main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Mandalorian Cinematic techniques in the tv shows

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by 3sm1r, Dec 29, 2020.

1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I have found this very interesting video about the use of virtual sets as opposed to green screen in The Mandalorian.

It has several advantages. Of course, the most evident is that the characters can see their surrounding during the filming.

But there is much more than that. The light on the filmed objects will look more natural and they can avoid technical difficulties like the spill (green light reflected by objects in the scene).

Here we can discuss about the filming technology and visual effects in the show.

If the thread already exist, please link it to me 'cause I couldn't find it.

Bor Mullet, TCF-1138 and bstnsx704 like this.
  2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I'm sure it's nice for them but it's really done for the shooting not for the actors. Besides that it's not like they don't still use plenty of screen work.

It still comes down to them using their imagination at times because so much of what is going on around them just isn't there.

Some of the times anyway because a lot of the time it's just about the script and getting directions to react to what is going to be there even when it isn't.

3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Qui-Riv-Brid
    Well, the difference is rather striking, as you can see in the video. Just compare to the scene of Avengers.

Then yes, you are not wrong that there are still several elements that are added on a later stage, but the main background is already there during filming and I can believe them if they say that it makes a big difference.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    There are massive benefits to the Volume.

1. Actor immersion

2. In-camera lighting from the screens is FAR superior to lighting greenscreen sets and adding digital lighting later. It looks 100% natural.

3. You can create exactly the kind of realistic, natural lighting you want for scenes. If you want to use "golden hour" lighting from before sunset, you just turn a dial and you have it. And can shoot in that lighting forever, if you want. No need to rush against the sun, or shoot during the harsh noontime, or worry about the weather.

4. Much cheaper than location-shooting, and arguably, BETTER than location-shooting due to the ability to control the environment while capturing a completely natural look. Greenscreen studio or backlot sets were never, ever better options (in terms of capturing naturalistic visuals) than on-location shooting. The Volume changes that completely. IMO, there's literally no need to shoot on-location anymore.

5. The only episode of the Mandalorian that shot on-location was The Tragedy which shot in Simi Valley. And IMO (and a lot of people felt this way) it's worst-looking, visually, of the episodes. At times it looks fan-made. This is a very compelling argument, to me, for Volume-only filming for Lucasfilm in the future.

El_Machete12 and TCF-1138 like this.
  5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    You are pushing it too far.

While I agree that it has several benefits, arguing that on-location shooting at this point is obsolete sounds rather exaggerated.
    The fact that The Tragedy looked worse for some people means rather little. You'd need to compare it to the exact same scenario made virtually. I'd say that if they decided to go for that, they must have concluded that for that specific scenario on-location actually had its merits?

6. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    Yea, I don't think I'd be too interested in a Mission Impossible movie shot only on digital sets.

Sarge and Joystick Chevron like this.
  7. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    While the Volume certainly works well as a replacement for green screen, it's a poor replacement for on-location filming. Season 2 showed this off as much as it did the benefits, in my opinion. There's often a claustrophobic feeling to the locations, and frankly a lot of the integration with the actors still looks fake and unconvincing. Cobb Vanth on the speeder, appropriately, is some Justified driving-level stuff. It's a great advancement, and a fantastic evolution of green screens that seems immensely helpful to actors and provides accurate lighting. But a replacement for location stuff? Definitely not. Maybe it'll get there one day, but for now I don't think it's a serviceable replacement for real location work.

Glitterstimm, TCF-1138 and 3sm1r like this.
  8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Also, it seems to me that the camera movements remain limited with respect to on-location. I don't see how they could do long sequence shots with this technique (indeed we rarely see them in the show).

TCF-1138 likes this.
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The Volume looks so much better than greenscreen IMO, but it does limit creativity to an extent as well. It simply doesn't allow for much movement; both the camera and the actors have a very limited space to work within. The reason they shot The Tragedy on location was exactly that. They wanted large spaces for the characters to move around in, and that simply wouldn't be possible in the Volume.

10. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    They still have in-between approaches, too, like the boat in Chapter 11.

11. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    It doesn't seem super popular an opinion on here, but I find The Tragedy to be visually one of their best episodes and that's part of the reason why. You can't fake the dimensonal quality of those hills on a flat backdrop and the choices made in terms of camera movements and shot choices really highlight the benefits of on-location shooting. @HolyKenobi93 brought up the Mission Impossible movies, and whil budget is absolutely part of the disparity in visuals between the two - you can't fake something like Tom Cruise booking it across rooftops or that chase through the streets of Paris on a thirty foot stage and have it look as good. The Volume is a fantastic substute, but for green screen. It provides automatic feedback, correct lighting, and allows for the actors to understand the environment they're playing off. But it's too flat to replace real location work.

HolyKenobi93 and Sarge like this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Alright, after thinking about it some more, please allow me to get a bit nerdy. :-B

Another limiting factor with the Volume is that they can't use really deep focus (large depth of field), as actually having a huge LED screen in focus would produce a Moiré effect in camera (if you point your phone camera at your TV or computer screen you can see this). This is why the show is shot on large format cameras, as a larger camera sensor produces a shallower depth of field, allowing them to always have the background (screen) slightly out of focus (even at higher T-Stops and with wide angle lenses, if you want to get technical), hiding any Moiré.

And going back to the size of the Volume, the limited space also limits focal lengths (sizes of the lenses), as they won't necessarily be able to back far enough away to use really long (telephoto) lenses, losing that background compression. This is why almost the entire show is shot with wide lenses.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The rationale given was that the action was too big to be captured on the Volume, given its size limitations. Thus far. But the Volume has expanded in size since season 1, and is likely to just...keep getting bigger (at least as big as affordable studio space is). So I think the "it isn't big enough for some things" rationale may become increasingly rare. And in this case, I thought the direction could've benefited from being geographically limited a bit. Because they roamed around wherever they wanted, Rodriguez wasn't constrained into carefully staging shots. And so it all looked rather...poorly staged. Of course, a different director could've taken a wholly different approach. But I think most directors that like to carefully stage their scenes would have been able to work within the constraints of the current Volume. I mean, look at Favreau's episode, The Marshall. The action was absolutely huge and epic, all done in the Volume, and looked much better than in the Tragedy.

In short, as the Volume gets bigger, the rationale for shooting on-location will likely diminish to almost zero. I really think that's the future.
    For me, that's good, as I much, much prefer a shallower depth of field. It simply looks more realistic to me, especially when the scenes are lit naturally. But that's admittedly a particular bias of mine.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Read what TCF has to say above. He knows his stuff.

As a less competent comment, I was more naively arguing that long, dynamic sequence shots would be very difficult with the virtual sets, I think, due to practical space limitations. Imagine if you wanted to follow a character walking with a single shot on a long distance, with some interesting camera movement following them. It seems to me that it could become prohibitive with virtual sets. I mean I don't work in the field but it sounds rather challenging to properly adapt the background. On the other hand, on-location the background can be pretty much as large as you want it too be.

TCF-1138 and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup, I responded. I get that, and get that TCF knows far more than I do on the subject. Though as my aesthetic preferences for film and TV are heavily biased towards a shallow depth of field, I have an interest in technologies that force directors to go that route. ;)

I actually think that was one of the issues with The Tragedy looking fan made. The large depth of field. Though there were many other aspects of Rodriguez's direction that contributed to that feeling.
    And that's exactly the kind of limitation I like... :)
    I didn't feel any claustrophobia in the locations, apart from the planet in the opening scene of season one, and some sequences on Nevarro and Sorgan. Tatooine and Arvala-7, for example, look vaster than any locations I've seen thus far in Star Wars, barring perhaps Lahmu from Rogue One.

3sm1r likes this.
  16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Of course it makes it cooler for them on an actor level so they can feel they are actually on-location. For the actual technical shooting it means that you can capture in camera that much more which presumably takes a fair amount of time off of the post-production which helps on a TV series budget with it's faster turnaround compared to a movie.

That said I doubt that the same kinds of movie-makers who insist on shooting on film rather than digital would be so inclined to recreate desert planets in a studio or back lot instead of going to do the raw shooting on locations. Even though most of what is seen on screen will still be done in post-production.

The test of these techniques will be if they recreate the Lars homestead for the Obi-Wan series. They certainly aren't going back to Tunisia like AOTC did. Comparing the feel of such a well known place all within the studio environment will be interesting.

Which brings up the point of it's supposed budget of 15 million per episode. TPM costs 115M in 1999 dollars and about 180M in today's dollars. That'd be roughly 45M per half hour or 3 times the budget of Mandalorian.

Obviously then 15 million can't get you much!

Surely they could do better?

3sm1r likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed!

Bor Mullet and 3sm1r like this.
  18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Bumping this thread, as I don't think this video has been posted before.

The more I see of The Volume, the more impressed I get. As I mentioned in the thread last year, it has its limitations, but most filmmaking techniques do. Compared to putting actors in a completely green room, this is vastly superior. Not only does it help actors (listening to Ewan McGregor's comments about OWK vs the PT makes this very clear), but it's also much better for directors. As Taika Waititi puts it in the video above, "it's a great throwback to a time when people would make decisions before post" - real time rendering allows directors (and DPs) to be sure of where they're putting the camera, just like on location/full set shooting. And the interactive lighting is perfect for Star Wars, with all the reflective surfaces. Before The Volume, all the green or blue from the screens would need to be painted out frame by frame in all reflections. Just imagine the amount of work that would mean in a show with a guy in chrome armor.

I haven't read up on this closely, but I think ILM developed their own real-time rendering engine for season 2, unlike the first season where they used Unreal Engine. Unreal is a fantastic tool (I'm currently trying to learn it), but it's not specifically made for filmmaking, and has its limitations. With a dedicated filmmaking engine, the possibilities are basically endless.

Anyway, it's a cool video. :p

Grey Matter and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. I felt the potential from the beginning, and believe that in a short amount of time, most if not all of the limitations will fall away.