned and held her tightly. ?Ah, you tempt me,? he confessed. ?But there is much to do to get ready for today.? His voice was regretful and she laughed as she sat up.

?Serves you right,? she mocked him, getting to her feet and slipping on a tunic and pants. ?Now?go make sure that the preparations are going as they should,? she instructed him. ?I want a feast tonight ? one that won?t soon be forgotten!?

?Yes, commander,? Ghee grumbled as he began getting dressed.

With a shriek of laughter, Kyri jumped onto the bed and threw herself on Ghee?s back. He grunted as he struggled to stay on his feet. Standing on the bed, she whispered in Ghee?s ear. ?I love you??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pendar was looking out the door, his expression cautious. Ghee walked up behind him and whispered, ?What are you doing??

The boy turned around and put his fingers to his lips. ?Shh? she might hear you!? he hissed.

?Who might hear me?? Ghee asked softly, trying to peer past Pendar.

Giving a long-suffering sigh, the boy pointed out the door. ?Her?that [i]girl[/i]?? There was a note of young masculine disdain in his voice.

?What girl?? the warrior asked, his lips quirking.

?That girl, you know?the annoying one,? Pendar answered peevishly. ?Well, the [i]most[/i] annoying one.?

Kyri?s voice came from behind him. ?You know her, Ghee, Sterl?s daughter?the one with blond hair and big brown eyes.? Her dark eyes were alight with laughter.

Ghee frowned thoughtfully and then his expression cleared. ?Oh, little Rinya...? he said, a smile slowly stretching his lips. ?Ah?I see.?

Pendar scowled at Ghee. ?See what??

Trying to repress his amusement, Ghee shrugged. ?Nothing, nothing at all.? He cleared his throat and glanced at Kyri. ?I suppose we?ll be seeing Rinya at the feast tonight??

?I see her [i]everywhere[/i],? Pendar grumbled. ?She follows me like a kusak pup.?

?Well, now, you [i>

18. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Good thing I read this before I got infectious. :p Love Pendar. He's my kind of kid. =D=

19. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    *sniff*

It's over?

It was nice to finally see Pendar accepting his role as a Mando'a warrior.

20. TnTornado

Jun 10, 2006
    What a good end of the story MammaVader, WAaaaaaayyyy to short, I'd love to read about their adventures, maybe read about a mission or two with the whole family in it!

Regardless, its been great reading this story!

TnTornado

21. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Ori'jatne, Vader'riduur, ori'aay'han.=D= :)

22. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    I've been lurking to this page so often, and never found the time to actually start reading the story... but I looked at the comments, and I definitely MUST read this! :D

I bet you've got this all in a doc, right? If yes, could you please email this to me, so that I don't have to copy and paste every single chapter - I want to print it, you know. :D

I really, really hope I'll get time to read this... [face_whistling] [face_blush]

Oh, and would you like to have this indexed over at the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/25209849/p1/?1]Mando Discussion Group[/link]? :)

23. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Kyri woke up slowly, for a moment forgetting the significance of the day. Then she smiled and stretched like feline, enjoying a great sense of satisfaction. Beside her, Ghee was already awake, his eyes wide and watchful. ?You didn?t even sleep did you?? Kyri accused playfully.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's because you wrote it, but I had some awful bad thoughts. [face_laugh]

I love the friendship between Uldaas and Pendar - out of all the wonderful relationships in this story, this was my favorite. They'll be quite a pair of heartbreakers when they're older. [face_love]

24. NightsWalker

NightsWalker Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2006
    I like what you have here. shows another face of the mandalorians, goes along great with reading from the 'bloodlines' sw book that just got released, about fett and stuff. definitely cool. stay frosty

25. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006

Pendar looked at the men and grinned. ?Do you think our wives will carry us home, too?? He nudged his friend and they looked at the large amounts of spirits that were being produced, and no doubt would soon be consumed.

?Of course,? Uldaas replied. ?But then they?ll wake us up early, just like my mother will do to my father tomorrow morning.? The boys exchanged grins. ?And she?ll laugh when he says his head hurts.?

and

?I hope that we will live to fight at each other?s side for many years,? Uldaas murmured in a voice that sounded oddly adult.

Pendar held out his hand. ?Brothers.?

?Brothers,? Uldaas answered.

This story had so many great moments. I have very much enjoyed the look into the Mandalorian culture. You've captured it so wonderfully.=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.