main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CIII survival checklist - What should we pack?!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by brokenyolk, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruno_Fett

Bruno_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    the "C" word?

You mean Clone?

2. SkoXylo

SkoXylo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    scott1701: Question... for those of us coming alone (and a bit shy as well)... would anyone recommend bringing portable gaming devices such as the gameboy or the Sony PSP? Something to pass the time in lines and, especially in the case of the PSP, conversation starters?

Having done this exact thing before, I find that it only serves to keep people from talking to you - no one wants to interupt. :D

3. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    I agree! Celebration is a social event as well a Star Wars one. At C2 everyone was really friendly. We are all there because of our love of Star Wars. You'll definitely have something to talk to people about. DON'T BE SHY!!!

Oh, & the suit thing? Thats up to you, but personally, I would rather not feel like I'm at work. I'm definitely not going to blow my money on an over priced restaurant that requires me to wear a suit. Knowing how much my wife packs, I doubt any of these ladies are going to spare the room to bring a formal dress, unless y'all have already made plans. When I get the option, I'm going to Buffalo Wild Wings & Jillians!!!

4. scott1701

scott1701 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    Fully understand now why not to bring the PSP...

Will still bring the suit though... I just love a good meal out. I eat at Buffalo Wings weekly (local hangout) and am looking forward to Ruth's Chris or Oceanaire.

And to the person who wanted to know whether or not the suit and dinner comes before or after the condoms... well, I guess that's for me to know and someone else to find out [face_mischief]

5. obi-going_to_cel_III

obi-going_to_cel_III Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    The reason why I am thinking about carrying the laptop around is because unless i find a way to get another sd card, my camera only holds about 115 pics, and I am probably gonna buy a lot more the that i think. So it comes down to lugging it around or not taking as many pics as i want to :(

6. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    I would offer a suggestion. PErhaps it might be wise to ship certain items to your respective hotels beforehand. Sewing kits and other items. Even the costumes and attendant props. I think it will save you all ALOT of hassle. After all Han Solo's blaster is built on a British type of handgun. And again may G-d, and the Force be with you all.

7. BADKARMAJMC333

BADKARMAJMC333 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2004
    "Why is it that only those of you with Fett icons mention the "C" word? LOL "

Becuse great minds think allike. LOL!

8. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Please bring breathe mints or gum please.

9. Lone_Gunman

Lone_Gunman Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2003
    Something that has helped me tremoundsly over the years at various conventions - a travel vest. I got mine from Orvis, and it is loaded with 18 different pockets. You can carry a lot of stuff in it - cameras, film, small purchases, notebooks, snacks, pens, markers, keys, batteries - the list goes on. Combo that with a good pair of cargo pants or shorts, and you're good to go. I find that the distribution of weight is much easier to manage than having a lot of weight in a backpack. It's also easier to organize. I get a lot more use out of the vest than just at sci-fi conventions. I use it almost any time I'm travelling. Sometimes, I use a backpack, too, and I have to admit that the vest does occasionally get hot. But mostly, my philosophy is this: Pockets are good. Lots and lots of pockets.

Oh, and the mention of restaurants by Kir Kanos and scott1701 just brought this to mind.

If any of you are driving to Indy from the south, and if you have any love of cheeseburgers at all, you have got to stop at Cheeseburger in Paradise. Oh, man, do they have some awesome burgers! There are other items on the menu, too, but I've not tried them. They are definitely worth the stop. They're at Exit 103 on I-65.

10. scar2d2

scar2d2 Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2005
    I know one thing I wished I took with me To CII was was an extra luggage bag you know the one you can fold in to you main luggage for all the stuff you buy at CIII.I am also planning to bring my Star Wars Battleship game. Going there alone hopefully I won't have to play single player mode The whole time I'm there.

11. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    Roughly how much money should I bring for spending money? I have the plane and everything like that paid for, so does $400 spending money sound good? Exclusive Vader, Tee-Shirt, Some Autographs, A ton of Camera photos, How much is enough?

12. Darth_Raptor

Darth_Raptor Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002
    What would you guys suggest I purchase to use as an autograph folder? I didn't do the whole autograph thing last two celebrations, and I want to make sure I have something I can put the autographs in that wont mess up the fresh signature, etc.

Ideas?

Thanks!

13. movieboy

movieboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2005
    I bought a 1/2" three ring binder, and a pack of top loading clear sleeves. You can get them at any office supply story. Should not be more then 5.00 total.

14. b5lurker

b5lurker Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2005
    scott1701,

I am definitely bringing my Sony PSP, so the more there with them the better, since we can play multiplayer wireless. With all of those long lines you are going to need something to pass the time! If you have Untold Legends, definitely bring it for wireless multiplayer dungeon hunting!

15. Psxjedi76

Psxjedi76 FanForce Chapter Rep star 4 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    I am packing my Mummy sleeping bag to camp out for lucas and get as much sleep as possible before 6 am

16. Dehvokahn

Dehvokahn Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2005
    Hello All!

All great Ideas! I'm compiling a list of things to bring both to the hotel room and to the convention itself in a backpack, and when it's done I'll post. It's so close I can taste it!

Here's something to consider:

To reduce the cash spent on food at the convention, which I'm sure will be WAY over priced (I read something somewhere about a $5 bottle of water .. Sheesh!), think about bringing a mini-fridge if your hotel room doesn't have one. Same thing with a Microwave, maybe even a toaster. Here are just a few things I'm bringing:

Mini-Fridge
    Microwave
    Toaster
    Coffee Maker
    Coffee/Sugar/Cream
    Computer
    Hub/Network Cable (to share pictures with my buddies staying with me during the convention)
    Digital Camera
    Video Camera

Please Note: Video Camera may not be allowed. I'm bringing it, but if I find out it's not allowed, I'll have to leave it in the Hotel room.

Also, besides TP (toilet paper) for the trip, if you're staying in a cheap hotel like I am cuz I don't have a lot of money, bring your own TP so it's nice n' soft, rather than hard and coarse. Sounds kinda, wierd, to think about that for a convention, but if you stay in a Motel 6, you'll be happy you brought your own TP.

Well that's all for now ... peace!

Dehvokahn

Click below to find out how
    software pattents effect you!

17. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Anyone else going to bring a backpack so they can carry stuff around? (water bottle, snacks, duct tape, camera, etc)

Also, I don't think I saw this but don't forget a calling card!! It's way expensive to call home from a hotel and you never know when you're going to need to run to the nearest payphone (or use your cell without paying TOO much for roaming plus longdistance) and call your mom and be like "I JUST SAW GEORGE LUCAS!!!"

=)

18. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Looks like you may need to bring an umbrella or some kinda rain-gear, too. The long-range forcast for Thursday and Friday is rain over Indiana. :(

19. darth-jar

darth-jar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2000
    Umbrella's is a good idea(especially if you were at CI).

I need to bring my Lightsaber belt clip. I forgot it during CII and had to actually carry the thing all the time. :oops:

Note to self: BRING LIGHTSABER BELT CLIP!

20. Tony-WanKenobiNC

Tony-WanKenobiNC Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    for the rain, just go to Target or Wal-Mart and grab one of those $1 ponchos..........about the size of PDA unopened (so it fits in any bag or even your pocket quite well) and if you need to open it up and use it, it covers you very well...i'll probably buy a couple of these tomorrow, unless the wife says we still have some here.

21. audiogirl21

audiogirl21 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2001
    i thought of something else....one of those microwavable heat packs- gel, or (?)bean.....i know i'll need one if i'm carrying a pack around....

22. Tony-WanKenobiNC

Tony-WanKenobiNC Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    Sith M&M's ;) like, duh-huh and stuff :)

....and if you're driving and some fly into your dash, well, you'll be alright...no melting worries...they have a thick candy shell :)

23. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    as sick as this will sound:

1 needle
    1 bobin of thread
    1 roll of duct tape

Perfect solution for Blisters.

It seems odd at first, but sow your blister with an X of thread (it doesn't hurt since the skin is already lifted), this will help evacuate the extra fluid.
    And then just to be more comfortable and not make them worse, apply a patch of duct tape on top of it before going back out standing in line.

I didn't believe it at first, but it does work.

However, I wish all of you a blister free Celebration III

24. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    I'll be representin the Wolfpack in my NC State rain poncho if neccessary. :D

25. Siri_Ruane

Siri_Ruane Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Sith M&M's like, duh-huh and stuff

And lava explosion pop tarts! my breakfast every morning while waiting in line. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.