main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Child of the Desert- Luke, Mara, Ben- short story, COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RenoaStormhaven

RenoaStormhaven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2004
    O_O I want more of this! More, more, more, I demand it!

This story was awesome. Total Skywalker, total Mara. God, I want to know what it was Mara was smiling about. It made me think it might've been that she's pregnant again (which would be interesting). WRITE MORE!

2. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Luke realized that it had been a long time since laughter had been heard among the Skywalkers
    Love that line

Never thought of Luke returning to Tatooine with Ben...kinda figured he wouldn't want to go back. Looks very interesting.

Jes

3. DreamOfKenobi

DreamOfKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2004
    Love the dialogue! They seem like a real married couple, not just Jedi. I like that. And need I say Ben is adorable.

4. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Luke, Mara, little Ben, Tatooine........what more can a Skywalker family fan ask for? [face_love]

Wonderful start!!

I wanted to warn anyone who is looking for an action packed story that this will not be it. This is more about the process of recovery after a life-changing time and the healing properties of home. A quiet little tale about Luke and his family.

I love it already!! :D

5. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    That sounds like our house, LOL! You know I'm right! [face_devil]

6. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    That was great, even if you do malign my entire gender! :D

Love the dialogue between these two, it was priceless.

7. RenoaStormhaven

Jul 5, 2004
    Please, please, PLEASE tell me you'll update soon! I want more!

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    RedGold I think at this point in their lives, they are probably more concerned with being parents and a couple than being Jedi. Thanks for reading!

AnakinsHeir Thanks! They haven't lost that "spark" so I think they would still goad each other.

EmilieDarklighter I admit that that particular phrase is heard in our home. :D

Leia Well, that's the look our kids give us! Ben is a typical kid in most ways. Thank you for reading.

Vongchild Nothing major will happen. They just need time to simply be a family and Tatooine is a good place to do that. Thanks for reading!

Smuggler_Shidakis Thanks! :p

MY-T-Chewbacca I hope so! :)

Knight_Aragorn Yeah everyone knows that parents snuggling are GROSS! Thanks for reading!

RebelMom Thank you!

RenoaStormhaven Thanks, and more is here.

Jesina_Dreis I thought that no matter how unpleasant a planet might be, home is still home. Thank you for reading!

DreamOfKenobi Thank you! That is exactly what I was going for!

Jedi_Trace Whew! I wasn't sure that anyone else would be interested in a quiet little story like this. I'm so glad you like it.

VadersMistress Where do you think I got the dialogue? :p

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Nah! We love you guys! But I mean, come on... :) Glad you like it anyway!

Chapter 3

The next day, Luke piloted a small speeder in the general direction of Ben Kenobi?s old home. The last time he had been there it had been largely emptied by scavengers, but he still wanted to spend a few moments in the place where it had all started, the place where he had first heard about the Force.

Lately, it seemed to him that there was too much ?noise? around him, hindering his ability to hear the Force. This absence saddened him, making him feel empty and forsaken. He needed to spend time reconnecting with the peaceful currents that sustained him.

He also needed time to strengthen the bonds with his family.

Glancing behind him, he saw that Ben was bouncing from one side of the speeder to the other. His eyes were wide with amazement, and a continuous stream of questions poured from him.

Mara was biting her lip to keep from laughing at him as he tried to interject an answer, only to be interrupted once more by Ben?s enthusiastic voice.

?We?re going to see Master Obi-Wan?s house?? Ben asked for the tenth time.

?Yes, my first Master,? Luke replied patiently.

?And I?m named after him, huh?? the boy asked yet again.

?Yes, you are,? Luke replied as he grinned at Mara.

?So how come I?m not named Obi-Wan??

?Your father couldn?t spell it,? Mara teased them both.

?He could, too!? Ben came instantly to his father?s defense.

Luke shook his head regretfully. ?I don?t know Ben; spelling was never my strong suit.?

?But I loved him so much that I married him anyway,? she said as she fondly ruffled her husband?s hair. ?Atrocious spelling and all!?

Ben made gagging noises in the back of the speeder. That was his new trick whenever he caught them acting affectionately toward each other. Luke suspected that his niece was responsible for this bit of bad behavior and vowed to give her a piece of his mind when they returned. Whenever that might prove to be.

The humble hut rose up suddenly before them. Luke slowed the speeder and came to a halt in front of Old Ben?s home. He remained seated, just staring at it for a moment. He remembered the moment that Ben had brought him here after finding him passed out after being attacked by a Tusken. Even after all these years, that humiliating memory brought a chagrined smile to his face.

Glancing over, he saw Mara staring at him. ?Lots of memories, huh??

?Lots,? he agreed.

She looked at the hut. ?I wish I could have met him.?

Luke closed his eyes for a moment, picturing Ben as he had first seen him, somewhat dusty, a sly smile on his face, his eyes bright with laughter as he admitted to being Obi-Wan Kenobi. Opening his eyes he found Mar

9. RenoaStormhaven

Jul 5, 2004
    Mara was biting her lip to keep from laughing at him as he tried to interject an answer, only to be interrupted once more by Ben?s enthusiastic voice.

?We?re going to see Master Obi-Wan?s house?? Ben asked for the tenth time.

?Yes, my first Master,? Luke replied patiently.

?And I?m named after him, huh?? the boy asked yet again.

?Yes, you are,? Luke replied as he grinned at Mara.

Luke shook his head regretfully. ?I don?t know Ben; spelling was never my strong suit.?

?But I loved him so much that I married him anyway,? she said as she fondly ruffled her husband?s hair. ?Atrocious spelling and all!?

Ben made gagging noises in the back of the speeder. That was his new trick whenever he caught them acting affectionately toward each other. Luke suspected that his niece was responsible for this bit of bad behavior and vowed to give her a piece of his mind when they returned. Whenever that might prove to be.

LOL! I love this part! You're doing a really good job with this story. Keep writing! The Kitling sounds cool. Obi-Kitling. Hehehe. KEEP WRITING!

10. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Great story! ben is so cool!

11. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    I always knew Ben was a smart kid.

I loved the bit about Luke not being able to spell 'Obi-Wan.'

Is there any particular reason the kitling has eyes like Mara's?

12. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Eyes just like Mara?

THE TRUTH IS KNOW!! MARA'S PARENTS WERE KITLINGS!!!

Okay, maybe not... hehehehehe

Another good one that keeps ya grinning.

13. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    No particular reason, nothing up my sleeve. I just own a cat with gorgeous green eyes. But her name is Shmi... That didn't fit here. :p

14. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    ?What did you find?? Luke asked as he knelt down beside his son.

Ben shrugged. ?I dunno, but it?s moving.?

Quickly Luke snatched his son?s hand back from under the bed. ?You might want to let me check this out.?

That might worry a parent! :D

Great chapter and so nice to see the Skywalkers just as a family. Okay, a family strong in the Force and heroes of the galaxy and all. But still, just a family.

15. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    CUUTE!!!!! That was a great chapter. Kitty! Meow!!!! :p

16. Jadie

Jadie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    It's soooo sweet!
    I like it! [face_love]
    Vader, you are a great writer ;)

17. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Fantastic dialogue, once again! Very nice interactions between the family.

[face_laugh] Ohhh, so that's the reason... :p

Looking forward to more!

18. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Hi, Vader! I think this is the first NJO/post-NJO story I've read. And I'm so glad I did. It's wonderful. Goes to show that a person should break out of her comfort zone once in a while, I guess.

I can really see Luke wanting to return to Tatooine at this point in his life. Young people often want to venture out into the world (or in this case, galaxy) and try out their wings. Mature (not older! ;) ) people often long for a homecoming.

Luke's, Mara's, and Ben's characters are drawn so well and believably. I'm really enjoying seeing them interact with one another, especially the loving banter and the bit about the kitling.

This is a little off-topic, but the kitling warming right up to Mara reminded me. You remember Shadow--the cat I rescued this past summer and brought home even though hubby has always professed to abhor cats? Well, he's completely won my husband over by now. Hubby will sit down and Shadow will run and jump into his lap, curl up and start purring. I tease hubby by saying "I knew you'd like him," and hubby gives me this goofy grin, lol.

Glad your Shmi is all right, too!

And I think Mara was smiling just because she's happy to see Luke happy again. :)

Looking forward to more!

Kristeh

19. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    I thought that no matter how unpleasant a planet might be, home is still home.
    I suppose it is...been realizing that myself more and more lately.

Such a cutie. And I love the Mara-Luke banter

Luke suspected that his niece was responsible for this bit of bad behavior and vowed to give her a piece of his mind when they returned. Whenever that might prove to be.
    Do we know where they are and I'm just being dumb? Or is that something you've yet to let us know?

?Look, Mom,? Ben whispered. ?He?s got eyes like you.?
    Ah, the innocence of childhood.

Then the kitling suddenly sprang from Luke?s hands, used his arm as a bridge by digging his claws in as he climbed, and jumped into Mara?s now outstretched hands. He promptly curled up and began to purr.

?I don?t even like kitlings,? she insisted, even as she began petting her tiny friend.

?It seems he likes you,? Luke replied.

Awwww.... *goes looking for her kitty* Sooooo cute!!!

The boy shrugged. ?I dunno, it just feels that way.? He stared up at his mother. ?You know we will,? he said matter-of-factly.

The parents exchanged a look over their son?s head. As time went on they had discovered that there were disadvantages to having a child who was so strong in the Force.

And this was one of those times.

He SO has them wrapped around his finger.

Wonderful update!!!

Jes

20. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah, I recognize that Obi. :p

21. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    RenoaStormhaven Thank you, I've enjoyed writing the Skywalkers as a normal family.

Valin_Halcyon Thanks! I like Ben, too!

Smuggler_Shidakis Ben is as smart as his parents, the best of both of them (and maybe the worst, too!).

RedGold You guessed it! Mara is the child of kitlings and she has the claws to prove it!

LukesTheMan I got that bit because my kids aren't afraid of anything furry, even when they should be! :D

Vongchild Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

Jadie Thank you so much!

Knight_Aragorn I'm convinced there is a "good speller" gene and the males in my family don't have it! Thanks for giving this a read!

kristeh My mom has always hated cats and two years rescued some strays. Now she is a confirmed cat person. Everyone changes! I'm so glad you like this, I'm a huge fan of your writing so it makes me feel good!

Jesina_Dreis Thank you! I am so glad you like it. I am having so much fun writing it. A nice little happy piece, no angst or big battles, LOL!

VadersMistress I thought you might! :D

Chapter 4

?Are you sure?? Mara?s voice was concerned.

Luke nodded. ?Yes, I just need to do this.?

She smiled and caressed his cheek. ?All right, farmboy. Do what you need to do.?

He leaned down and kissed her warmly. ?Thank you for understanding.?

She shrugged. ?When the Force speaks, you?ve got to listen.?

?Something like that,? he laughed.

?Hey, I understand the concept,? she grinned. ?Ben and I will be fine.?

?That is one thing I don?t worry about,? he said with a smile. ?I depend on you to protect me, remember??

?And don?t you forget it either,? she said as she playfully punched him in the stomach. ?Go on, tell your son and I?ll pack you some food just in case.?

?I don?t need to eat while I?m meditating,? he reminded her with a grin.

?But if I know you right, you?ll get hungry on the way there and the way back!?

Giving his wife another kiss just because it felt good to do so, Luke turned and went into his son?s bedroom.

The kitling was chasing a small ball around the room while Ben laughed in delight. He looked up at his father. ?I think Obi likes it here.?

Luke laughed. ?I?m sure he does. He has a full belly, a warm bed, and a little boy to play with, too.?

Ben tilted his head. ?Where you going??

Settling himself down by his son, he smiled at Ben?s perception. ?I am going to Master Obi-Wan?s home to meditate for a while.?

?Can I come, too??

Luke reached out and ruffled his son?s hair. ?Sorry, not this time.?

?Why??

Looking into Ben?s eyes, he knew that the boy would want something beyond a parental ?Because I said so.? He sighed and wondered how to explain.

?I need to re-connect with the Force, Ben,? he finally said. ?I need to quiet my mind so that I can hear what the Force wants to tell me. That?s about the only way I know how to explain it.?

Ben nodded solemnly. ?Sort of like getting real quiet so you can hear someone whisper, huh??

?Yes, exactly like that.?

?Does the Force talk to you??

?Not like you do, but yes, it speaks to me.?

?Will it speak to me one day??

?Yes, if you learn to listen for it,? he said fondly. ?It already does, it?s just harder for you to hear it right now.?

?Does it talk to Mommy??

?It speaks quite clearly to your mother,? Luke grinned.

?Does it speak to everyone??

Luke hesitated, not sure how to answer that question. ?Not everyone can hear it, and there are some who choose not to, but the Force surrounds us all.?

?Do you talk to the Force?? Ben asked as he caught the kitling around the middle and brought him into his lap.

?All the time, but I don?t always get an answer,? Luke replied.

Ben shrugged, apparently having lost interest in their discussion. He was evading the tiny claws that were batting at him. He picked the kitling up and stared into its green eyes and smiled. Luke was preparing to bid his son farewell and stand up when a quiet voice st

22. RenoaStormhaven

Jul 5, 2004
    Ooooh! I love this chapter! I love how fatherly you're making Luke. Obi is very cute, and I like that you're having Ben sort of progress with the Force ahead of himself. I don't really know how to explain it. WRITE MORE, and soon!

23. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I just love these family moments. I hope Luke finds what he's looking for.

24. Katarina42

Katarina42 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 10, 2001
    Aw! This story is so sweet ^_^

Kat

25. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    I love the conversation between Luke and Ben while Ben's playing with his new companion. It's so cute, and so realistic. I can completely see him playing the whole time he talks to his dad. And just the sudden:

?I feel it sometimes, I think.?

The Jedi Master looked at his son curiously. ?Feel what, Ben??

?The Force,? the boy replied without taking his eyes off the kitling. ?It?s sort of like a tickle in my head.?

was perfect! Wonderful job!

Jes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.