main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Christianity Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabba-wocky, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So I didn’t know what thread to put this in, but thought it was an interesting experience. I was going around my block as I often did. While some my so I ran into some missionaries. Who came up to talk to me. Never had this happen before but when I said I wasn’t interested in talking they left me alone. And no I didn’t know that hat church they were from.

Ghost likes this.
  2. BlankEquestrian

BlankEquestrian Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 20, 2021
    I know these threads are usually geared more toward intellectual discussion rather than Christian fellowship, but I’m in search of the latter, and I presume doing so is not forbidden.

My question is, what are my fellow Christians’* takes on getting back into the dating game while still technically in a marriage that is de facto completely over.

I’m not looking for either affirmation or an argument, just genuinely want to hear others’ thoughts.

*I am a Latter-Day Saint and as such fully recognize that Christians of other denominations may not consider me an actual Christian. I respect this viewpoint but I emphatically do not reciprocate it: that is, even if you don’t consider me a Christian, I consider you one, and as such value your input.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What is “de facto completely over” mean? Separated? Filed a petition to divorce but the other party hasn’t been served? In the middle of the court proceedings? Both parties have signed divorce papers but the judge hasn’t signed off on the finalized separation agreement?

It would also depend on the cause of the separation.

4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Too much of that answer depends on your circumstances. The strict answer in terms of theology is "not until after your spouse has died or until after your marriage has been annulled", but I doubt that is the answer you seek.

Sarge and BlankEquestrian like this.
  5. BlankEquestrian

BlankEquestrian Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 20, 2021
    De facto as in, I have no more desire to reconcile our volatile marriage and am prepared to face my Maker with “left his first wife” on my scorecard and whatever that entails.

There are always more proximate causes with these things of course but the fundamental problem is that within my religious parameters the interfaith marriage (Ukrainian Pentecostal) is just not working.

@Lordban I value all input.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    This, on the other hand, does read like someone who might be better served with seeking an annulment.

I don't know how demanding the process would be in your case - it depends on the church in which you were married in the first place.

If, on the other hand, your marriage only ever received a civilian sanction and no sacrament, we're in a rather different field in religious terms.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don’t know you your family or your situation. I also want to be clear that since we are on a public message for you specifically asked her how I would advise one of my own. This is a lifestyle of choice, and I only expect that those who volunteer for it continue in that path for as long as it pleases them. This is not a standard I hold to anyone who is uninterested or unwilling.

That said, absolutely not. Even if you are sure, things cannot work, or you do not have the money or the time to file formal proceedings. You could at least do the dignity of informing her unmistakably of your intentions. Anything less is deliberately deceptive. Being tired or even wronged in your relationship is not an excuse to do wrong back to the other person. Forget about partners—you an owe stranger more than that.

And to be clear, I’m outlining my lowest denominator problem with your proposed course of action, not endorsing doing the minimal amount beyond it.

CT-867-5309 likes this.