main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Chuck Wendig fired

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Daneira, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    [QU
    So I guess Nazism wasn't responsible for the Holocaust because it was done by a ''Nazi Regime'' not Nazism as an ideology? The ideology has a direct link to the killings, how can't you grasp this
    ''It's just an ideology'' is a stupid defense, if the ideology itself always leads to violence. I guess people never do learn from history

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am going to ban each and every single person who ignores my warning about keeping politics out of this thread. There are enough places on the entire planet to yell at people who disagree with you. This isn’t one of them.

Just because I’m trying to be polite doesn’t give license to ignore moderator warnings.

Please. Try me.

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I think it's clear they didn't fire him for his political views, but how he chose to express them.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Just want to point out that Chuck is freelance. He's not a representative of Marvel. We can have a debate about the extent to which Pablo, say, should uphold company principles or whatever when he tweets, but that damn sure doesn't apply to Chuck, especially regarding posts that have nothing to do with Marvel.

Jedi Princess and vncredleader like this.
  5. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    The rules are the same. He still represents them if he’s being paid to produce media for them.

The fact of the matter is he’s been attacking fans like this for a long time. He’s probably been spoken to before to tone it down and it may have just been the last straw recently. I’m just guessing of course but I’d be willing to bet that’s what happened. Businesses aren’t usually there for political activism. They are there to make money and attacking a large portion of the customers is a bad idea.

6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    And I believe he himself has pointed that out in the past.

7. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I think this is right, but the “how he chose to express them” part still isn’t clear to me as far as what the problem is. Again, mocking Dr. Ford is not a fireable offense to Disney. What was specifically fireable that he did? Insulting Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan?

People say he insults fans. If I saw that tweet, I’d get it 100%.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, this sounds like he stepped out of bounds and said something to someone who threatened a lawsuit. Easy to do when social media gets out of hand. Made easier, unfortunately, because you make one verbal slip-up and everyone sees it and reposts it before you can take it back.

9. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    I don’t agree with mocking Ford’s voice and it was an inappropriate attack. That being said, I don’t know what action Disney took but it may have been addressed. I also know that I’ve seen Wendig say a lot worse, numerous times, over the last couple of years. Just stating my observation and thoughts.

wobbits and AhsokaSolo like this.
  10. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Many of his most extreme tweets were deleted in the past. A google search would likely show you some saved images though.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Please don't double post. The multi-quote button exists.

Daneira likes this.
  12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Well we don't know how often he has been warned to reign it in. I think he addressed admittedly bigotted people as such, but even then would it be too much to ask for him to not address those people?

Vezner and AhsokaSolo like this.
  13. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Oh I wouldn't be surprised if he said worse stuff. I've just been waiting for someone to show one of the tweets that is worse. I am not a fan of the guy's temperament or writing for the record. I'm mainly just curious about what the specific tweet was that crossed the line. So far the tweets I've seen people sharing on social media to explain it just don't rise to that level to me (meaning, to the level of mocking Dr. Ford). A political rant against elected republicans and "the GOP" doesn't seem personal, it seems political.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  14. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018

I see your point but let me bring up WWE's upcoming show in Saudi called Crown jewel . This is the second event that the company putting on there.

These are gorified house shows they don't count towards developing storylines and are forgotten about a week after they happen. they are literal pointless and a chance of there rooster getting hurt for a random house show.

WWE got a ton of flack last time cause Half there roster

(there woman Wrestlers can't perform due to Saudi's less then progressive views on the fairer sex. )

A bunch of female wrestlers and male wrestlers were disappointed by this.

Voiced their opinions on twitter none of them got fired or anything

But cause Sami Zayn a Canadian wrestler who has converted to the Muslim religion spoke out on twitter and plugged his charity

He got pulled from the show and was "jobbed out" (booked to lose matches for two weeks just for a tweet.

Yes thats not bad as being fired.
    Yes he still getting payed.

but lets talk about this up coming show Crowd Jewel .

The Show thats Ruining the Perfect end to Shawn Michaels Career He's coming out of Retirement just cause The Prince wants to see him Wrestle .

Thats not the bad thing.

The Bad thing is that The Canadians on the Roster this time cause Saudi and Canda had a little issue in august aren't allowed in the country so they can't wrestle Untop of the woman not being able too .

so they won't be at the event .

The Event in a county that is currently in the middle of a different political scandal

for those who saw straight out in august threatened to do a repeat of 9/11 on the C.N tower on twitter.

No one in wwe is Speaking out about both the Woman and The Canadians not being allowed to participate cause their afraid of getting Fired.

Thou its Funny one of the Canadians Kevin Owens never had knee problems until this Monday as there way of writing him off tv so They don't gotta Touch on why no candian is at the event.

Though Former wrestlers who still have a working Relationship with WWE are speaking out or are Voicing there opinions on it Chris Jericho who is doing the Indies right now got asked by a fan on twitter if he was going to Saudi for crowd Jewel and he's like " **** no I'm Canadian I'm not allowed . "

so I see where ur coming from but if the companies policy is ur allowed to speak out on some issues but others u might get fired on even if its condemning performing in

a country that said they might commit a terroist attack on your home country then its a whole different can of worms .

15. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Sorry, my bad.

16. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I don't follow WWE so I don't know anything about this scandal, but from the way you describe it, I'm kind of surprised this isn't hurting the WWE's image at home. Trying to silence anyone from commenting on that through their employment just feels wrong to me.

17. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    its not big enough to hurt there image and the people who care have already switched to the Indies like Impact , New Japan and so on. but yeah its majorly wrong but what I think Disney / marvel should do is take dc's example and just promote your books or

1. No politics policy, if your working for us during that time no politics on social media. When your not working fine.

2. We dont care, we hire you to write/draw and unless its straight up crazy land **** or hideously offensive we dont give a ****

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    And I'm sure Wendig would be in the front row cheering if somebody had been fired for doing his exact same routine from a conservative perspective, so I can't summon any sympathy for him. Everybody's got to play by the same rules (and the fact that people on both sides are abandoning this fundamental premise is the core problem with our politics today).

I'm not a big fan of people getting fired for expressing their personal views on their own time, but companies certainly have the right to choose who they want associated with their name. In the end, all you can ask is that they stick to the same rules for everybody, and that the line really is about style and not about politics, which is what it seems like this is. They're certainly not firing him for being pro-gay-rights, or whatever. They're firing him for having a Traviss-like inability to avoid picking fights with the fanbase and ranting and raving at criticism.

As I said, zero sympathy.

19. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I think it all depends on what state the first 3 issues are. If the scripts were “locked” and the art is already to the coloring stage, then I think they will get someone to finish the last two issues. If the scripts were still in editorial for tweaks and the art was just at pencil state - then I think there is a good chance the whole project is scrapped.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

20. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    That's a logical fallacy; you don't know that he would do such a thing, but you assume he would and thus you have no sympathy for him.

I've also never seen him "rant and rave" about criticism. I've seen numerous times where he makes it clear it's totally cool if you don't enjoy his work.

Also, you should probably edit out the parts where you talk about politics or else you'll be banned for discussing politics in a political thread.

21. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Expressing your political point of view and opinion is one thing and should be applauded, no matter which side of the political spectrum you fall on. It's a different matter completely when you make personal attacks at people for what they believe. That's what got him in trouble IMO.

22. Darth-Darth Binks

Darth-Darth Binks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2016
    I personally suspect it's actually due to critical reception of his Aftermath trilogy and his behavior on Twitter. Marvel's been using Doctor Aphra, who is probably either a lesbian or bisexual with gay preferences. Whatever the case, I don't think using an LGBT character is why he's being fired. But maybe that's not what he's saying, maybe he's just saying that this is what got the ball rolling. Still, the fact is that knowing Marvel, it probably is no other reasons than his behavior towards others on the internet, and what many people thought of his written work.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and Vezner like this.
  23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    From my understanding of the situation, he wasn't saying he was fired because of having gay characters. He's saying that he's been targeted by groups like ComicsGate because of his inclusion of gay characters and his political views. Hell, he says in one of the tweets you quoted:

"(I was fired)... Because of the negativity and vulgarity that my tweets bring."

24. Darth-Darth Binks

Darth-Darth Binks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2016
    Yes, I realized this in retrospect. I partly corrected my post because I saw my mistake.

25. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    I'm certain Chuck's being honest there. He was let go because of his behavior online more than anything else. It would be a PR nightmare for Disney to fire him for having a gay character in his books. My dislike for his writing not withstanding, I doubt they would fire him at this point for books that came out long before now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.