main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Chimera (Luke, Mara, Dark AU) Updated 11/22, Epilogue

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    ?Father?? Luke managed out the strangled word, his arm rasing unconsciously towards the figure, as if to touch him, to grab his cloak and hold onto it as a child. He could do neither, but only watch, and listen.

:_|

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful update. Firstly, that Luke wants to keep Mara at a physical distance, because otherwise the plot he has in mind would perhaps become too complicated or not be carried out at all. But of course, if he does get closer to her I certainly wouldn't complain. ;) Secondly: the message on the disk, and Obi-Wan's impending visit--how will this impact the plan as to details and timing? Hmmm. This is getting better all the time. Considering the author, am I surprised? Not! @};-

3. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Lord Vader paused for a moment, and only the sound of his deep mechanical breathing could be heard. Luke did not think it was possible, but his next, last words were even deeper. ?Do not grieve for me, my son? he said, the room shaking with the force and timbre of his voice. ?For much is wasted in that sorry pursuit. Think of retribution, of justice, and that one day you will join me in the Force?.

[face_worried]

*don't look at me*

:_| :_| :_|

Stang, JL - you're making a grown woman cry here!

LOVED the holo. [:D]

*sniff*

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    :_| Don't do that to me! I'm exhausted and emotionall fragile right now! [face_shame_on_you]

I loved it, but really heartbreaking.

5. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Luke hasn't bedded Jade yet? Not sure if I should be pleased about that or not?

Great moment with Luke and daddy. Let's hope the kid listened.

6. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Very excited by Obi Wan and Yoda's conversation. Equally excited and anticipating Obi Wan's involvement in getting Luke. Definitely seems to be a new adventure to make it's way into the plot.

Love the brooding tension of Luke and the separating barrier of the door that lays between him and Mara. I think it's a first for me to read (maybe in SW ff in general?) that Luke is a dark character and doesn't use Mara for his own pleasures (at least for now) Interesting, I like!

The end with Vader's/Anakin's message to Luke...got the tears brimming.

As always, your work is jaw-droppingly-fantastic! :eek: ;) =D=

7. MaraJade4S

MaraJade4S Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    Wow, this is very interesting! I got hooked instantly and I couldn't tear myself away.
    Can't wait for an update. I hope it's soon.

8. furrylittlebantha

furrylittlebantha Jedi Master star 3

Dec 2, 2005
    *sighs happily* I had a major breakthrough today after catching up on your story. I admitted to myself that I am hopelessly addicted to Dark Luke stories! You are not helping things here.

Luke sat in his dark, gloomy quarters, spinning the newly acquired datadisc in his hand aimlessly. He wanted so badly to open it, to retrieve his father?s gift, his last testament to him, but he was afraid. Once he knew its contents then there would be nothing left, nothing more to learn about his father, nothing more he could impart to Luke.

He had sent his servants and attendants away hours ago, needing the time and the space. Jade had been placed in a bedroom adjourning his own, a clear indication of her status as mistress. The door remained locked, Luke alone having the ability to open it ? there was no key on her side. He was sure that this infuriated her, such an obvious labelling of her status which the entire palace would know, but it served Luke?s purposes easily enough. He could not have her invading his quarters without his consent.

Although she held the status of his mistress, he had not yet bedded her. If Luke had his way, it would remain as such. Not that he didn?t have the desire. No, the woman had ignited in him feelings he long thought dead or at least blunted. But giving in to such urges would shift the balance of power between them, and he liked it the way it was. It served his purposes better for them to remain physically distant. He could not allow himself to show any weakness, not even to his partner in this plot. Especially to her.

One thing that stands out to me about this fic is the depth of Luke's character. I was reading the discussion about fast-food plots, and I think the same thing happens a lot with Luke stories. It's like there's five or so cardboard cutouts of him, you know, Farmboy, Evil Sith, Omniscient Jedi, etc., with an "insert story here" written on them. Your depiction does not fit in any of these sterotypes. He's still recognizabely Luke, but different. Darker. Not in a muahaha lookie my yeller eyes ooh Mara you are mine, but in a subtler, and to me realer way. Disillusioned, that's the word. And unpredictable! With him wavering between his innate Lukiness and the scars that cover it, ya just don't know what he's going to do! So its criminal that you haven't given us an update yet!!!

9. Jetta

Jetta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2001
    Great uppie =D=

As dark as Schmendrick/Luke has grown, I'm sure there is still plenty of that to come. I feel for him, and the situation he has found himself in.

10. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Thanks you to those who nominated this fic in the Winter Awards. [:D] [:D] I'm ecstatic. It's also made me feel very guilty that I haven't updated in a while, so i'm working on that now. I should have the next chapter up by tomorrow, hopefully.

[b]ginchy[/b] - Thank you!
    [i]Obi-Wan and Yoda vs. Vader/Anakin....who will Luke listen to? Perhaps...himself? [/i]
    That would probably be the best thing for him to do. Whether he's strong enough, is another matter...

[b]tasujad [/b] - [i]so we have Dead Daddy Vader/Anakin, Little fiery Mara, Hopefull but dead ObiWan, Pessimistic Yoda and captain Doubfull Luke ?
    What a underdog team[/i]
    Hehe [face_grin] Thank you.

[b]Anakins_Force[/b] - [i]Oh Yoda, you're just now realizing you might have done something wrong?lol. [/i]
    It was a long time coming, wasn't it?
    [i]Poor Obi-Wan--I always feel sorry for him, and it's no different when he's dead. And Anakin was not redeemed in this fic, so he doesn't even have that. [/i]
    I know - he just has to hang around, watching everything go to hell instead of being able to rest in peace.
    Thanks for reading!

[b]Golden_Jedi [/b] - Thank you :)

[b]Jade_eyes[/b] - [i]Firstly, that Luke wants to keep Mara at a physical distance, because otherwise the plot he has in mind would perhaps become too complicated or not be carried out at all. [/i]
    Yes, we all know what happens when Luke lets Mara get too close to him! He has a specific goal in mind and Mara will either help or hinder him - he can't take the chance of giving up some of the power he has over her.
    [i]Hmmm. This is getting better all the time. Considering the author, am I surprised? Not![/i]
    Thank you! [face_hugs]

[b]Jedi Trace [/b] - [i]*don't look at me*
    Stang, JL - you're making a grown woman cry here!
    LOVED the holo. [/i]
    [face_grin] I thought you might like that scene. There may be some more Vader time in the future ;)

[b]VaderLVR64 [/b] - [i]Don't do that to me! I'm exhausted and emotionall fragile right now! [/i]
    Awww....[face_hugs]

[b]RedGold[/b] - [i]Luke hasn't bedded Jade yet? Not sure if I should be pleased about that or not? [/i]
    Well, considering if he does bed her, there's the extreme likelihood she'd be preggers...but then again...[face_grin] ;)
    Thanks for reading!

[b]MirandaFair [/b] - [i]Very excited by Obi Wan and Yoda's conversation. Equally excited and anticipating Obi Wan's involvement in getting Luke. [/i]
    Thank you :) I've never really seem the involvement of Obi-Wan and Yoda in a Dark Luke story, so I thought it might be an interesting path to go down.
    [i]I think it's a first for me to read (maybe in SW ff in general?) that Luke is a dark character and doesn't use Mara for his own pleasures (at least for now) Interesting, I like![/i]
    Thanks again :) I think that maybe its because Luke isn't really dark dark yet - he's on the brink, but he's still got some restraint. Enough to keep him away from Mara.

[b]MaraJade4S[/b] - Thank you! Hopefully i'll get the update done soon.

[b]furrylittlebantha[/b] - [i]I had a major breakthrough today after catching up on your story. I admitted to myself that I am hopelessly addicted to Dark Luke stories! [/i]
    Hehe, me too. It's not an affliction I want to recover from!
    [i]It's like there's five or so cardboard cutouts of him, you know, Farmboy, Evil Sith, Omniscient Jedi, etc., with an "insert story here" written on them. Your depiction does not fit in any of these sterotypes. He's still recognizabely Luke, but different. [/i]
    Wow, thank you! [face_hugs] It's always so wonderful to hear that i've gotten Luke right and have avoided cliche.
    [i]Not in a muahaha lookie my yeller eyes ooh Mara you are mine, but in a subtler, and to me realer way. Disillusioned, that's the word. And unpredictable! [/i]
    Thank you again! That's exactly what I was going for - a Luke that is apathetic, almost. He's lost his passion for the Light Side and the Dark. Which does not a good Sith make, interestingly enough. Whether he will learn to

11. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

Chapter 8

?About King Haggard I know only what I have heard,? he said. ?He is an old man, stingy as late November, who rules over a barren country by the sea. Some say the land was green and soft once, before Haggard came, but he touched it and it withered. As for the Red Bull? it is the devil to whom Haggard has sold his soul. The Bull belongs to Haggard. Haggard belongs to the Bull?.

?Come closer, boy.? By now Luke had come to know the nuances in the Emperor?s deep, rasping voice. He had studied him closely ? he knew when he was angry, when he was pleased, although his expression and tone seemed to change little. But he knew when the Emperor was lying, and knew when he was being deceived.

He could gauge his intent, his action, and his motives.

They were walking through the Palace gardens, a strange occurrence, for the Emperor seemed to prefer to cloister himself inside his tower. Luke, too, preferred to keep to his quarters, to soak up the remnants of the Force his father had left, to watch the holos he had left him. Vader had been thorough in this regard ? there were hundreds of hours recorded, not only with Vader talking to him, informing him, but with various images and videos scrounged from security holos, news reports and the like. That was how he had learnt about the Clone Wars and the Jedi insurgency, how he had learnt about the intricacies of the Empire and many within her ranks. Knowledge that he was sure would continue to be useful.

?I am disappointed in you, Schmendrick.? The Emperor walked slowly through the ornate paths, Luke a deferent step behind him. ?I am beginning to believe my faith in your abilities was misplaced.?

It was true that Luke?s training was going rather poorly, at least in the Emperor?s estimation. Simple skills he had learnt with Yoda had come swiftly back to him; levitation, increasing power and energy output, mind control. But Luke had no fire in him, no fervour when he sparred with practice droids, or exercised any skills, old or new. A large part of him still considered the Force his enemy, and he was reluctant to give in to it as Palpatine had wished. He had hit a wall with his abilities and could not seem to overcome his anxiety.

?I am sorry, Master,? he answered regretfully.

The Emperor growled lowly. ?That is your problem, my boy,? he said dangerously. ?You have no will.?

Luke had no answer, and continued to follow him through the flowery paths. They cut a sharp image against the greenery and colour, two figures in black, both pale and unused to the sun that shone brightly down on them. Neither of them found beauty in it. There was no pollution in the gardens, no smog from the city that surrounded them, but that seemed to trouble Palpatine?s breathing even more, sending his voice still lower. It had been so long since Luke had breathed such clean, crisp air; it felt cold and sharp in his lungs. No, he did not belong in the sun.

Palpatine stopped unexpectedly, pulling the edges of his robes tighter around him. ?Look, boy.? He raised a gnarled hand and pointed to a nearby clearing. The Emperor?s Hand, Selano, was training there, surrounded by dozens of remotes which hovered ominously around her. For a moment it reminded him of his own scant training on the Millennium Falcon all those years ago, but there was no lightsaber in Selano?s hand. She stood inert, her eyes closed and her long blond hair tightly braided, giving her a severe, pinched look.

In the next instant the remotes began to fire almost simultaneously, but Selano was ready for them. Luke was amazed to see her duck, weave and flip out of the laser?s path to safety. After a few minutes of avoidance, she seemed to grow bored, and deftly pulled a vibroblade out of her boot. One by one she attacked the remotes as they tried to hover out of her path. But she diligently sliced through and deactivated each one. Luke?s long practiced thriftiness, learnt from his years in

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= Congratulations on the nomination. So sad that Luke can't enjoy the loveliness of the gardens. Interesting indeed that he wants to have Mara as a consort: even if that was a delaying ploy, now he will no doubt have to go through with it, which will work toward the Emperor's plans. As to Luke's plan of retribution, he needs to develop deeper skills before taking Palpatine on--but how can he do that without immersing himself in all those dark emotions? Once you do that, there's no controlling the consequences. And, most debasing view of women Palpatine expressed there. Glad Luke doesn't share it.

13. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    Every interaction between Schmendrick and Palpatine is priceless!

14. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Wow, JL, excellent chapter! I really love the interaction between Luke and Palpatine....I always forget how scary he actually is! And the whole interaction about Palpatine and women...how he believes they're to be used up...I can see that, totally.

I love the veil of darkness and uncertainty that hangs over this story! Great job on cultivating that!

15. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Having to catch up here. This story is getting better and more intriguing with each chapter. I doubt Obi-Wan will get a welcoming reception when he shows up.

I meant to ask earlier -- Selano doesn't know who Luke is, does she? In one chapter she thinks of him using the name Skywalker. Was that just a typo, or does she know his true name is Skywalker, but not that he's Vader's son?

16. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Wow, I think Palpatine is hard to capture, but you really got him right, IMO.

He is right, Luke doesn't feel the desire for power that Sith should feel, but he does feel the desire to vindicate his father. I hope he continues to treat Mara with some respect, even though the Emperor is obviously not liking that part of Luke. I like that you added the 'using women' in bc I remember that as part of the EU.

Sorry for all the rambling, lol.

Great update.

17. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Awesome... I see the schemeing going on very well...

Beware Palpy's... he's more crafty that Luke gives him credit for...

18. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Oooh, if Luke only knew how badly Palpatine had manipulated his mother. :mad:

Excellent chapter! I really like this Luke - struggling to find his place in the Force. Fully aware of what he lacks yet unsure how he wants to attain it.

And I can't even begin to imagine where this is going....
    :D

19. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    JadeLotus, congratulations on your nominations!!! =D= :D @};-

A very exciting chapter, with oh-so-many goodies in it!

Luke, having seen enough, turned to the Emperor, who had a strange, pleasant smile on his twisted face. ?You must lose quite a few personnel this way, Master,? he said calmly.

The Emperor smiled. ?It is not a loss if the person is unworthy,? he said simply.

Yikes.[face_worried] I love how you write the Emperor. I find him fascinating but would still love to see him deep fry in some blue-white lightning. ;)

Luke asking to "keep" Mara was great. Methinks he's protecting her that way. Although Jade would hardly need protecting. Palpatine's thoughts on women and their roles was very interesting...100% pure Sith. As yes, I felt my big woman's lib heart wanting to claw at that old prune.

Great job, once again! =D=

20. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    I know i've been neglecting this fic a bit, but i'm working on the next chapter now and will hopefully have it posted by the end of the weekend. Thank you all for sicking with me! [:D]

[b]Jade_eyes[/b] - Thank you!
    [i]So sad that Luke can't enjoy the loveliness of the gardens.[/i]
    There was perhaps a time where he would have been most at home there, but unfortunately, he prefers the dark indoors.
    [i]As to Luke's plan of retribution, he needs to develop deeper skills before taking Palpatine on--but how can he do that without immersing himself in all those dark emotions? Once you do that, there's no controlling the consequences. [/i]
    Very true - he can't defeat the Emperor without giving in to the Dark Side, but then he will simply become the Emperor, which Luke doesn't necessarily want. It's a quandry, all right.
    [i]And, most debasing view of women Palpatine expressed there. Glad Luke doesn't share it.[/i]
    I've always seen Palpatine as a little chauvinistic, or at least, willing to use women in more degrading ways. Thanks for the feedback!

[b]Golden_Jedi[/b] - Thank you! [face_grin]

[b]ginchy[/b] - [i]I really love the interaction between Luke and Palpatine....I always forget how scary he actually is![/i]
    I think the real scary thing about Palpatine is that even though he is old and a little past his time, his scheming mind is as sharp and evil as ever ;)
    [i]And the whole interaction about Palpatine and women...how he believes they're to be used up...I can see that, totally.[/i]
    I thought it was interesting that he used women as his Hands, in essense, for them to do his "dirty" work, whereas the real leadership of the Empire was left to men.
    [i]I love the veil of darkness and uncertainty that hangs over this story! Great job on cultivating that! [/i]
    Thank you!

[b]Jedi-2B[/b] - Thank you!
    [i]I doubt Obi-Wan will get a welcoming reception when he shows up.[/i]
    No, I don't think Luke will be pleased to see him at all ;)
    [i]I meant to ask earlier -- Selano doesn't know who Luke is, does she? In one chapter she thinks of him using the name Skywalker. Was that just a typo, or does she know his true name is Skywalker, but not that he's Vader's son?[/i]
    Um...yeah, that was a typo, I went back and fixed it [face_blush] . Thank for picking up on that!

[b]Anakins_Force[/b] - Thank you :)
    [i]He is right, Luke doesn't feel the desire for power that Sith should feel, but he does feel the desire to vindicate his father.[/i]
    *nods* Luke just wants to avenge his father, not gain any real power in the Empire, but in order to do the first, he probably must accomplish the latter ;)
    [i]I hope he continues to treat Mara with some respect, even though the Emperor is obviously not liking that part of Luke.[/i]
    I think perhaps the Emperor expected Luke to put the final nail in Mara's coffin, so to speak. That he actually appears to like her would be a troubling thought for him.
    [i]I like that you added the 'using women' in bc I remember that as part of the EU.[/i]
    Thanks! I vaguely remembered that the Empire wasn't exactly about gender equality, and I figured that had to come from Palpatine.
    [i]Sorry for all the rambling, lol.[/i]
    Don't be, I love rambling! [face_grin]

[b]RedGold[/b] - Thank you! :)
    [i]Beware Palpy's... he's more crafty that Luke gives him credit for...[/i]
    He does seem to be underestimating him - but then Palps is underestimating Luke in return. Whether that will cancel each other out...well shall see ;)

[b]Jedi Trace[/b] - [i]Oooh, if Luke only knew how badly Palpatine had manipulated his mother.[/i]
    I don't think Luke would have a problem with Dark Side rages if he did find out ;)
    [i]I really like this Luke - struggling to find his place in the Force. Fully aware of what he lacks yet unsure how he wants to attain it. [/i]
    Thank you! I tried to make it a bit different from other AU's - Luke in particular since I had never written him falling to the Dark Side on his struggle with that before.
    [i]And I can't even begin t

21. motoish

motoish Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2005
    Hi,

This is a great fic. Pls add me to your PM list.

22. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    motoish - Thank you! :)
    Pls add me to your PM list.
    Sure thing.

[b]Chapter 9[/b]

[i]Only the harpy had not slept, and now she sat staring at the sun without blinking. Schmendrick said, ?If she frees herself first, we are lost.?[/i]

They were a secretive pair, any fool could see that. The magician seemed paranoid beyond belief and spent most of his time locked in his quarters. When he wasn?t training with the Emperor that was.

Selano couldn?t deny it hurt to see the Emperor waste so much time on the magician. He had obviously not lived up to his supposed potential, that much was clear. She would by far be a more worthy candidate. Although it satisfied Selano to know that the Emperor had entrusted her with the responsibility of watching him and Jade. All of her other duties had been postponed for the time being and her sole efforts were concentrated on Schmendrick and discovering his secrets. It pleased her, to see firsthand the downfall of her former tutor.

For Jade had been her mentor, when Selano had first come under the tutelage of the Emperor. She?d taught her how to fight, the basics of subterfuge, stealth; all she needed to know about becoming the Emperor?s Hand. Stupidly, Jade had never even suspected that Selano would take her place, such was her loyalty to the Emperor. Mara had believed Selano was being trained for the underground intelligence force, and had been completely blindsided when she had superseded her. That had been Jade?s final legacy. Selano knew she only kept her station so long as she was useful to the Emperor. She had learnt from her mentor?s mistakes, and would not suffer her fate.

For Jade was no more than a vessel for the magician?s child, a child the Emperor assured her, would be immensely strong in the Force.

But why Jade? Apparently Schmendrick had taken a liking to her, athough Selano couldn?t see why. In her opinion Jade had no beauty left in her. She didn?t have Selano?s youth, or fire, of that she was certain. Her only real attribute had been her vibrant red hair but even that had dulled to a dirty auburn over the years. Her eyes had once held spark, but they were dull, now, vacant. And yet still, the magician stared at Jade when he thought the paramour wasn't looking.

She had studied the look carefully, it seemed like affection?desire. At yet he had not acted on it.

It was a puzzling thought. Selano herself had supervised the drugs which had been given to Jade through her food. There was no doubt she had been digesting them. It was a specialised medicine, direct from the Emperor?s scientists with a guarantee of 100% increased fertility. If Schmendrick had slept with her, there would have been no doubt that she should have fallen pregnant by now. The only conclusion she could draw was that Schmendrick had not taken full liberties with his property.

And yet this did not trouble Selano, in fact it worked to her advantage. The magician would not be able to resist her own charms, of that she was sure. Certainly the pregnancy would be uncomfortable, but the Emperor would be immensely pleased that she had produced a child for him. Another victory she could take away from Jade, Selano thought maliciously. And with a child she could raise for herself, and extension of her will, her blood. It would fortify her line, the beginnings of a powerful stronghold unlike the Galaxy had ever seen.

Yes...the magician would fall in love with her, would do anything for her, even take down the Emperor. And if he got himself killed in the process, then all the better. If he survived, well, she could surely dispatch him easily enough.

She just needed to gain his trust, and draw him away from Jade.

Then, Selano thought with barely contained glee; then the Empire would be hers.

Luke?s room was dark, as it always was. The sheets he lay in were course, but Luke had never become accustomed to finery. Satin and silk was not for him, not the smoo

Benign Viewer likes this.
  23. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    Just yesterday I was thinking about this fic! :) Hehe, Selano has delusions of grandeur, hasn't she?

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow! Selano has a devious sneaky plan. :eek: She wants Luke to fall in love with her, then use him to bring down the Emperor, so she can rule instead. But Luke's feelings for Mara will definitely get in the way there. And Mara may also realize what's up. Interesting that Selano's noticed Luke looking at Mara with an affectionate, desiring expression. Sad that Mara has no luster to her emerald eyes. Something's got to put it back--perhaps Luke will? ;) Luke's exchange with Ben--everything Ben said was spot on. Palpatine would have either killed Luke or twisted him. And, after Luke achieves his revenge, he will definitely be like the Emperor, and will certainly not be able to turn back. I could totally feel Ben's sadness. I was intrigued that it was lack of confidence that held Luke back before, and still. Luke seems to think it's a lack of something deeper, something he can't do a thing about. I hope Ben's message eventually works on him to a good purpose. So--you're the queen of the evil cliff, now? [face_dancing] Glad to hear it. [face_laugh]

25. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Luke just can't keep his eyes off Mara in any reality can he? [face_love]

Great chapter, lady! Selano thinks she has everything figured out, doesn't she? I'm sure she's in for a rude awakening, on more than one front. Can't wait to see that!

And Obi-Wan's visit to Luke... :_| Excellent job on showing Old Ben's regrets there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.