main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CIII survival checklist - What should we pack?!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by brokenyolk, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brokenyolk

brokenyolk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    Only three weeks to go - time to start thinking about what we need to bring!

I'll list the obvious first.

- badge/lanyard
    - money/credit card
    - photo ID
    - print out of hotel reservations
    - print out of purchase confirmation for anything you need to pick up at will call
    - costume (s)
    - camera (and film...? Does anyone use that?)
    - comfortable shoes (VERY important)
    - a watch (you don't want to miss the big shows!)
    - backpack
    - water (a must!) and some snacks
    - and of course - a great attitude because it's gonna be a lot of FUN! (although you might want to throw in a little patience if you have some room left over in your suitcase)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I know there has to be lots more. I remember a thread like this prior to CII and found it very helpful so everyone chime in with anything they can think of!

CIII is getting closer!!

[face_dancing]

2. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    is a camp chair good to bring for waiting to get in? what about a poster tube?

3. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    Poster tubes - GREAT IDEA! I always think of those AFTER the con is over.

4. Darth_Glymmer

Darth_Glymmer Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 18, 2002
    A poster tube is a good idea, and pieces of cardboard for autographs.

Deodorant is a definite must. Possibly air freshener.

Someone mentioned febreeze for the costumes.

I'll think of more!

5. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    Yep, some of us still actually use film ;) and I'm gonna take PLENTY of it. My brother offered his digital, but I have no idea how to use one, then I would have to go get them printed off. I'll stick to my film for now. My biggetst nightmare: getting all the way to Indy and realizing I forgot my badge. I have all my stuff in one big folder waiting for me to pack.

6. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    I have placed my badges, lanyard, etc. already into my laptop bag which will be my carry-on bag for my flight out to Indy. so that there is no concern for losing it if the airline were to "misplace" any of my checked baggage.

7. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    eddie-wan-kenobi posted on 3/30/05 6:56am
    My biggetst nightmare: getting all the way to Indy and realizing I forgot my badge. I have all my stuff in one big folder waiting for me to pack.
    [hr][/blockquote]
    oooh, that would be awful. now i'm afraid too!

i guess the only thing i'd add would be extra batteries for your camera. using a film camera, it wouldn't be much of a problem, but if you use regular (non-camera) batteries for your digicam...then you know they drain fast. so, either bring extra batteries, or spring for the more expensive camera battery.

8. JediMistressDragon

JediMistressDragon Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 1999
    Badge with lanyard and hubby's badge and fan club family passes. (which is already in their original envelope in my suitcase)
    Deoderant, shampoo (hubby washes his hair every day as gets greasy if don't, I won't need mine as will have hair done at hairdressers day before), bandages (you can always get a cut, or rub your skin wrong in costume boots/shoes), headache/painkillers (Ibeuprophen and migrain (for hubby), prescription medication needed (bloodpressure for hubby and sinus/decogestant and Rhinecort for me),
    makeup and make up remover, toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, hubby's mouth rinse and my dental rinse (good to have good breath), shaving stuff, gum and snacks for keeping with, bottled water and soda (you can buy at your local store canned and bottled soda cheaper what would cost you a $1 or more for one can at hotel or convention center), granola bars for hubby and Special K bars for me for breakfast and my coffee creamer for coffee we make in coffeemaker in room in morning, something like bookbag or tote to carry photos, etc..., battery charger for my camera and plenty of disks (mine takes disks, but because it's an expensive digital camera takes really great photos),
    list of what want to see each day and map of place and times of volunteering at Rebel Legion and Jedi Assembly tables on Friday.
    There's clothing and costumes needed, boots and shoes, pantyhose, and other stuff, but until pack weekend before most of stuff, I'll have list that I mark off that the item is pack. I also will bring Jedi Snoopy for Jedi Assembly's raffle. So much to bring and think of.
    JMD

9. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    Star Case 3 to protect your new Vader figure and any other action figure purchases:

http://www.wholesalecases.com/star-wars-supplies.html

10. Darth_Glymmer

Jan 18, 2002
    A hi-lighter might be a good idea if you want to hi-light certain events you want to make on the schedule.

Post-it notes to leave your friends/family notes as to your whereabouts.

I think I am going to consider making a sign for our hotel door as well. We'll need tape to hang it up.

11. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    Besides the stuff already mentioned, a small notebook to write down names, addresses, phone #s & email address of people we meet. Or if you're so inclined, use a PDA or cellphone. Personally, I'll probably write stuff down & transpose it to the cell later.

12. FigrinDan

FigrinDan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2005
    Alot of good suggestions here. I would add that along with a poster tube and star case, you should bring specific protection for whatever collectables you are planning on purchasing. (Comic book bags and boards, trading card slipcases, etc.) I've found that a nice accordian type folder is nice to carry around various important paperwork and a good place to store those miscellaneous items picked up throughout the convention.

13. brokenyolk

May 10, 2002
    I think I'll also bring a sharpie and something to get autographed just in case I run into a SW celeb walking around the convention halls or out at lunch. (or maybe even at the airport!)

Probably also bring a gold/silver sharpie for autographs in general as I think they look much nicer on photos than blue/black.

14. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    Great ideas guys! Keep em coming. :)

15. JediFalcon25

JediFalcon25 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Im bringing my Norelco to stay away from the 5 o'clock shadows. Im also gonna be packing some 8x10 hard plastic sleves to protect my autographs,Some water,my cell phone,some snacks,camera,batteries,credit card,checks,some autograph sharpie markers(blue,black,silver),cash, etc

16. obi-going_to_cel_III

obi-going_to_cel_III Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    Dont forget a backpack (or two or three :p) and also a cooler...after all, melted granola bars and burning up sodas arent good :p

17. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    I am trying to decide what to carry with me in the actual con center. I don't have a backpack but I may hafta buy a cheap one just for this, because I know I am gonna need a place to store items purchased, plus the book I am bringing to get autographs in, and who knows what else!

18. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    If your driving to Indy, Take a role of TP.

My wife ended up with very bad diahria in the middle of Kanasa around 2am and we were pulling over every 5 minutes. Not sure what we would have done if we didnt have that role.

19. Darth_Glymmer

Jan 18, 2002
    Your wife is going to love you for posting that!

20. Psxjedi76

Psxjedi76 FanForce Chapter Rep star 4 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    lol that is too funny

21. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    I swear, it was like 5 hours from hell that night.

22. brokenyolk

May 10, 2002
    ^^ eeewwwwwww.

For the convention center - you might also want to bring a handful of quarters if you plan on getting a locker for repeated use throughout the day.

23. Psxjedi76

Psxjedi76 FanForce Chapter Rep star 4 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    there you go that is a must.

and if you are with anyone make sure you also have all emergency contact info and what people are alergic too. god forbid anything happen but better to be safe

24. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Here's my Con Survival List:

Protein Bars
    Cracker Packs
    Sharpies
    Business Cards (w/ my Name(s), emails and affiliations/websites on them)
    Gallon Sized Ziplock Freezer Bag (they are sturdier than the others) for holding smaller items and protecting them from the elements
    Poster Tube w/ a Strap (trust me, it's worth it - and you can rig one w/ duct tape pretty easy)
    Hardsided Portfolio for Autographs
    Note Pad (usually inthe portfolio to save space)
    Safety Pins & Sewing Kit
    Wet Wipes (trust me, they are a godsend)
    Tissues
    Benadryl (believe me, this is important, even if it is to give it to someone you are traveling with, about to go into anaphylatic shock :p It happens!)
    Water Bottle (nothing quite like a $5 bottle of water to cure you of ever forgetting that again :p [face_frustrated] )
    All in a small pack... Don't get carried away w/ the packs, unless you are in a hotel that you can't walk to... Taking 15 minutes to put stuff back in your room is better than feeling the strain of carrying a weight of crap around all day :p [face_laugh]

Key Items for Costume Survival
    Duct tape
    Sticky Velcro
    Safety Pins
    Sewing Kit
    Stitch Witch
    Febreeze
    Travel Steamer

25. movieboy

movieboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2005
    OK here is my list:

Badge (whever the stupid thing decides to arrive)
    Lanyard (If I'm lucky enough to get it w/ the badge)
    Fan Force name tag
    Jedi costume
    Lightsaber
    Blackhawk super backpack (w/ 100oz hydration system)
    Autograph binder
    Darth Vader & Darth Maul Entertainment Weekly Mags
    Bottle of Alieve
    Babywipes (They work for a quick cleaning)
    Powerbar for between meal pick me ups

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.