main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ Class #s 1-3: Mark-ups, and Flaming. ALL are welcome!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by hear+soul, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emperor_Kilo

Emperor_Kilo Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2004
    :D Very good D_D!! :D

2. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    But we should have CJ somewhere so that people know that we are the ones who are doing this...

3. Emperor_Kilo

Dec 27, 2004
    Why would people care who is doing this? I mean they wouldn't care if it was an admin or a CJ. Why would they care? No offence of coarse.

4. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    The name is no problem. I'll handle that with Pash.

We [the CJ] need to worry about the new subject.

5. Emperor_Kilo

Dec 27, 2004
    The new subject shall be.........um........signatures? Or how to watch people?

6. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    That's an allright subject.

CJ class #2- Personalize your JC.

It could tell you all about sigs, profiles, WUL, icons, etc.

[will have different name]

Any other ideas?

7. Emperor_Kilo

Dec 27, 2004
    Um......How about something telling people what all those abbreviatians are. (Such as OPPM=one post per minute)

8. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    ok.

CJ class#2- Things every JCer should know.

9. Emperor_Kilo

Dec 27, 2004
    THat's all for now. :)

10. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    good ideas...

*glares at CJ members*
    How come YOU aren't in the CJ Kilo?

It's pretty cool, now that we got our homepage up.

here: CJ HQ

11. jade_saber8000

jade_saber8000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 18, 2004
    Ok! I'm Gabby doing the Smiley Lesson. DD will probably do Markup codes later on ok?

Smilies are actually very easy to use. It takes a little while, but sooner or later, you won't be able to forget.

Smilies always start out like this [face_
    after the _ you need to type in the specific type of smiley you want and a bracket like this ]
    To help you remember which smiley is which, you should go to the page called "Faces" and print out the code list.
    Thats it. Thanks for listening. DD, is that all i need to do?
    ~Gabby

12. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Ok guys, Class #2- Markups and smilies.

First of all, remember that all newbies are invited!
    You will benefit from our [the Crimson Jedi's] classes!
    These are things all user should know.

Now, it took me a LONG time to learn the markups and smilies. But believe me, once you learn them, you use them ALOT!

So, I am going to talk to you today about Markup codes. Here is the link: markup codes
    There you go; class over.

Just kidding! :p Even knowing the link, I still couldn't figure it out! So now I'm going to break it down piece by piece.

bold text: To make bold text, copy and paste this: [bold text]

italicised text: To make italicised text, copy and paste this: [italicised text]

underlined text: [underlined text]

Ok, that was the easy stuff. Now to a slightly harder markup: colors. There are two kinds of colors: text color and highlight color.

text color: In order to make your text blue, red, green, or any other color you like, you simply do this: [color=whatever color you like here]colored text[/color]. Got it?

So, in order to make red text copy and paste this: [color=red]red text[/color]

Now for highilighted text. Highlighted text will make the background for your text whatever color you like. In order to make highlighted text, do this: highlighted text.

So, in order to make red highlighted text, copy and paste this: [hl=red]red highlighted text[/hl]

Ok guys and gals, now for the really hard stuff: images and links. This one took me a good long while to figure out, but I'm gonna lay it out for you right here.

Links: in order to make links, do this: whatever text you would like to represent the link.

So, in order to make a link to the Crimson Jedi headquarters copy and paste this: [link=http://crimsonjedi.proboards38.com/index.cgi]Crimson Jedi headquarters[/link]

Images: In order to post pictures on the good old JC, do this: [image=whatever image you like (except inappropriate ones)]. You see, this markup is different from the others. You don't need a [/image].

So, in order to post a picture of Kir Kanos, copy and paste this: [image=http://www.geocities.com/lord_sabrestrike69/kir_kanos.jpg]

Kir Kanos: [image=http://www.geocities.com/lord_sabrestrike69/kir_kanos.jpg]

Extra stuff: Now we will deal with header rules and blocked quotes.

Header rukes: In order to do header rules, simply copy and paste this: [hr] This is another one that doesn't need a [/hr].

Here is an example:

[b]Blocked quotes:[/b] In order to create blocked quotes, copy and paste this: [b][[/b]blockquote]blocked quote text[/blockquote[b]][/b]

example: [blockquote]DD is the coolest![/blockquote]

[b]Combining markups:[/b] There is one more thing that you need to know. In order to combine markups, simply place the beginning of one markup next to the beginning of another markup, type the text, and do the reverse of the beginning. Confused? I would be to. So here is an example:

In order to make this: [b][i]DD rocks![/i][/b], copy and paste this: [b][[/b]b][b][[/b]i]DD rocks![/i[b]][/b][/b[b]][/b]

Ok JCers, that's it for know. Please add anything Jade or I missed. :)

And Gabs, I pmed you what else I would like for you to do.

13. Emperor_Kilo

Dec 27, 2004
    Um....I was just wondering...what exactly are block quotes??

14. Magik

Magik Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2004
    This is a block quote

15. Emperor_Kilo

Dec 27, 2004
    No, that's a highlight.

16. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    [face_laugh]

A block quote is a quote that is separated from the rest of your post. Normally [in other forums] it's in it's own lined box. But on the JC, the box is invisible....

This is a block quote

You use it to quote someone else if you feel like bein all fancy like.

17. Emperor_Kilo

Dec 27, 2004
    I see....... [face_plain]

18. Magik

Magik Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2004
    actually that was a highlighted block quote

19. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    You can either follow DD's instructions and memorize the codes...or, you can open a second window, type your messages into the MUGen (mark up code generator) and just copy and paste. THis is a really easy program and is run via Flash. Tis is how I do all my links, Color changes (48 different colors available
    Add the most offen used faces :) :oops: :D [face_love] [face_mischief] [face_monkey] [-o| ect.
    ANd do tones of other stuff, like
    block quote
    and the other stuff.

In fact, its how I did this page....I strongly suggest it.

20. Emperor_Kilo

Dec 27, 2004
  21. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    One question:
    Why have you made some of the square brackets bold? :confused:
    Is there a reason? Otherwise without bold square brackets it won't come up the question, if it is needed to write MUCs. ;)

And one comment:
    The explanation about bold, italicized and underlined doesn't work that way. ;)
    You should change it in your post above. ;) :)

Oh, and two last things... the complete color listing shows you a lot of possible colors. :)

And for the links, images etc. you need to write the URL with "http://", otherwise it won't work. :(
    And if you are too lazy two use MUCs, you can just write the whole url and it will converted automatically into a usable link - like http://www.theforce.net :)

22. FORCE-WIELDER1

FORCE-WIELDER1 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 8, 2004
    I see the classes are going well. Good job D_D. Oh I need the list of all the newest members. THanks.

23. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Why have you made some of the square brackets bold?
    Is there a reason? Otherwise without bold square brackets it won't come up the question, if it is needed to write MUCs.

b/c If I type it in normal it actually makes the markup. Plus you can copy and paste it and it will work.

what do you mean "won't come up th e question?

And about the bold stuff. YOU'RE RIGHT! Man... I even proof read it! Oh well... here it is...

bold text: To make bold text, copy and paste this: [b]bold text[/b]

italicised text: To make italicised text, copy and paste this: [i]italicised text[/i]

underlined text: [u]underlined text[/u]

24. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    Let me see...

[b]This text will be bold.[/b]

See normal MUC. ;)

25. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Nice. I didn't know if you did it twice it shows up like that. :p

Thread Status: