main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Child of the Desert- Luke, Mara, Ben- short story, COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    [face_hypnotized]

MARSA!!!!!!!!! *hugs*

2. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    But the voice he heard was not that of his wise old mentor.

Well, now, that's, just...mean. ;)

You probably know who I'm voting for. [face_batting]

*brings offerings of cookies, flowers....merlot?*

:D

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    RedGold All is revealed, at least for the moment!

Jadi Well, I could say yes, but...

Jesina_Dreis It is someone close to him.

LukesTheMan And here you go!

VadersMistress Next post, I promise!

Vongchild Unless you're Force sensitive, and then it may be considered part of the package!

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Ilike them as parents, too!

Knight_Aragorn Hmmm... I don't know who it is! Okay, here you go...

RenoaStormhaven Congrats on the milestone!

Smuggler_ShidakisYeah, talk about awkward!

Marsa Yeah, the parent comes out in me, too! Thanks for reading.

CapNJaxWench Me, too! Thanks!

JediTrace I accept all bribes!

[b]Chapter 6[/b]

Luke opened his eyes and smiled with joy at the sight before him.

?Anakin,? he breathed.

The image of his nephew became clearer and more defined; there was a slightly crooked smile on his face. Anakin shrugged. [i]I wondered if I?d get to come back one day.[/i]

?I?m so happy to see you,? Luke managed. ?I?ve missed?? His words trailed off as a sob welled up within him.

[i]I know.[/i]

Luke breathed a deep sigh of relief. ?I thought you would sense it.?

[i]Remember, the Force is with you always,[/i] Anakin said with his typical humor. [i]And I am always with you, too, Uncle Luke.[/i] The voice was more solemn this time.

?I think that I expected Ben or my father,? Luke said. ?But I [i]needed[/i] it to be you.?

[i]And so I am here.[/i]

?Yes,? he murmured.

[i]Why have you come to Tatooine?[/i]

Luke frowned, the old feelings of loss and grief rising up once more. ?I needed to heal.?

[i]You need to stop feeling guilty is what you need.[/i] Anakin said firmly. [i]That is the first step to healing.[/i]

?I?ve tried.?

[i]And what would Master Yoda say to that particular statement?[/i] his nephew asked with a chuckle.

?He would tell me to do or do not, that there is no try,? Luke said with affectionate smile.

[i]And that is what you should do, simply let go of the guilt you have created and be at peace.[/i]

?But you died.?

[i]As will you one day.[/i]

?But you were so young; it was seemed useless.?

[i]It was anything but useless. My life and my death served a purpose. Surely none of us can ask for anything more than that?[/i]

?We?ve all missed you so much.?

[i]I will always love you all, but here one cannot miss the life left behind.[/i]

?You are happy??

[i]Happy is not the word I would use. I would say that I am complete. We are beyond mere happiness here.[/i]

Luke hesitated, unsure of what to say to his nephew. ?You are not alone there, are you??

[i]Never alone, Uncle. There are many here with me and they will be here to greet you when it is your time.[/i]

?Have you met Obi-Wan??

[i]He was waiting for me.[/i]

?He was?? Luke could almost see the reunion between them.

[i]And your father, he?s here, too.[/i]

?You are not alone.? Luke reaffirmed.

[i]And neither are you.[/i]

?No, I?m not alone any more.?

[i]Tell my parents that I the choice I needed to make; I have found fulfillment. Reassure Jacen he will find his path. And be strong for Jaina, her destiny is not an easy one.[/i]

?Yes, I know. I fear for her, and pity her, too.?

[i]Do no fear for her. She is strong, perhaps the strongest of us all.[/i]

?Yes, she is.?

[i]My time grows short, but?[/i] For the first time, Anakin seemed to hesitate. [i]Watch over Tahiri for me. There was much left unfinished between us. I want her to be happy.[/i]

?You loved her.?

[i]Yes.[/i] Nothing more, nothing less.

?I will, I promise.?

[i]You have earned a time of peace with your family and you must take it. That also is part of your destiny.[/i] His voice became more faint. [i]A season of healing is as much as part of your destiny as battling the Empire was, embrace it.[/i]

?Don?t go!?

[i]My time here is over. I have done what I came to do. Now you must continue on your path, the one given to you.

4. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    See, that kid shouldn't have died...

Stupid NJO...

5. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Wow. Really cool. Anakin seemed very... mature. Sort of ironic that he's the one giving advice, whereas in life he was Luke's apprentice.

6. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Nice reunion with Anakin. I wasn't expecting him, but I like that he was the one to come to Luke.

7. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    Ooh, I really like that Anakin visited him.

A season of healing is as much as part of your destiny as battling the Empire was, embrace it.

[face_thinking] I hadn't considered that. Luke is meant to have this peace. How nice after facing so many struggles. :)

Excellent post, VaderLVR64. =D=

8. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    =D= =D= Wonderful chapter.

The reunion between Luke and Anakin Solo was written so well. It seems fitting that apprentice was the one giving the advice. As Luke said, he needed for Anakin to appear. Hopefully Luke has the closure he needs and can move on and enjoy his family.

9. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Okay, I wasn't expecting that Anakin, but it was a good visit. Luke needs to take his peace.

10. RenoaStormhaven

RenoaStormhaven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2004
    Wow. Anakin is like...Mr. Maturity, which is a good thing. I really liked this scene! WRITE MORE!
    Edit: Wooh! 101 posts!

11. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    wonderful chapter and I can't wait for more

I just found this story and I like it so far

12. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Interesting chapter. Anakin sounded very mature... I guess being dead does that to you.

13. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Oh wow - beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. @};- Wonderful scene!

14. Jadie

Jadie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    Well, to be honest, I was thinking about the other Anakin... but it's alright, cause I like this one too *agrees with Red*
    It is a very cute scene... :)

Talking about cute, I want more Benny!!! He's so sweet!!!

15. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Really liked this post, VaderLVR. I liked the way you did ghostly Anakin -- that he has this otherwordly, enigmatic kind of wisdom. His words to Luke were so beautiful, and the touch about Tahiri... :( So simply put, so powerful. Urgh, he was so young... Why did he have to die?? :_|

Ahem, story, right... :p Very nice post. I love this story's gentle tone. It's very much a pleasure to read. :) Great job!

16. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I was expecting the other Anakin, too! This one was great, also! Wonderful post! :)

17. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Wow! This is AWESOME! :D

It's so good to see the Skywalkers taking it slow and being a family... [face_love]

And we get to see Anakin! Could life be any better? ;)

UP!

18. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    RedGold Stupid NJO is right!

Smuggler_Shidakis Apparently death has a maturing influence, LOL!

Jedi-2B I started to write many people coming to visit Luke, but none of them worked. It had to be Anakin Solo for some reason.

Leia Poor Luke is due for some peace and quiet, don't you think? :)

JediMaster_Jen Yes, Luke needs to heal now more than anything else.

RebelMom Thanks! Anakin seemed to have something to say and wouldn't leave me alone! [face_batting]

RenoaStormhaven I've always thought Anakin would have grown up to be an amazing individual so I sort of matured him for this. I repeat (with RedGold) stupid NJO!

JediFalcon Thanks! And welcome!

Vongchild Yep, it does! :D

JediTrace Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

Jadie I tried to write the other Anakin this scene, I really did. But he just kept saying it was the Solo kid's turn. What could I do?

Knight_Aragorn Thank you. I wanted Anakin to seem more of the other realm, not just a teenager. I'm glad you like this very quiet story.

rhonderoo Thank you so much.

Jaded_Girl Thanks! I like seeing them as a family, too.

[b]Chapter 7[/b]

Luke?s eyes opened and he took a deep breath. A feeling of peace flooded him. It had been so long since he had felt so utterly quiet in his spirit. He came to his feet, grimacing at the slight stiffness of his muscles. He was no longer as young as he used to be and such a long meditation session was not without a small price.

He gathered the small store of supplies that Mara had insisted he bring and walked out into the dark Tatooine night. The soft call of desert birds hunting took him back to his childhood when he would listen to them as he fell asleep. Aunt Beru used to tell him that they were guarding him during his dreams.

Luke missed her quiet wisdom and wondered what she would have thought of his life since he had left these sands. She had probably known much of what his destiny would entail and in her own humble way she had prepared him for it. He knew that much of who he was had come from her loving home. Luke sent up a quick and silent "thank you" to her, and in his heart he knew she heard it.

Hopping into the speeder, he gunned the engines and made his way home.

The little house was silent when he pulled up, but he sensed that Mara was awake. She would keep her vigil in her own subtle way, waiting for his return.

Opening the door, he peered inside. He saw her sitting on a chair, a blanket wrapped around her shoulders to ward off the chill of the desert night. Her eyes opened and a smile brightened her face.

?Welcome home, farmboy,? she whispered huskily. She opened up the blanket and invited him to share it with her. He slid into her embrace quickly, savoring the warmth of her body next to his.

She said nothing for a long while, content just to stroke her fingers through his thick hair. He settled against her, feeling every muscle relax as he gave himself up to her touch. The soft sounds of her breathing lulled him into drowsiness.

?I missed you,? she said.

?I know,? he replied.

She gave his hair a sharp tug. ?Wretch.?

He snuggled closer with a satisfied groan. Mara chuckled and lifted his chin. ?Going to sleep on me?? She asked just before she lowered her mouth to his. The barest hint of a kiss graced his lips.

?I wouldn?t dare,? he murmured against her cheek. ?You?d hurt me.?

?Damn straight, Skywalker,? she said with a grin.

?I missed you, too.?

?Of course you did,? she said haughtily.

He laughed and pulled her mouth down to his once more. ?Tease,? he accused.

?Never.?

Their lips met and Luke cradled her face in his hands. His eyes met hers and he smiled. ?I don?t deserve you.?

?You?re right, you don?t,? she agreed. ?But I?m glad I claimed you anyway.?

One blond eyebrow arched and his blue eyes twinkled. ?[i]You[/i] claimed me? I thought it was the other way around.?

She rolled h

19. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    It's good to know that the heat hasn't gone out of the relationship! :D

20. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Great!!!!

Was that the end? Or....?

You wouldn't! Would you...?

Why is this fic called child of the desert, anyways...?

21. WhosScruffyLooking

WhosScruffyLooking Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2004
    Nice! Luke and Mara still have the old spark!

22. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Lovely romance. Very sweet. I seem to have lost my ability to speak in complete sentences. ;)

23. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Awww... L/M mush. [face_love] Gotta love it. :p Very nice post, VaderLVR64. I liked Luke's thoughts about Beru earlier in the post too -- that was a nice touch. :) Beru gets forgotten too often, I think. Great job! :D

24. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    RedGold Even old marrieds can have fun! [face_devil]

Vongchild Not quite the end. The title comes from the first line of the story.

WhosScruffyLooking Yep, they've still got it! :D

RebelMom I'm usually that way on Mondays! ;) Thanks for reading!

Knight_Aragorn I like Beru and I also think she gets ignored too much! Thank you for reading!

25. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I just caught up with this story. Thanks RedGold for sending me the link.

This is a really nice fic. I like reading about Luke/Mara and Ben without the Vong, evil clones or some other horrible thing complicating their lives.

It is great seeing Luke get some closure with Anakin. He must have felt very guilty in sending the young Jedi on that ill conceived and fatal mission to kill the Voxyn Queen.

I never understood why the Vong just couldn't make more Voxyn even if the Jedi killed every one of them. I mean the Voxyn were bio-engineered from the genetic material of a vornskr and a freo xyn. How hard would it have been to make another queen? I don't think vornskrs are on the endangered species list. RedGold was right when she said "Stupid NJO".

Keep up the good work.

AG88

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.