main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chiss naming conventions??

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xanakh, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xanakh

Xanakh Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 1, 2002
    Okay, I was really weirded out by Shawnkyr Nuruodo.. from what I was able to gather by taking a quick look at the Alien Anthology before the shop assistant told me to buy it or leave, the CHiss are ruled by 4 families, the Nuruodos being one of them. So Shawnkyr is related to Thrawn, or the concept of a family is indeed just a "house" or clan, not biological?
    Then would her real name be Shawnk'yrn'uruodo or some such, core name being Shawnkyr?
    I'd always assumed CHiss had a longer, apostrophy ridden name, and then it was shortened into a core name for familiarity.
    So Brosh, Stent, and Dreel all had longer names just like Thrawn/Mitth'raw'nuruodo.
    But now this chick has a human type name, with a first name and surname. Can someone plz explain? :p
    Also, Jag and Soontir are referring to the Syndic Mitth'raw'nurodo as if it is an existing entity.. Thrawn's dead.. what?
    Does the Syndic part modify Thrawn's name to mean his legacy or estate or something?
    Any explanation would be greatly appreciated :)

-confused, in the southern hemisphere.
    :p

2. moff_Sammael

moff_Sammael Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    Yeah, I have noticed that, too.
    In fact, the apostrophisation of Chiss names was used in only a single case, and that was Mitth'raw'nuruodo in Zahn's books. In Elaine Cunningham stories, however, there are no longer any such names. From this, I have reached following conclusions:

1) The apostrophisation of Thrawn's name was used to show different Cheunh (Chiss language) pronunciation. As for the "core" name, I'm not entirely sure that something like that is used by the Chiss - Thrawn simply needed to abbreviate his full name for the sake of humans' better understanding.

2) It is possible that Elaine Cunningham skipped the apostrophisation just for the sake of us, humans :), and to make the text more readable (if you look into Zahn's books, you'll find out that he's fond of apostrophes and the names he invented are swarming with them).

It is possible that Shawnkyr is Thrawn's close relative (a grand-niece, perhaps...), however Chiss families are different than human families. The Chiss term for "family" is probably a synonym to "clan" or "house".

Of course, this is just a hypothesis, and based upon incomplete facts. There are several people who know Chiss better than I do, and thus they might give a more accurate explanation.

3. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    You should not have said that, moff. About the people who know the Chiss better. Chissdude will think you meant him.

4. moff_Sammael

moff_Sammael Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    Jaina Durron: Well, Chissdude has read the SWG#5 article about the Chiss, hasn't he? I haven't.

5. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    in all probability, yes. But he's so obsessed with the Chiss, it puts me and my Kyp obsession to shame.

6. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    Yeah JJD, it really does put everyone to shame. But everyone has their favorite aspects; I'm really into X-wing stuff. Don't ask me why.

Does Chissdude know more about the Chiss than Valiento?

Or better yet, does Chissdude know more about the Chiss than Bib knows about STAR WARS???? Thats what i thought.

7. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Okay, I was really weirded out by Shawnkyr Nuruodo.. from what I was able to gather by taking a quick look at the Alien Anthology before the shop assistant told me to buy it or leave, the CHiss are ruled by 4 families, the Nuruodos being one of them.

Nuruondo is a militry house based on Csilla.From AA "Chiss society is controlled by families-not true biological groups but effectivly setting 4 branches of government.

So Shawnkyr is related to Thrawn, or the concept of a family is indeed just a "house" or clan, not biological?

No she is not related

So Brosh, Stent, and Dreel all had longer names just like Thrawn/Mitth'raw'nuruodo.
    But now this chick has a human type name, with a first name and surname. Can someone plz explain?

Probly yes they have longer names...

Also, Jag and Soontir are referring to the Syndic Mitth'raw'nurodo as if it is an existing entity.. Thrawn's dead.. what?
    Does the Syndic part modify Thrawn's name to mean his legacy or estate or something?
    Any explanation would be greatly appreciated

1.He may have more clones
    2.He's their patriot, they can aknowledge him there own way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.