main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Chilled Monkey Brains!!!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Southbank, Thursday Night, 7 or 9.[face_monkey][face_cowboy][face_monkey]

2. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    6.40 session seems to go. I'll be buying my ticket for that.

3. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Can't say with absolute certainty I'll be there, but if there's more interest in the 6:40 South Bank session and circumstances permit, I'll book a ticket to that.

4. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Eh? Monkey brains? I'm going to just assume you mean Indiana Jones and I've missed a joke somewhere along the line (Can't brain today - I has the dumb).

If so, myself, my work-friend Aleshia, the Shogun and maybe Elspeth will be along tonight for the 6:40 session at Southbank.

5. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    [image=http://www.davepye.com/images/monkeybrains.jpg]

6. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Riiiight then. Well, in my general defence, I haven't had the opportunity to sit down and watch these movies in years. This is unfortunate, and marathon of the movies should be done ASAP.

7. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Saw it this morning on account of being unavailable this evening. It's good, naysayers be damned. I think all the negative reviews I read were by men who just want to beat up on Uncles George and Steven and their good friend Harrison.

It's an Indiana Jones film, what more do you need to know? Enjoy it.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

8. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Bother. There aren't enough free tickets to book online. I might show up if I can get there early enough. Otherwise I might be antisocial and catch it in the morning.

9. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Caught me the half-nine session.. still packed.

In any case, I thought it was a good adventure ride in it's own right. Plus I've got time for Cate Blanchett reading a Chinese restaurant menu.. let alone camping it up 'Madam Olga' style. A similar feel to Lethal Weapon 4, as far as Indy and company feeling the 'passage of time', etc. Not quite the rollicking pace of Indianas past, but it keeps moving along at a decent clip. The 'passing of the torch' phrase has been thrown around by a few.. I guess the jury's still out on that one. That Lebouef kid's every-frakin-where ain't he??? All in all, Indy 4 was far from a wasted Thursday night.. rather, it wound up presenting a worthy enough bookend to one of the most iconic sagas from my childhood.

7.5/10

PS - Kinda bummed they couldn't fit Short Round in there somewhere.:(

10. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I enjoyed it. It was pretty good fun. Shia didn't annoy me as much as I thought he might do, so that's nice. I think my only issues with it were the complete and utter lack of Nazis (although on the flip side, we did have Russians), and that Indy somehow survives a nuclear explosion by hiding in a lead-lined fridge. I can only suspend my disbelief so far. It was a nuclear bloody explosion! Ahem.

But yeah - rollicking good time had by all.

11. Darth_Aranel

Darth_Aranel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    As much as i hate to say this, nearly everything listed above was much the cause of my sleepless night. I don't usually walk out of a movie confused, much less feel betrayed by someone i owe much of my childhood happiness too. I remember thinking i felt very uneasy about the trailer with it's very second rate CGI work, but talked myself out of the doubt, having seen Iron man the fortnight before. ILM was heavily involved in that (according to the credits) and that CGI was some of the best i have ever seen, so what did i have to worry about right?

I wish now that i hadn't gone and seen this, i really do. Initially i missed the Nazis, then Indy survived seeing a mushroom cloud at point blank range. About the time Indy was given a happy ending with a bristly looking broom in the shower and the Janitor from Scrubs questioning his loyalties is where i sank into my seat. Marlin Brando wannabe turned up with an angry attitude, and the rest is pretty much a blur.

I actually know paritally what is was like the the original SW fans to grow up, wait 20 years for a new one, then pretty much pay to be kicked in the nuts by the great bearded one. What happened to him over the last 20 years that made him lose that unique touch that left a perminant mark on film making forever after? I don't remember the last time it actually hurt to watch a movie like that. Some of my earliest memories are of watching raiders on the tv, wearing a ratty old acoubra and screaming at everyone to not talk through "indiana man"

I hope this franchise is not continued and is left to die quietly in the shade.

12. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Somebody else directed, somebody else wrote the script, and there were 3 people including Lucas who worked on the story. Not everything that goes wrong in a Lucasfilm movie is George's fault.

Is this so unbelievable in a movie where people have had their faces melted off and their still beating hearts torn out?

I really enjoyed this movie. It was as fun as ever, and that's all it needed to be. A man in a hat hit things with a whip. What more could you want from an Indy movie?

13. Darth_Aranel

Darth_Aranel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    My apologies for having a differing opinion, i wasn't aware there wasn't two lines to choose from.

14. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    You're totally entitled to your opinion mate.
    I just saw it and enjoyed it.

I knew it wasn't going to be more of Temple of Doom or Raiders, but Crusade took a different tack to the first two...too.

The Aliens stuff was good, I liked that story. A bit less the family stuff, but I agree with the above, Shia annoyed me very little (in comparison to Transformers, where he irked me (although that was the character too).

Not sure what you mean by Brando, DA? Mutt had plenty of Student/apprentice emerge in him, before the 'Junior' stuff kicked in.

Things I liked:
    - The Wilhelm in the Library (was there another?)
    - The "Junior" references.
    - Using an inflatable boat as a parachute/riding a nuke in a lead-lined Fridge. You've got to admit that's only crazy enough for Indy to get away with.
    - "I've got a bad feeling about this."
    - AAAAAAAAANNNNNTS!

Was waiting for the bit where Indy just reaches for his pistol instead of a fight - kinda missed that bit.

I'm giving it a 7 too.

15. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Just saw it too and enjoyed it far more than I was expecting.

Actually felt very Indy to me, after about 10 minutes in the beginning where I wasn't so sure.

It was silly, and funny, and incredulous. Indy was just cool enough. Junior wasn't so annoying, although I kind of liked Shia in Transformers too. Like the emotion he puts in and shows.

I suspended belief and enjoyed the ride. Found myself laughing at some of the dumber stuff but felt like I was enjoying it with the movie makers and cast. Didn't hate any of it, and felt like they didn't hurt the original 3 at all.

8/10

16. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    The first shot of 'Mutt', on his sickle...
    It's a strikingly clear homage to an early Brando in "The Wild One".
    [image=http://speakup.ig.com.br/collection/imagens/191_brando_01.jpg]

17. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    I see.
    :)

Homage, then?

Oh!! I forgot - did anyone see Speilberg & Lucas' cameo?
    *googles*

18. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    I didn't have a single issue I could place above nitpicking level. To list them would be to systematically dismantle the fun. And fun it is. Wonderfully, brilliantly fun. This was the same world, the same characters, the same Indy on practically every level.

Indy 4 doesn't suffer from Awkward And Unnecessary Fourth Film Syndrome because it was never constructed as a trilogy. That's harder to grasp when you've grown up with the Indy franchise as a fully formed entity. (It's also why the second generation of Star Wars fans were never as fussed by the Ewoks. They were always there.) This movie reaffirms it: Dr. Jones has starred in dozens, perhaps hundreds of adventure serials over the years. We only get to see a few. And honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing another.

Matt and I spoke about the film yesterday, and we do actually see eye-to-eye. The film was at its best when it captured the spirit of the series, and at its worst when it deviated from it. The difference of opinion comes down to the differing final tallies.

Oh, and the implied backstory of Indy investigating the Roswell crash? That is just plain cool.

Thanks, ants.
    Thants.

19. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Obviously I enjoyed it, but I've had time to digest it, and also a terminal to post from, so here I am.

This is Indy by way of a 50s B-Grade sci-fi film, as much as the previous films were by way of the old Republic Serials. And somehow it works, though I'll admit things like Fate of Atlantis' psychics and Infernal Machine's interdimensional aliens make it easier.

Things I loved about this film:

The stakes aren't minor; but the prize is; Indy's not after a hugely important artifact like in Raiders or Crusade.

As HB has already stated, this is a persistant universe, but I'm saddened we've missed so much of it.

Indy has matured; more often than not he refers to himself and lets himself be referred to as "Henry", having somewhat set aside his childhood nickname of 50+ years.

Despite no longer being an object of adoration amongst the female student body of Barnett College, Professor Jones is still clearly popular with the students as an academic, and they care about what happens to him and his opinion on educational matters.

Despite reviews stating the contrary, Indy isn't indestructable in this film. Ignoring the nuke for the pulp reasons already stated (I look forward to the Mythbusters episode about that, and even so, how awesome was that shot of the Man in the Hat looking up at that cloud? :p), his major foe is a man not much younger than himself, and he doesn't get dragged under a truck (try watching that scene from Belloq's perspective, it's hilarious!), fight the entirety of a Death Cult with his bare hands, or take on a tank. Yet still, the film manages to be exciting. Also bear in mind, Indiana Jones is 58 in this film, not the 64 of Harrison Ford.

The 50s vibe is great; proof that despite his naysayers, Uncle George can get things right.

Following on from that, Mutt is a neat addition to the series. His last scene is cute, and I'd watch a film with him at the helm. I would have liked the presence of Short Round, but my friend cqme up with a neat idea for a sequel if they ever do it; make Shorty the competitor like Belloq.

I've got complaints too, but I can't justify raising any of them abive nitpicking either, so I won't.

Surprisingly, this franchise has a lot stronger ties to it's expanded universe, but that's neither here nor there. But still, some examples:

Indy didinvestigate the Roswell crash in '47, it happened in the comics.

Indy also knew a woman named Deidre, he was one of his old flames in the novels.

Indy also rode with Pancho Villa in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

Very much enjoyed, placing it ahead of Crusade in my personal tally. If they do another like is being rumoured, I'll be there. Though what the Hell will they call it??

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.