main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Children of the Red Sun--Final Four Chapters Posted. Complete 10/3/2009!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Marrs, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    Wow! This story was named:

Best Alternate Universe
    Best Action
    Best Drama
    Best Crossover
    Best Series
    and tied for Best Ensemble Cast

Thank you all for your support and your votes, and for reading. I would also like to thank Jedi-2B, who in addition to winning several awards herself for her outstanding Shattered Remembrance, also served as the best beta-reader I could have hoped for.

Children of the Red Sun

A Superman/Star Wars Crossover
    Sequel to [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/25633540/p1/?1]Legacy of the Red Sun[/link]

This story is set during the NJO. Please note that NJO characters from Tattoine will be absent since Tattoine was subjected to a BDZ early in the LORS trilogy. No Darklighter. No Tahiri. Anyone else is fair game.

Disclaimer: Don't own any of it (well, Jor-El and Karia Naberrie are original). I just like to share with my close friends.

I will start posting this story in earnest after Blue Sun Down is complete.

I hope you enjoy.

Prologue: What Should Have Been; What Was

This was not how it was supposed to be. To those that could step outside of time and see the course of destiny originally set, the galaxy was not as it should have been.

A young boy named Luke Skywalker should have grown to brilliant manhood. This boy was destined to become the last of the old Jedi and the first of the new. He was to help lead the forces of Light against the legions of the Dark. He was supposed to change the galaxy forever and live to a ripe old age before passing gently into the Force with his son at his side, and the ghost of his beloved wife awaiting him on the other side with open arms.

That is what should have happened.

Owen Lars was not supposed to swerve his landspeeder away from the large womprat that crossed his path. He should not have lost control of his speeder and driven it into a rock formation at two hundred kilometers an hour.

Luke Skywalker should not have died as a youth, cut down before his light could shine.

That is not what was supposed to happen. And yet, to those eyes looking from outside of time, that is exactly what did happen. If those eyes were to look away from this galaxy, far far away, they would see that at the exact moment Owen cursed and Beru cried out in terrified alarm while a beautiful young boy looked up from his toy skyhopper, a small ship?s course altered by a fraction of a millimeter. This minor change, caused by the pulsing radiation output of a nearby pulsar, caused the tiny ship to fall into a black hole.

No craft made by those in the Corusca galaxy could have survived such an ordeal, but this was not a craft made by those mere mortals in this galaxy. The tiny craft emerged from a white hole intact and untouched twenty eight galaxies off course, and crashed onto a desert planet within earshot of the very home that once housed Luke Skywalker.

The Jedi within, caught in mourning for the young hope that was to lead the galaxy, stumbled out into the darkness to discover a child unlike any he could ever imagine.

Thus the Force restored the balance. A new Chosen One was selected. A new destiny was shaped, and a new hero emerged.

This was not how it was supposed to be, but this is what came to be.

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Please put me on your PM list! I already know I'm going to like this. **looks at author** Yes, I KNOW I will! :D

=D=

3. Jedi_Aurelan_Carter

Jedi_Aurelan_Carter Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2007
    I agree, please put me on the PM list as well, I cant wait...[face_hypnotized]

4. cggunnersmate

cggunnersmate Jedi Master star 1

Jul 24, 2007
  5. TigerofRobare

TigerofRobare Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 11, 2006
    Woohooo another Darth_Marrs story!

*Dances in the streets*

Add me to the pm list, please?

6. Kevin_Solo

Kevin_Solo Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 22, 2007
    Great to read that the sequel's begun![face_dancing] Please put me on your PM list, Darth_Marrs!

The prologue was good. I particularly liked this bit:

No craft made by those in the Corusca galaxy could have survived such an ordeal, but this was not a craft made by those mere mortals in this galaxy. The tiny craft emerged from a white hole intact and untouched twenty eight galaxies off course, and crashed onto a desert planet within earshot of the very home that once housed Luke Skywalker.

The Jedi within, caught in mourning for the young hope that was to lead the galaxy, stumbled out into the darkness to discover a child unlike any he could ever imagine.

Thus the Force restored the balance. A new chosen one was selected. A new destiny was shaped, and a new hero emerged.

The Force certainly picks interesting Chosen Ones! o_O

7. L0B0

L0B0 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2008
    :cool:

A sequel to LORS?

Count me in for sure =P~

8. Darth_Marrs

Feb 24, 2006
    VaderLVR64-Your preternatural ability to be the very first post on my stories is at one flattering, impressive and a little frightening. Thank you for hopping on the right?I?m thrilled as always to have you be the first addition to the PM list.

Jedi_Aurelan_Carter?Gladly. Thanks for reading!

Cggunnersmate?You are indeed. Thanks!

TigerofRobare?Consider yourself added. Anyone who dances in the street is a wonderful addition to a PM list.

Kevin_Solo?Done! Glad to have you aboard.

LOBO?On. I?m still occasionally having some PM problems with you as you know, but you?re on the list and I?ll keep trying!

9. Darth_Marrs

Feb 24, 2006
    Author's Note: It was not an easy decision to write this. I say that because after forcing myself through half of the NJO I can confirm my initial opinion of the NJO. I did not like it. Not one bit. Still don't. So the idea of writing a story set during the same chronology as the NJO presented a quandry for me. However, I honestly felt the story wasn't done yet. That there had to be a consquence for Kale's actions. And so, I present chapter one of Children of the Red Sun, in which we learn that pretty people do indeed have pretty children, and that Kyp Durron is a big fat idiot.

Chapter One: The Jedi Order

Karia sat with her legs crossed and her elbows resting on her knees. ?I still wish dad could have come,? she said.

From the pilot?s seat, she heard her mother snort. Mara Jade Naberrie left the ship on autopilot as it soared through hyperspace, and walked back into the hold until she sat across from her daughter. ?Kale?s place is on Naboo,? she said. ?You know he?s never felt comfortable anywhere else.?

?You leave all the time.?

?I don?t feel comfortable anywhere,? Mara said with a self-deprecating laugh.

Karia chose not to respond and continued her sulk.

?Pouting does not become you,? Mara said with a hint of steel in her voice.

?It?s just, Jor said?? She stopped when she saw her mother?s expression.

?Jor said what??

?He said he didn?t really like it at the Temple. He said people weren?t nice to him.?

?Jor?s almost seventeen years old,? Mara said. ?He?s nearly a man. He?s older than your father was when he fought his first Sith Lord. He can handle himself. Besides, I thought he liked Master Katarn.?

?He does,? Karia said quickly. ?It?s the others.?

Mara merely nodded. ?You mean Jacen and Jaina??

Karia looked down with a guilty flush.

?If you truly want to be a Jedi,? Mara said, ?then you are going to have to learn how to handle the negative emotions as well as the positive ones. And Jacen and Jaina don?t have any darkness in them. They just don?t understand.?

?Yes, Mother,? Karia said. It was her passive-aggressive signal that she was done with the conversation.

Mara decided that was as good a time as any to end it. ?So, are you excited about seeing Coruscant??

Karia?s expression did brighten a little.

?Good,? Mara said, ?because we?re almost there.?

In fact, the navcomp started beeping at her just a second later. The two Naberrie women walked to the cockpit and took seats as the ship reverted to real space. Almost immediately their ship was hailed.

?Incoming shuttle, this is Coruscant civilian control. Identify and state your destination.?

?Control, this is the Jade?s Fire en route for the Jedi Temple.?

?Acknowledged, Jade?s Fire. We will alert the temple to your approach. Vector in at 2.456 mark 4.278.?

?Acknowledged, control. Vectoring at 2.456 mark 4.278. Jade?s Fire out.?

Karia ignored the exchange as she sat looking down at the most brightly lit planet she had ever seen. The night side sparkled so brilliantly it was difficult to imagine there being any unlit surface area at all. As they crossed the terminator into day, her breath caught in her throat.

There were so many ships coming and going, so many orbital platforms and structures bridging the gap between surface and space, she could hardly believe it. Mara merely grinned as they continued their approach to the surface.

Her com crackled again. ?Mara, that better be you,? a familiar voice said.

?Who else, you big lug?? Mara said. ?I?ve brought Leia?s new apprentice.?

?Another Naberrie? Force preserve us!? the voice said. ?Your son has almost been the death of me.?

?Is that why you taught him to play sabacc?? Mara said.

?Had to be able to beat him at something,? the speaker said without a hint of penance in his voice. ?He doesn?t play any better than his old man. Speaking of, is he with you??

?What do you think??

?No, I suppose not. I?ll be on the

10. TigerofRobare

Jan 11, 2006
    That was great. Why did Kale go?

11. skreed01

skreed01 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 15, 2007
    As Kale himself stated in the end of Legacy, He is to powerful. He in essence did not, and I am assumeing does not want the Galaxy to be dependent on him and his abbilities to save the day. Which is if you remember from the Superman movie The reason Kal-El was sent to Earth. Not nessacerially to be dependent on him, but for him to show us how to be a great people.

12. Jedi_Aurelan_Carter

Jedi_Aurelan_Carter Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2007
    Great Post Darth...I think you got the children's characters down pat =D=

13. L0B0

Jan 4, 2008
    Author's Note: It was not an easy decision to write this. I say that because after forcing myself through half of the NJO I can confirm my initial opinion of the NJO. I did not like it. Not one bit. Still don't. You and me both. Don't get me wrong though - I think the concept of alien invaders bent on galactic domination brought about through bizarre living technology was a great idea. They (canon) just made an awful mess of it. I have no doubt that you will improve on their deficiency.

?Another Naberrie? Force preserve us!? the voice said. ?Your son has almost been the death of me.?
    I hope that isn't ominous foreshadowing I detect in the subtext...

Mara turned around and stared at the wall directly at where Karia was looking. ?She?s watching us through the wall and listening to every word we say, though she?ll pretend she doesn?t have those powers yet.?
    Caught in the act. Much to learn, she still has.

Han merely shook his head and slapped his son against the back of his head. ?Idiot,? he said. ?Never compare women?s chests out loud. It?s just asking for trouble.?
    LOL [face_laugh]

Come to think of it, Jor & Karia aren't technicaly related to the Solo kids at all in this fic, and Tahiri doesn't exist...

?I?m sorry about your accident,? Mara said softly to Jor. ?I know it must have been hard.?

Jor shrugged. ?I could have picked the ship up and thrown it off the edge of the platform, but I couldn?t take off without hitting a stupid statue. Jacen didn?t stop laughing at me for a week.?

I don't like Jacen already.

Good stuff Marrs. Somehow, I think that the galaxy stands a much better chance against the Vong with Superman and a Jedi Order led by Leia & Kyle. Interesting that the Jedi seem suspicious of the Kryptonians...

14. cggunnersmate

Jul 24, 2007
    Yes, it doesn't seem to bode well for this Jedi Order if they're already so arrogant and less open minded to be resentful of the Kryptonians and their abilities. I'm sure their also intimidated and a little jealous but a Jedi should be above such things. Hopefully Leia and Kyle can straighten them out. The New Republic SHOULD do much better against the Vong with three Kryptonian Jedi on their side. Unless the NR Senate is as impotent as they were in the EU. It will also depend on when Kale decides to get involved and how long he may try to hold his children back.

It'll be interesting to see what the Vong make of Kale and his children. They had such a strong reaction just to the Jedi, wait til they run into someone that could chuck one of their World Ships into a star.

I just hope Mr. Mxyzptlk doesn't show up. lol

15. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Han merely shook his head and slapped his son against the back of his head. ?Idiot,? he said. ?Never compare women?s chests out loud. It?s just asking for trouble.?

Trust Han to get right to the heart of the matter! :D

=D=

16. dajohu

dajohu Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    Please add me to your pm list for this one. I'm eagerly waiting to see what you do to improve the abysmal NJO and knowing you, you'll do an awesome job of it. :)

-dajohu

17. Darth_Marrs

Feb 24, 2006
    TigerofRobare?As Skreed pointed out, it?s a continuation of the end of LORS. Kale left the war after the death of the Emperor in fear of becoming too powerful. He has lived a relatively peaceful life on Naboo ever since.

Skreed01?Pretty much.

Jedi_Aurelan_Carter?Thank you, and thanks for reading.

LOBO?You summed it up pretty well. It wasn?t the idea that was bad, just the execution. As for the Jedi and the Naberries?there is a deep resentment there that comes to the fore later on. And truthfully, as both author and reader, I understand where it comes from.

Cggunnersmate?There is a story behind the resentment I hinted at, and you?ll see as the story goes on. The Vong will definitely take note of the Kryptonians. However, Mr. Mxyzptlk does not make an appearance in this story.

VaderLVR64?Exactly! And trust Leia to have many words about it afterward with her two wayward-minded men. [face_beatup]

Dajohu?Done. I hope my skills are up to your expectations!

18. Darth_Marrs

Feb 24, 2006

This isn't my favorite chapter, but like the canon NJO, it takes a bit for things to start happening.

Chapter Two: The Beltrunner

?So this is the son of Kale Naberrie?? Lando Calrissian said with a long, appraising look. ?I see a certain resemblance. Can you throw around star destroyers yet??

Jor ground his teeth. It was a question he heard all too often. ?I can?t say I?ve tried,? he said.

From behind Jor, Jedi Knight Kyp Durron laughed a little too loudly and slapped Jor playfully on the back. Jor did not move; Kyp pretended not to notice and Lando just shrugged.

?Well, if you?ve come to learn how to fly, Lando?s Folly is the best place to do it,? Calrissian said. ?The shield and repulsor technology here is more advanced than anything either the Empire or the New Republic has. Once you?re in one of our modified TIE Interceptors, you?re as safe as in a simulator but with the advantage of experiencing real flight.?

?I?ve been training my entire squadron on it,? Kyp added. He nodded proudly to his apprentice, Miko Reglia. In the day since Kale arrived on a Jedi transport shuttle, the apprentice had not said three words to him. It seemed the shame of a Jedi coming on a shuttle was almost too much for Reglio to bear.

?So, you want to give it a try?? Lando asked.

?I?m here to learn,? Jor said.

The Wookiee roared something. Beside him, a hovering semi-sentient translator droid said, ?Hello. My name is Lowbacca of Kashyyk.?

Karia looked up from her meal, and then looked up some more at the towering Wookiee and smiled. Lowbacca was impossible to miss. Not only was he the tallest Jedi apprentice, he was also the only Wookiee. She held out a hand and watched as it disappeared into a furry grip. ?Karia Naberrie.?

?Honored to meet you,? the droid translated. ?May I join you??

Karia sighed with relief. It had been a week. Her mom left to run an errand for Master Solo, and in all that time Karia had eaten alone at mealtime. ?I would be honored,? Karia said.

Lowbacca shuffled into a sitting position and started shoveling foot into his maw. Karia had never met a Wookiee, but she knew several Gungans and was used to non-human table manners. She ate as well.

When every spec of food was removed from his tray, Lowbacca let out an air-shattering belch to show his appreciation for the meal, and grinned a toothy grin. ?You are the cub of Kale Naberrie.?

?I am.?

?The Wookies give much honor to Clan Naberrie. As much as to Clan Solo. It is good for you to be here.?

Karia wished she could agree, but it did not really feel good. The other apprentices stared at her without welcome, and she found herself more lonely than at any other time in her lonely life. ?Thank you,? she said simply.

?Have you learned much??

Even in her studies, Karia did not feel very comfortable. Her parents were both trained Jedi, and so she grew up using Jedi meditation and other Force skills. She was here for her formal education in the Force, but so far she had attended only a few classes on history and mathematics. Master Leia had not had time to give her any in depth training.

?I suppose I haven?t gotten started yet,? Karia said.

Lowbacca nodded. ?Master Solo is very busy. She has not taken an apprentice in five years. Perhaps Master Katarn can be of assistance while Jor is away.?

Karia grinned. That was the most brilliant idea she had ever heard. After the meal, Karia made her way up through the central tower to the administrative offices where Leia did most of her work. She dared a brief glimpse through the walls to make sure her aunt was there, and then asked Leia?s secretary for a meeting.

The door opened immediately. ?Karia!? Leia said kindly. She looked tired, but otherwise happy. ?Come in! I?m sorry I haven?t had time to start your formal training yet.? She led the way back into her office as she spoke, and settled behind a large slate desk covered in two terminals and a pile of datapads and flimsies.

?That?s what

19. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Okay, you most DEFINITELY have to put me on the PM list!! Well, only if you feel like it, of course. [face_praying] :D

I'm loving this!!

- Serena

20. dajohu

dajohu Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    Awesome! I am so glad you brought Corran into this fic. He is my favorite jedi by far in the post-movies era and I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles the training. I've always disliked Kyp and your portrayal of him hasn't changed my opinion which is a good thing. Loving it so far! :D

-dajohu

21. TigerofRobare

Jan 11, 2006
    Excellent chapter. I like how everything parallels Vector Prime. But I don't think that moon is hitting that planet this time--A Naberrie will be there.

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm always glad to see Corran in a fic. It looks like this story will measure up to your usual HIGH standards! :D

=D=

23. L0B0

Jan 4, 2008
    Wookiees are better people than humans sometimes.

Corran training Karia sounds like a great idea.

I'm not sure what to make of Jor and his trouble with the Force yet, but my guess is that Kyp is only going to be a bad influence for the young man.

24. cggunnersmate

Jul 24, 2007
    Yes, Jor's troubles grasping the Force seem similar to Kale's before he nearly died at the Valley of the Jedi. I wonder if he'll have to go through something similar, hopefully his little fit of anger won't mean he'll stray towards the dark side. I do want to know what caused the Jedi apprentices to dis-like the Nabberie children so much.

25. skreed01

skreed01 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 15, 2007

I Think it has more to do with the fact the he does'nt trust himeself to open up fully to the force. You see unlike Kale, who was born outside the Star wars galaxy, and therefore never really a part of the force. Both of his children where born as a part of the galaxy, and where born after Kale himself accepted the force and became a part of the galaxy as a whole rather than just an outsider. Plus add to the fact that their Mother Mara is a full fledged Jedi herself trust me they have the force in spades. Anyhow that is just my two cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.