main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Christmas TV Fare

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Nov 25, 2011.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you have Sky Movies be sure to catch Disney's A Christmas Carol - currently showing on Sky Movies Premiere. I watched it out of curiosity and this is a pretty good rendition of the story. The sequences with the ghosts were genuinely scary, especially for a Disney film. Highly recommended. I hate to say it about a Disney film, but probably not one for little kids. It's got a PG rating.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I prefer Mickey's Christmas Carol :)

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Muppets Christmas Carol > all

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well that goes without saying!

5. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm glad you agree with me

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
  7. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    I watched it yesterday, and I agree, it's not really one for small kids, but a very very good rendition of it. It's my all time favourite story, so am very fussy when it comes to movie/tv versions of it.

Interestingly, my 3 year old daughter was not in the least bit bothered by the 3rd spirit, who even I found a touch on the scary side, but rather she didn't like the ghost of Christmas present. I assume it was his booming laughter that scared her.

The whole segment with the 3rd spirit is very nightmarish.

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    QMAOFT.

The Muppet Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come freaks me out to this day.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The Weekend Magazine from today's Daily Mail had a page on 'Christmas Crackers', listing some of the shows on TV for Christmas. It listed Dr Who and the film Ratatouille for Christmas Day on BBC1 but didn't give any times. The first of three new episodes of Absolutely Fabulous will be on Boxing Day on BBC1. ITV1 has Downton Abbey on Christmas Day and a Poirot special on Boxing Day. BBC1 will also be running a new adaptation of Dickens' Great Expectations from Dec 27-29.

Of that lot Dr Who and AbFab interest me. I've seen Rataouille on Sky Movies already but it's not a bad film. I can pass on the rest.

10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Ab Fab, Doctor Who and The Son of the Gruffalo have my attention. Most of the rest I can take or leave.

11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Dr Who and Downto as definates.

The Gruffalo's Child??? Love both books for the kids but I was very disappointed by the Gruffalo last year and that may ruin the next one for me (lingering doubts etc...)

12. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Perhaps it's because I never read the books, or had paticularly high hopes for the cartoon. But I thought The Gruffalo was a delightful animation. Robbie Coltrane as the Gruffalo was brilliant casting. And I adored John Hurt as Owl! :D I can't wait to see another.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It's so depressing that they've wheeled Ab Fab out yet again. It should've ended with 1996's The Last Shout (the one where Saffy almost got hitched). Those first three series and the Christmas Special were just perfect. Of their time... captured the zeitgeist. Since then it's been a pale shadow brought out time and time again because - I suspect - Jennifer Saunders is a big draw for the BBC but she has nothing better or even comparable up her sleeve.

14. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Meh. The main reason I want to watch the new AbFab is because I haven't seen much of Jennifer Saunders since it was revealed she was going through chemotherapy. And having grown up watching French and Saunders I really want to see her working again. It's just an added bonus that what's been revealed already actually looks quite funny.

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    She's had a terrible time of it, I am sure, but that's not reason enough to continue to spin out a tired sitcom. I'd like to see her back, but not with AbFab. It was a phenomenon of it's time, and to be honest the fact that nothing better (or even close to as good) has come from her since suggests the melding of comedy and culture that made the original three series so popular / clever / ingenious was a happy accident rather than a genius at work. Give me something different, any day. And besides, it's easy to see the best of something in a trail.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't see how it is any different from doing new Red Dwarf, a show which also past its best long ago.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    A note for those Who fans that get BBC3 - they are doing some reruns this week (all starting at 7pm):

Tonight - Voyage of the Damned (the Kiley one)
    Monday - The Next Doctor (Cybermen in Victorian England)
    Tuesday - The End of Time Part 1 (Tennant's swan song)
    Wednesday - The End of Time Part 2
    Thursday - A Christmas Carol (last year's Christmas special)

Also, a shout-out for a Christmas morning film on ITV1: March of the Penguins (9:25-11am). Narrated by Morgan Freeman, it's basically a documentary of a penguin's year. I've seen it quite a few times on Sky. It's a perfect time for me as I will probably be preparing the turkey and there's a small TV in the kitchen. Note - this is not to be mistaken for Happy Feet, which is on later in the day on the same channel.