main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Christopher Columbus - legacy and separating facts from fiction

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jun 26, 2021.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The term 'permanent contact' is so insultingly bland, implying that somehow both the 'Old World' and 'New World' benefited equally.

But good ol' John Wayne has this defense: "Our so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."

Lastly, Miles Davis wants to wish you all a merry Columbus Day:

""It’s like, how did Columbus discover America when the Indians were already here? What kind of **** is that, but white people’s ****?"

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You realize "turning point", "beginning", and "changes" are not always good, right? Those things can all be bad. They certainly weren't good for the people already here.

Also would not have guessed you were a fan of globalization.

3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Why are we replying

KnightWriter and Healer_Leona like this.
  4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Wait until Mike hears about the advances in science given to us by evil Nazi medical experiments.

5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Every thread is the same boring thread

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't consider time off to be a singular--or even the most important--metric of a holiday's significance or acceptance. Observance has always been about more than paid time off. I'm not sure why you want to center the discussion economically, when there are so many more dimensions to culture. Nor do I know why you continue to debate here, when I've tried to be clear about my overall message. Do you have any objections to that idea? If so, I'd be much more interested to hear what that might be. If not--I've already said you were correct that St. Patrick's Day is not a federally recognized holiday. I'm not even sure what else you want.

7. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I am reminded that apparently the land acknowledgments also can get contentious, and there are apparently two groups presenting themselves as the actual descendants of those indigenous to the Los Angeles area, and it's been some long-standing thing about which gets mentioned.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    At age 7, I refused to acknowledge Columbus Day as a holiday in class because, as I explained to my teacher, I was in school.

10. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I remember having it off at that age. Then college dropped a few holidays, like it and president's day (or more precisely, it moved them and observed them between christmas and new years to allow for a couple weeks closed)

11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm old, so at the time Presidents' Day didn't exist - it was Washington's Birthday / Lincoln's Birthday as two separate holidays.

Lincoln's Birthday wasn't acknowledged generally in Florida. Guess why that was!

Florida (which is a Spanish-given name) always had a weird historical relationship with some of the more unpleasant historical aspects of the area - a big festival around DeSoto over on the west coast, for instance - while glossing over some of the ugliest of the wars against Native Americans in US history (and that's saying something).
    Meanwhile, the conservative at work was complaining about how the Seminole Indians have a monopoly on gambling in Florida and how it wasn't fair.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That book should be required reading to post in this thread, the Race Relations thread or the thread you just linked. It’s one of the most eye opening books I have ever read.

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Columbus Day presidential proclamation, last year:

"“These extremists seek to replace discussion of his vast contributions with talk of failings, his discoveries with atrocities, and his achievements with transgressions... Rather than learn from our history, this radical ideology and its adherents seek to revise it, deprive it of any splendor, and mark it as inherently sinister.”

14. Tang Lung

Tang Lung Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 4, 2013
    A viking mightve discovered US before CC

For ex concrete was invented by romans then it was forgotten only to be re-discovered later

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Well, that proclaimer does not think rape and murder are sinister, especially when the victims are not white, so the proclamation checks out.

I would still love an explanation of what “contributions” and “achievements” and “splendor” though.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Leif Erikson (Leifr Eríksson) was the first known European to set foot on the North American continent* in what is today Newfoundland, Canada around the year 1000, if that's what you mean.

*Not counting Greenland, which was first settled a few decades earlier by Leif Erikson's father, Erik the Red (Eiríkr rauði Þorvaldsson).

Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It's not exactly "might" either since there are ruins of Viking settlements in Newfoundland.

Juliet316, Coruscant and TCF-1138 like this.
  18. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    And if any of those experiments were to have saved another life, is that worth it or not? Probably not the right thread. But a worthwhile discussion.

@Lowbacca_1977 - so you see no benefits at all or positives regarding Columbus. That’s fine. I and I’m sure others can see the positive aspects too.

Why not make it interesting then? You have the power!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm going to have to say, no.

20. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Fair enough. It’s a sticky issue for sure. I can both sides of the debate though. What if your relative was saved by something learned due to Nazi experiments or possibly any other heinous acts? Would we not have likely discovered what they did at some point anyways using traditional, non violent means? Again, a good debate and plenty of good reasons for each side, IMO.

21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I mean, if the victims have already been cut up and butchered and they learned something from it...well we can't bring them back, and as disgusting as it sounds, if the knowledge is good for something then we may as well use it. But that doesn't mean butchering those people was right to begin with, or that those Nazi doctors weren't criminals.

22. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    The issue here is that you included, as part of your definition of "good stuff", the devastation of the indigenous peoples of the Americas. That's the issue here, when asked to define what "good stuff" is, you included an estimated 90% of the people that were living in the Americas dying to be part of your idea of what "good stuff" is.

It'd be rather like (in terms of impact) you arguing that one of the good things that the Nazis did was the Holocaust.

23. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Agreed here. The awful deed has been done and while the thought of how the knowledge was gained makes your stomach turn, at least that knowledge could be put to good use. That’s the idea. No, it doesn’t get anyone off the hook for being mass murderers or anything of the sort. And, if we could go back and get those lives back whilst giving up the knowledge gained then I’m pretty sure it’d be a 100% agreed upon trade off.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What were the benefits and positives regarding Columbus? What “good stuff” did he do?

“You don’t see it” is not an explanation when you haven’t even bothered with what we are supposed to be “seeing” other than a vague Wikipedia article complaining about how Columbus was considered a great guy until the 1990s.

blackmyron likes this.
  25. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I mean this is the downside of taking utilitarianism to an inhumane conclusion. You can practically justify any terrible thing. There is always going to be some places were we agree not to go. Otherwise you’ll be taking homeless people off the street and saving multiple lives with their organs.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021