main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Choices (JA #1 AU - Yoda, Docent Vant) - vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by dianethx, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Title: Choices
    Author: dianethx
    Genre: angst, slightly AU
    Timeframe: Jedi Apprentice #1,
    Characters: Docent Vant, Yoda, mentions of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn
    Summary: When no Master chose him, young twelve-year old Obi-Wan was assigned to the Agri-Corps. Or was he?
    Disclaimer: I do not own the Star Wars universe or the characters of Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Docent Vant. George Lucas and Dave Wolverston do. I am borrowing the concept with no intent to make money or do harm, just to have fun.

*********************************'

"Poor kid. He will be heart-broken." Murmuring to herself, Vant looked out over the deserted Temple garden and gave a long, drawn-out sigh.

She loved this serene garden with its bronzium sculptures and cool rock pathway, its restful seclusion. Even now, all around her, it was quiet. The gentle breeze hushed through the shrubbery; the joyous cacophony of evening birdsong seemed muted and far-away. Among the wide dark-emerald leaves, the plop-plop-plop of heavy dew trickled solitude.

She often came here when she was troubled and today was no exception. "I suppose it is for the best. The Masters must know what they are doing."

She didn't expect a reply, of course. After all, she was sitting here alone, looking down at the datapad in her hand and thinking rather dark thoughts about the Jedi, the Order and the whole blasted training infrastructure that they had encodified to stone millennia ago.

She may be a mere Docent of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant but that didn't mean she didn't have an opinion. She did indeed have one or two but she had very little power to change the system even if she could. And she knew it.

She had worked for the Jedi Order for many years, helping guide pudgy fingers to roam free in the dirt, keeping little ones safe as they explored their tiny world of creche and Temple. She was no one special in the wider universe, not Force-sensitive enough to teach. But even a Master of Training or a Healer was no more loved by the children of the Jedi than she.

Growing up, she knew that the Jedi did things a little differently than other organizations in the Galaxy. Everyone knew the reality of it. Taking babies to be raised as Knights seemed cruel to some and there had been protests now and again but it actually worked for the most part. The children were trained to wield their great powers and become the guardians of peace and justice in the Republic. Treated with affection as younglings, those worthy enough went on to become Padawan Learners and finally Knights of the Jedi Order.

Ah, but that was the rub. Not all were deemed worthy and the question was what to do with those that had failed to find a Master.

Like now. Vant sat there, pensive and unsettled - and stared down at the datapad in her hand.

Blinking back at her in stark green and black was the name of the latest failure - almost-thirteen year-old Obi-Wan Kenobi. She had heard that the boy had recently fought in the salle without success. No Master had come forth to claim him and he was now off to the Service Corps.

It was a shame. The youngling was fiery but earnest in his desire to help others and he was very strong in the Force. Kenobi was clearly Knight material and she would have bet credits that he would have been chosen early. She was not often wrong. But this time...

This time, the datapad said that he would never be a Knight, that he was going to join the Engineering Corps.

She supposed that was to be expected. The Jedi Order was not so cruel as to just toss their young ones aside. As they grew up at the Temple, the Force-sensitive children went through a battery of tests to determine their strengths in all forms of service - she had administered some of them herself. And when some of the younglings failed to be chosen as Padawans, the Council tried to make the right decisions about placement; a child, well-trained and content, became a valuable part of the Order when they grew up. There were more than just Knights among the Jedi. There were creche Mas

2. Yodan

Yodan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    He was over 800 years old after all and senility seemed to have finally caught up with him. Always a dig at Yoda, eh? :p

Wonderful story here! I loved the POV, and I had wondered why Obi went to the Agri-Corps, when he never seemed to have an affinity for plants. And the end was wonderful! She?s in denial!

No Qui-Gon either, he was mentioned of course, but never appeared... Perhaps you are turning a new leaf in your writing? :p

=D=

3. Trigger292

Trigger292 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2002
    That was a rather amusing take on what happened before Obi got sent to Agri-Corps. I like how she's all "after all, she's been wrong before" Very well done. Gotta love how Yoda's got to meddle in all aspects of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's affairs...typical of him it seems. Great work, really enjoyed reading this. :)

4. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    I thought you didn't like Yoda, dianethx. o_O Changed your mind, have you?

Whether you have or haven't, I really like this. =D=

How 'bout some more...a whole series of them?

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    That was wonderful! But then your work always is! :D =D=

6. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    "Contentment is not the path of a Jedi."

Just so. Lovely, I really enjoyed reading this.

=D=

7. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    And if not, young Obi-Wan will be blowing up whole planets with his inept farming techniques."

[face_laugh] Wonderfully original Diane. =D=

8. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I always did like the way you'd written Docent Vant. She's an old favourite. And this time, the way she tried to out-argue Yoda was half-comical, and half-moving. And later, it was just moving. The way she remembers Obi-Wan destroying plants with his fertilizer mixes, and about how certain she is that Qui-Gon is a fierce boar-wolf (Oh, I love that), and will never ever, take another padawan. [face_love]

Wonderful, m'lady. For someone who hates Yoda, you certainly write him great. :D

9. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    That was a wonderful little viggie! I love seeing Docent Vant argue so much for little Obi-Wan's happiness. Obi-Wan blowing up part of a garden with his mix of fertilizer? Hey, he could use that on Bandomeer to help with mining if Qui doesn't choose him. :p Nice job writing Yoda too! :) =D=

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Outstanding!!! I love the discussion between Yoda and Vant, just superb!

OMG, I just realized, you wrote Yoda again?!? You're favorite character! :p Awfully good job you did with them both.

11. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    She snickered softly. The idea that Jinn would take on a new Padawan... where did Master Yoda get these absurd notions? He was obviously losing his mind.

I love her idea of the match being absurd. What a great OC. Her views and reflections on training and willingness to tell Master Yoda that she thought he was wrond were wonderful.

12. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Love what you've done with Docent Vant and the explanation of the absurd decision to send Obi-Wan to AgriCorps (especially with his inept farming techniques - [face_laugh]). Your universe makes so much more sense.

Now can you explain the rest of the series? [face_batting]

It was great to see Vant sticking up for Obi-Wan, even to the point of arguing with Yoda. I always thought the little troll had a hand in getting them on the same transport...

13. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    Now it all makes sense. Obi-Wan was actually meant for the engineering corps, not the agricorps. I could at least see that for Obi-Wan had he not been chosen. The agricorps idea never worked for me. :D

Loved it, Diane! :)

14. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
  15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Yodan, LOL on the Yoda dig. I have to get it in somewhere!:p Thanks on the POV. I'm really working to try and make sure my POVs don't slip. Vant is fun to write because she's such an unknown - you don't know if she's Force sensitive or just the hired help.
    No, no new leaf. I have actually written stuff without Qui-Gon, amazing as it seems. [face_batting] Thanks for reading.

Trigger292 Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. I always thought it was rather odd that Obi-Wan would be sent somewhere where his talents were discarded. This was a fun way to explain it all.

Musing LOL on the liking Yoda. Heck, didn't you see the senility dig???:p I write him as he needs to be written for the piece, not as I see him, unfortunately.
    As for the series, I've been inadvertantly rewriting JA with some of my AUs. I plan on redoing the Melida/Daan one eventually.

VaderLVR64 Thanks. You are making me blush.[face_blush]

Kestrel_Kenobi Thanks. I had a good time writing it.

OE Thanks about the original. I had to "fix" JA...LOL. [face_whistling]

P_A She's got a different background this time...LOL but the same fiesty spirit. I did have fun figuring out why Obi-Wan should not go to the Agri-Corps, not just because he didn't want to be a farmer. [face_whistling]
    As for writing Yoda great, I don't like the old troll but others do. I do love writing his dialogue though. It's fun.
    Thanks.

Jedi_Tigris Thanks. LOL on Obi-Wan blowing up things with his fertilizer attempts. FYI, fertilizer can be a good explosive. LOL on blowing things up/ mining on Bandomeer. He might enjoy that more than farming. Thanks.

Healer_Leona Thanks. Yes, I did indeed write Yoda again. Yeh, my favorite [face_not_talking] character...LOL.

Master_Noi LOL on the match being absurd. Well, on the face of it, it is absurd and since she likes Obi-Wan... Thanks. I had fun writing it.

DarthMousche Gotta love inept farming techniques.:p I had fun thinking up why he shouldn't go to the Agri-Corps.
    LOL on explaining the rest of the series. Well, I've already coverd a couple of things in my AUs (Bennie, Broken Circle and Endgame) but I'm planning on doing Melida/Daan eventually... you know me, though. I'm so slow.[face_blush]
    I always thought Yoda loved to interfere with everyone so this was one of those times. Thanks.

Jedikma LOL. You know how I love to make sense of things.:rolleyes: The agricorps thing never worked for me, either. :p Thanks.

Kitara Thanks. :D

16. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Don't know how I missed replying to this the first time I read it but I guess I neglected to -- I blame relatives :p What an absolutely superb story Diane! Your ability to take minor characters and make them into something this unique is amazing. Well done!

17. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    I haven't read the Jedi Apprentice series but I've heard you and the other Qui fans talk about them. It's hard for me to imagine Qui as angry and remote, bc he's such a hero to me, but I know he is portrayed that way in JA. I also can't imagine THE Obi-Wan Kenobi as a failed Jedi, especially when I think about him in the context of the OT. But that's what almost happened (from what I understand) and your expansion on that is so interesting.

I feel the same way you do about Yoda, but here he was actually doing something right. I'm glad he was this committed to Obi-Wan, bc he would have been wasted with the engineers instead of with the Jedi.

I really enjoyed this! Great work.

18. Just_Jill

Just_Jill Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Delightful fic. Thank you for sharing it with us.

19. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Layren It's always good to blame relatives...LOL.[face_whistling] Thanks. I do like writing minor characters. They are a lot of fun to play with. Thanks for dropping by.

Anakins_Force You really need to read the JA series. There's lots of stories to exploit in them even though they could be considered AU with Lucas saying Obi was a Padawan at 8. In the books, Qui-Gon was very wounded and closed-off from everyone for a long time so, of course, people would perceive him as angry and remote. In a way, he was...
    Yes, Obi-Wan as a failure makes him being on the Council very ironic. I like it that way. More angst.:p
    I do dislike Yoda but I had to make him sympathetic for this story. I'll try to do better next time...[face_whistling] LOL. Just kidding. [face_batting]
    Thanks.

Just_Jill Thanks for commenting. Glad you liked it. :D

20. Sionnach-Airgid

Sionnach-Airgid Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    =D=

Awesome story! I've not gotten a chance to read the Jedi Apprentice series yet, so I only know what I read here on the boards, but I love reading about young Obi-Wan!

I love Vant too! It's nice to see that someone was on Obi's side!

Thanks for the PM!

And Happy New Year! [face_dancing]

21. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I love your Docent Vant stories - this is like a follow-up to the one I read lat year. :)

I enjoyed the dialogue between Yoda and Vant, especially the way you show Yoda's humour and Vant's maternal nature - and also Yoda's sofetr side.

"And if not, young Obi-Wan will be blowing up whole planets with his inept farming techniques."

Her tart reply must have amused him because he pulled back from the long-ago, brightening up, his large citrine eyes staring straight at her in wry humor. Chuckling at the thought, he jested, "Hummph, useful that could be."

That might be a case of famous last words!!! LOL

Loved the imagery of the garden and twilight. :) Lovely viggie.

22. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    If only . . . :[face_sigh]:

I especially loved this part. Yoda talking to himself--priceless!

23. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Sionnach-Airgid Thanks. Keep in mind that this is an AU. It didn't happen that way... well, I don't think it happened that way. It's not in the books - one of those missing scenes....LOL. Glad you enjoyed it.

Tahi I don't know why I keep writing her. I guess she's such a minor character that you can do just about anything with her and no one would complain!
    And I also keep writing Yoda and I don't even like the old troll. Go figure!:p
    Glad you enjoyed the imagery. That's what inspired this whole story. Funny how the strangest things inspire. Anyway, thanks for replying.

Ara-gon If only, indeed. Even if it were true, poor Obi-Wan would still have been horribly unhappy about being sent to the Agri-corps. :_|
    I love writing Yoda dialogue. It's a lot of fun. Thanks for reading.

24. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Ack, how did I miss this for so long? [face_frustrated]

Anyway, I really liked this story. [face_love] I like reading about Obi and Qui from unique perspectives, and Docent Vant is great. :D I love how concerned she is for poor Obi, and how she argued with Yoda because she's concerned for his happiness.

"And if not, young Obi-Wan will be blowing up whole planets with his inept farming techniques." [face_laugh] I loved the whole 'fertilizer incident', I can just imagine young Obi doing something like that! [face_love]

But she was quite sure about Qui-Gon Jinn. Rogue, thorn in the sides of the Jedi Council, stubborn to the point of foolishness, unhappy and alone. She doesn't have a very good opinion of Qui-Gon, does she? :( Not that she would have any reason to think otherwise. I would've loved to see her reaction when Qui and Obi come back as Master and Padawan. :D

Thanks for such a great viggie, dianethx! :D @};-

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Bastet, thank you so much for your comments. I would have replied earlier but the mods don't want us to reply to each post without waiting a while...
    Thanks about Docent Vant. For some reason, she seems to appeal to me.[face_thinking]

She does rather like Obi-Wan and the poor kid has had it rough. I would think that anyone working with kids would always feel bad when they were about to go someplace they didn't really want to go.

As for her not having a good opinion of Qui-Gon. Well, she's not really dealt with him much but what she has seen is very bothersome. He would have been unhappy at this stage -remember how much he was still thinking about Xanatos in JA 1-2.

LOL. I would imagine that Vant would be startled that Qui/Obi would pair up. Probably unhappy with it for a while until things settled down. Then when Obi left for the Young, I would imagine that she'd think it was all Jinn's fault.

Thanks. [face_batting] Glad you enjoyed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.