main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Chilla's stuff: Return from Hiatus w/ wallpapers (Jaina, Tenel Ka, Mara/Luke, LotR) page 22

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Chilla, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    hehe, that's cool :D

If I could draw any more than stick figures (and I've done stick figures with lekku :p) I'd draw nothing else than Twi'lek Jedi ;)

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hi Chilla, and sorry I've been AWOL lately (personal RL junk...). I've missed quite a few new pieces, so I'll try to get myself caught up now!

"Jaina w/ Lightning"--a good figure study once again, with good proportions. Her pose is good for what you intended for the drawing, but again, try to note positions of legs and feet: if she's getting ready to throw Force-lightning at someone, she's probably going to be facing pretty much forward, with both knees and feet facing forward as well. Once again--take a look at catalogs and magazines with full-body pictures of women, and study the positioning of their legs and feet. Drawing from those types of pictures can also help you to get a better feel for the forms of the figure, and how they relate and move together. I really like how you've rendered the lightning here (I'm too much of a coward to try anything like that! Too hard!), and the tension in her hand and her body are very convincing. You've done a great job with her hair, too--nice movement there! And don't be afraid to shade in--it helps to give volume and depth to the figures and faces. I can see you've done some shading with this one, but don't be afraid to get in there and really "cast some shadows." Again--look at yourself in the mirror, or at photographs, and study the way shadows fall on the face and on the body. This is another good drawing of Jaina (although, I'm a bit leery of her throwing Force-lightning... [face_worried])!

"Colored X-wing vs. Coralskipper"--I like this a lot! It looks like the two ships are fighting "in atmosphere" here, with Jaina watching tensely from the ground (and wanting to be up there, no doubt!). Nice colors near the horizon, with the sort of rainbow-effect we might see through a heavy mist at sunset--good depiction of the light on Jaina as well (re: her shadow on the ground). Nicely done!

"The Skywalkers"--Very nice compostion with this one! I like the way you "scribed" Darth Vader on the helmet, and then put all of his descendants into the dark areas. And since we don't actually have a "picture" of Ben, I think it's okay that you omitted him! ;)

"Colored Jaina-from-Leia"--A very nice rendering! It's a difficult facial angle to work from, with the face turned down and to the side a bit, but you've done a good job with it! I like the coloring, too--very much like her mother! Working from other drawings, and from photographs, can really help the skills along, so I encourage you to continue to do this!

The piece for TwilekJedi--Much better shading here, particularly on her face (is this Mara...?)--it's much easier to see the planes of the face below the cheekbones, and the shadows of her hair on her forehead. I rather like the pose here, with her body sort of in movement to the right of the page, while she's looking back to the left--and the almost "squinting" expression says that something's not quite right in this moment. A suggestion about hands (which are the bane of my existence...sigh)--I'm including a link here to a great tutorial about drawing the hands--hopefully it'll explain it better than I can! I made a copy of both the tutorial pages and keep them with me now whenever I try to draw hands!

I'm really glad you're doing so much drawing, Chilla, and are working on trying new approaches and techniques. Keep it up, and let's see some more!

FF

3. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Thanks FF,
    I looked at your link and it really helps. :)

To the TwilekJedi pic:
    I was just drawing around on a piece of paper and on the edge of it I drew a head. The hair was strange so I made it to lekku, cause suddenly I remembered TwilekJedis's name..... :D

4. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    FalconFan gave some outstanding critique. Isn't she the awesome?

The last couple of pieces are showing improvement. 'The Jaina in colour' facial portrait has a lot of character and expression, and as was said earlier, the angle of it adds some challenge to the drawing, but you managed it well.

The proportion on your standing TwilekJedi is pretty accurate, and I like how you handled her lightsaber.

5. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Thanks Wicktone, the "TwilekJedi" pic was really just for fun, but it seems that all like it.....

6. Genimay

Genimay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I love all the pics and Jaina is my fav charater too. I hope to see more pics soon!

7. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Yeah, I have lots of ideas in my head, but unfortunetly I have no idea how to put them on a paper....Most pics where just heads and when I saw that they looked good, I drew a body under them....
    Thanks Genimay! I promise I'll work on more.

8. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Just a little drawing of a young Mara.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/3682/youngmara5dd.jpg

9. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Chilla--I wanted to leave a reply to your latest piece!

I like this very much--a wonderful expression on her face, very introspective, as though she's thinking very hard about something important...

I'm leaving a link for you, to how to place features on an "invented" face, here--it's basically a rough "guide" you can apply to any face you ever draw, helping to place the facial features (eyes, nose, mouth, ears) on any head. Make a copy, and keep it handy when you draw (and keep it with you while you study photos of faces/heads--it'll make more sense if you have both to refer to while you study). You're doing a better job of it all the time, but using guides like this can help speed the process along. Be careful about how the neck descends from the head--usually there's a slight inward curve to the line of the neck, rather than outward. I like her eyes (although the irises--the colored part of the eye--seem to be a bit large--take a good long look in the mirror at your own eyes for help with the size of the iris)--they're very expressive. You've done a nice drape with her hair, as well--it looks very natural. A nice drawing, Chilla--keep up the good work!

FF

10. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    yes, the iris is very big...maybe she's tired of all the hard thinking....

Thanks for the link, I took a look at it and it's again a very useful link (like the one with the hands). Unfortunetly (it seems to me that it is one of my fav. words, I use it very often) I can't print it today, the balck color cartridge is empty.....

11. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Had a lot to do for school and less time to draw fanarts (except in school lessons). That is the reason why it's so quiet here.
    But I have two new things: a wallpaper and a Mara Fanart.

I drew the mara fanart on my college block......you can see it.....

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/7618/marajadecollegeblockversion5rb.jpg

wallpaper.....have done it with photoshop and I like it. Is my new background.

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/9783/newjainawallpaper6dw.jpg

Lissa told me that she had problems with the size of my Jaina wallpapers (sorry, don't know exactly which you mean), so I changed the size of them to 800x600.

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/5622/jainasolo800x6006tn.jpg

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/1475/jainasolo2800x6003mp.jpg

Oh, btw: I think I should show you the Original of the wookiehut Jaina wallpaper so you know what I have changed.

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/8982/jainasolosm1xx.jpg

In my oppinion, the wallpaper is very good, but Jaina is on the wrong side and I don't like the small pictures.

12. padawanlissa

padawanlissa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I like your new wallpaper:)

Having the others in 800x600 helps quite a bit:) Thanks!

13. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    I'm glad I could help you.I love my new wallpaper, although I'm not so happy about the white background, but maybe it's the best for it.

14. aurrasingrules101

aurrasingrules101 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    ooh, you do you really good jaina pictures. i like the one where she's tilting her head. are you a J/J shipper? do a J/J one. i bet it'd be awesome.

15. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    thx for your comment, aura! [:D]
    I'm totally neutral, I'm neither for Jag, Kyp nor Zekk. But since I read Dark Journey (just came out in German), I think propably Jag is the best for her.

I have two new wallpapers:

Jaina as a pilot

Faces of Jaina Solo

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Blast!! I missed some more in here! :oops: Sorry Chilla--RL has been a bugger for me lately!

I like the wallpapers in your earlier post--I myself prefer to see "uncluttered" wallpapers, with just a few well-chosen, well-placed images. These definitely fall into that category. I like the "ghosting" of the larger image, with the smaller, foreground image being crisp--very nice. And in "The Faces of Jaina Solo"--are any of those drawings yours, by chance? I like the beautiful sky that dominates the image, it seems appropriate for a pilot, somehow!

On the drawing you did of Mara on your notebook--it came up very fuzzy on my screen, but it actually appears to be very well-proportioned. You've been using those links/guides, I see! ;)
    I still use guides like that, particularly when I'm "inventing" a face or a body for a drawing!

Nice additions, Chilla! Keep up the good work! :D

FF

17. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    thx, FF! [:D]

To Faces of Jaina Solo : the fanart on the right is mine, but it looks terrible next to the others.....
    And I also love the sky there, somehow I have a weakness for sunsets and the sea......

I'm trying to do more, but it isn't easy, have less time for it, but I promise to work on more - especially the J/J pic.

I'm glad you like it! @};-

18. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    I can't believe what I've done.......I just wanted to draw Estira, a character from the fanfic "Children of the Force"..........

Estira

Well, the Original looks better, had problems with scanning the picture.

19. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Beautiful! Chilla you are showing so many wonderful advances. The eyes are esp nice, they seem to peer up coyly at you. And the slightly parted lips? Perfect!

20. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    My inspiration was a picture of Stefanie Berger, there was a small image of her on a CD cover. But Estira doesn't look very much like her.

And a sketch of a jedi:

Nameless Jedi

21. MASTERANNIE

MASTERANNIE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    this last one was really cool! i didn't know you could draw so well! =D= I like all of them, compliments, Chilla!:D

22. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Hey your drawings are really improving with time, its really great to see!
    You should colour or shade more of your drawings cuz they would look really good if you did! I love the one that you did colour! :)
    I love your drwaing Estira, its definatly your best portrait in my opinion, I'd love to see that in colour!
    Your flowing pencil lines in your drwaings give them a good sense of movement, especially in the 'nameless jedi', the way the hair apears to be flowing is really good!
    Keep up the good work, and practise makes perfect! Or at least it makes improvements lol :p

23. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Thx very much, Annie and Esira

I agree that Estira is definetly my best portrait and I've already thought about colouring it.

Nameless jedi was just one of the "pencil + blank piece of paper = jedi" pictures. Just found a pencil when I scanned Estira.......

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, Chilla, I have to agree with everyone here: Estira is just wonderful! The shape and proportions of the head and face are beautiful, and really demonstrate that you've been hard at work, studying these! Lovely! I like her expression here--as Z mentioned, sort of a coy, out-the-top-of-her-eyes kind of look, which is punctuated beautifully by the parted lips. Her nose is shaped and drawn very well, and the shading you've added really gives it "dimension" from the planes of her cheeks--well done! I think the only thing I could suggest here would be to look at the lips in the reference picture you used, and add in some more shading there: depending upon the lighting, there is usually a shadow on the top lip, as it angles back in. Take a look there and see if you can see what I'm blathering about! A great portrait!

Your "Nameless Jedi" has a very dynamic pose, with her saber in both hands and swung far back--excellent! The figure proportions look good here, with the arms, legs and body being just about right. The back of her head, I think, could be rounded out a touch more (but just a touch, mind you--imagine her bald, and think about what shape her head would be then...?), and the angle of her feet to her lower legs looks a bit awkward (tipped "up" a little bit too far, I think, so it looks like she might be standing on her heels...)--but these are very minor "gripes." Overall it's a great, quick study of a figure in motion, and I think, from your description, that's what it was meant to be!

It is so much fun to see how quickly you're progressing with your drawing--you are improving so fast, and are making great strides with every piece you put up! Keep up the wonderful work, Chilla! =D=

FF

25. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Thx FF! As always, your post really helps me.
    Well, my reference for Estira was...or is....small, very small...
    Maybe I should post it here.
    Unfortunetly imageshack has problems with uploading it.......

Okay, here you go! The shaded version.
    Estira
    I like her eyes, they look mysterious.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.