main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Child of the Desert- Luke, Mara, Ben- short story, COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Ben is SOOOOO cute.

:D

2. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Terrific story, VaderLVR. =D=

I love the family moments the Skywalkers are sharing together.

I hope Luke finds the peace at Obi-Wan's old home that he seems to be searching for. Maybe he'll even get a visit from the 'crazy old wizard' while he's there.

3. RenoaStormhaven

RenoaStormhaven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2004
    That would be SUCH an awesome plot twist...You should totally put that in there. He could seek guidence and Obi-Wan could come and maybe...I don't know. Tell Luke something about his son...-cough- sorry, it's the writer in me. I come up with story ideas at any given time based on the smallest things.

4. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    This was so sweet! I love the banter between Luke and Mara. Luke's discussion with Ben was also very heart-warming.

This fic is almost like prozac...

and I mean that in a good way.

5. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Cute!!!

Doesn't every kid want to make their parents proud? :) I still think Ben shoulda gone with him...

Wonder what the force has to say...

6. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Wonderful, happy, tender, poignant, funny chapters! [face_love]

My favorite part:

?When you gonna teach me to pilot it?? Ben asked his father with an expectant smile.

?When I am too old to see what we?re about to crash into,? he replied.

[face_laugh]

7. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Excellent post!

Luke hugged his son close, a feeling of pride overwhelming him. He had always known his son was strong in the Force, but moments such as this confirmed it. Wondering what his own father might have felt if he had been around to raise him, he squeezed Ben, who wriggled out of his father?s arms.

?You?re gonna squish me,? Ben protested as the kitling added his own indignant meows.

Awwww..... so sweet. [face_love] Luke's a great dad. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Luke meditates at Ben's hut... [face_thinking] :)

Looking forward to more! :D

8. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    Whoops, I missed a chapter. But yay, I got to read 2 of them without the wait! :D

Chapter 3 hilight:

To him, the dilapidated dwelling had something of a sacred hush to it. He knew it was only his own memory of the man who had lived there that gave it that air, but it was as real to him as the speeder he had piloted here.

This is a really neat detail. It makes perfect sense that Luke's emotions would color the mood of the homestead.

Chapter 4 hilight:

My favorite part was Luke's explanation of the Force to Ben. It was so simplistic, but it described the Force perfectly. :) I also thought it was cool because it sounded very similar to how someone might explain God to a child. Interesting parallel. [face_thinking]

Terrific job, VaderLVR64! @};- This story is so fun--very relaxing, which I certainly need from time to time. ;)

9. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    I agree, this is a wonderful story that really shows the Skywalkers as a family first, and Force sensitive second. Lovely work with the dialogue between father and son. Ben is adorable and believable as a child with talent, but more importantly just a kid! =D=

10. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Lovely story. These 'family moment' fics are my favorites.

11. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Loved this chapter! Luke is a great father, no less than I would expect. Look forward to the next chapter.

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    RenoaStormhaven Thank you! [face_blush] I'm so thrilled that you like it!

RebelMom He may not find what he's looking for, but he'll find what he needs! :)

Katarina42 I've been writing mostly angst lately, so this is a nice change of pace for me. Thanks for reading.

Jesina_Dreis Writing Force sensitive kids is always tricky. You have to make them "aware" without making them miniature adults. I always struggle with it, so I hope it worked here!

Smuggler_Shidakis Thanks! I like him, too!

JediMaster_Jen His visitor will arrive in this post, but the identity is not clear yet. :D Thanks for reading.

RedGold Thank you! I'll take that in the spirit it was intended. I needed a light, fluffy piece so this is the result. I'm glad you like it!

Vingchild Ben still has a way to go before he won't interrupt Daddy's meditation. :D

Jedi_TraceWell, as the mother of teenagers, I can relate to Luke's sentiment!

Knight_Aragorn We shall soon see! But not quite yet. Thanks for reading!

Leia I did want it to be relaxing. A nice little work that was simply about family. I'm glad you like it!

AnakinsHeir Exactly, a family first! [:D]

Jedi2B I like them, too! I'm having a great time writing this one!

LukesTheMan Yeah, I've always thought he would be a great father, too! Thanks!

[i]And now, a short update...[/i]

[b]Chapter 5[/b]

Ben?s old hut seemed even quieter without the childish voice of his son echoing through its empty rooms. Even the dust had settled into lazy whirls that barely moved in the bright sunlight.

Nothing of value was left, but the walls themselves took him back to the day when he had first heard of Obi-Wan Kenobi and his pupil, Anakin Skywalker. Of course, it was then that he first learned of the other, the one who had destroyed his father. In many ways, it was true that Darth Vader had [i]taken[/i] Anakin?s life. He had claimed it in every way possible.

The knowledge that those two men were the same person was years away and it was only now, looking back on it, that Luke could appreciate Ben?s difficulty in deciding what to tell a brash young man and when to do so.

Now, as he was facing telling his own son some hard truths about the family tree, he could appreciate the dilemma that the old Jedi had faced.

Young Ben knew a little bit about Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader. He and Mara had decided when he was still an infant that he had to know the bare facts in order to shield him from those who would delight in sharing the ugly family secret. But as Ben grew older, Luke knew that he would ask more questions and, as his father, he would have to provide answers.

Sometimes he thought that perhaps destroying the Death Star had been easier than deciding what to reveal to his son. It was certainly less scary.

Luke checked the hut to make sure that no more furry visitors had taken up residence since they had been here last week. Luckily, little Obi had not seemed to lure any friends here and every room was deserted.

He slid to his knees, taking several deep breaths. With each exhale, he quieted his mind and stilled his body. Settling his body into a position which would be less likely to leave him with aching limbs, he consciously let go of any residual tension. Such a disciplined reaction was second nature to him now, and the feeling of peace which washed over him was as refreshing as it was familiar.

Deciding that he would not seek out any particular direction, he let the Force take him where it willed. Because time had no meaning when he meditated, he was not sure how long he simply drifted along, going where he was taken. The past, the present, the future, all of it seemed to meld into one constant stream of images that coasted by him. Each image would slowly transform into another, with little rhyme or reason.

He accepted the ever changing flow, seeing every thought and impression as a gift. Here was the face of a frien

13. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    hhhmmmm... who could be talking to Luke?

Update soon?

Please!

I'll bake cookies!

14. Jadie

Jadie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    I bet it's Ani!!! Am I right? Please, say yes!!!
    Good post!

15. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    *agrees with Jadie* Is it Anakin?

Hmm...that would be a good moment to write...I've written about Mara telling Ben that she'd served the Emperor (a somewhat older Ben) and now I'm tempted to write this conversation.

Plot. Bunnies. Everywhere.

But you can take that as a compliment :) I love people who inspire me to write more.

You're doing wonderfully with Luke. I lost a lot of my interest in Luke as the NJO progressed, but Luke as a father is... [face_love]

Jes

16. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    I can't wait to see who the voice belongs to! I'm glad to see an update on this one!

17. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I loved the post, but where's little Ben? :mad: Bring him back!

Okay, tantrum over! :)

18. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Luke, when you hear voices in your head it's usually not a good sign!

Uppers!

More soon? I'll bring popcorn!

19. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    A great chapter! But I am very curious as to who this voice is.

I like seeing the Skywalkers as a pretty normal family. Mara and Luke seem like really good parents. Just as I pictured them.

20. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Ooohh.... who could it be? [face_thinking]

Great chapter, VaderLVR. I liked the insight about Luke understanding more about Ben and the things he did now that he's older - I've never really thought about it like that but I can see how it would be so. :)

21. RenoaStormhaven

RenoaStormhaven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2004
    Ooooh! Moooooore! I want more!

Yay! 100 posts for me! -Does a little dance...by herself.-

22. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    *gasps* Who's talking to Luke?!

Sometimes he thought that perhaps destroying the Death Star had been easier than deciding what to reveal to his son. It was certainly less scary.

*winces* Can you imagine telling your kid that your father was an evil dude who killed lots of people? Ouchie.

23. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Things are never as we expect. Good look at Luke's thoughts. Now I hope it doesn't take long to find out who is talking to Luke.

*leaves really expensive chocolate*

24. Marsa

Marsa Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2004
    Sometimes he thought that perhaps destroying the Death Star had been easier than deciding what to reveal to his son. It was certainly less scary

That is so true!! I worry about the effects my choices will have on my children and I don't even have a husband yet!

I used to baby sit for a Jewish family and one day the son asked me who Hitler was. --That was scarey too!

LOL the Elem. Ed. major in me just had to jump on that great moment.

I love this story! ~Marsa

25. CapNJaxWench

CapNJaxWench Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2004
    Great story, one of those "quiet great ones."

The knowledge that those two men were the same person was years away and it was only now, looking back on it, that Luke could appreciate Ben?s difficulty in deciding what to tell a brash young man and when to do so.

Now, as he was facing telling his own son some hard truths about the family tree, he could appreciate the dilemma that the old Jedi had faced.

Young Ben knew a little bit about Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader. He and Mara had decided when he was still an infant that he had to know the bare facts in order to shield him from those who would delight in sharing the ugly family secret. But as Ben grew older, Luke knew that he would ask more questions and, as his father, he would have to provide answers.

I must say that I love seeing Luke and Mara as parents first, and Jedi second. [face_appalause]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.